The science of football: France, Giroud and Benzema

Discuss World Football here. Continental football, International Leagues, and players.
Scipio Africanus
Eaglet
Eaglet
The science of football: France, Giroud and Benzema

Post by Scipio Africanus »

France have been having trouble scoring since Benzema replaced Giroud(the so called non scoring striker). They labored to a 0-0 draw today with Bosnia with Mbappe, Benzema and Griezmann on the pitch.

I am 100% sure France would not have won the WC in 2018 if Benzema had been on the team instead of Giroud. Giroud drew defenders in, distorted the opponents defensive shape, held up the ball and in so doing created acres of space for Mbappe and(to a lesser extent, Griezmann). Now Mbappe and Benzema just get in each other's way because they are too similar.

Do y'all now see the value of hold up play from a big forward? Tactiss sweet o!!! :thumbs:

I wish Ideye had been taken to the 2014 WC by the Great Keshi. He was our Giroud (non scoring striker, but excellent at hold up play).

Wha choo looking at?!
Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle
Re: The science of football: France, Giroud and Benzema

Post by Bigpokey24 »

i no wan talk, but Giroud and France were so much better than Benzema
SuperEagles

© Bigpokey24, most loved on CE
My post are with no warranties and confers zero rights. Get out your feelings
It is not authorized by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use.
All rights aren't reserved
Comrade Machel
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Comrade Machel »

Scipio Africanus wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 1:01 am France have been having trouble scoring since Benzema replaced Giroud(the so called non scoring striker). They labored to a 0-0 draw today with Bosnia with Mbappe, Benzema and Griezmann on the pitch.

I am 100% sure France would not have won the WC in 2018 if Benzema had been on the team instead of Giroud. Giroud drew defenders in, distorted the opponents defensive shape, held up the ball and in so doing created acres of space for Mbappe and(to a lesser extent, Griezmann). Now Mbappe and Benzema just get in each other's way because they are too similar.

Do y'all now see the value of hold up play from a big forward? Tactiss sweet o!!! :thumbs:

I wish Ideye had been taken to the 2014 WC by the Great Keshi. He was our Giroud (non scoring striker, but excellent at hold up play).

:thumb:
Benzema takes away more than he adds to the France attack. In the Euros the attack was just not the same as when Giroud led it
Ratlala :thumbs: :D

https://youtu.be/8CZLsYase0Q
Cristao II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Cristao II »

I agree Scipio. I really couldn't understand Deschamps. Did Giroud do something to him? Ego is something that causes wahala in that nation.
furiously frank
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by furiously frank »

Scipio Africanus wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 1:01 am France have been having trouble scoring since Benzema replaced Giroud(the so called non scoring striker). They labored to a 0-0 draw today with Bosnia with Mbappe, Benzema and Griezmann on the pitch.

Amokachi did that for Yekini until jealousy crept ...
"That Justice is a blind goddess
Is a thing to which we blacks are wise.
Her bandage hides two festering sores
That once perhaps were eyes."
Langston Hughes, 1923
Donzman
Egg
Egg

Post by Donzman »

Can you back this up with real figures? How many goals were scored in the period prior to Benzema's return? How many goals since he returned?

Benzema is no slouch in holding up play and bringing others into the game, he did this for years at Madrid with Ronaldo and Bale on the team. Mbappe and Griezmann have not hit top form for a year now and I don't think Benzema is to blame. They have underperformed at club level too.
bret- hart
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by bret- hart »

France players are massively overrated. They are not all that
I AM THE EXCELLENCE OF EXECUTION- BRET THE "HITMAN" HART.

The Neo Nueves Hart foundation: R.Onyedika, M.Usor, Y.Sor, A.Adeleye, A.Okonkwo, N.Tella, A.Yusuf, E.Onyenezide, V.Lopez, O.Olusegun.