Wenger is proposing world cup every two years

Discuss World Football here. Continental football, International Leagues, and players.
oyek
Egg
Egg
Wenger is proposing world cup every two years

Post by oyek »

Wenger proposes World Cups every two years, radical calendar overhaul

JAMES OLLEY
Senior Writer, ESPN FC
10:06 AM ET4 Minute Read
What would Champions League reform mean for domestic football?
What would Champions League reform mean for domestic football?Gab Marcotti examines the potential issues involved if the Champions League format is amended.
Arsene Wenger has called for a radical overhaul of the entire football calendar with domestic seasons played from March to November and the World Cup to be held every two years.

Wenger has continually pushed for a series of reforms ever since taking up a role as FIFA's chief of global football development in November 2019 following almost 22 years managing Arsenal.

The 71-year-old's proposals for altering the offside law are under consideration and he is urging the game's governing body to turn their attention to bringing in uniform scheduling.

"It's my dream you know, it's not a dream I share with many people at the moment but I just think I have the advantage of having worked in Japan," Wenger, who managed Nagoya Grampus Eight in the mid 1990s, told beIN SPORTS.

"We played from March until November and it was perfect. You would not have anymore 'he won the Championship in season 2018-19.' No, the championship was won in 2018 or 2019 and in 2020.

"In fact, I believe as well, we have to re-organise completely the calendar. In FIFA, with [president Gianni] Infantino, we try to make meeting with all the stakeholders of the game to completely reorganise the calendar year, because you have to plan in the future where you may have to travel less."

The delayed European Championship finals take place this summer before the 2022 World Cup begins in Qatar, moved to November and December due to the region's climate. Wenger believes this shift offered a prime chance to make the radical changes but a longer-term vision is now required, one which he claims should include halving the four-year tournament cycle.

Arsene Wenger has proposed radical changes to the football calendar.
Getty
"It was a good opportunity [to remodel the football season] with the World Cup in November... but it's not the case so that will not happen," Wenger said. "We have a worldwide consultation starting in March.

"I'm convinced that to harmonise the world calendar somebody has to give in and it's Europe or the res t of the world. It would make things more simple. And let's not forget that this summer break comes from the way people were not professional, it's over 100 years ago. Today the players don't go on holiday over the season.

"The second problem that we have, if you look at world football, there's a gulf between Europe and the rest of the world and to get more national teams going to the World Cup will help to develop football in the smaller countries because they have more opportunities to go and play at the world level.

"Maybe the Club World Cup can help as well to generate more money to organise the championships, but then again you have to be careful that it's not going to the big clubs and that part of the money that it could generate goes as well to the structure and improvement inside the smaller countries.

"If you look at the teams in the World Cup, usually the average age is 27-28. That's why, because the World Cup, is every four years there are very few chances to win it again because when they go back to the next World Cup they are 32 or 33.

"That's why maybe we should organise the World Cup every two years and the European Championship every two years and kick all the rest out.

"Organise only competitions of meaning and kick all the parallel competitions out of the game. People must understand what is at stake and only have games with meaning."

https://www.espn.com/soccer/arsenal/sto ... r-overhaul
If not for Jesus, where will i be?
vancity eagle
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: Wenger is proposing world cup every two years

Post by vancity eagle »

Keep the world cup every four years and have a World Nations league finals in between world cups.
EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA »

Confederations cup every 2 yrs. the top 3 team in each confederationshould play every 2-3 yrs. There're too many useless teams in the world to play the WC every 2yrs.
OCCUPY NFF!!
Scipio Africanus
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Scipio Africanus »

He has had too much Bordeaux wine

Wha choo looking at?!
Eaglezbeak
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Eaglezbeak »

European Nations will opt out if that was ever to happen, international football is overrated in countries with stronger football leagues!
WHAT SHALL BE SHALL BE SABI
Mr. Piffington
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Mr. Piffington »

What this would mean is that European countries will play host forever.
This post was made by Appitti who is currently on your ignore list.
This post was made by bully12 who is currently on your ignore list.
This post was made by COOKING SPOON who is currently on your ignore list.
This post was made by danfo driver who is currently on your ignore list.
This post was made by muzines who is currently on your ignore list.
This post was made by ohenhen1 who is currently on your ignore list.
Mr. Piffington
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Mr. Piffington »

Eaglezbeak wrote:European Nations will opt out if that was ever to happen, international football is overrated in countries with stronger football leagues!
Nonsense. This is just a British talking point with no merit. England has underwhelmed for so long that they know longer care about their national team but international football is still a thing of pride for MOST footballing and non footballing countries alike.
This post was made by Appitti who is currently on your ignore list.
This post was made by bully12 who is currently on your ignore list.
This post was made by COOKING SPOON who is currently on your ignore list.
This post was made by danfo driver who is currently on your ignore list.
This post was made by muzines who is currently on your ignore list.
This post was made by ohenhen1 who is currently on your ignore list.
Gooner1
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Gooner1 »

...he makes a valid case...can't argue with that
“If this year, you cannot compete with Spurs, with all the respect I have for them, and Leicester, then change your sport. I’m sorry.” Emmanuel Petit

"I didn't buy Arsenal stake to win trophies" Kroneke
Comrade Machel
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Comrade Machel »

Gooner1 wrote:...he makes a valid case...can't argue with that

True. Though it probably won't happen but he does make good arguements especially a golden team that will be around 27/28. In 4 years their chance to win is gone
Ratlala :thumbs: :D

https://youtu.be/8CZLsYase0Q