The Community Plate - How did Obi Play?

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

maceo4
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by maceo4 »

Killa Adjei wrote:
maceo4 wrote:
Killa Adjei wrote:Stop wasting your time man, it's no use...On this website Mikel is the best midfielder in the world but good to know there are many who don't agree... :lol:
Its funny though, people are bringing facts to the table, but all you guys argument is just opinion. Is a Cameroon guy not gonna see his country's players as being better than they actually are just like a Nigerian would. But lets focus on the facts, and we have easy and straight forwards one with respect to Obi and Geremi yet someone is coming her to tell me that I should take his OPINION instead of FACT?
And what facts do you have that Obi is a better player than him...What accolades has Obi won as a player, what has he done at the international level, is it because he plays for Chelsea that makes him better...Heck there are guys like Ezquerro on Barcelona, does it make them better than Martins who is on Newcastle which is a smaller club than Barcelona...The only reason you guys have given is Obi played for Chelsea in his first year, what else has he done besides that, has he even scored a champions league goal talk less of won a champions league, the dude scores against 3rd division sides and all of a sudden he's the better than everyone else....

Geremi has played with the likes of Real Madrid who are a way bigger club than Chelsea and has won accolades with them, what has Obi won, the FA Cup....I remember some one on this site saying Obi would be better than Essien within 2 months, where is that person, is he still better than him.... :lol:
This is where your lack of reading comprehension rears its ugly head. The question at hand is not "has Geremi achieved more in his career than Mikel" but rather IS HE A BETTER PLAYER THAN MIKEL! GET IT???? Forgetting the fact that Geremi has been a bit part player for EVERY "big" team he's played at and has only shone in smaller teams. The only logical way to gauge the question at hand is to put them on the same team and allow a manager to select between the two of them for the same position and from the evidence at hand the manager selected Obi over Geremi not once, not twice, but THROUGHOUT THE ENTIRE SEASON! Geremi was just cheesing enjoying his money while he rode the Chelsea bench knowing good and well that he is only good enough to be a bit part /stop gap player (just like Sidwell will be doing this year if I may add. But I digress :lol:) to fill in where there wasn't adequate cover.
Super Eagus 4 Life!
Made in the image of God that's a selfie!
airwolex
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by airwolex »

Geremi has played with the likes of Real Madrid who are a way bigger club than Chelsea and has won accolades with them, what has Obi won, the FA Cup....I remember some one on this site saying Obi would be better than Essien within 2 months, where is that person, is he still better than him....
Killa Adjei please go to bed. The fact that Geremis has won a million and one accolades in the past does not make him better than Obi. Perhaps he is better than Essien too abi?

Olodo rabata. Geremis was brought to Chelsea as a midfielder and in four odd years was never able to get a regular shirt. He was moved to right back and was still unable to hold a shirt despite the fact that it was a huge problem position for us last season to the point that Essien had to be drafted in. So this is the same guy that is supposed to be better than Obi? Rubbish!
Killa Adjei
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Killa Adjei »

I see you have no answer....The only point you have made is Obi plays for Chelsea so he must be better than everybody else...The same Obi who was rotting on Chelsea's bench the beginning of the season and couldn't even get 1 game and only started because of injuries on the team...I guess now playing for a big team all of a sudden makes you a good player and better than others...Maxi Lopez played for Barcelona, heck he even scored a goal in the champions league against Chelsea, is he better than Martins who plays for Newcastle a smaller club than Barcelona...What about Ezquerro for Barcelona....What about the Naija dude who played for Barca, Gbenga or some like that, is he also good....

Geremi has won things, scored key goals, and played for clubs Obi could dream of playing for...He is no better than Geremi, he has done nothing to prove this, except play in a couple of games for Chelsea in which most of it he was coming off the bench, all of a sudden that makes him better than people who have won Champions League and scored decisive goals...

Why don't we compare Obi to someone his age like Lionel Messi of Barcelona....The same Messi who Obi played at the World Youth Cup with but came second best player....The same Messi who is now being considered for the World's Best Player for 2007 along with the likes of Cristiano Ronaldo, Kaka, and Drogba...The same Messi who has scored key goals for his team in Champions League, the same Messi who is scoring hat tricks in the "El Classico"...The same Messi who scored 15 goals for his club last season even though he was injured for like 2 or 3 months...How much did Barcelona pay for Messi, barely nothing while Chelsea shelled out a good 16 million pounds for this Obi only for him to warm the bench for a good part of the season, score against 3rd division sides in uselesss beer cups when he was team was clearly demonishing the opposition....Yes I'm sure Chelsea has gotten a good return on their investments...Meanwhile Messi is now one of the top 5 most marketable players in the world...Barcelona must be laughing all the way to the bank, what they paid nothing for is now a success worldwide....Is Obi even amongst the 100 most marketable in the world....I'm sure Chelsea has made a good return on their 16 million pounds...

Yes Obi is better than Geremi because he plays for Chelsea...I hear you...What else is new...After on this forum Obi has being compared to Zidane and some even said within 2 months he will be better than Essien, has is it happened.... :lol:
We are the centre of the pitch, we are precise, we are our effort, we are attackers who defend, we are defenders who attack, we are respected by our rivals, we are recognised by our rivals, we are every goal that we score, we are those who always look for our opponent's goal, WE ARE ONE.

Pep Guardiola To Barca Before CL Final
green4life
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by green4life »

killa, you done lost your damn mind. you obviously don't watch chelsea games like I admit I don't watch half of barca games (cuz I follow epl more) ... mikel vs. geremi is a joke. go to cfcnet.com and start the thread and watch blues faithfuls laugh you off the board... in fact, tommorrow (when I get chance) I go copy and paste comments from the thread on geremi being sold for nothing. we chelsea fans like him for his great attitude et al, but no one will vouch for his quality cuz he's subpar for mourihno expectations... then you talk about goals scored like a retard: how many goals did essien score his first season at chelsea? (like 2 or 3) how many goals did maka score 2 seasons ago (just 1 late season pk vs bolton)... how can a dumb asss compare a dm vs. a striker in goals scored? then u bring up marketability... this is another joke... as great as essien is, pray how marketable is his african asss in a european league? you've lost it for real.
Mudi E
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Mudi E »

My thing about Mikel is that Mourinho should let him initiate Chelsea's attack and give him the free will to do so. He seemed hamstrung sometimes as if he lacks confidence to go forward to join the attack. He can do great things as exemplified by his great incisive passing to Wright Philips or Joe Cole.

Mourinho should let Obi play with his natural instinct and that will build his confidence. Only great things can come from him if this happens.
Nigeria shall wallop the dormitable lions
King Futcha
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by King Futcha »

come on now, Geremi>>>Obi
Saints baby we did it
“I am in my technical zone and I can’t hear the boos,” Domenech said.
Killa Adjei
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Killa Adjei »

Sorry Obi shrinners, I don't mean no harm oooo....I never said Geremi was better than Obi but I don't think the way you guys are making it seem like Geremi is so below him, Obi may be a tad bit above Geremi but not to the degree you guys are making it seem...Obi was on the Chelsea bench for the beginning of the season, picking up red cards here and there...Maybe in a couple of years you could say that Geremi is not in Obi's class but not yet because Obi hasn't done jack in international football....With the goals argument take it like how you want with Essien and Makelele whatever in their first seasons, the guy doesn't have an eye for goal yet, he is still learning...

Why is the comparisons with Messi not valid, they both were in the same tournament where Obi finished one place below Messi, who cares if Messi is a striker, winger or whatnot, I'm not talking about how much goals they score, I'm talking about the impact they have for their teams, stepping up critically when the team needs them the most, Messi has already demonstrated this for Barca already numerous times, what has Obi done....Why is the argument not warranted...Right now Messi is being considered as one of the best in the world in his position if not the best player in the world, is Obi even the best midfielder in Chelsea, the EPL, talk less of in the world....How much did Messi cost Barcelona compared to 16 million pounds for Obi, for 16 million pounds, we expected more and he hasn't show squat, we are still waiting for him to fulfill his 16 million pound price tag...Messi cost Barcelona barely nothing and he has paid off for Barcelona tremendously...In terms of marketability I may have jumped too quick on that, true Africans aren't as marketable but the report I read had Eto'o behind Messi or in front of him so some Africans are...
We are the centre of the pitch, we are precise, we are our effort, we are attackers who defend, we are defenders who attack, we are respected by our rivals, we are recognised by our rivals, we are every goal that we score, we are those who always look for our opponent's goal, WE ARE ONE.

airwolex
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by airwolex »

The people that lack objectivity on this thread are the non-Nigerians. The usual suspects; Young Lioness, Killa Hyena and Queen Futcha. :lol: :lol: :lol:

At the end of the day; keep your Geremi and we'll keep Obi. If you think someone that has spent the last three years firmly rooted to the bench is indeed better than Obi then thats your shelenge.

As for Killa; if you must compare Messi to Obi then we admit that Messi is the better player but as Messi is perhaps one of the best players in the whole gaddem World I don't see how that helps your disgustingly shamolic arguement. Don't let bad belle kill you.
General Trousers
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by General Trousers »

I guess the answer is that Mikel Obi is a role player and his play is deep in the midfield ... if he abandoned that it would expose his team to great harm. I think that is fine ...

The other Nigerian player that I really like is Olufemi Oladapo. He is the most exciting Nigerian player I have seen in a long time ... while we are loaded on the striker side from the Ogbukes, Oferes, Uches and Ishiakus all the way to the established guys like Martins and Yakubu, we are very thin on the midfield side of things. Canada 07 gave us Owello and Ozonkwo ... and there are others whom we have never seen. Let us hope that Mikel Obi can continue to grow and have a great season.
forade
Egg
Egg

Post by forade »

It is wrong to compare Mikel Obi to Geremi. Period. Mikel is ,no doubt, a mercurial talent whereas Geremi , throughout his career so far, has been a decent player. Even in the "Brentford massacre" that Non-Nigerians go on about people forget that Obi was one of the better players on the field in the first half (on a pitch with some of Africa's most experienced and talented players). It was the second half "capitulation of the century" by Nigeria that marred what would have been remembered as a good performance from Obi amongst his African peers.

Killa, Young lion your views are well recieved but frankly Obi is a very talented player .Wether that talent will be harnessed properly at Chelsea is another matter. For anyone to say Nigerians shrine Obi too much is plain wrong . Obi's greatest critics are Nigerian !!!! Nigerians are well known for calling a spade a spade. If you dont make the grades Nigerians will let you know in no uncertain manner.

In regard to Messi I personally think that Messi is a very talented player with a totally different playing style to Obi. Generally everyone agrees that Essien and Ronaldinho are world class but could their style be more different? Obi may be less talented than Messi but that does not mean he, Obi, cannot go on to become one of the worlds best players if he works on certain things.

I am one of those who has consistently admitted that Obi still has deficiencies in his game but for people to say Geremi is better (or that Obi is ordinary) is downright wrong. The worlds greatest coaches would never be struggling to get the signature of a mediocre player. Even with our declining fortune Nigeria remains a nation most people fear and thus love to hate. It is this inherent hatred of Nigeria that sometimes lead people to make statements that defy logic and common sense.
etoo_fils
Egg
Egg

Post by etoo_fils »

How much did Messi cost Barcelona compared to 16 million pounds for Obi, for 16 million pounds, we expected more and he hasn't show squat, we are still waiting for him to fulfill his 16 million pound price tag...Messi cost Barcelona barely nothing and he has paid off for Barcelona tremendously...In terms of marketability I may have jumped too quick on that, true Africans aren't as marketable but the report I read had Eto'o behind Messi or in front of him so some Africans are...
Messi is a good player but he is overrated. OVERRATED and like all the Argentine players that were hyped and gradually found their level he will not be another maradona. I may be wrong but I doubt it.

Now Mikel Obi is sheer talent. If he lives up to it he will be a superstar and thats why Chelsea paid 16 million for him. The talent is there for anyone who has watched any of his games. Few players have that precision type football at that age and this is a kid who is only 20 benching the likes of geremi and makelele (granted he is old).

Couple of seasons if he works hard you will see what the hype was about and for the haters who don't see anything good in Nigeria (i.e. all the black stars, IL fans), mega talent once again lands in the green white and green. :lol: :lol:
onye ilo aburo chi mmadu
Killa Adjei
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Killa Adjei »

etoo_fils wrote:
How much did Messi cost Barcelona compared to 16 million pounds for Obi, for 16 million pounds, we expected more and he hasn't show squat, we are still waiting for him to fulfill his 16 million pound price tag...Messi cost Barcelona barely nothing and he has paid off for Barcelona tremendously...In terms of marketability I may have jumped too quick on that, true Africans aren't as marketable but the report I read had Eto'o behind Messi or in front of him so some Africans are...
Messi is a good player but he is overrated. OVERRATED and like all the Argentine players that were hyped and gradually found their level he will not be another maradona. I may be wrong but I doubt it.

Now Mikel Obi is sheer talent. If he lives up to it he will be a superstar and thats why Chelsea paid 16 million for him. The talent is there for anyone who has watched any of his games. Few players have that precision type football at that age and this is a kid who is only 20 benching the likes of geremi and makelele (granted he is old).

Couple of seasons if he works hard you will see what the hype was about and for the haters who don't see anything good in Nigeria (i.e. all the black stars, IL fans), mega talent once again lands in the green white and green. :lol: :lol:
If Messi is overated then what is Obi....Yes he has more talent than Messi, thats why Messi is scoring key goals in Champions League games, for his country, club and all that while Obi is dodging call ups for Nigeria...How much did Messi cost Barcelona and Chelsea went to pay 16 million pounds for sideway passess....Messi is being considered for best player in the world while Obi can't even contest for best on Chelsea's best bench...LOL...:lol:

Keep on shrining him and he will continue dodging calls to play for your country.... :lol:

Cristao II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Cristao II »

Killa Adjei wrote:
etoo_fils wrote:

If Messi is overated then what is Obi....Yes he has more talent than Messi, thats why Messi is scoring key goals in Champions League games, for his country, club and all that while Obi is dodging call ups for Nigeria...How much did Messi cost Barcelona and Chelsea went to pay 16 million pounds for sideway passess....Messi is being considered for best player in the world while Obi can't even contest for best on Chelsea's best bench...LOL...:lol:

Keep on shrining him and he will continue dodging calls to play for your country.... :lol:
I think etoo_fils is camerounian ..
"Will we next create false gods to rule over us? How proud have we become, and how blind."

Primary: Lenovo Y410p: i5-4200M | 2GB Nvidia GT755M | 16GB DDR3L | 1000GB SSD | N2230 | LG24MP76 - Windows 10 64-Bit
Secondary: Dell Inspirion 1545: Core2Duo | 4GB RAM | 320GB 5400RPM - Linux Mint Cinnamon
Tertiary: Lenovo Legion 5 Pro: Ryzen 7 5800H | 32GB DDR4 | 2000GB SSD | 8GB NVidia RTX3070 - Windows 11 Pro
HTC U11+ - Xiaomi Mi8
bonecrusher
Egg
Egg

Post by bonecrusher »

i just dey here di laugh.

so getting more playing time than a time mate means u are better than ur team mate? :shock: :shock:

Which means Mascheroni is worst than all those useless West ham midfielders as he couldnt even manage to appear in more than 2 games right? :shock: :lol: :lol:

then someone said Mikel could dribble better than Geremi when was the last time Mikel even dribbled some one let alone got passed any defender be it by the use of strength, pace etc?

Then someone also said he watched fan zone and "A CHELSEA FAN" stated how solid Mikel was in the midfield. My friend i watched the entire game and Mikel was no monster just gives me more reason not to even venture on that CFCnet forum. anyone who has the balls to says such is completely clueless.

am not going to compare Geremi with Mikel cos i know that Mikel has the potential to surpass Geremi but as of right now he hasnt done so.

see u guys are missing my point all am trying to say is in todays game coaches look on all their players to make an impact on the game some say how would he when he is a holding midfielder but ask urself how do the likes of Pirlo, Alonso do it yes they are already experienced but tell me do u see Mikel doing anything close to what they do. and this is where my comparison with Messi comes in when he started we all knew he would become a great wing player from his performances but can any off u proudly say that Mikel is on par with the Pirlos?

dont only say Mikel is better than Geremi also answer the other point i raised
green4life
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by green4life »

Killa Adjei wrote:
etoo_fils wrote:

My guy, I'm a bit ignorant on barca matters, but i could have sworn that messi was part of barca's youth academy since he was like 13 or so? If that's the case, you are comparing apples (value of a youth player when barca 'bought' him) to oranges (value of Mikel after WYC silver boot + 4 ANC caps including a goal, assist & MOM's). Mikel prior to WYC, ANC etc, was worth 4MP.... after he showed more stuff + manU entering the picture, his value rised to 16MP... and guess what, most Chelsea fans will tell you it's been money well spent. The funny thing is, Mikel is actually shrined more on cfcnet.com than on this forum.
bonecrusher
Egg
Egg

Post by bonecrusher »

i just dey here di laugh.

so getting more playing time than a time mate means u are better than ur team mate? :shock: :shock:

Which means Mascheroni is worst than all those useless West ham midfielders as he couldnt even manage to appear in more than 2 games right? :shock: :lol: :lol:

then someone said Mikel could dribble better than Geremi when was the last time Mikel even dribbled some one let alone got passed any defender be it by the use of strength, pace etc?

someone also said he watched fan zone and "A CHELSEA FAN" stated how solid Mikel was in the midfield. My friend i watched the entire game and Mikel was no monster just gives me more reason not to even venture on that CFCnet forum. anyone who has the balls to says such is completely clueless.

am not going to compare Geremi with Mikel cos i know that Mikel has the potential to surpass Geremi but as of right now he hasnt done so.

see u guys are missing my point all am trying to say is in todays game coaches look on all their players to make an impact on the game some say how would he when he is a holding midfielder but ask urself how do the likes of Pirlo, Alonso do it yes they are already experienced but tell me do u see Mikel doing anything close to what they do. and this is where my comparison with Messi comes in when he started we all knew he would become a great wing player from his performances but can any off u proudly say that Mikel is on par with the Pirlos?

dont only say Mikel is better than Geremi also answer the other points i raised
Player
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Player »

Bonechopper we heard you.

@ Young Lioness Djemba Djemba says hello.
"The house Negro and the field Negro sat at dinner, when the field Negro turned his head, the house Negro put some poison in his food but the field Negro saw him do it and when the house Negro turned his head, the field Negro "turned the tray around."
bonecrusher
Egg
Egg

Post by bonecrusher »

Mudi E wrote:My thing about Mikel is that Mourinho should let him initiate Chelsea's attack and give him the free will to do so. He seemed hamstrung sometimes as if he lacks confidence to go forward to join the attack. He can do great things as exemplified by his great incisive passing to Wright Philips or Joe Cole.

Mourinho should let Obi play with his natural instinct and that will build his confidence. Only great things can come from him if this happens.
I believe u might be the only one getting my arguement this kid is being hindered from proving who he really is his talents and potentials are not being fully exploited and what happens when u dont use it? u loose it.

Mikel could loose all the potentials in him and be reduced to an average player cos "someone'' doesnt want stars in his team.

The potentials in the kid is what SAF was going for cos he knew he could help the kid get the best out of the kid. But he chose chelsea and would have to live by that decision
maceo4
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by maceo4 »

bonecrusher wrote:i just dey here di laugh.

someone also said he watched fan zone and "A CHELSEA FAN" stated how solid Mikel was in the midfield. My friend i watched the entire game and Mikel was no monster just gives me more reason not to even venture on that CFCnet forum. anyone who has the balls to says such is completely clueless.

Deaf dumb or blind...pick one? You can't even read a simple comment properly. I said the fan said Mikel came on in leaps and bounds in the second half of last season and was a beast. Jezzzz u guys are thick, at least read properly before you start responding.
Super Eagus 4 Life!
Made in the image of God that's a selfie!
bonecrusher
Egg
Egg

Post by bonecrusher »

maceo4 wrote:
bonecrusher wrote:i just dey here di laugh.

Deaf dumb or blind...pick one? You can't even read a simple comment properly. I said the fan said Mikel came on in leaps and bounds in the second half of last season and was a beast. Jezzzz u guys are thick, at least read properly before you start responding.
Ok sar! but still doesnt change the fact that its a chelsea fan or is it not i watched chelsea CL games and league games and dont share the same views

however am done arguing season starts in a couple of days lets see how much Mikel is going to improve and when he flops again which am not praying for but conditions showing he would i would be back and this time i would be all over ur face so pray my friend pray he improves or lives up to the hype
blueangel
Egg
Egg

Post by blueangel »

Baggy wrote:
marko wrote:one or 2 nice touches, the boy is no doubt a very good player, people should give him a break

I think it is high time we wake up and smell the coffee about this youngster.

As far as i am concerned he is no player that can and turn a game around.
To me he looks like an ordinary English player who just passes the ball around as soon as he gets it.

I have not seen what i saw during the YWC since he arrived in England or in Naija jersey.

Too much noise as been made about him.

SE will not miss him even if he is not called back into the team.

The bobo should go and take a look at the player he was a runners up to in the YWC (Messi).
The bobo is improving everyday plus you look forward to see him play. He is a player you look for his name on a team list but not Obi.

Until he grows or shows me that he can be a world class player, I am not going to be paying much attention to him.

He is nothing like nice looking woman or sisi (young lady) that will make you turn your head around to shadow her again on the street.

Best Assessment on John Mikel Obi.

I am shocked some fellow members talk of One or Two Touches or Passes in a game.

How does that translate to anything or relevant to anything.

Any player on any team on any level WILL MAKE ONE OR TWO GOOD PASSES OR TOUCHES IN A 90 MIn GaME.
blueangel
Egg
Egg

Post by blueangel »

Baggy wrote:
marko wrote:one or 2 nice touches, the boy is no doubt a very good player, people should give him a break

I think it is high time we wake up and smell the coffee about this youngster.

As far as i am concerned he is no player that can and turn a game around.
To me he looks like an ordinary English player who just passes the ball around as soon as he gets it.

I have not seen what i saw during the YWC since he arrived in England or in Naija jersey.

Too much noise as been made about him.

SE will not miss him even if he is not called back into the team.

The bobo should go and take a look at the player he was a runners up to in the YWC (Messi).
The bobo is improving everyday plus you look forward to see him play. He is a player you look for his name on a team list but not Obi.

Until he grows or shows me that he can be a world class player, I am not going to be paying much attention to him.

He is nothing like nice looking woman or sisi (young lady) that will make you turn your head around to shadow her again on the street.

Best Assessment on John Mikel Obi.

I am shocked some fellow members talk of One or Two Touches or Passes in a game.

How does that translate to anything or relevant to anything.

Any player on any team on any level WILL MAKE ONE OR TWO GOOD PASSES OR TOUCHES IN A 90 MIn GaME.
kolinzo
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by kolinzo »

Mudi E wrote:My thing about Mikel is that Mourinho should let him initiate Chelsea's attack and give him the free will to do so. He seemed hamstrung sometimes as if he lacks confidence to go forward to join the attack. He can do great things as exemplified by his great incisive passing to Wright Philips or Joe Cole.

:lol: :lol: :lol: I swia I dey laff yansh tayad!!! So you are indirectly hoping Mourinho is fired?? O gawd, why would any sane coach do what you are asking? If Obi plays to his natural instinct that means Chelsea should be fighting for a UEFA spot!
DAK TO THE FUTURE...HOT BOYZ...DEM BOYZ...COWBOYZ!!

To be scientifically literate is to empower yourself to know when someone else is full of boolsheet!

Scientifically speaking: ANC Trophies = 3/4 when Br^33 = 0.
***Breda = Br****