Former Ireland manager Jack Charlton passes away

Discuss World Football here. Continental football, International Leagues, and players.
Ayo Akinfe
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle
Former Ireland manager Jack Charlton passes away

Post by Ayo Akinfe »

Former Ireland manager and England World Cup winner Jack Charlton passes away at the age of 85 - See more at: https://bit.ly/3fmVAPo

Football will be much poorer without Big Jack. He was one of those larger than life characters who had the ability to illuminate any gathering in which he was.

Jack was also a doer. Before he took up the job as Republic of Ireland manager, they basically had no footbaling history, had never qualified for any major tournament but alas, within three years, he had got them to Euro 88 and two years later to the quarter finals of the World Cup.

RIP Jack. You shall never be forgotten!
highbury
Egg
Egg
Re: Former Ireland manager Jack Charlton passes away

Post by highbury »

Ayo Akinfe wrote:Former Ireland manager and England World Cup winner Jack Charlton passes away at the age of 85 - See more at: https://bit.ly/3fmVAPo

Football will be much poorer without Big Jack. He was one of those larger than life characters who had the ability to illuminate any gathering in which he was.

Jack was also a doer. Before he took up the job as Republic of Ireland manager, they basically had no footbaling history, had never qualified for any major tournament but alas, within three years, he had got them to Euro 88 and two years later to the quarter finals of the World Cup.

You must live in Ireland or somewhere in the United Kingdom. I have no idea who he is
Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle

Post by Bigpokey24 »

RIP to him, mods move to world forum
SuperEagles

© Bigpokey24, most loved on CE
My post are with no warranties and confers zero rights. Get out your feelings
It is not authorized by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use.
All rights aren't reserved
Eaglezbeak
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Eaglezbeak »

RIP big Jack.
WHAT SHALL BE SHALL BE SABI
oloye
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by oloye »

RIP big Jack, a legend here in Ireland.
"There is big pressure at this club as you cannot be like the manager at Arsenal and ask for five years to try and to win one trophy" - Jose Mourinho

.... I believe in God. I try to be a good man so He can have a bit of time to give me a hand when I need it - Jose Mourinho
Aswani
Egg
Egg

Post by Aswani »

Ayo Akinfe wrote:Former Ireland manager and England World Cup winner Jack Charlton passes away at the age of 85 - See more at: https://bit.ly/3fmVAPo

He did have footballing history before Ireland as he took an unfancied team (either Newcastle, Boro or Wednesday) to the top division using mainly young players.

The Irish job was also his first international job which he did very well at.
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

highbury wrote:

You must live in Ireland or somewhere in the United Kingdom. I have no idea who he is
You must be too young.
He is the older brother (not by much) of the legendary Bobby Charlton.
Even in Nigeria, older English football icons still exist in popular football culture till today. Names like 'Wembley', 'Bobby Moore' and 'Bobby Charlton' have a meaning beyond their origins.

Both Jack and Bobby Charlton are world cup winners. Bobby is the more famous left footed England and Man Utd AM, is still alive and is now Director of Man Utd. Jack is the legendary tough-talking, tough-tackling England and Leeds Utd CD.
He also went into management and successfully guided Ireland to the WC, I think for the first time ever.

May he RIP.
"Ole kuku ni gbogbo wọn "