The day that Cameroon shocked the world

Discuss World Football here. Continental football, International Leagues, and players.
Scipio Africanus
Eaglet
Eaglet
The day that Cameroon shocked the world

Post by Scipio Africanus »

How did they shut down the fearsome Argentine attack of Maradona, Canniggia, Balbo and Burruchaga?

Meanwhile we are 0-5 against these mofos.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C6uIUg9ovP0[/video]

Wha choo looking at?!
oloye
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: The day that Cameroon shocked the world

Post by oloye »

Scipio Africanus wrote:How did they shut down the fearsome Argentine attack of Maradona, Canniggia, Balbo and Burruchaga?

By kicking the living daylights out of them after going one up. :lol:
"There is big pressure at this club as you cannot be like the manager at Arsenal and ask for five years to try and to win one trophy" - Jose Mourinho

.... I believe in God. I try to be a good man so He can have a bit of time to give me a hand when I need it - Jose Mourinho
kajifu
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by kajifu »

oloye wrote:
Scipio Africanus wrote:How did they shut down the fearsome Argentine attack of Maradona, Canniggia, Balbo and Burruchaga?

:rotf: :rotf: :rotf:
Chimurenga Rebel
Egg
Egg

Post by Chimurenga Rebel »

Pure hatred on this thread!

Show some God damned respect when you utter these names! They caused an Earthquake! There names will be revered through eternity.

In no particular Order!

Man like

Thomas Nkono
Louis Paul Mfede
Benjamin Massing
Jean Claude Pagal
Steven Tataw
Eugene Ekeke
Emile Mbouh
Andre Kana-Biyik
Francois Oman-Biyik
Bertin Ebwelle
Victoria N'dip
Cyrillic Makanaky
Emmanuel Kunde
Roger Milla
"Just call me the Chimurenga Man. A guerilla. Soldier of peace.Man of the people. I write love poems with the barrel of my gun. For Africa always." - Japheth Ncube
EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA »

Chimurenga Rebel wrote:Pure hatred on this thread!

Show some God damned respect when you utter these names! They caused an Earthquake! There names will be revered through eternity.

In no particular Order!

Man like

Thomas Nkono
Louis Paul Mfede
Benjamin Massing
Jean Claude Pagal
Steven Tataw
Eugene Ekeke
Emile Mbouh
Andre Kana-Biyik
Francois Oman-Biyik
Bertin Ebwelle
Victoria N'dip
Cyrillic Makanaky
Emmanuel Kunde
Roger Milla
Legends! They played with no fear nor respect for the opponent. Victory was never available for Argentina because Cameroon flat out took it with no faks given. Not 1!
OCCUPY NFF!!
Chief Ogbunigwe
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Chief Ogbunigwe »

In no particular Order!

Man like

Thomas Nkono
Louis Paul Mfede
Benjamin Massing
Jean Claude Pagal
Steven Tataw
Eugene Ekeke
Emile Mbouh
Andre Kana-Biyik
Francois Oman-Biyik
Bertin Ebwelle
Victoria N'dip
Cyrillic Makanaky
Emmanuel Kunde
Roger Milla
where's the hatred?
AFCON 2019 sweet o
Barren for 37 yrs no good o

New member and Titled Chief, Distant Gunners Consortium.
"This is an island surrounded by water, big water, ocean water."
mcal
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by mcal »

EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA wrote:

In no particular Order!

Man like

Thomas Nkono
Louis Paul Mfede
Benjamin Massing
Jean Claude Pagal
Steven Tataw
Eugene Ekeke
Emile Mbouh
Andre Kana-Biyik
Francois Oman-Biyik
Bertin Ebwelle
Victoria N'dip
Cyrillic Makanaky
Emmanuel Kunde
Roger Milla
Legends! They played with no fear nor respect for the opponent. Victory was never available for Argentina because Cameroon flat out took it with no faks given. Not 1!
...that there is what all African teams need to succeed at world cup level. A sustained fight to the end, not score one goal and brain goes bunkers.
Scipio Africanus
Eaglet
Eaglet

Man, Cameroon had defenders sha!!! Kai!! Argentina ran up against a brick wall that day!

Wha choo looking at?!
kajifu
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by kajifu »

mcal wrote:

In no particular Order!

Man like

Thomas Nkono
Louis Paul Mfede
Benjamin Massing
Jean Claude Pagal
Steven Tataw
Eugene Ekeke
Emile Mbouh
Andre Kana-Biyik
Francois Oman-Biyik
Bertin Ebwelle
Victoria N'dip
Cyrillic Makanaky
Emmanuel Kunde
Roger Milla
...that there is what all African teams need to succeed at world cup level. A sustained fight to the end, not score one goal and brain goes bunkers.
With mad officiating they will make sure an African team end with 6 players in a game.
mcal
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by mcal »

kajifu wrote:
mcal wrote:

In no particular Order!

Man like

Thomas Nkono
Louis Paul Mfede
Benjamin Massing
Jean Claude Pagal
Steven Tataw
Eugene Ekeke
Emile Mbouh
Andre Kana-Biyik
Francois Oman-Biyik
Bertin Ebwelle
Victoria N'dip
Cyrillic Makanaky
Emmanuel Kunde
Roger Milla
With mad officiating they will make sure an African team end with 6 players in a game.
...well with today's VAR no more wayo from dem oyinbo refs.
Scipio Africanus
Eaglet
Eaglet

oloye wrote:

They were just introducing them to real African football. :tic:

Given your expertise :thumbs: on the football field, I'm sure you enjoyed that game very much :mrgreen:

No mind us wey dey play like ajebo every time we meet Argentina on the green grass. Na dat nonsense referee in 1994 wey scare us sotay we no fit play correct African game again.

Wha choo looking at?!
maceo4
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by maceo4 »

This Cameroon team was actually very good, rough of course, but actually played and kept possession at times and successfully played a counter-attacking game at other times.
Super Eagus 4 Life!
Made in the image of God that's a selfie!
joplass
Egg
Egg

Post by joplass »

I still remember where I was. Prior to that Omam's goal, the city of Douala was absolutely quiet, no cars on the street. When that goal went it the ground shook from screams and cheers.

Even the game stolen for England was a victory for African football. After that, England requested a friendly re-match to make sure they can really win against Cameroon.
Man is comfortable in His imperfection but uncomfortable in His perfection. Me. (Inspired by Karol Józef Wojtyła - Crossing the Threshold of Hope)
Undertaker
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Undertaker »

How many red cards sef? 2 or 3? I can't remember! Very proud of Cameroon that day!
I SEE DEAD PEOPLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

joplass wrote:I still remember where I was. Prior to that Omam's goal, the city of Douala was absolutely quiet, no cars on the street. When that goal went it the ground shook from screams and cheers.

Even the game stolen for England was a victory for African football. After that, England requested a friendly re-match to make sure they can really win against Cameroon.
Same here. I remember exactly where I was.
"Ole kuku ni gbogbo wọn "
Chief Ogbunigwe
Eaglet
Eaglet

Actually the Roger Milla games sweet me pass.... choi, what a legend! vs Romania and Colombia.
AFCON 2019 sweet o

Scipio Africanus
Eaglet
Eaglet

Chief Ogbunigwe wrote:Actually the Roger Milla games sweet me pass.... choi, what a legend! vs Romania and Colombia.
The England game sweet me pass even though Cameroon lost that game. They balled out of their skins in that game, ripping the England defense to shreds time and time again. Their best game at that WC in my opinion. 30 years later, they have never come close to playing that kind of football ever since.

Wha choo looking at?!
Chief Ogbunigwe
Eaglet
Eaglet

Scipio Africanus wrote:
Chief Ogbunigwe wrote:Actually the Roger Milla games sweet me pass.... choi, what a legend! vs Romania and Colombia.
The England game sweet me pass even though Cameroon lost that game. They balled out of their skins in that game, ripping the England defense to shreds time and time again. Their best game at that WC in my opinion. 30 years later, they have never come close to playing that kind of football ever since.

that was an excellently played game, but e dey pain me too much. They lost to England of all people (though I must admit the English had a good team...Platt, Gazza, Lineker)
AFCON 2019 sweet o

Mankinka
Egg
Egg

Post by Mankinka »

We cheered them to the rafters in Lusaka. Even my mother who normally had no interest in football cheered on these Cameroonians with exotic names. The Indomitable Lions!
oloye
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by oloye »

Scipio Africanus wrote:
oloye wrote:

Given your expertise :thumbs: on the football field, I'm sure you enjoyed that game very much :mrgreen:

No mind us wey dey play like ajebo every time we meet Argentina on the green grass. Na dat nonsense referee in 1994 wey scare us sotay we no fit play correct African game again.
I thoroughly enjoyed having followed their world Cup exploits from the 82 world Cup when they did not lose any game. In this game they physically manhandled the Argies. The Cameroon team of that era was beauty and the beast combined. If you want it beautiful they would give it to you and if you want rough their henchmen in Kana and Massing who looks more like a bouncer than a footballer and Steven Tawtaw, I don't even know how those two can move with those thighs and the barrel sized chest they bring onto the field.

When Massing kicked Cannigia and the poor guy lost his boot, I almost fell off my chair. Yes I enjoyed the physical side of the game, but dammit, these guys almost committed genocide with the way they rough handled the Argies. That leap by Oman or who was it that scored the goal again, that leap cannot be called a jump, it was out of this jump, that was agility at its best.

That team dey alway sweet my belle what they did to the Argies, they got two reds, but they had kicked the fear of God into the Argies the shadows of the two that were sent out was still haunting the Argies making them believe the Indomitable Lions were still 11.

That was when those guys just ground their African counterparts to dust, yes including Nigeria, ask the 84 team to the ANC hosted by Ivory Coast how they were annihilated
"There is big pressure at this club as you cannot be like the manager at Arsenal and ask for five years to try and to win one trophy" - Jose Mourinho

.... I believe in God. I try to be a good man so He can have a bit of time to give me a hand when I need it - Jose Mourinho
Dammy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Dammy »

oloye wrote:
Scipio Africanus wrote:
oloye wrote:

I thoroughly enjoyed having followed their world Cup exploits from the 82 world Cup when they did not lose any game. In this game they physically manhandled the Argies. The Cameroon team of that era was beauty and the beast combined. If you want it beautiful they would give it to you and if you want rough their henchmen in Kana and Massing who looks more like a bouncer than a footballer and Steven Tawtaw, I don't even know how those two can move with those thighs and the barrel sized chest they bring onto the field.

When Massing kicked Cannigia and the poor guy lost his boot, I almost fell off my chair. Yes I enjoyed the physical side of the game, but dammit, these guys almost committed genocide with the way they rough handled the Argies. That leap by Oman or who was it that scored the goal again, that leap cannot be called a jump, it was out of this jump, that was agility at its best.

That team dey alway sweet my belle what they did to the Argies, they got two reds, but they had kicked the fear of God into the Argies the shadows of the two that were sent out was still haunting the Argies making them believe the Indomitable Lions were still 11.

That was when those guys just ground their African counterparts to dust, yes including Nigeria, ask the 84 team to the ANC hosted by Ivory Coast how they were annihilated
I saw Massing, Tawtaw and Kunde in Ibadan during the 1990 WCQs, those guys were massive!
I am happy
joplass
Egg
Egg

Post by joplass »

oloye wrote:
Scipio Africanus wrote:
oloye wrote:

I never laugh so hard :lol:
Man is comfortable in His imperfection but uncomfortable in His perfection. Me. (Inspired by Karol Józef Wojtyła - Crossing the Threshold of Hope)
Chimurenga Rebel
Egg
Egg

Post by Chimurenga Rebel »

My favourite players from that 1990 team were the enforcers Benjamin Massing and Captain Steven Tataw.

I weep when I see the current Cameroon team referred to as Indomitable Lions. That 1990 team espoused the name "The Indomitable Lions". They played with pride! They played without fear. They were unapologetically African! God bless every single one of them.
"Just call me the Chimurenga Man. A guerilla. Soldier of peace.Man of the people. I write love poems with the barrel of my gun. For Africa always." - Japheth Ncube