Cybereagles

The Undisputed Number One Home for All Super Eagles Fans
It is currently Wed Oct 28, 2020 11:13 pm

All times are UTC + 1 hour




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 45 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
Author Message
PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2020 10:21 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Dec 30, 2003 9:33 pm
Posts: 10235
The boy is good!

_________________
I am happy


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2020 10:33 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jan 26, 2012 9:35 am
Posts: 8469
Everton make enquiry over defender Mohammed Salisu

Everton have asked about Real Valladolid defender Mohammed Salisu.

The 21-year old centre back has a £10.8million release clause and has also drawn enquiries from Southampton and Manchester United.

Rennes had agreed to pay his clause but the Ghanaian is holding out for a Premier League club.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/footb ... lause.html

_________________
Okoye -- O. Aina, TroostEkong, Omeruo, C. Awaziem --- Sarenren Bazee, Ndidi, Ogochukwu Frank, Chukwueze --- Iheanacho, Ighalo


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2020 6:51 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jan 26, 2012 9:35 am
Posts: 8469
Southampton: Club are Closing in on Mohammed Salisu

Southampton have been chasing a Centre-back for sometime now and it seems like they are about to get their man, Mohammed Salisu.
The 21-year-old defender has reportedly picked Southampton as the club he wants to go to next, all that is needed is his work permit to be accepted. The decision for the player was between Saints and Rennes in the French League but the player ultimately picked the South Coast club.

This is exciting news for Saints supporters as they have been waiting to sign a new defender for sometime now and Salisu is a very promising young talent. His release clause was only £12m so this is seen as many by a great piece of business for the club.

For awhile it appeared the player was going to pick Rennes but now it seems the player wants to join the Premier League. The Ghanaian international is having just a flat out tremendous season for Real Valladolid and I for one am very excited to see what he can do in the Premier League.

He stands at 6’3″ and weighs 82kg and is a formidable force in the back-line. He is really the perfect fit for this club as he is a pure defender who is good at making tackles and throwing himself in-front of shots. Not to mention he is only 21-years-of-age and it gives Hasenhuttl the chance to mold him into the player he wants and needs.

https://saintsmarching.com/2020/07/14/s ... ed-salisu/

_________________
Okoye -- O. Aina, TroostEkong, Omeruo, C. Awaziem --- Sarenren Bazee, Ndidi, Ogochukwu Frank, Chukwueze --- Iheanacho, Ighalo


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2020 3:43 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jan 26, 2012 9:35 am
Posts: 8469
Mohammed Salisu set to complete Southampton move

Ghana defender Mohammed Salisu has agreed to join English Premier League outfit Southampton in the summer transfer window.

The 21-year old has agreed a four year deal with the Saints and is set to complete his dream move to the English top-flight in the coming days.

Southampton have triggered the £10.9 million release clause of the defender, who agreed to move to the Saint Mary's Park for regular football.

Salisu enjoyed a breakthrough season with La Liga club Real Valladolid in the just ended campaign, playing 31 games and scoring a goal for the Purple and Whites.

His outstanding performances saw him attract interest from top clubs including Manchester United, but the swashbuckling defender chose to join Southampton.

Mohammed Salisu joined the youth set up of Real Valladolid in 2017, before gradually paving his way into the first team of the club.

https://ghanasoccernet.com/mohammed-sal ... um=twitter

_________________
Okoye -- O. Aina, TroostEkong, Omeruo, C. Awaziem --- Sarenren Bazee, Ndidi, Ogochukwu Frank, Chukwueze --- Iheanacho, Ighalo


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2020 4:33 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jan 26, 2012 9:35 am
Posts: 8469
Southampton chief Semmens delivers latest transfer update
The Saints have shed light on issues surrounding their anticipated signing of the Real Valladolid centre-back
Southampton chief executive officer Martin Semmens has confirmed the club "are in the process" of wrapping up a deal for Real Valladolid centre-back Mohammed Salisu.

In just his first season of senior football, the Ghanaian made headlines in La Liga with a streak of fine 2019-20 performances which attracted the interest of a host of top European clubs.

At the end, Saints and French side Stade Rennais went head-to-head for his signature but speculation suggested there was also initial interest from the likes of Manchester United, Atletico Madrid and Real Madrid.

https://www.goal.com/en/news/salisu-sou ... 2ku1n6m96m

_________________
Okoye -- O. Aina, TroostEkong, Omeruo, C. Awaziem --- Sarenren Bazee, Ndidi, Ogochukwu Frank, Chukwueze --- Iheanacho, Ighalo


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2020 10:38 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Dec 30, 2003 9:33 pm
Posts: 10235
Rawlings wrote:
Southampton chief Semmens delivers latest transfer update
The Saints have shed light on issues surrounding their anticipated signing of the Real Valladolid centre-back
Southampton chief executive officer Martin Semmens has confirmed the club "are in the process" of wrapping up a deal for Real Valladolid centre-back Mohammed Salisu.

In just his first season of senior football, the Ghanaian made headlines in La Liga with a streak of fine 2019-20 performances which attracted the interest of a host of top European clubs.

At the end, Saints and French side Stade Rennais went head-to-head for his signature but speculation suggested there was also initial interest from the likes of Manchester United, Atletico Madrid and Real Madrid.

https://www.goal.com/en/news/salisu-sou ... 2ku1n6m96m

Why has Salisu turned down invitations to play for the Black Stars?
Is he holding out for a SE invitation?

_________________
I am happy


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2020 4:47 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jan 26, 2012 9:35 am
Posts: 8469
Dammy wrote:
Rawlings wrote:
Southampton chief Semmens delivers latest transfer update
The Saints have shed light on issues surrounding their anticipated signing of the Real Valladolid centre-back
Southampton chief executive officer Martin Semmens has confirmed the club "are in the process" of wrapping up a deal for Real Valladolid centre-back Mohammed Salisu.

In just his first season of senior football, the Ghanaian made headlines in La Liga with a streak of fine 2019-20 performances which attracted the interest of a host of top European clubs.

At the end, Saints and French side Stade Rennais went head-to-head for his signature but speculation suggested there was also initial interest from the likes of Manchester United, Atletico Madrid and Real Madrid.

https://www.goal.com/en/news/salisu-sou ... 2ku1n6m96m

Why has Salisu turned down invitations to play for the Black Stars?
Is he holding out for a SE invitation?


He wanted a foot in England first
Now that it is done, be sure to see him play for the next AFCON champs, Ghana

_________________
Okoye -- O. Aina, TroostEkong, Omeruo, C. Awaziem --- Sarenren Bazee, Ndidi, Ogochukwu Frank, Chukwueze --- Iheanacho, Ighalo


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2020 2:26 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Dec 27, 2003 6:41 am
Posts: 40053
Location: Land of the Terrapins
Rawlings wrote:
Dammy wrote:
Rawlings wrote:
Southampton chief Semmens delivers latest transfer update
The Saints have shed light on issues surrounding their anticipated signing of the Real Valladolid centre-back
Southampton chief executive officer Martin Semmens has confirmed the club "are in the process" of wrapping up a deal for Real Valladolid centre-back Mohammed Salisu.

In just his first season of senior football, the Ghanaian made headlines in La Liga with a streak of fine 2019-20 performances which attracted the interest of a host of top European clubs.

At the end, Saints and French side Stade Rennais went head-to-head for his signature but speculation suggested there was also initial interest from the likes of Manchester United, Atletico Madrid and Real Madrid.

https://www.goal.com/en/news/salisu-sou ... 2ku1n6m96m

Why has Salisu turned down invitations to play for the Black Stars?
Is he holding out for a SE invitation?


He wanted a foot in England first
Now that it is done, be sure to see him play for the next AFCON champs, Ghana


Wouldn’t he need NT caps to get a work permit??

_________________
Super Eagus 4 Life!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2020 12:10 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jan 26, 2012 9:35 am
Posts: 8469
Southampton sign Mohammed Salisu from Real Valladolid for £10.9m

Southampton have completed the £10.9million signing of Mohammed Salisu from Real Valladolid.

The Ghanaian centre-back has agreed a four-year deal at St Mary’s, becoming the club’s second summer arrival after Kyle Walker-Peters made the permanent switch from Tottenham.

Ralph Hasenhuttl hailed the 21-year-old Salisu as a defender of rich promise, with Saints continuing their rebuilding after selling midfielder Pierre-Emile Hojbjerg to Tottenham for £20m.

Salisu moved to Valladolid from Ghana in 2017, quickly establishing himself as a first-team regular. Now Saints boss Hasenhuttl expects him to shine in the Premier League.

https://sports.yahoo.com/southampton-si ... 16005.html

_________________
Okoye -- O. Aina, TroostEkong, Omeruo, C. Awaziem --- Sarenren Bazee, Ndidi, Ogochukwu Frank, Chukwueze --- Iheanacho, Ighalo


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2020 5:11 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jan 26, 2012 9:35 am
Posts: 8469
To Southampton supporters, this is their new £10.9m signing from La Liga - the Ghanaian centre-back labelled 'the Wall of Valladolid'. But the Spaniard still recalls the shy boy who turned up for one of his first sessions at his African Talent Football Academy without even boots in which to play.

Salisu borrowed a pair from one of the goalkeepers. The rest is history.

"I was about to kick him out," laughs Fran.

"But he caught my attention within 10 minutes. Salisu is special. Off the pitch, he was quiet and calm. He liked being alone or with three or four of his closest friends. He was very shy.

"On the pitch, everything changed. Character, aggression and leadership.

"He always wanted to win and he was capable of forgetting bad moments very quickly. His rapid rise has not been easy, but he has a very strong personality and knows what he wants."

Fran's own story is fascinating. Born near Madrid, he had a coaching career in his homeland working with young players at Jaen and Leganes before making the unusual move to pursue his career in Africa. He took up roles in Niger and Mauritania working with the best young talent around before realising his vision for an ambitious new project in Accra, Ghana's capital.

"I was tired of working in Spain," he explains. "The opportunities were limited and the salaries were low. I needed a new challenge and I have always liked Africa so I made the move.

"I had been working in Africa for five years and even managed to bring a player to Europe with the help of an agent. I realised that the boys were good, they had a lot of talent but their preparation was very poor. They needed better training, better nutrition and many other things too.

"In addition, I noticed that in Ghana, in any part of the country, even in the smallest town, there can be a great player that nobody has seen or given the opportunity."

With the help of an investor, in 2017, the African Talent Football Academy was born.

Fran's idea was to prepare the young boys in his academy for Europe - in every sense. Education is compulsory. Language skills are taught with the players learning French and Spanish. The focus is on ensuring that the subsequent transition will be as smooth as possible.

"We prepare them as footballers and as people," he says. "We want them to be prepared for the day that they arrive in Europe. We also know that many will not make it and still not return home so we want them to be prepared for that other life that they may have there too.

"On a psychological level, we work on character, empathy, resilience, competitiveness. We have many talks with them so that they learn to express themselves and to give their opinion. We want them to be strong to face difficulties and to be able to analyse and overcome problems.

"We also arrange trips to help in orphanages. We clean the beaches. That is so they see that there are people who do not have the opportunity that they have and that they should never forget this."

Salisu went through all of these experiences, while having access to top coaching. The idea was simple but demanding. He would need to be prepared for anything that was expected of him.

"Physically, they do not need a lot of work beyond the nutrition. Technically, we work on a lot. We enhance their strengths and we try to improve their weaknesses. There is an individual focus.

"In terms of tactics, we try to make them understand the game, be intelligent and be capable of making good decisions, but we do not really teach them any one system. That is not our main objective. We want them to be able to play within different systems and game models."

Salisu stood out because he picked everything up so quickly.

"He understood everything," says Fran.

"I was struck by the ability he had to improve. Every day he was a better player."



https://www.skysports.com/football/news ... rt-pitches

_________________
Okoye -- O. Aina, TroostEkong, Omeruo, C. Awaziem --- Sarenren Bazee, Ndidi, Ogochukwu Frank, Chukwueze --- Iheanacho, Ighalo


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2020 6:16 am 
Offline

Joined: Fri Dec 26, 2003 7:55 pm
Posts: 8849
Mods, you should start a dedicated forum for shortlings since he seems to have his own unique agenda❗️


Cheers.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2020 6:20 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jan 26, 2012 9:35 am
Posts: 8469
TonyTheTigerKiller wrote:
Mods, you should start a dedicated forum for shortlings since he seems to have his own unique agenda❗️
Cheers.


Mods, defamation of character

_________________
Okoye -- O. Aina, TroostEkong, Omeruo, C. Awaziem --- Sarenren Bazee, Ndidi, Ogochukwu Frank, Chukwueze --- Iheanacho, Ighalo


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2020 9:28 am 
Offline

Joined: Fri Dec 26, 2003 7:55 pm
Posts: 8849
Rawlings wrote:
TonyTheTigerKiller wrote:
Mods, you should start a dedicated forum for shortlings since he seems to have his own unique agenda❗️
Cheers.


Mods, defamation of character


How is that defamation? Are you not short❓ :mrgreen: ❗️


Cheers.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2020 6:17 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jan 26, 2012 9:35 am
Posts: 8469
Manchester United should keep a close eye on Salisu's progress as he follows Van Dijk's path

Manchester United may not have signed Mohammed Salisu this summer, but that does not mean they should forget about him altogether.

Prior to his £10.9million switch to Southampton (Sky Sports), the centre-back was linked with a move to Old Trafford.

Given his fine form in La Liga last season, the rumour was an exciting one. But, despite ESPN claiming United had enquired about the defender, he ended up not in Manchester but on the south coast.

It is an interesting move, highlighting potential parallels with arguably the best centre-back in Europe right now.

Many United fans are still wondering why the club did not go all out for Virgil van Dijk in his formative years. Instead he moved from Scotland to Southampton and the rest is history.

United may have missed out on the dominant Dutchman but it does not need to be a case of history repeating itself.

After all, if United boss Ole Gunnar Solskjaer is genuinely interested in Salisu, next season is the ideal audition. If he excels in the Premier League, the Red Devils would be wise to make a belated move before someone else does.

Only time will tell if he fulfils his potential. But Salisu’s quality is clear. At just 21, he excelled in his breakthrough La Liga campaign, quickly earning a Premier League move and plenty of plaudits.

A potential superstar
Despite United spending huge sums on centre-backs in recent years, talk continues that another will follow.

There are other exciting options out there – Dayot Upamecano and Benoit Badiashile among them – but neither will come cheap.

Solskjaer had the chance to get Salisu for a bargain fee this summer but he opted to look elsewhere. However, if he continues to be frustrated in his pursuit of a suitable alternative, a 2021 return to a former target should not be discounted.

Van Dijk moved for relative pennies on more than one occasion before sealing the huge move that took him out off United’s radar forever.

If Salisu follows the same route, Solskjaer and Ed Woodward will not want to miss out on another potential superstar.

https://www.unitedinfocus.com/news/manc ... ijks-path/

_________________
Okoye -- O. Aina, TroostEkong, Omeruo, C. Awaziem --- Sarenren Bazee, Ndidi, Ogochukwu Frank, Chukwueze --- Iheanacho, Ighalo


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2020 7:37 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Dec 24, 2003 1:55 am
Posts: 34232
Location: Canada
Rawlings wrote:
Manchester United should keep a close eye on Salisu's progress as he follows Van Dijk's path

Manchester United may not have signed Mohammed Salisu this summer, but that does not mean they should forget about him altogether.

Prior to his £10.9million switch to Southampton (Sky Sports), the centre-back was linked with a move to Old Trafford.

Given his fine form in La Liga last season, the rumour was an exciting one. But, despite ESPN claiming United had enquired about the defender, he ended up not in Manchester but on the south coast.

It is an interesting move, highlighting potential parallels with arguably the best centre-back in Europe right now.

Many United fans are still wondering why the club did not go all out for Virgil van Dijk in his formative years. Instead he moved from Scotland to Southampton and the rest is history.

United may have missed out on the dominant Dutchman but it does not need to be a case of history repeating itself.

After all, if United boss Ole Gunnar Solskjaer is genuinely interested in Salisu, next season is the ideal audition. If he excels in the Premier League, the Red Devils would be wise to make a belated move before someone else does.

Only time will tell if he fulfils his potential. But Salisu’s quality is clear. At just 21, he excelled in his breakthrough La Liga campaign, quickly earning a Premier League move and plenty of plaudits.

A potential superstar
Despite United spending huge sums on centre-backs in recent years, talk continues that another will follow.

There are other exciting options out there – Dayot Upamecano and Benoit Badiashile among them – but neither will come cheap.

Solskjaer had the chance to get Salisu for a bargain fee this summer but he opted to look elsewhere. However, if he continues to be frustrated in his pursuit of a suitable alternative, a 2021 return to a former target should not be discounted.

Van Dijk moved for relative pennies on more than one occasion before sealing the huge move that took him out off United’s radar forever.

If Salisu follows the same route, Solskjaer and Ed Woodward will not want to miss out on another potential superstar.

https://www.unitedinfocus.com/news/manc ... ijks-path/

He is good, but is he really 21? :sneaky: :D :taunt: Anyway, if we are looking for a young defender who is a potential van Dijk, it is dominant Dayot Upamecano. Salisu bears watching tho.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2020 3:36 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jan 26, 2012 9:35 am
Posts: 8469
Mohammed Salisu in top shape for Southampton EPL opener against Crystal Palace

New signing Mohammed Salisu is preparing for the start of the 2020/21 English Premier League season with Southampton.

The 20-year-old centre back showed a lot of promise last season in the Spanish La Liga with Real Valladolid.

Salisu signed a four-year contract worth £10.9 million.

On Tuesday, 8 September 2020, he was spotted at the club's training ground, Staplewood Campus in Marchwood, Hampshire.

Salisu is expected to make the match day squad on Saturday, 12 September, when the Saints travel to Crystal Palace for their season opener.

https://ghanasoccernet.com/video-mohamm ... um=twitter

_________________
Okoye -- O. Aina, TroostEkong, Omeruo, C. Awaziem --- Sarenren Bazee, Ndidi, Ogochukwu Frank, Chukwueze --- Iheanacho, Ighalo


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2020 4:03 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jan 26, 2012 9:35 am
Posts: 8469
Mohammed Salisu is ready for his Premier League adventure

Even before his first full season in the Spanish top-flight was completed, central defender Mohammed Salisu had already been catching the attention of clubs around Europe. His form with Real Valladolid in LaLiga had been impressive, which prompted Premier League outfit Southampton to make their move.

The deal that took Salisu to England has reportedly cost Southampton around £10.9 million, and while that was regarded as a gamble by some pundits, after the transfer was announced in August, the club management are entirely satisfied.

They are confident they’ve landed one of the most promising young defenders in European football.

Last season was a real struggle for Southampton, who narrowly avoided relegation, therefore strengthening in defence was always going to be a key focus for their manager, Ralph Hasenhüttl.

The German coach regards his new Ghanaian signing as being a player with plenty of potential, confident he will adapt quickly to the demands of playing in the Premier League.
https://ghanasoccernet.com/mohammed-sal ... -adventure

_________________
Okoye -- O. Aina, TroostEkong, Omeruo, C. Awaziem --- Sarenren Bazee, Ndidi, Ogochukwu Frank, Chukwueze --- Iheanacho, Ighalo


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2020 11:52 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 13, 2004 4:09 pm
Posts: 10286
Is Salisu injured?

_________________
Bushboy's bushmen : 1. Odion Ighalo 2. Anthony Ujah 3. Isaac Success 4. Nathan Oduwa 5. David Okereke
Who will be next?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2020 2:20 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jan 26, 2012 9:35 am
Posts: 8469
bushboy wrote:
Is Salisu injured?

He was before he joined Southampton. He should be fine in a couple of weeks

Their defence sucks big time, so he'll just walk in

_________________
Okoye -- O. Aina, TroostEkong, Omeruo, C. Awaziem --- Sarenren Bazee, Ndidi, Ogochukwu Frank, Chukwueze --- Iheanacho, Ighalo


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2020 4:45 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jan 26, 2012 9:35 am
Posts: 8469
Southampton’s Diamond in the Rough

On August 12th 2020, Southampton signed center back Mohammed Salisu from La Liga side Real Valladolid for fee worth 10.9m, triggering his buyout clause.

At that point, many fans were not familiar with his name. Several even voiced concerns on whether he possessed the ability or the mentality to make it in the Premier League.

Let this article show you that Mohammed has not had a easy, spoon-fed journey to becoming professional. With a mix of talent, hard-work, determination, and a little bit of fortune, he is the player he is today, and will soon be playing in the Premier League. This is the story of Mohammed Salisu.

Humble Beginnings

Born Mohammed Salisu Abdul Karim in Kumasi, Ghana (wrongly claimed by many sources to be Accra, Ghana), he grew up having a love for football. Often, he would skip school to play football with his friends, much to the consternation of his mother. Once, when his mother even ripped his boosts. She was not the most supportive of his passion and wished he would focus more on his education, as any parent would.

Mohammed started out on his footballing journey when he joined local academy, West African Football Academy (WAFA), at the age of 13.

It was difficult for Mohammed, as he surmised in his own words.

Two and a half years later, he left after having personal issues with the academy. Mohammed describes the one year period after as very difficult, but a good relationship with his old team manager resulted him in meeting Fran Castano, the Director of the now-renowned African Talent Football Academy, who offered him a trial in April 2017.

Mohammed showed up on the day, but for some reason he was not able to acquire boots for the trial, and ended up having to borrow a goalkeeper’s boots (which were oversized anyway). In addition, he arrived at the trial late. Castano even told the manager that he wasn’t sure Mohammed was serious, because what kind of serious player would arrive late for a trial, and without boots?

Yet, what Castano saw that day from Mohammed must have been phenomenal, as after 10 minutes of play he was pulled aside by Castano, and told that he would support Mohammed in his journey. Mohammed, of course, duly accepted, and after returning home to Kumasi for a talk with mother, who had finally decided to support her son’s dream, Mohammed returned to Accra, this time as an new student in the African Football Talent Academy.

African Football Talent Academy (AFTA)

The Academy had just began operations on March in that year, founded by Castano, but already it had ambitious objectives and goals, which was to develop talents prepare them for a future move to Europa once they come of age. This preparation included things such as language, training, nutrition and accommodation. Castano later commented about the state of football talent development in Ghana.

Fran Castano would prove to be a key catalyst in Mohammed’s development. Mohammed himself has expressed overwhelming gratitude for the great influence Castano and the academy had upon his development.

His rapid development meant that in October that same year, he was sent over to Spain to sign for La Liga side Real Valladolid.

Adapting to Europe – “Poca Poco, I got used to it”
As expected, Mohammed at first struggled with how different things were in Europe.

And got used to it, he did. He went on to have a starring role for the Valladolid reserves, playing 39 games and scoring 1 goal. His impressive performance led him to begin training with the first team.

Castano himself told Mohammed at the beginning of his Valladolid spell that in “1 or 2 years, [Mohammed] would make the first team”. The young man didn’t believe him, but just like Castano’s first impression of Mohammed in that first trial, he was spot on.

He made his first-team debut in January 2019 in a Copa-del-Rey match, less than two years after joining the club’s reserves, when he was just 19.

He started both legs of the tie, where Valladolid crashed out 2-1 on aggregate. Still, he impressed in both showings, as the events that followed indicated.

Breakout Season

In the following season (18/19), first choice center back Fernando Calero departed the club for RCD Espanyol. Two more injuries to Javi Sanchez and Federico Barba meant that it was Mohammed who was entrusted by manager Sergio Gonzalez to start alongside stalwart Kiko Olivas in the opening match.

A string of fine performances, including a win against Betis, a draw against Real Madrid and an impressive shutout against Atletico Madrid propelled him to stardom amongst the Spanish press.

Mohammed finished his debut first team season on 32 games, scoring 1 goal. He recorded 154 clearances in the league, the third highest.

Naturally, Mohammed’s value quickly rose, from 250,000 at the season’s inception to up to a staggering 10m eight months later, according to Transfrmarkt. As such, many big clubs like Real Madrid, Atletico Madrid, and Manchester United, came circling with enquiries.

Among the many links, two serious suitors came up; French side Rennes and English side Southampton. While Rennes were the favorites according to several outlets, Mohammed decided to join Southampton, for three key reasons

He wants to play Premier League football
Prefers to not have to learn a new language (French)
the favorable terms of the contract
After weeks of speculation, fan hype and persistent links, Martin Semmens (CEO of Southampton FC) confirmed the concrete interest in an interview with Solent Sport in July 27.

The boy from Kumasi skipping school to play football has worked hard and beaten the odds, is now going to play in the best league in the world!

Article by @markssaintsblog

https://punditfeed.com/long-reads/mohammed-salisu/

_________________
Okoye -- O. Aina, TroostEkong, Omeruo, C. Awaziem --- Sarenren Bazee, Ndidi, Ogochukwu Frank, Chukwueze --- Iheanacho, Ighalo


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2020 5:12 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jan 26, 2012 9:35 am
Posts: 8469
Mohammed Salisu set to make Southampton debut against Chelsea

Ghana defender Mohammed Salisu is likely to make his debut for English side Southampton this weekend against Chelsea, according to Southampton boss Ralph Hasenhuttl.

The 21-year old joined Southampton on a four-year deal from Spanish side Real Valladolid in the summer transfer window for a 10 million pounds fee but is yet to feature for the club.

Salisu has been training with the squad but Ralph Hasenhuttl indicated the Ghanaian defender could not be selected for games due to match fitness and stated he will be ready after the international break.

“It may take a few more weeks, maybe [to break into the starting set-up],” Hasenhuttl told Hampshire Live.

After the next international break [in October], I hope to have him in the first eleven. He has good drive and is a very ambitious guy.

“He is working hard on his fitness at the moment after a long break from injury and there are a few issues we must work on but you can see his physicality.

“He will not be a short-term project, he will be more of a long-term project. Therefore I think he was a fantastic transfer.

Southampton will play against Chelsea FC at the Stamford Bridge in the Premier League as club football returns after the international break.

_________________
Okoye -- O. Aina, TroostEkong, Omeruo, C. Awaziem --- Sarenren Bazee, Ndidi, Ogochukwu Frank, Chukwueze --- Iheanacho, Ighalo


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2020 1:07 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 13, 2004 4:09 pm
Posts: 10286
Where is this man? Are we sure he is still alive?

_________________
Bushboy's bushmen : 1. Odion Ighalo 2. Anthony Ujah 3. Isaac Success 4. Nathan Oduwa 5. David Okereke
Who will be next?


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 45 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

All times are UTC + 1 hour


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bigpokey24, danfo driver, kajifu, YemiBrazil and 16 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group