The Arsenal FC - Related News and Devts for 2023-24 Season

Discuss World Football here. Continental football, International Leagues, and players.
Sleaky72
Egg
Egg
Re: The Arsenal FC - Related News and Devts for 2023-24 Season

Post by Sleaky72 »

Waffiman wrote: Sat Jul 15, 2023 7:44 pm
Sleaky72 wrote: Sat Jul 15, 2023 2:53 pm Declan Rice officially unveiled as an Arsenal player.
Won’t say I’m that excited about the signing … for that price.
I really understand what Wenger used 2 whinge ‘bout when it came
to the “English Tax” on players.

105 mill on a player like Rice is obscene.
Lemme hear folks come back and whinge
about the American owners again ..
American owner was forced by protests into spending. The Arsenal fans forced the issue.

Credit to him, he has spent money, and thanks to Wenger who made the sacrifices paying off the stadium mortgage.

Look at Spurs with the huge debt of the stadium. Despite improved TV money and use of stadium as a concert venue, they are shopping at 2nd tier hoping they become better players to improve the team. It is exactly what we did to get by with our stadium debts.
They spent 80 mill on Mustafi and Xhaka
55 mill on Auba
75 mill on Pepe and what did they get back?
55 mill on BWhite
Nearly 80 mill on Jesus and Zinchy …
Are you kidding that they haven’t invested in the team?

And now 105 for Rice
Nearly 70 mill for Havertz?
Bruh? Sorry they’ve done their job.
Arteta and Edu better get this right
Sleaky72
Egg
Egg

Post by Sleaky72 »

Waffiman wrote: Sat Jul 15, 2023 7:50 pm
Sleaky72 wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2023 4:36 pm
azuka wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2023 3:42 pm Hurrayyyyy :clap: :clap: :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs:

Arsenal confirm William Saliba has signed new four-year contract

By David Ornstein
25m ago

Save Article
Arsenal have confirmed William Saliba has signed a new four-year contract that will commit him to the club until 2027.

The 22-year-old defender has put pen to paper on a deal — which The Athletic revealed last month had been agreed — worth in the region of £10million a year.

The terms do not include an option to extend but, in keeping with other Arsenal contracts, there is no release clause.

ADVERTISEMENT

The France international’s previous contract was scheduled to expire in 2024 and, given Arsenal had activated an option to take it that far, there was no provision for a further extension.

But the north London side have now secured his services for longer, amid strong interest from other teams in the Premier League and abroad.

Edu, Arsenal’s sporting director, told the club’s website: “William is part of our vision to keep our talented young players, who will hopefully be successful with us for many years to come, so that we can grow and progress together.”

Mikel Arteta said: “To have William extend his contract with us was something we have wanted to do for a long time. William proved last season just how good and how important he is to our squad.

“The ability he has at his young age of just 22 is exciting, and there is of course so much more room for development with any player at this stage of their career. We’re looking forward to continuing to work with William in the years to come.”

Follow the summer transfer window with The Athletic…

Transfer blog — live updates
Premier League done deals
Saliba, who will wear the No 2 shirt next season, was a key player last season as Arsenal challenged for the Premier League title. He missed the last 11 games through injury, which coincided with a drop in form and saw Mikel Arteta’s side slip from the top of the table behind eventual champions Manchester City.

Saliba follows his team-mates Bukayo Saka, Gabriel, Gabriel Martinelli and Aaron Ramsdale in signing a new contract with the north London side.

Saliba joined Arsenal from French side Saint-Etienne in 2019 but spent significant spells out on loan. He returned to Saint-Etienne for the rest of the 2019-20 season. He spent the first half of the 2020-21 campaign with Arsenal before moving to Nice in January.

ADVERTISEMENT

He then had a season on loan with Marseille before returning to Arsenal last summer. Saliba played 27 times in all competitions as Arsenal missed out on the title but qualified for the Champions League.

https://theathletic.com/4673642/2023/07 ... -contract/
This was the one extension that I must give Edu and Arteta credit for. Even Mikel admitted he was worried about his relationship with Saliba @ the beginning of the season but credit to them to two bosses.

One thing they have done over Wenger is keep their young talent at home with all the hounds hovering over them. They have to win something big soon though or else all the sweet talk may not help keep the dam from collapsing. English football has some deep pockets now with the Sheikhs in Newcastle and potentially another one in Manchester.
They have money, so they can do what Wenger could not do. Besides, Wenger's sacrifices has made what we are enjoying today's possible. The vast majority of us love and respect the man for what he did for us.

Arteta spent more money in two seasons than Wenger did in his time at the Emirates.

Don't compare them to Wenger, and if you have to, put some context.
Erm Wenger spent 80 mill on Chaka and Mustafi.
He also gave us Ozil instead of adding more than a pound for Suarez. I know you love the man but he wouldn’t pay three million pounds for a better goalie and was stuck with Almunia.

Love Wenger all you want but the man was well past his sell by date. Kyle Jenkinson and Yaya Sanogo say Hi as wel lol
Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle

Post by Bigpokey24 »

250M spent on 3 players..pathetic
SuperEagles

© Bigpokey24, most loved on CE
My post are with no warranties and confers zero rights. Get out your feelings
It is not authorized by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use.
All rights aren't reserved
Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle

Post by Bigpokey24 »

https://www.transfermarkt.us/mikel-arte ... 620/plus/1
Declan Rice transfer to take total Mikel Arteta spending at Arsenal to nearly £600m
this Arteta has spent this much only to show the FA cup . hmmmm
SuperEagles

Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle

Post by Bigpokey24 »

The fee mooted for Rice has been stated at £105m while Timber could arrive for £40m, taking this year's spending to over £200m alone.

And in total, that would amount to £591.5m - just shy of £600m worth of transfers spent by Arteta during his Arsenal reign.
SuperEagles

Cito
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Cito »

There will be major wailing and gnashing of teeth on these pages, come season end.
"Learn from others whom have walked the path before you, but be smart enough to know when to cut your own trail."
Waffiman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Waffiman »

Sleaky72 wrote: Sun Jul 16, 2023 12:59 am
Waffiman wrote: Sat Jul 15, 2023 7:50 pm
Sleaky72 wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2023 4:36 pm
azuka wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2023 3:42 pm Hurrayyyyy :clap: :clap: :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs:

By David Ornstein
25m ago

Save Article
Arsenal have confirmed William Saliba has signed a new four-year contract that will commit him to the club until 2027.

The 22-year-old defender has put pen to paper on a deal — which The Athletic revealed last month had been agreed — worth in the region of £10million a year.

The terms do not include an option to extend but, in keeping with other Arsenal contracts, there is no release clause.

ADVERTISEMENT

The France international’s previous contract was scheduled to expire in 2024 and, given Arsenal had activated an option to take it that far, there was no provision for a further extension.

But the north London side have now secured his services for longer, amid strong interest from other teams in the Premier League and abroad.

Edu, Arsenal’s sporting director, told the club’s website: “William is part of our vision to keep our talented young players, who will hopefully be successful with us for many years to come, so that we can grow and progress together.”

Mikel Arteta said: “To have William extend his contract with us was something we have wanted to do for a long time. William proved last season just how good and how important he is to our squad.

“The ability he has at his young age of just 22 is exciting, and there is of course so much more room for development with any player at this stage of their career. We’re looking forward to continuing to work with William in the years to come.”

Follow the summer transfer window with The Athletic…

Transfer blog — live updates
Premier League done deals
Saliba, who will wear the No 2 shirt next season, was a key player last season as Arsenal challenged for the Premier League title. He missed the last 11 games through injury, which coincided with a drop in form and saw Mikel Arteta’s side slip from the top of the table behind eventual champions Manchester City.

Saliba follows his team-mates Bukayo Saka, Gabriel, Gabriel Martinelli and Aaron Ramsdale in signing a new contract with the north London side.

Saliba joined Arsenal from French side Saint-Etienne in 2019 but spent significant spells out on loan. He returned to Saint-Etienne for the rest of the 2019-20 season. He spent the first half of the 2020-21 campaign with Arsenal before moving to Nice in January.

ADVERTISEMENT

He then had a season on loan with Marseille before returning to Arsenal last summer. Saliba played 27 times in all competitions as Arsenal missed out on the title but qualified for the Champions League.

https://theathletic.com/4673642/2023/07 ... -contract/
This was the one extension that I must give Edu and Arteta credit for. Even Mikel admitted he was worried about his relationship with Saliba @ the beginning of the season but credit to them to two bosses.

One thing they have done over Wenger is keep their young talent at home with all the hounds hovering over them. They have to win something big soon though or else all the sweet talk may not help keep the dam from collapsing. English football has some deep pockets now with the Sheikhs in Newcastle and potentially another one in Manchester.
They have money, so they can do what Wenger could not do. Besides, Wenger's sacrifices has made what we are enjoying today's possible. The vast majority of us love and respect the man for what he did for us.

Arteta spent more money in two seasons than Wenger did in his time at the Emirates.

Don't compare them to Wenger, and if you have to, put some context.
Erm Wenger spent 80 mill on Chaka and Mustafi.
He also gave us Ozil instead of adding more than a pound for Suarez. I know you love the man but he wouldn’t pay three million pounds for a better goalie and was stuck with Almunia.

Love Wenger all you want but the man was well past his sell by date. Kyle Jenkinson and Yaya Sanogo say Hi as wel lol
You are making my point. Wenger was shopping cheap market trying to make the little money they gave go as far as possible. He got some wrong, but got most right. He made what we are experiencing today happen, he managed and kept us at the top without funds in the face of crazy money being spent all around him as these clubs took Arsenal’s players. Put respect to that name. 8-)
Arsène Wenger at Arsenal, 1996 to 2018. I was there.
Waffiman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Waffiman »

Cito wrote: Sun Jul 16, 2023 4:04 am There will be major wailing and gnashing of teeth on these pages, come season end.
Why?

When we had no money, Arsenal and their fans were mocked and laughed out of the joint. Now we spend money, I hear the same complaining with bad belle. Make una ready, your tears will never stop flowing. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Na our turn for our tap to rush. No time for bad belle people. You can cry, while we get ready to fight for the highest honours in an organic and neat way.
Waffiman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Waffiman »

azuka wrote: Thu Jul 06, 2023 1:03 pm Gooners for life.

I think it's about time to open a new thread for the incoming season, with hope. Moreso as we await in a matter of hours the announcement of Saliba's new contract. Hopefully that good news will be harbinger of more great news of our great club.

Let's go Gooners.
Bro, a lot of talk of Partey accepting an offer from a Saudi club.

If true, I hope we sell Eddie and keep Balogun. But I have a feeling Arteta prefers Eddie. With proceeds from the sale of Eddie and Balogun, we must go get Caicedo.

But the rumours are, Lavia is the intended target. Selling Partey and getting Lavia, (a player I rate highly), is not a bad move because it will mean Rice can play as the 8 or half 8, like Xhaka did, with Lavia the 6, but Arsenal will be a serious title contender with Caceido at 8, and Rice at 6.
elerineye
Egg
Egg

Post by elerineye »

Waffiman wrote: Sun Jul 16, 2023 7:30 am
Cito wrote: Sun Jul 16, 2023 4:04 am There will be major wailing and gnashing of teeth on these pages, come season end.
Why?

When we had no money, Arsenal and their fans were mocked and laughed out of the joint. Now we spend money, I hear the same complaining with bad belle. Make una ready, your tears will never stop flowing. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Na our turn for our tap to rush. No time for bad belle people. You can cry, while we get ready to fight for the highest honours in an organic and neat way.
Haha… :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:
...work out your own salvation with fear and trembling. - Phil. 2: 12

...as for me and my house, we will serve the LORD. - Josh. 24: 15

"You need to grow up and respect the fact that people can disagree with you without you getting personal about it. People have a right to express their opinion and you have no right to try and suppress the rights of others because you do not like or disagree with it." - Waffiman
packerland
Egg
Egg

Post by packerland »

Waffiman wrote: Sun Jul 16, 2023 7:41 am

I think it's about time to open a new thread for the incoming season, with hope. Moreso as we await in a matter of hours the announcement of Saliba's new contract. Hopefully that good news will be harbinger of more great news of our great club.

Let's go Gooners.

If true, I hope we sell Eddie and keep Balogun. But I have a feeling Arteta prefers Eddie. With proceeds from the sale of Eddie and Balogun, we must go get Caicedo.

But the rumours are, Lavia is the intended target. Selling Partey and getting Lavia, (a player I rate highly), is not a bad move because it will mean Rice can play as the 8 or half 8, like Xhaka did, with Lavia the 6, but Arsenal will be a serious title contender with Caceido at 8, and Rice at 6.

You get it :clap: :clap:
"Yea right, we await the beatings the Aussie has for them. The Falcons are just another bad team at the women world cup".....fatpokey Tue Jul 25, 2023 4:34 .
Waffiman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Waffiman »

https://www.eurosport.co.uk/football/pr ... tory.shtml

Arsene Wenger on Arsenal signing Rice, Havertz and Timber.

“I think it is a good investment,” Wenger told Eurosport. “Overall, personally I think they have made good buys as they are players who are now mature, 23,24, and still young so can stay together for a few years."
balo
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by balo »

Why?

The other way round should be the rhetoric. Arsenal fans were angry at clubs spending real money to invest in their brands as "Money miss road", "Grand daddy clubs", Oligarch-oil money clubs etc.

Welcome "back" to the club.

Drop another 100m GBP and you will definitely get Caicedo.
If Noah had been truly wise, he would have swatted those two flies. -- Helen Castle

http://i42.tinypic.com/210hk01.jpg
elerineye
Egg
Egg

Post by elerineye »

balo wrote: Sun Jul 16, 2023 3:56 pm
Why?

The other way round should be the rhetoric. Arsenal fans were angry at clubs spending real money to invest in their brands as "Money miss road", "Grand daddy clubs", Oligarch-oil money clubs etc.

We just might… :D
...work out your own salvation with fear and trembling. - Phil. 2: 12

...as for me and my house, we will serve the LORD. - Josh. 24: 15

"You need to grow up and respect the fact that people can disagree with you without you getting personal about it. People have a right to express their opinion and you have no right to try and suppress the rights of others because you do not like or disagree with it." - Waffiman
danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by danfo driver »

packerland wrote: Sun Jul 16, 2023 1:09 pm
Waffiman wrote: Sun Jul 16, 2023 7:41 am

Let's go Gooners.

You get it :clap: :clap:
:clap: :clap: :clap: Serious title contenders!!! :thumbs:
"it is better to be excited now and disappointed later, than it is to be disappointed now and later." - Marcus Aurelius, 178AD
metalalloy wrote: Does the SE have Gray, Mahrez or Albrighton on our team or players of their caliber?
danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by danfo driver »

:rotf: :rotf: :rotf: Reading some comments from Arsenal fans and its clear that some of them have forgotten what it takes to win titles. You want to win a title with a non-scoring striker?

There are stories of clubs who went out to get that specific striker to win a title. Chelsea had to go and get Drogba and Costa, United did Van Persie, Liverpool, Suarez. City couldnt win the CL , until the went to get Haaland.
"it is better to be excited now and disappointed later, than it is to be disappointed now and later." - Marcus Aurelius, 178AD
metalalloy wrote: Does the SE have Gray, Mahrez or Albrighton on our team or players of their caliber?
danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by danfo driver »

They are celebrating Rice like Mbappe. A club that had players they Rice couldnt even clean their boots -- Vieira, Manu Petit, Gilberto, just to name a few. Rice should be the one celebrating for getting into Arsenal. :D
danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by danfo driver »

EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA wrote: Sat Jul 15, 2023 10:46 pm
danfo driver wrote: Sat Jul 15, 2023 9:54 pm
EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA wrote: Sat Jul 15, 2023 9:26 pm Is Declan Rice really worth £105m? I’ve only watch’s him a few times with England and West Ham but the player I saw was no better than Partey shielding the defense and no better than Jorginho going forward. Is he worth that much or are Arsenal too happy to pay the England player tax?
he is a good player. I like him. However, he is not worth close to that amount, not even close. Like I mentioned earlier, he isnt as good as the Casemiros and Rodris. And I do not believe he is better than Partey or Xhaka. Just younger and may end up being better, but not now.

Its quite interesting how the club and their fans are celebrating this. LIke they have signed a generational talent or someone who can bring titles "single-handedly.
" :lol:
That's why I had to come to this thread and ask the question. They're making rap videos over Declan Rice like he's a messiah. :laugh:
I thought I was the only one but I don't believe their MF is any better but they have more depth unless they sell Partey. Imho, I think Jorginho might be the more effective player.
My brother, this is a club that has had Vieira, Petit and Gilberto. Rice cannot even clean their boots.

They will regret selling Partey. I would have convinced Xhaka to stay. Xhaka, Partey, Rice and Jorginho would have been very solid. They think the reason they lost the title was Saliba's absence. :rotf: The real reason they lost the title was Partey lost form and Xhaka was fooking tired! Had they gotten Caicedo in January, they'd have won the title! They needed a serious replacement/support for Xhaka and Partey -- the real cog in their machine.
balo
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by balo »

elerineye wrote: Sun Jul 16, 2023 4:15 pm
Why?

Please do. Save Chelsea the indecision phase the directors found themselves..
If Noah had been truly wise, he would have swatted those two flies. -- Helen Castle

danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by danfo driver »

balo wrote: Sun Jul 16, 2023 6:44 pm
Why?

There is no indecision. This is not play station. It takes a lot to run a football club..

If you have Netflix, I'll recommend the Sunderland documentary.
balo
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by balo »

danfo driver wrote: Sun Jul 16, 2023 7:31 pm
Why?

There is no indecision. This is not play station. It takes a lot to run a football club..

I know they don't want to get fleeced. But 4/5 weeks on a single target? I am fine not getting him. They can just identify a player withing their price range and go for him.

The seriousness of the woeful season we just had should not be lost on them to move quickly with targeted talent.

packerland
Egg
Egg

Post by packerland »

danfo driver wrote: Sun Jul 16, 2023 6:33 pm
:rotf: :rotf: :rotf: Reading some comments from Arsenal fans and its clear that some of them have forgotten what it takes to win titles. You want to win a title with a non-scoring striker?

There are stories of clubs who went out to get that specific striker to win a title. Chelsea had to go and get Drogba and Costa, United did Van Persie, Liverpool, Suarez. City couldnt win the CL , until the went to get Haaland.
Dumbfo,

I didn’t know Suarez won a title with Liverpool.
"Yea right, we await the beatings the Aussie has for them. The Falcons are just another bad team at the women world cup".....fatpokey Tue Jul 25, 2023 4:34 .
danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by danfo driver »

balo wrote: Sun Jul 16, 2023 7:58 pm
danfo driver wrote: Sun Jul 16, 2023 7:31 pm
Why?

I know they don't want to get fleeced. But 4/5 weeks on a single target? I am fine not getting him. They can just identify a player withing their price range and go for him.

The seriousness of the woeful season we just had should not be lost on them to move quickly with targeted talent.
They are negotiating.

Some clubs do it this way. Rather than sending public bids that get rejected, 2-4 times. They have conversations with the other club, they agree a fee and then the continue conversations on payment structure.

I once did a deal (non-sports) that we agreed a deal and it too us close to 3 months to finally agree on payment structure.