Guardian: Racial Bias in English football Commentary

Discuss World Football here. Continental football, International Leagues, and players.
charlie
Egg
Egg
Guardian: Racial Bias in English football Commentary

Post by charlie »

We've been saying it here for years now. Well, a study finally proves it!
Groundbreaking report reveals racial bias in English football commentary

src: https://www.theguardian.com/football/20 ... commentary

- Players with lighter skin more often praised for intelligence
- Power and pace referenced more often if player has darker skin

Racial bias is a clear and significant problem in English football commentary, according to a groundbreaking study that found players with lighter skin are regularly and overwhelmingly praised for intelligence, work ethic and quality compared with those with darker skin, who are reduced to physical and athletic attributes.

The study has been carried out by RunRepeat, a Danish research firm, and is the first aimed at understanding whether the football media talks differently about players depending on their skin tone. More than 2,000 statements from commentary on 80 games across the Premier League, Serie A, La Liga and Ligue 1 were analysed.

RunRepeat ratio-adjusted its numbers to account for the fact there were 1,361 comments about lighter-skinned players and 713 about darker-skinned players and found the former group more widely praised for intelligence (62.60%), hard work (60.40%) and quality (62.79%). Commentators are also 6.59 times more likely to talk about the power of a player if he has darker skin and 3.38 times more likely to reference his pace.

The study also found that 63.33% of criticism from commentators in regards to the intelligence of a player is aimed at those with darker skin, while the figure for quality is 67.57%.

RunRepeat’s findings are timely given the focus on racial discrimination and inequality generated by the Black Lives Matter movement and the study has received the backing of the Professional Footballers’ Association, which has called on the football media to be more considerate in how they speak about and analyse players in order to break longstanding and damaging stereotypes.

“To address the real impact of structural racism, we have to acknowledge and address racial bias,” the PFA’s equalities executive, Jason Lee, said. “This study shows an evident bias in how we describe the attributes of footballers based on their skin colour.”

RunRepeat’s research took six months and centred on 20 games from each league in the 2019-20 season. Only English-language commentary was analysed in order to avoid errors caused by inaccurate translations and this was sourced from seven broadcasters: Sky Sports, BT Sport, FreeSports, beIN Sports, TSN, NBCSN and ESPN. The focus was on commentators and co‑commentators who speak as games are happening, and not on studio pundits. About 5% of the commentators and co-commentators were from a BAME background.

In the commentary analysed by RunRepeat, 643 players were referenced and each was designated a skin-tone value between 1-20 based on those assigned in the database of Football Manager 2020, the latest version of the popular computer game, with 1-11 classified as “lighter skin tone” and 12-20 as “darker skin tone”. RunRepeat focused on skin tone because it felt focusing on race would lead to misidentification.

A total of 2,074 commentary statements were collated and split across 11 categories, with the differences in praise, criticism and references to intelligence, quality, hard work, power and speed the most startling. As the report states: “Players with lighter skin tone should receive the same proportion of comments about, for example, their intelligence or their work ethic as players with darker skin tone. The fact this is not the case across a large sample size indicates there is bias in the way the media discuss players based on the colour of their skin.”

The Guardian has seen a selection of the commentary statements collated and analysed and in isolation they appear harmless. For instance Sheffield United’s Billy Sharp is praised for how “cute and clever” he is, and Real Sociedad’s Alexander Isak is criticised for poor “decision taking”.

But along with the piece of commentary that focuses on how “fit and strong” Real Madrid’s Ferland Mendy is, they harden the view of black athletes being less intelligent and hard‑working and able to succeed only because of their “God-given” physical and athletic attributes. That leads to racism, including the lack of opportunities black former players receive in coaching, management and at boardroom level.

“Commentators help shape the perception we hold,” said Lee, the former Nottingham Forest, Charlton and Watford forward. “It’s important to consider how far-reaching those perceptions can be and how they impact footballers once they finish their playing career.

“If a player has aspirations of becoming a coach or manager, is an unfair advantage given to players that commentators regularly refer to as intelligent and industrious, when those views appear to be a result of racial bias?”

It will be intriguing to see how the football media, and broadcasters especially, react to the study. Sky Sports already holds sessions with its presenters, reporters and commentators in which the importance of the language they use to describe athletes from different backgrounds is discussed. In conjunction with the PFA, extra sessions have also been held in regards to the language staff use when specifically discussing any stories and issues concerning Black Lives Matter.
Kola nut lasts long for those that savor it
marko
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: Guardian: Racial Bias in English football Commentary

Post by marko »

look how British media treats Pogba for example and compare that to how they treated Fernandes, the so-called saviour for man united, so they thought, in the last 3 games, Pogba, having been out for nearly 6 months has upstaged everyone in his brief cameos

when you listen to Graeme Souness talk about Pogba, you understand there are definitely racial undertones, perhaps jealousy / envy, well the British press are a menace even to white people, they bring you up and they knock you down!
So angry Nigeria got kicked out of the world cup once again, i nearly told my wife that i caught my girlfriend with another man today!

Marko
Mr. Piffington
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Mr. Piffington »

marko wrote:look how British media treats Pogba for example and compare that to how they treated Fernandes, the so-called saviour for man united, so they thought, in the last 3 games, Pogba, having been out for nearly 6 months has upstaged everyone in his brief cameos

when you listen to Graeme Souness talk about Pogba, you understand there are definitely racial undertones, perhaps jealousy / envy, well the British press are a menace even to white people, they bring you up and they knock you down!
I noticed it too, the excuse being the price tag. Kante is the type of black person they like, quiet and just safe. The minute you have an assertive personality then the problems begin.
This post was made by Appitti who is currently on your ignore list.
This post was made by bully12 who is currently on your ignore list.
This post was made by COOKING SPOON who is currently on your ignore list.
This post was made by danfo driver who is currently on your ignore list.
This post was made by muzines who is currently on your ignore list.
This post was made by ohenhen1 who is currently on your ignore list.
marko
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by marko »

Mr. Piffington wrote:
marko wrote:look how British media treats Pogba for example and compare that to how they treated Fernandes, the so-called saviour for man united, so they thought, in the last 3 games, Pogba, having been out for nearly 6 months has upstaged everyone in his brief cameos

I noticed it too, the excuse being the price tag. Kante is the type of black person they like, quiet and just safe. The minute you have an assertive personality then the problems begin.
Pogba, Flamboyant character, huge social media presence, almost 42 million, black, successful, rich, world cup winner will always be a target for envious K punters and media alike, he never seems to get into trouble, lives a quiet life, Pogba said he does not know Graeme Souness but heard of him, that statement infuriated him and he asked Pogba to put all his medals on the table! is this football related or personal? yes they like Kante, sort of know your place in society
So angry Nigeria got kicked out of the world cup once again, i nearly told my wife that i caught my girlfriend with another man today!

Marko
Senator WIRES
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Senator WIRES »

The PFA have urged commentators to address their racial bias after a study revealed differences in how they describe players with different skin tones.

Findings revealed on Tuesday, following the first study of its kind in football, showed that 'deep-rooted racial stereotypes' are promoted in commentary by:

Players with lighter skin tones receiving significantly more praise for their intelligence, quality, work rate and versatility.
Players with darker skin tones receiving at least 63 per cent of the criticism when it came to comments made about intelligence, quality and versatility.
Players with darker skin tones being more likely to be reduced to their physical attributes, receiving almost seven times more comments about their power and over three times more about their speed.
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/footb ... agues.html
"BIAFRA is a FAILED Project!! "Biafranism tends to make people hard of intellectual hearing"-ohsee.
!

"the problem with you people is that you want every thing to be Igbo and you pronounce it Igbo and then force it to be Igbo" IKWERREMAN
"The trouble with you is that you are blinded by prejudice and only see what you want to see." CIC to Dr. SAB
"..there are a handful of mindless Igbos on this forum that are an embarrassment to themselves"CiC
Molue Conductor
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Molue Conductor »

Mr. Piffington wrote:

but they liked Drogba
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by benteke »

Molue Conductor wrote:
Mr. Piffington wrote:

but they liked Drogba
No they didn't. They called him a diver and he got a lot of grief for that red card in the CL final. He was was accused of bringing a culture of diving to England.

It was only out of shame that they pretended to like him, his achievements for Chelsea could no longer be ignored..
benteke
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by benteke »

Not forgetting this little Pogba bashing thread, Coach wrote a very good on this issue on page 2.of the thread viewtopic.php?f=30&t=273287&hilit=Pogba ... 3#p4832238
marko
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by marko »

The media are responsible for helping shape British culture in the UK, help enforce stereotypical views, can remember an article where 2 players bought their mum a property, Foden and another black player, the press slated the black player and praised Foden until Raheem Sterling called them out on this, they tried to use the fact the black player has not broken into the first team but was been wasteful with his money

I always want black players to excel irrespective of where they play, i always use Pogba as a perfect example of how the press used racial undertones to describe his lifestyle forgetting Pogba has never got into any type of trouble in previous clubs, just look at the pundits, even Mourinho, when he won the world cup, i was so happy for him, the press had to backtrack a bit, even scoring in the final with billions watching!

It is what is is, the British press do the same to white people, they are simply ruthless! anything to sell

Marko