2020/2021 Spurs Season: PL - 7th; EL - R16; FAC - R5; CC- RU

Discuss World Football here. Continental football, International Leagues, and players.
toyin133
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: 2020/2021 Spurs Season: [PL] TOT v MAN [WK 31]

Post by toyin133 »

Cavani booked for a bit of afters with Rodon
"I hear Glenn Hoddle has found God. That must have been one hell of a pass." Jasper Carrott
"Mind you, football is not really about winning, or goals, or saves or supporters. It's about glory. It's about doing things in style, doing them with a flourish. It's
about going out to beat the other lot, not waiting for them to die of boredom."
Danny Blanchflower
Its a Goal
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Its a Goal »

Cavani gets booked for a rash challenge on Rodon.
2 of the finest indigenous coaches Nigeria ever had lost in a space of 4 days. Dear Lord, is this a sign that you are taking away from us what we failed to appreciate? I pray for forgiveness of our sins. I pray for the humility to recognize our wrongs and the humbleness and wisdom to right our ways.

REST IN PEACE COACH STEPHEN KESHI!!! REST IN PEACE COACH AMODU SHAIBU!!!
toyin133
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by toyin133 »

Game getting tetchy, might get a red in this game
"I hear Glenn Hoddle has found God. That must have been one hell of a pass." Jasper Carrott
"Mind you, football is not really about winning, or goals, or saves or supporters. It's about glory. It's about doing things in style, doing them with a flourish. It's
Danny Blanchflower
toyin133
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by toyin133 »

HT 1-0 Son at the centre of drama
Danny Blanchflower
Its a Goal
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Its a Goal »

[color=brown]toyin133[/color] wrote:
Its a Goal wrote: Toyin133, I rarely disagree with you but on this one you can't fault Jose much. Individual errors is what is contributing to the poor run of form not the tactics. Player attitude is what makes the team drop points from winning position not the manager's instructions. Unless these players change their mentality for one of a warrior Spurs will continue falter no matter who is appointed next after Mourinho is sacked. These were the exact problems Poch had and got him fired, the only difference is that Poch was more like a father figure to all the players while Jose acts the boss and doesn't care much about their feelings.
IAG, we have to agree to disagree. My contention is that the team is playing below it's capabilities because Mourinho has created a dysfunctional organisation. The team is riddled with doubt, suspicion and a lack of confidence because of Mourinho's management style which has caused problems in his most recent clubs.
I do not absolve the players completely but you only have to look at Man utd to see how players like Luke Shaw, Lindelof, Bailly, Pogba, Rashford and others improved after his departure. The players you are currently criticising will improve with Mourinho's departure and a new coach can decide on which ones to release from the club. The sooner that process starts the better for Spurs.
There is also a narrative that these same players failed Poch which in my view is completely false. The team faltered because Levy refused to invest in the team for almost 18 months and Levy did not give the players he bought in the summer a chance to be integrated into the team.
Can you really say they have improved? What have they won since Jose left?

Winning is a collective effort and it requires sacrificing yourself for the good of the team. Mikel Obi is a perfect example of that principle hence why he and Chelsea won a lot under Jose. Mikel by nature is an offensive midfielder but Jose asked him to be more defensive in his approach. Mikel could have protested and thrown his toys out of the pram and demand to move to ManU that originally wanted him. See Kane, the job he does offensively and defensively. Even Ndombele didn't take the public criticism of him personal by Jose and instead accepted his faults and improved on his conditioning.
2 of the finest indigenous coaches Nigeria ever had lost in a space of 4 days. Dear Lord, is this a sign that you are taking away from us what we failed to appreciate? I pray for forgiveness of our sins. I pray for the humility to recognize our wrongs and the humbleness and wisdom to right our ways.

Cito
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Cito »

Its a Goal wrote:Son fouled and lead to a goal. Should be overruled.
Refs should be consistent and give McTominay a yellow for that.
"Learn from others whom have walked the path before you, but be smart enough to know when to cut your own trail."
toyin133
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by toyin133 »

Its a Goal wrote:
[color=brown]toyin133[/color] wrote:
Its a Goal wrote: Toyin133, I rarely disagree with you but on this one you can't fault Jose much. Individual errors is what is contributing to the poor run of form not the tactics. Player attitude is what makes the team drop points from winning position not the manager's instructions. Unless these players change their mentality for one of a warrior Spurs will continue falter no matter who is appointed next after Mourinho is sacked. These were the exact problems Poch had and got him fired, the only difference is that Poch was more like a father figure to all the players while Jose acts the boss and doesn't care much about their feelings.
IAG, we have to agree to disagree. My contention is that the team is playing below it's capabilities because Mourinho has created a dysfunctional organisation. The team is riddled with doubt, suspicion and a lack of confidence because of Mourinho's management style which has caused problems in his most recent clubs.
I do not absolve the players completely but you only have to look at Man utd to see how players like Luke Shaw, Lindelof, Bailly, Pogba, Rashford and others improved after his departure. The players you are currently criticising will improve with Mourinho's departure and a new coach can decide on which ones to release from the club. The sooner that process starts the better for Spurs.
There is also a narrative that these same players failed Poch which in my view is completely false. The team faltered because Levy refused to invest in the team for almost 18 months and Levy did not give the players he bought in the summer a chance to be integrated into the team.
Can you really say they have improved? What have they won since Jose left?

Winning is a collective effort and it requires sacrificing yourself for the good of the team. Mikel Obi is a perfect example of that principle hence why he and Chelsea won a lot under Jose. Mikel by nature is an offensive midfielder but Jose asked him to be more defensive in his approach. Mikel could have protested and thrown his toys out of the pram and demand to move to ManU that originally wanted him. See Kane, the job he does offensively and defensively. Even Ndombele didn't take the public criticism of him personal by Jose and instead accepted his faults and improved on his conditioning.
Chief, I think you are being disingenuous when you refuse to acknowledge the obvious improvements made by those players.

I agree that players need to sacrifice themselves for the good of the team, even Lloris talked about the difference in team spirit a few weeks ago. Why do you think that players no longer want to sacrifice and are only concerned about their own performance?
Danny Blanchflower
toyin133
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by toyin133 »

Fred the latest to receive yellow for a foul on Aurier
Danny Blanchflower
toyin133
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by toyin133 »

Hojbjerg injured
Danny Blanchflower
toyin133
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by toyin133 »

He seems to have made a miraculous recovery
Danny Blanchflower
toyin133
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by toyin133 »

Fred equalises
Danny Blanchflower
Its a Goal
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Its a Goal »

Fred equalize. Damn. Just as I was about to praise the defensive shape they concede.

toyin133
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by toyin133 »

Good save from Henderson to deny Son
Danny Blanchflower
Its a Goal
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Its a Goal »

Son should have done better.

Its a Goal
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Its a Goal »

Sissooko for Lo Celso

toyin133
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by toyin133 »

Sissoko coming on for Lo Celso, I see Jose is really going for the win
Danny Blanchflower
Its a Goal
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Its a Goal »

I would have expected Lamela for Lo Celso.

toyin133
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by toyin133 »

Lloris saves from Fernandes
Danny Blanchflower
Its a Goal
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Its a Goal »

[color=brown]toyin133[/color] wrote: Sissoko coming on for Lo Celso, I see Jose is really going for the win
Maybe he doesn't like how ManU are dominating the midfield.

Having said that, Sissoko was caught napping in midfield. Excellent save from Lloris.

toyin133
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by toyin133 »

Add Maguire to the yellow card recipients
Danny Blanchflower
Its a Goal
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Its a Goal »

Manure players picking up yellow cards willy nilly.

Its a Goal
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Its a Goal »

It's time to give Lamela a chance to run at the opposition.

toyin133
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by toyin133 »

Greenwood for Rashford
Danny Blanchflower