Will a South American country ever win the WC again?

Discuss World Football here. Continental football, International Leagues, and players.
camex
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: Will a South American country ever win the WC again?

Post by camex »

Bigpokey24 wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 12:14 pm
kalani JR wrote: Sat Jul 10, 2021 7:58 pm
Guv007 wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 10:23 am
Bigpokey24 wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 6:52 pm
Scipio Africanus wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 6:40 pm I highly doubt Brazil will make it past the quarter finals(that's their new level) in the next WC, but we'll circle back to this topic next year.
in the last 6 or 7 World cups, which country has performed better than Brazil other than France or Germany? 2018(Q-final) 2014( Semis) 2010( q-final) 2006( q-final) 2002( winners) 1998( finalist) 1994(winners) last 7 WCs : 2 tiles, 1 final, 1 semi, and 3 q-finals
As long as UEFA Countries have the numbers at the WC they will always have the advantage.
If every central american and carribean country was in the World Cup would they have the advantage?
Yes they will, when they constantly meet each other in the knockout rounds. Give Africa16 spots at the WC and see how many times we make the finals. In fact place 2 African teams in a worldcup group and see how many make it to round 2 or q finals. The more reps you have the better the chances of winning the worldcup. Brazil and Argentina have done so well winning 7 worldcups .
I am not sure. If South America had only three spots per world coup, they would probably have still won 7 world cups. It is not just the number it is also the quality.
Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle

Post by Bigpokey24 »

Numbers are a huge factor. We are talking about reps here . The more participants a continent has. The better their chances are. So let's assume Europe produces 5 reps. Italy, Germany, France , Spain and England, how many times do you think they would make the last 4 of the world cup if CAF had 16 or SA had 10 or Asia had 16 etc?
SuperEagles

© Bigpokey24, most loved on CE
My post are with no warranties and confers zero rights. Get out your feelings
It is not authorized by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use.
All rights aren't reserved
camex
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by camex »

Bigpokey24 wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 1:14 pm Numbers are a huge factor. We are talking about reps here . The more participants a continent has. The better their chances are. So let's assume Europe produces 5 reps. Italy, Germany, France , Spain and England, how many times do you think they would make the last 4 of the world cup if CAF had 16 or SA had 10 or Asia had 16 etc?
if your argument is about making it to the last 4, I agree, but winning the whole thing is a different matter. A decent team can make it to the last 4, but you need to be excellent to win. This is why I argue that it is the number of quality teams that matter and not the whole number of teams, if you look at the winners of the WC.
kofi86
Egg
Egg

Post by kofi86 »

The numbers work both ways. By just looking at the numbers, it is more likely for a European team to win it than an African team (assuming all teams are equally strong). It is also more likely that a knocked out team (for example during the group stage) is european than african. Yet at the 2018 World Cup more African teams went out after the group stage than European teams (5 vs 4).

Also usually there 13-14 European Teams at the World Cup (out of 32), so a European team winning the cup should less likely than a non-european team winning it. Unless of course other factors are at play (quality of the teams, possible home (continent) advantage, rigged refs etc)
"If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!"
kalani JR
Egg
Egg

Post by kalani JR »

Bigpokey24 wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 12:18 pm
King Futcha wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 3:55 am
kalani JR wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 3:40 am
bret- hart wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 2:50 am These Euro teams are overrated. Brazil and Argentina will win it again soon. Even Colombia can win. f we had a good coach not that senle old man **** Nigeria would beat most of these Euro teams. Dont forget also that the World Cup is designed for them to win. 32 teams 16 alone from Europe. WTF.
When did you last watch Colombia?
exactly, that thot just likes to run her mouth.
Actually Colombia finished 3rd in Copa America
Nigeria finished third at the AFCON are you backing them to perform well at the World Cup?
camex
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by camex »

kofi86 wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 3:41 pm The numbers work both ways. By just looking at the numbers, it is more likely for a European team to win it than an African team (assuming all teams are equally strong). It is also more likely that a knocked out team (for example during the group stage) is european than african. Yet at the 2018 World Cup more African teams went out after the group stage than European teams (5 vs 4).

Also usually there 13-14 European Teams at the World Cup (out of 32), so a European team winning the cup should less likely than a non-european team winning it. Unless of course other factors are at play (quality of the teams, possible home (continent) advantage, rigged refs etc)
Your hypothesis is wrong. Europeans teams are better than african teams. That is why the number of teams is not an important factor.
Bell
Egg
Egg

Post by Bell »

Orion wrote: Thu Jul 08, 2021 1:28 pm There is clearly a gap growing mainly due to globalization. All the money is flowing to the centre - Europe. The European leagues are getting richer and more powerful while South American leagues have regressed from the standard that created the likes of Pele, Zico, Maradona, Romario, Ronaldo etc. Many of those players ended up in Europe, of course, but they were developed in South America. How long can that continue if their leagues continue to decline?
I'VE IDENTIFIED THE PROBLEM YOU RAISED & TO OVERCOME IT...

...I proposed a regional structure in world soccer. It would start with W. Africa as the test bed where the region becomes one league with most of the countries contributing one, two or three teams. If competently established and managed in the way that I proposed, It'd would be good enough financially and organizationally to bring back the region's best players. The same template would be used by N. Africa, East/Central Africa and then S. America and Asia, not necessarily in that sequence. I'm still waiting to hear some open-minded discussion on this other than someone saying it's not perfect, therefore, dump it. Instead people, including FIFA, are just going with flow with everybody seeking to identify with a team in Spain or England.
Bell
Bell
Egg
Egg

Post by Bell »

ohenhen1 wrote: Sat Jul 10, 2021 8:02 pm Football is cyclical. Right now the Europeans are dominating. South America will be back.

MORE LIKE A PENDULUM...

...swinging between W. Europe and S. America with the rest of the world pretending that they have a chance.
Bell
ohsee
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by ohsee »

Bell wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 5:35 am
ohenhen1 wrote: Sat Jul 10, 2021 8:02 pm Football is cyclical. Right now the Europeans are dominating. South America will be back.

MORE LIKE A PENDULUM...

...swinging between W. Europe and S. America with the rest of the world pretending that they have a chance.
Bell
Ma fren, the point is that the pendulum stopped swinging in 2002, twenty years ago. It is stuck in Europe. :idea:
Coach
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Coach »

^Imagine. Cyclical since when? Brazil will be mbanefoed any given Sunday should they meet any of Europe’s elite. Argentina the same. The less said of the rest the better. South America, Africa, Asia etc are akin to the white man in the 100M final. There to make up the numbers.

Remember when Pele said “an African country will win the World Cup” and all manner of bowjangling followed. Not any time soon. Said it then, will say it now. As close to no chance as probability allows.
joplass
Egg
Egg

Post by joplass »

A South American country will NOT win in '22, after that yes and it will be Brazil.
Man is comfortable in His imperfection but uncomfortable in His perfection. Me. (Inspired by Karol Józef Wojtyła - Crossing the Threshold of Hope)
camex
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by camex »

joplass wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 11:01 pm A South American country will NOT win in '22, after that yes and it will be Brazil.
Brazil has fallen behind the european countries. Could you imagine in the 80s Brazil losing 7-1 to any country?
Comrade Machel
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Comrade Machel »

Brazil are done for as long as they now have donkeys like Richarlison playing for them in a Copa final. Before 2010 guys like him would be at best be groundsman

Today the only samba player they have in the mould of the old stars is Neymar and that's it

Sad :sad:

I hope Argentina never win it. I hate them :curse:
Ratlala :thumbs: :D

https://youtu.be/8CZLsYase0Q
Molue Conductor
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Molue Conductor »

Many factors.
European monopoly on club football means the rules/referring are continuously consciously and unconsciously being adjusted to suit European style football.

Soccer diaspora means Europe has first pick on players with dual allegiance. (Messi admitted that he was approached to suit up for Spain)

Better economy facilities and infrastructure. US is not even really interested in football but they are on par with most elite African teams simply based on infrastructure availability.

Progressive thinking FA. Europe essentially made the Nation's League to remove the South American advantage in FIFA rankings of playing more "top level games". It worked, 6 of the top seven are European. This affects seeding in the world Cup
Eaglet

Post by camex »

Molue Conductor wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 7:37 pm Many factors.
European monopoly on club football means the rules/referring are continuously consciously and unconsciously being adjusted to suit European style football.

Soccer diaspora means Europe has first pick on players with dual allegiance. (Messi admitted that he was approached to suit up for Spain)

Better economy facilities and infrastructure. US is not even really interested in football but they are on par with most elite African teams simply based on infrastructure availability.

Progressive thinking FA. Europe essentially made the Nation's League to remove the South American advantage in FIFA rankings of playing more "top level games". It worked, 6 of the top seven are European. This affects seeding in the world Cup
Messi would have been different from Mbappe or Kante because he came to Europe as a star. But he turn down so that does not count.

Those players like Mbappe or Kante were born in raised in France. So it is a bit insulting to say that they have a first pick on players who learned the game in Europe. They reap what they sow. I wish they extended this to education too. Look at Germany today versus in the 80s. The team is more diverse, which is an indication they they do a better job at finding talents in the whole society.

How about they have 6 out of 7 because they deserve this?
joplass
Egg
Egg

Post by joplass »

camex wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 7:32 am
joplass wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 11:01 pm A South American country will NOT win in '22, after that yes and it will be Brazil.
Brazil has fallen behind the european countries. Could you imagine in the 80s Brazil losing 7-1 to any country?
They are learning from that experience. Defense is serious for them these days.
Man is comfortable in His imperfection but uncomfortable in His perfection. Me. (Inspired by Karol Józef Wojtyła - Crossing the Threshold of Hope)
joplass
Egg
Egg

Post by joplass »

Comrade Machel wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 10:05 am Brazil are done for as long as they now have donkeys like Richarlison playing for them in a Copa final. Before 2010 guys like him would be at best be groundsman

Today the only samba player they have in the mould of the old stars is Neymar and that's it

Sad :sad:

I hope Argentina never win it. I hate them :curse:
Add me to the list of Argentina haters. What those fascists did to the Indian population is worst than what Hitler did to the Jews.
kalani JR
Egg
Egg

Post by kalani JR »

I don't think Brazil is often at a real disadvantage, other than Thiago I can't think of a Brazilian who outright rejected Brazil for their other country.
Molue Conductor
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Molue Conductor »

kalani JR wrote: Sat Jul 17, 2021 7:30 am

I don't think Brazil is often at a real disadvantage, other than Thiago I can't think of a Brazilian who outright rejected Brazil for their other country.
I think first pick is not the right word, they get options.
There are a few Brazilians Jorginho, Eduardo, Diego Costa, Pepe. Comes to mind for Brazilians.
But this is bigger than Brazil.
Imagine of Nigeria needs a LB to balance the team, our options are more limited than if Austria/Germany/Belgium etc. needs one. Germany can pull from rejected but still decent LB from players from other countries with some German allegiance. I can only remember one case in Africa, when Tunisia won the ANC in 2004 with their Brazilian striker

The fact is Europe gets this advantage in this respect more so than others, and combined with other things it adds up.

Example on point 1. WC are generally schedules to be played on weather agreeable to Europeans. If it's too hot for them, then water breaks are mandated. If it's too cold for Africans, nothing is done.
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Scipio Africanus »

kalani JR wrote: Sat Jul 17, 2021 7:30 am

Jorginho and Emerson, who just won the Euros with Italy, are Brazilians who switched nationality to represent Italy.

Mauro Camoranesi, who won the WC with Italy in 2006, was born in Argentina and came up through their youth football system, but switched to Italy.

Thiago Alcantara, as the son of the Brazilian 1994 WC winner Mazinho, was eligible for Brazil but chose Spain and played for Spain in these just concluded Euros.

I'm sure there are a few more South American stars who chose European teams that I've overlooked.

Wha choo looking at?!
Ipe Grams
Egg
Egg

Post by Ipe Grams »

camex wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 8:36 pm
kofi86 wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 3:41 pm The numbers work both ways. By just looking at the numbers, it is more likely for a European team to win it than an African team (assuming all teams are equally strong). It is also more likely that a knocked out team (for example during the group stage) is european than african. Yet at the 2018 World Cup more African teams went out after the group stage than European teams (5 vs 4).

Your hypothesis is wrong. Europeans teams are better than african teams. That is why the number of teams is not an important factor.
We talking South America not Africa, and UEFA numbers and seedings gives them an advantage over South American/CONMEBOL
"Are you sure you want to go to red alert? It does mean changing the bulb..."
Kryten to Rimmer, Red Dwarf
wanaj0
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by wanaj0 »

azuka wrote: Thu Jul 08, 2021 4:33 pm
Scipio Africanus wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 6:40 pm I highly doubt Brazil will make it past the quarter finals(that's their new level) in the next WC, but we'll circle back to this topic next year.
in the last 6 or 7 World cups, which country has performed better than Brazil other than France or Germany? 2018(Q-final) 2014( Semis) 2010( q-final) 2006( q-final) 2002( winners) 1998( finalist) 1994(winners) last 7 WCs : 2 tiles, 1 final, 1 semi, and 3 q-finals
Not even that self. Brazil finally has a complete team: 2 world class goalies, a world class striker and world class defenders. Add to that a coach that's tactically sound.
And lost to Argentina :taunt:
“We do not have natural disasters in Nigeria, the only disaster we have is human beings,”
Ipe Grams
Egg
Egg

Post by Ipe Grams »

wanaj0 wrote: Sun Jul 18, 2021 7:59 am
azuka wrote: Thu Jul 08, 2021 4:33 pm
Not even that self. Brazil finally has a complete team: 2 world class goalies, a world class striker and world class defenders. Add to that a coach that's tactically sound.
And lost to Argentina :taunt:
Brazil alone can't go through all the top UEFA Countries on its own and needs other top teams to soften them up or knock them out and a bit of luck.
"Are you sure you want to go to red alert? It does mean changing the bulb..."
Kryten to Rimmer, Red Dwarf