Were the World Cup taking place today, this would be d team

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Ayo Akinfe
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle
Were the World Cup taking place today, this would be d team

Post by Ayo Akinfe »

Before I go into the details of this thread, can I first of all please point out that the whole of Nigeria is waiting to hear from Augustine "Jay Jay" Okocha about what is going through his mind at the moment. I for one am at a loss as to whether he is still interested in playing for Nigeria or not.

It maybe a case of him having decided he has had enough of the Eagles or it may be that he wants the team handlers to drop him, knowing that if he asks them to, his offer will be refused. When we hear from him, I will return to the subject and we will discuss it in full detail.

Fir now, let us give him the benefit of the doubt. My main beef with him is that he is the captain of the team and although this kind of behaviour can be tolerated from other members of the squad, they cannot from him. He is supposed to set a good example to the younger players and be the motivating influence on them.

In all fairness to JJ, his recent behaviour is really out of character. I have not heard of any reports of him behaving this way in the past.

Back to the Eagles, were the World Cup taking place alongside Euro 2004 and I be asked to pick the squad, this would be my team. Bear in mind, this assumes that everyone is fit and healthy and there are no injury worries.

Goalkeepers
(1) Vincent Enyeama
(2) Rotimi Sunday
(3) Greg Etafia

Defenders
(4) George Abbey
(5) Bob Usim
(6) Ifeanyi Udeze
(7) Gabriel Melkham
(8) Joseph Yobo
(9) Seyi Olajengbesi
(10) Joseph Enakharhire
(11) Isaac Okoronkwo

Midfielders
(12) Seyi Olofinjana
(13) Chris Obodo
(14) Paul Obiefule
(15) Austin Okocha
(16) Ifeanyi Ekwueme
(17) Wilson Oruma
(18) Osaze Odemigwe

Strikers
(19) Obafemi Martins
(20) John Utaka
(21) Julius Aghahowa
(22) Ayo Makinwa
(23) Bartholomew Ogbeche/Yakubu Aiyegbeni

Obviously, things will change by the time the World Cup kicks off and certain players will emerge and others will lose form. There is also the issue of who is willing to play but for the time being, I am assuming that everyone I have listed is interested in playing for the Eagles.
Talk IT
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Talk IT »

I think most people will agree with this list.
The cream always come to the top. But Makinwa can never replace YAK haba. Makinwa should be fighting with Ogbeche or someone else.
Last edited by Talk IT on Fri Jun 18, 2004 11:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If there were no God, I would not be alive.
And if God is not good, I would have been dead.
waka-man
Egg
Egg

Post by waka-man »

Can't see any faults in that apart from the fact that I don't know Makinwa and so I would take both Ogbeche and Yak.

All in all, a very complete, and potentially exciting list.
-------------------------------------------
MY NAME IS WAKA-MAN, and YES, I AM A CHELSEA FAN. Please don't hate me - I was fan when David Ellery dashed Cantona two penalties as Man U beat us 4-0 in the FA Cup final. So I've paid my dues.
waka-man
Egg
Egg

Post by waka-man »

Oh, and I'd have Lawal in there, just for his staediness and experience, even though he doesn't have the legs any more. Could be useful in closing out games late in the 2nd half.
MY NAME IS WAKA-MAN, and YES, I AM A CHELSEA FAN. Please don't hate me - I was fan when David Ellery dashed Cantona two penalties as Man U beat us 4-0 in the FA Cup final. So I've paid my dues.
Ayo Akinfe
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Ayo Akinfe »

Trust me on Makinwa guys. He is absolutely vital. He ids the only natural target man Nigeria has.

When the going gets rough, you need a big Vieri-like figure up there to lump it up to. We saw the Netherlands do it with Pierre Van Hoidjonk against Germany and it worked for them.

None of the other strikers can play this role. They may be the best in certain other areas but none of them can perform that targetman role, which is an absolute neccesity. You may not need it for every game but sometimes, it is a feature that may have to be introduced in a match.

It would be utter folly of Nigeria not to use such a weapoin if it has it in its arsenal. It would be even more stupid to go to battle and leave such a weapon at home.

Ogbeche and Aiyegbeni are in good form at the moment but I see nothing that they bring to the table that is so unique no other cannot do it. With Makinwa, there are a lot of things which he is the only we have to do them.
YUJAM
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by YUJAM »

Ayo:
We've told you about Makinwa but you refuse to listen. The guy is not that good yet.

Also, you list Osaze in midfield when he should really be a forward. I hope that by WC time, Nigeria can uncover a speedy and talented winger on the left, and perhaps a good right back to give Abbey a challenge on the right of defense..
Ghana's First President Kwame Nkrumah said: "We face neither East nor West; we face Forward"
MYMIND
Egg
Egg

Post by MYMIND »

Ayo Akinfe wrote:Trust me on Makinwa guys. He is absolutely vital. He ids the only natural target man Nigeria has.

When the going gets rough, you need a big Vieri-like figure up there to lump it up to. We saw the Netherlands do it with Pierre Van Hoidjonk against Germany and it worked for them.

None of the other strikers can play this role. They may be the best in certain other areas but none of them can perform that targetman role, which is an absolute neccesity. You may not need it for every game but sometimes, it is a feature that may have to be introduced in a match.

It would be utter folly of Nigeria not to use such a weapoin if it has it in its arsenal. It would be even more stupid to go to battle and leave such a weapon at home.

Ogbeche and Aiyegbeni are in good form at the moment but I see nothing that they bring to the table that is so unique no other cannot do it. With Makinwa, there are a lot of things which he is the only we have to do them.
Makinwa has not played for the Eagles yet while mOgebeche and Yak have and produced at times. You can't right them off for someone that appears to have potential only.
Ayo Akinfe
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Ayo Akinfe »

YUJAM wrote:Ayo:
We've told you about Makinwa but you refuse to listen. The guy is not that good yet.

Also, you list Osaze in midfield when he should really be a forward. I hope that by WC time, Nigeria can uncover a speedy and talented winger on the left, and perhaps a good right back to give Abbey a challenge on the right of defense..
Osaze is a playmaker Yujam! Watch what happens to him when he moves club. Do not be surprised to see him performing a Kaka role when the 2004/05 season starts.

Bob Usim is a better right back than Abbey in my opinion. As per Makinwa, please read my latest response.
lagos777
Egg
Egg

Post by lagos777 »

Mark my words . YAK , Aly and Wahab are going to Germany '06.
YAK has been constantly improving his game over the years.
I remember the guy we used to get migraines watching because he couldn't make a run to save his life.
We then saw a guy that started making all sorts of runs at Pompey this year, getting into all sorts of scoring positions and missing loads of chances.
Towards the end of the season he actually started scoring. If YAK scores a quater of the chances he gets with his powerful runs , we are talking 20 goals.

Regarding Aly, he's a no brainer. By 2006 , he will be our best striker , save for martins. The boy is faster and more skillful than Martins. He's getting stronger by the day. AND , he's an excellent finisher already , actually scored tons more than Martins. Check out the Inter primevera website and see how they described their 5 strikers . One guy stands out. Rooney is still 18 or so. So is Aly. All the boy needs is expo. If we don't give him , we will regret it.

Wahab is also a no brainer. He will actually play more games for Roma next season , then ya'al will start drooling. :roll: . No matter how you cut , the kinda training this guy is getting in Roma , you no fit buy for Aba. All these strikers and AM masquarading as DM's in the SE will be shown up.
Last edited by lagos777 on Sat Jun 19, 2004 12:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mike Ditka quote :
"I didn't say it in those general terms but I said it like that".
Ayo Akinfe
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Ayo Akinfe »

My Mind, on the basis of your argument, Oruambe Oniorode, Francis Kumbur and Enoch Showunmi should also be in the team because they have played for the Eagles before.

Or let me put it another way. The likes of Martins and Obiefule should not have been played in the Unity Cup because they have not played for the Eagles before.

Had Efan Ekoku ever played for Nigeria before 1994? No

Westyerhoff took him to Tunisia where he only played for about 20 minutres and then to the World Cup ahead of players that "have played for Nigeria before."
Talk IT
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Talk IT »

Trust me on Makinwa guys. He is absolutely vital. He ids the only natural target man Nigeria has.
The hype has started again. Now has he proven he is a target man how much more the only one the eagles have? YAK is also a target man and thats how he is use in his club. Let Makinwa prove himself in the green or in club first before the hype.
If there were no God, I would not be alive.
And if God is not good, I would have been dead.
MI5
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by MI5 »

Ayo Akinfe,

This is where the problem is. We are getting to a stage now where we have a good selection players but we do not have a team. Nothing against the players you listed but i doubt if they will be ready. We are going a the same nonsense we went through with the Olympics qualifiers where close to 70+ players were used.

The players we have now are just based on names and to me still don't have a understanding of themselves yet.
Soldier of Fortune...
Ayo Akinfe
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Ayo Akinfe »

Can I just add that a lot of quality players have also been left out. They include:

Michael Nnanji
Yakubu Adamu
Muyiwa Lawal
Justice Christoher
Wahab Haruna
Tosin Dosunmu

I see at least one of these guys having a storming 2004/05 season, which should make selection very difficult. I just hope we have a strong coach in place because as we all know with our experience of Tunisia 2004, under the curremt dispensation, merit is not the main criteria for selection.
PC
Egg
Egg

Post by PC »

YUJAM wrote:and perhaps a good right back to give Abbey a challenge on the right of defense..
WORD!

It's one thing to pick a squad but what is more worthy of discussion is to determine how well it would fare under tournament conditions. Other than Okocha, Yobo, Aghahowa, and Okoronkwo there's not much in the way of experience there. The midfield lacks genuine wide players (Ikedia?) and one only hopes a decent talent (re)emerges to play on the left (Opabunmi, Wahab?).

If the World Cup was taking place today, as the title thread implies, this team may not get past the second round.
Ayo Akinfe
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Ayo Akinfe »

PC wrote:
YUJAM wrote:and perhaps a good right back to give Abbey a challenge on the right of defense..
WORD!

It's one thing to pick a squad but what is more worthy of discussion is to determine how well it would fare under tournament conditions. Other than Okocha, Yobo, Aghahowa, and Okoronkwo there's not much in the way of experience there. The midfield lacks genuine wide players (Ikedia?) and one only hopes a decent talent (re)emerges to play on the left (Opabunmi, Wahab?).

If the World Cup was taking place today, as the title thread implies, this team may not get past the second round.
How many teams are playing with so-called wide players in Euro 2004? Wingers is an outdated concept!!!!!!! Phew!

You want to bring Odegbami and Adokie back? Do you really want the defensive liability Ikedia in the team?

As poer expoerience, let me see. Wayne Rooney has no business in the England team at the moment. There are a lot of dinosaurs on this site man!
waka-man
Egg
Egg

Post by waka-man »

Ayo, genuine wide players are still valid.

For one thing, please do not use what we are seeing in Euro 2004 as an example of good football, cause its been dead poor. Only France, Spain and Sweeden have put together a good half of football so far, and both Spain and France followed that up with absoluute tosh. I mean when Greece and a transisitional Croat team start looking good, you know a tournament is weak.

Of those three teams, all play with at lease one wide man at any given time. I have a theory that France will struggle because they've had the luxury of Thuram and Lizarazu for so long, they've stopped playing wiht wide players. Now those guys are past their best, they can't get width and everyone is just gonna pack the middle and invite the French to break em down. That is why Pires was brough in the second half yesterday, but Pires in big games is another story altogether.

Spain actually have the complete game, but Raul is misfiring and they are Spanish afterall.

I think in the next 2 years we will see the following becoming even more common:

1 striker who can either make things happen on his own (Martins) on holds the ball up (Vieri)
2 DM's at all times
2 wingers, real wingers who have less defensive resposnibilities, and quickly change the game to 4-3-3 by joining up in the attack.
In reaction the above, full backs with primary defensive responsibilities as more attacks come from the wide areas
The final position going to a play maker who looks more at opportunities out wide where there are more opportnunites to get behind the back four. I mean, if you watch Euro 2004, you realise how teams are often just impenetrable in the middle.

So while I agree with you that we are seeing less wingers with full back now doing a lot more attacking, we can already see the first signs that wide attacking players are coming back into vogue to take advantage of the space behind full backs. The key thing is that they must be able to score. Italy, Spain, Sweeden, Portugal and Holland are all doing this and I personally think one of those four teams will win this tournament, which is still anyone's game.
Gotti

Post by Gotti »

Ayo Akinfe wrote:Can I just add that a lot of quality players have also been left out. They include:

Michael Nnanji
Yakubu Adamu
Muyiwa Lawal
Justice Christoher
Wahab Haruna
Tosin Dosunmu

I see at least one of these guys having a storming 2004/05 season, which should make selection very difficult. I just hope we have a strong coach in place because as we all know with our experience of Tunisia 2004, under the curremt dispensation, merit is not the main criteria for selection.
Where's Uche Kalu?!
wanaj0
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by wanaj0 »

Ayo, there is no way Garba Lawal will not be in teh team if the WC is holding today. He is one player that you can be sure will report to camp at the right time. The right does the right things, at the right time, in the right place. So, he should be the first player on the list. No one is competing with him. In terms of hard work, committment, no one rivals the guy! He must be on the list for your list to be taken seriously.

Commot JJ from teh List because if the WC is taken place today, he will not be there due to his vacation/HOLIDAY!
“We do not have natural disasters in Nigeria, the only disaster we have is human beings,”
Waffiman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Waffiman »

Ayo, two critical Ommissions. Uche Kalu and Wahab. They are potential top quality. With our new crop of talent we can win the WC in Germany.
Arsène Wenger at Arsenal, 1996 to 2018. I was there.
PC
Egg
Egg

Post by PC »

I have time on my hands this afternoon. Let me dissect your comments.
How many teams are playing with so-called wide players in Euro 2004? Wingers is an outdated concept!!!!!!! Phew!
Did you not see Spain vs. Greece? Well, a young man named Joaquin Sanchez came on at half-time for Josep Exteberria and tormented the Greek defenders with no little skill, guile and pace along the RIGHT-WING. And just for the record, he and Exteberria played in wide positions. Vincente Rodriguez, again of Spain, plays wide on the left. Marc Overmars (of Holland) would be another example. I could give further examples featuring the Czech Rep. and Italy but I think you get the idea now. If not, just keep reminding yourself that d#$% Advocaat, Inaki Saez and Giovanni Trappatoni are outdated.
You want to bring Odegbami and Adokie back? Do you really want the defensive liability Ikedia in the team?
IMO, Ikedia is ideally the type of player to bring on when chasing a game in the second-half. You know, around the time when it's best to throw caution to the wind, find a goal, and let go of fanciful 3-5-2 formations.
As poer expoerience, let me see. Wayne Rooney has no business in the England team at the moment. There are a lot of dinosaurs on this site man!
This is approaching jibberish. Allow me to elucidate on my earlier point. Your Nigerian squad lacks experience since there are players who barely have a handful of caps between themselves. Furthermore, your preferred line-up has never once featured for Nigeria, and consequently lack experience together (i.e. playing time). I can't imagine how Wayne Rooney counters anything I wrote.
Ayo Akinfe
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Ayo Akinfe »

wanaj0 wrote:Ayo, there is no way Garba Lawal will not be in teh team if the WC is holding today. He is one player that you can be sure will report to camp at the right time. The right does the right things, at the right time, in the right place. So, he should be the first player on the list. No one is competing with him. In terms of hard work, committment, no one rivals the guy! He must be on the list for your list to be taken seriously.

Commot JJ from teh List because if the WC is taken place today, he will not be there due to his vacation/HOLIDAY!
I am a big fan of Garba and see his dedication as exemplary but alas, the man's legs have gone. In the Unity Cup, he was the weak link in the team and the Irish got behind him for fun.

It is only because he is such a good example of professionalism that I for one cannot bear to criticise him. No other player can play that badly and not torn to shreds on this forum.

We all love Garba but sadly, he is a shadow of his former self. I would take him along to the World Cup as a member of the technical crew.

Gotti, Uche Kalu is a good player but the jury is still out on him. I believe 22004/05 will be a make or break season for him.
YUJAM
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by YUJAM »

PC:
Spot on.

Wingers are not an outdated as Ayo posits above. They might not be as necessary as they were b4 but they can be very effective on the flanks. A speedster and good crosser of the ball, ala Finidi George, would not hurt the team one bit!

PC wrote:I have time on my hands this afternoon. Let me dissect your comments.
Did you not see Spain vs. Greece? Well, a young man named Joaquin Sanchez came on at half-time for Josep Exteberria and tormented the Greek defenders with no little skill, guile and pace along the RIGHT-WING. And just for the record, he and Exteberria played in wide positions. Vincente Rodriguez, again of Spain, plays wide on the left. Marc Overmars (of Holland) would be another example. I could give further examples featuring the Czech Rep. and Italy but I think you get the idea now. If not, just keep reminding yourself that d#$% Advocaat, Inaki Saez and Giovanni Trappatoni are outdated.
IMO, Ikedia is ideally the type of player to bring on when chasing a game in the second-half. You know, around the time when it's best to throw caution to the wind, find a goal, and let go of fanciful 3-5-2 formations.
This is approaching jibberish. Allow me to elucidate on my earlier point. Your Nigerian squad lacks experience since there are players who barely have a handful of caps between themselves. Furthermore, your preferred line-up has never once featured for Nigeria, and consequently lack experience together (i.e. playing time). I can't imagine how Wayne Rooney counters anything I wrote.
Gotti

Post by Gotti »

Ayo Akinfe wrote:Gotti, Uche Kalu is a good player but the jury is still out on him. I believe 22004/05 will be a make or break season for him.
AYO:
You could say the same thing about every player on that list. In fact, the likes of Muyiwa Lawal and Michael Nnaji have an even much longer way to proceed. Nnaji has yet to establish a starting position at Lierse and Muyiwa has been regularly injured. And neither has Kalu's rather extensive UEFA Cup experiences.