Just how GOOD was George Weah Actually

Discuss World Football here. Continental football, International Leagues, and players.
Thelastoneleft
Egg
Egg
Re: Just how GOOD was George Weah Actually

Post by Thelastoneleft »

But, does the number of goals scored tell the whole story?

Top scorers in UEFA Champions Leaque 1994-95

1. George Weah: 7 Goals
2. Jari Litmanen: 6 goals

Top scorers in UEFA Champions Leaque 1995-96

1. Jari Litmanen: 9 goals
2. Alessandro Del Piero / Raul / Krzsztof Warzycha: 6 goals
5. Patrick Kluivert / Yuriy Nikiferov / Nicolas Ouedec / Fabrizio Ravanelli: 5 goals
9. Mike Newel / Ivan Zamorano: 4 goals
11. George Weah and 5 others: 3 goals
cic old boy
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by cic old boy »

You can easily tell how much people know about the game from their comments. Yekini was not fit to be mentioned in the same breath as Weah.

The first thing about football is ability. Anyone that knows the first thing about football and has seen Weah play would know that he was peerless in terms of mastery of the ball. His technique was incredible for a big man. He was Messiesque in terms of ability. To measure him by goals scored alone ignores relevant factors like the amount of work he did outside the box, creativity, etc. To suggest he won World and European Player of the Year b/c of sentiment or the lack of opposition is nuts. Many Africans have argued the reverse - they don't get recognition b/c they are Africans. There were many top, top players that year including Litmanen, Del Piero, Savicevic, Figo, etc.

I must have watched every Milan match when Weah was there.
http://www.naijiant.com/
kalani JR
Egg
Egg

Post by kalani JR »

deanotito wrote:
Scipio Africanus wrote:
deanotito wrote:
Scipio Africanus wrote:
Abeg stop dancing Atilogwu and list the strikers in Weah's era who failed in the Premier League but lit up Serie A. You threatened to list dem, so go ahead ... and list dem! :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:
Nope. That is not what you said. Na you dey change mouth. You listed Bergkamp and Thierry as examples of players that succeeded in England and failed in Italy. I said there are many players that did the opposite. Now you dey change mouth to “in Weah’s era”. Unless you want to argue that Henry and Bergkamp are in Weah’s era. There wasn’t a lot of cross-border movement in “Weah’s era”...but my number one example would be Weah himself .... he was a flop in England

Others would be https://www.foxsports.com/soccer/galler ... gue-082515

Like I said, Google is your friend.
You dey try use style wiggle out of the hole you dug yourself into. For your education, this is the originating context of this argument.

Bigpokey24 wrote:
deanotito wrote:He wasn’t as good as his legend. It was really a case of right place/right time.

Never scored more than 15 goals in the season for Milan. I mean, that’s pretty scandalous right there. Like Yakubu type range

But people no wan hear. I can think of 10 African CFs I’d put ahead of Weah. Remember arguing with some people here that Yekini was way better but as long as oyinbo don give Weah award, no one gree see road again.
this is false. Goals were very difficult to score back then in Seria A . tops goal scorers back then were 19 to 20 goals .Also he cored more than 15 goals in France per season for both monaco and PSG .

however this thread should be moved
Do you see the time qualifier that I nicely bolded, underlined and even colored for you? That was there before I jumped into this discussion. So I no dey change mouth anytin.

Now show me ya list of those that supposedly lit Serie A on fire after failing in England.*

*And don't use Weah because Weah moved to England from Italy on the downswing (twilight) of his career. In his last season in Serie A (1999 - 2000), he scored just 4 goals. In his next season in England he scored 3, playing less minutes. Not much of a difference there.
Bros, e be like say you think say na Village cobbler you dey follow debate. You are actually trying to substitute what YOU said with what Bigpokey said and you think say no one would notice??

Like I alluded to in the beginning of this your Italy-is-toughest bent, it’s a meaningless observation and a waste of time for me as it is easily disproven.

Bigpokey said goals were hard to come by in Serie A at that time. YOU said Thierry and Bergkamp failed going to Italy....seemingly forgetting that if one could stretch to say Bergkamp was a contemporary of Weah - and that is a stretch - no one in his right mind would say the same of Thierry. When I retorted, then you added “in Weah’s era” (again, no one in his right mind...Thierry). So if you thought it fit to include Thierry as Weah’s contemporary, why you wan change mouth now?? If I throw in Shevchenko, you go begin dey talk story.

In any case, I have provided you a link to a fox sports post showing you a whole host of defenders, mids and strikers that did not make it going from Italy to England.

This bent is a distraction. A WPOY award for me means you are great. HOWEVER, I can never substitute that to mean ALL. Weah was great but he was nowhere near the best African striker I’ve ever seen. In fact, there are 3-4 current African strikers better (and more dominant in their era) than he was for my money. CF Striking is about goals. I don’t care where you play...Serie A or Serie Mars. You don’t score 15 goals a season and be claiming greatest in Africa. Even in France - where he was “discovered”, how many goals did Weah score??
This isn't true.
Scipio Africanus
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Scipio Africanus »

deanotito wrote: Bros, e be like say you think say na Village cobbler you dey follow debate. You are actually trying to substitute what YOU said with what Bigpokey said and you think say no one would notice??

Like I alluded to in the beginning of this your Italy-is-toughest bent, it’s a meaningless observation and a waste of time for me as it is easily disproven.

Bigpokey said goals were hard to come by in Serie A at that time. YOU said Thierry and Bergkamp failed going to Italy....seemingly forgetting that if one could stretch to say Bergkamp was a contemporary of Weah - and that is a stretch - no one in his right mind would say the same of Thierry. When I retorted, then you added “in Weah’s era” (again, no one in his right mind...Thierry). So if you thought it fit to include Thierry as Weah’s contemporary, why you wan change mouth now?? If I throw in Shevchenko, you go begin dey talk story.

In any case, I have provided you a link to a fox sports post showing you a whole host of defenders, mids and strikers that did not make it going from Italy to England.

This bent is a distraction. A WPOY award for me means you are great. HOWEVER, I can never substitute that to mean ALL. Weah was great but he was nowhere near the best African striker I’ve ever seen. In fact, there are 3-4 current African strikers better (and more dominant in their era) than he was for my money. CF Striking is about goals. I don’t care where you play...Serie A or Serie Mars. You don’t score 15 goals a season and be claiming greatest in Africa. Even in France - where he was “discovered”, how many goals did Weah score??
Ma fren, the quote below shows when I entered the discussion. I even enlarged Bigpokey's words when I first entered the discussion. It' s on the first page of this thread. I reproduce it below.
Scipio Africanus wrote:
Bigpokey24 wrote:
deanotito wrote:He wasn’t as good as his legend. It was really a case of right place/right time.

Never scored more than 15 goals in the season for Milan. I mean, that’s pretty scandalous right there. Like Yakubu type range

But people no wan hear. I can think of 10 African CFs I’d put ahead of Weah. Remember arguing with some people here that Yekini was way better but as long as oyinbo don give Weah award, no one gree see road again.
this is false. Goals were very difficult to score back then in Seria A . tops goal scorers back then were 19 to 20 goals .Also he cored more than 15 goals in France per season for both monaco and PSG .

Gbam!! Thierry Henry and Dennis Bergkamp failed in Serie A, but lit up the Premier League when they arrived.

Wha choo looking at?!
Thelastoneleft
Egg
Egg

Post by Thelastoneleft »

Scipio Africanus wrote:
Bigpokey24 wrote:

Gbam!! Thierry Henry and Dennis Bergkamp failed in Serie A, but lit up the Premier League when they arrived.
Did Thierry Henry really "fail" in Serie A? He was barely 22 at the budding stages of his career when he left, after spending just one season at Juve and scoring 3 goals in 16 appearances.

Your claim that Dennis Bergkamp failed in Serie A is also debatable/questionable.
kajifu
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by kajifu »

cic old boy wrote:You can easily tell how much people know about the game from their comments. Yekini was not fit to be mentioned in the same breath as Weah.

The first thing about football is ability. Anyone that knows the first thing about football and has seen Weah play would know that he was peerless in terms of mastery of the ball. His technique was incredible for a big man. He was Messiesque in terms of ability. To measure him by goals scored alone ignores relevant factors like the amount of work he did outside the box, creativity, etc. To suggest he won World and European Player of the Year b/c of sentiment or the lack of opposition is nuts. Many Africans have argued the reverse - they don't get recognition b/c they are Africans. There were many top, top players that year including Litmanen, Del Piero, Savicevic, Figo, etc.

:clap: :clap: :clap:
bret- hart
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by bret- hart »

Waaay better than Eto and Drogba.
I AM THE EXCELLENCE OF EXECUTION- BRET THE "HITMAN" HART.

The Neo Nueves Hart foundation: R.Onyedika, M.Usor, Y.Sor, A.Adeleye, A.Okonkwo, N.Tella, A.Yusuf, E.Onyenezide, V.Lopez, O.Olusegun.
uglyoneiamagain
Egg
Egg

Post by uglyoneiamagain »

Probably the most complete African Footballer till this day.
Ipe Grams
Egg
Egg

Post by Ipe Grams »

deanotito wrote:
Bigpokey24 wrote:Yekini wasn't better than Weah
When I ask people why Weah was better than Yekini, I get some mix of WPOY excuses. I respect the award but I was watching European soccer back then...every week. I remember quite clearly the soccer atmosphere at the time. I know the quality of strikers that came before and after Weah. As the youngins say, Weah wasn’t ****
Judging both by playing on the football field, Yekini isn’t better than Weah in any department.
"Are you sure you want to go to red alert? It does mean changing the bulb..."
Kryten to Rimmer, Red Dwarf
Kunle
Egg
Egg

Post by Kunle »

cic old boy wrote:You can easily tell how much people know about the game from their comments. Yekini was not fit to be mentioned in the same breath as Weah.

You just hit it right, even better than I was going to put it.
Weah towered above his peers in his playing days and his remarkable ability as a complete player was never in contention. It's disrepectful to even suggest he won his medals on humanitarian ground. :mad:
KK