JJ is now where Keshi was in 1992

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Ayo Akinfe
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle
JJ is now where Keshi was in 1992

Post by Ayo Akinfe »

I do not know how many of you remember the 1992 ANC when Keshi was approaching the end if his career. Good old Westerhoff realised this and in the third place match at the tournament, Keshi did not play in the 2-1 win over Cameroon.

By 1994, Uche Okafor Uche Okechukwu had established themselves as Westerhoff's favoured central defensive pairing. However, because Okafor was suspect, Chidi Nwanu was brought in for the World Cup.

Many Nigerian fans found it hard to stomach the dropping of Keshi but the simple fact of the matter is that no one is an everlasting star. Sadly, Chukwu fails to realise this and we all kow that he will play the likes of Okocha, Kanu and Okoronkwo, irrespective of whatever form they are in, no matter how old they are, even if there are better alternatives available to him.

JJ is nowe in the twilight of his career and I am sure we wil all agree that there is no way he can continue playing international football beyond the 2006 World Cup. I would say the same for Okoronkwo, whereas Kanu was over the hill very shortly after 1996.

I hope our new coach will have the guts to bench JJ and use him as a bit part player. The big question is who takes over from him as playmaker? For now, it loks as if the choice is between Osaze Odemigwe, Uche Kalu and Paul Obiefule.

Also, if JJ is a bit part player, who captains the team? No natural leader has appeard on the horizon for me.
PapaK
Egg
Egg

Post by PapaK »

Ayoakinfe:
you may soon lose your position on the Shriners-Galacticos teams. I'm lining up Robbynice, Babs as your replacement. You have reached your peak and should now remain a bit part player.
Never enter into a quarrel with an id!ot, lest he drag you down to his level and then beat you up with experience.
Ayo Akinfe
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Ayo Akinfe »

PapaK wrote:Ayoakinfe:
you may soon lose your position on the Shriners-Galacticos teams. I'm lining up Robbynice, Babs as your replacement. You have reached your peak and should now remain a bit part player.
Nothing lasts forever. Even I will be over the hill one day.
mblack76
Egg
Egg

Post by mblack76 »

Ayo Akinfe wrote:
Thats the fun part and the part you dont get. You were over the hill long time ago. LOL
“I can play with people’s emotions when I want to make an impact. It’s one way to get the best out of people.” Jose Mourinho (March 08, 2005)
"Again Mblack, I have no beef with you as I actually respect you a lot." SAwosika (May 14, 2005)
quickie
Egg
Egg
Re: JJ is now where Keshi was in 1992

Post by quickie »

Ayo Akinfe wrote: JJ is now in the twilight of his career and I am sure we wil all agree that there is no way he can continue playing international football beyond the 2006 World Cup. I would say the same for Okoronkwo, whereas Kanu was over the hill very shortly after 1996.

Ice-cold wickedness at its very best :lol: :lol: :lol:

Q
Ayo Akinfe
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Ayo Akinfe »

mkizito76 wrote:
Ayo Akinfe wrote:
Thats the fun part and the part you dont get. You were over the hill long time ago. LOL
...and you Mr pre-historic Mkizito, do you know how expired you and your ideas are? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
PapaK
Egg
Egg

Post by PapaK »

OK, seriously, no one not even Okocha himself expects Oga to stay beyond WC 2006. The man will retire on a high. After the WC 2006, he will play one last match (his testimonial). Oga will never be a part player in the SE team.
Never enter into a quarrel with an id!ot, lest he drag you down to his level and then beat you up with experience.
mblack76
Egg
Egg

Post by mblack76 »

Ayo Akinfe wrote:
mkizito76 wrote:
Ayo Akinfe wrote:
...and you Mr pre-historic Mkizito, do you know how expired you and your ideas are? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
:D :D
“I can play with people’s emotions when I want to make an impact. It’s one way to get the best out of people.” Jose Mourinho (March 08, 2005)
"Again Mblack, I have no beef with you as I actually respect you a lot." SAwosika (May 14, 2005)
Ayo Akinfe
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Ayo Akinfe »

PapaK wrote:OK, seriously, no one not even Okocha himself expects Oga to stay beyond WC 2006. The man will retire on a high. After the WC 2006, he will play one last match (his testimonial). Oga will never be a part player in the SE team.
Why not? Keshi had a higher European profile than him and he was a bit-part player towards the end of his career!
PapaK
Egg
Egg

Post by PapaK »

Oga is the greatest Naija player of all time. His likes were never bit part players for their countries. Players like Maradona, George Hagi, Cryuff, Eusebio, etc.
Its a Goal
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Its a Goal »

All well and dandy, Ayo, now apologize to Okocha. When Okocha kept hinting that his legs are no longer capable of playing for Nigeria all time, you went berserk and called him all sorts of names, including labelling him as the worst captain ever.
2 of the finest indigenous coaches Nigeria ever had lost in a space of 4 days. Dear Lord, is this a sign that you are taking away from us what we failed to appreciate? I pray for forgiveness of our sins. I pray for the humility to recognize our wrongs and the humbleness and wisdom to right our ways.

REST IN PEACE COACH STEPHEN KESHI!!! REST IN PEACE COACH AMODU SHAIBU!!!
Ayo Akinfe
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Ayo Akinfe »

Its a Goal wrote:All well and dandy, Ayo, now apologize to Okocha. When Okocha kept hinting that his legs are no longer capable of playing for Nigeria all time, you went berserk and called him all sorts of names, including labelling him as the worst captain ever.
Stop trying to be clever by half Mr Man. In 2000, Amokachi was captain. He was not fit to play in the ANC but he was in camp and sought to motivate the boys.

He was always on the bench cheering the lads on and motivating the younger ones. JJ irresponsibly just wakes up one day and decides he does not want to play this or that game and arrogantly ignores all attemnpts to contact him.

What he should do is report to camp, train with the boys, motivate them and then if he is given leave not to play, he should sit on the bench with them, helping the technical crew pass out instructions. I remember during a 1994 World Cup qualifier when Peter Ndlovu was injured with a broken leg.

His leg was in plaster but he still flew all the way to Harare to be with the team and was the cheer leader as they sang songs on the way to the ground in the bus. He led the singing in Shona and the rest5 of the team responded with the chorus.

That is the kind of leadership I expected from JJ. If he can't offer it, he has to hand the captains' armband over to someone who can. JJ now thinks he is doing Nigeria a favour by playing. Bloody arrogance!!!
Its a Goal
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Its a Goal »

Do you read what you write sometimes? What do you expect the situation to be like if JJ reports to camp uninjured, trains with the team and sits on the bench cheering the team on? First off it will never happen cos CCC will shiver in his pants and dump whatever pride he has left in him to beg JJ to play. Secondly, the rumour that will fly out of camp and around the internet, especially on CE, that JJ refused to play will not only cause disharmony in the team, but will reflect negatively on him. People like you will be the first to point out that he should have stayed his butt at home instead of acting like a big shot where baboon dey work monkey dey chop.

Please, you are the one who owes Okocha an apology.

On a side note, there have been many times Okocha had being injured but still report to camp to motivate his colleagues on.
2 of the finest indigenous coaches Nigeria ever had lost in a space of 4 days. Dear Lord, is this a sign that you are taking away from us what we failed to appreciate? I pray for forgiveness of our sins. I pray for the humility to recognize our wrongs and the humbleness and wisdom to right our ways.

REST IN PEACE COACH STEPHEN KESHI!!! REST IN PEACE COACH AMODU SHAIBU!!!
Ayo Akinfe
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Ayo Akinfe »

PapaK wrote:Oga is the greatest Naija player of all time. His likes were never bit part players for their countries. Players like Maradona, George Hagi, Cryuff, Eusebio, etc.
Stop talking rubbish. Did you not see Roger Milla play a bit part in Cameroon's 1990 World Cup? Even Figo is a bit part player in Portugal these days.

Nobody should be above dropping or substitution!
Ayo Akinfe
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Ayo Akinfe »

Its a Goal wrote:Do you read what you write sometimes? What do you expect the situation to be like if JJ reports to camp uninjured, trains with the team and sits on the bench cheering the team on? First off it will never happen cos CCC will shiver in his pants and dump whatever pride he has left in him to beg JJ to play. Secondly, the rumour that will fly out of camp and around the internet, especially on CE, that JJ refused to play will not only cause disharmony in the team, but will reflect negatively on him. People like you will be the first to point out that he should have stayed his butt at home instead of acting like a big shot where baboon dey work monkey dey chop.

Please, you are the one who owes Okocha an apology.

On a side note, there have been many times Okocha had being injured but still report to camp to motivate his colleagues on.
Now I know you have been smoking pot. Where is it written in the NFA's constitution that JJ must play every game?

Has JJ never sat on the Eagles bench before? Do you want me to recall instances for you ?
Chief Ogbunigwe
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Chief Ogbunigwe »

PapaK wrote:Oga is the greatest Naija player of all time. His likes were never bit part players for their countries. Players like Maradona, George Hagi, Cryuff, Eusebio, etc.
Papak:

pass the gbana pon the left hand side
AFCON 2019 sweet o
Barren for 37 yrs no good o

New member and Titled Chief, Distant Gunners Consortium.
"This is an island surrounded by water, big water, ocean water."
PapaK
Egg
Egg

Post by PapaK »

Ayo Akinfe wrote:
Stop talking rubbish. Did you not see Roger Milla play a bit part in Cameroon's 1990 World Cup? Even Figo is a bit part player in Portugal these days.

Please stop writing like a UBA member. Write some sense. Pa Milla was playing at 38 and 42. Oga is just 31 years old. Give me example of great players like Zidane and co that are comparable to Okocha that you know of who ever played bit part roles. Oga is scheduled to retire on a high at age of 33. That's how all great players bow out.
airwolex
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by airwolex »

One day we will tell our Children that we had the priviledge to watch Okocha in his prime. They showed dome clips on soccer AM yesterday and this man is indeed the most gifted African player ever.
Ayo Akinfe
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Ayo Akinfe »

PapaK wrote:
Ayo Akinfe wrote:

Please stop writing like a UBA member. Write some sense. Pa Milla was playing at 38 and 42. Oga is just 31 years old. Give me example of great players like Zidane and co that are comparable to Okocha that you know of who ever played bit part roles. Oga is scheduled to retire on a high at age of 33. That's how all great players bow out.
In 1992, Gary Linekar was actually substituted in his last game for England aged 30
In Euro 2004, Figo, Rui Costa and Cuoto were all bit part players
In case you did not know, in 1994, Maradona was also a bit part player. He was substituted during their fiurst game against Greece towards the end of the game

Those that do not get substituted are only left on because the coach does not have the bottle to do it. No player should be above substitution!
PapaK
Egg
Egg

Post by PapaK »

Ayo Akinfe wrote:
PapaK wrote:
Ayo Akinfe wrote:

In 1992, Gary Linekar was actually substituted in his last game for England aged 30
In Euro 2004, Figo, Rui Costa and Cuoto were all bit part players
In case you did not know, in 1994, Maradona was also a bit part player. He was substituted during their fiurst game against Greece towards the end of the game

Those that do not get substituted are only left on because the coach does not have the bottle to do it. No player should be above substitution!
in that case, we are looking at the phrase 'bit part player' from two different directions. You see them as starters that later get substituted, while I see them as players that sit on the bench and come on at later stages of the match to change the course of the game with their experience. Okocha like any great player may be substituted, but he should never sit on the bench for any Naija player (unless he's serving suspension). If we can no longer accomodate him in the starting 11 then he should graciously retire.
theDunamis
Egg
Egg

Post by theDunamis »

PapaK, how u can allow this sort of insurbodination within the Shriners Galacticos I really don't understand. This is sabotage by Ayo, see as him just dey equip the UBA with ammunition. Otuoma's avatar wud not stand for this kind of dissident behaviour o. :idea:
theDunamis is signed, sealed, DELIVERED!
Ayo Akinfe
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Ayo Akinfe »

Papa K, you get TV at all??????

How many games did Rui Costa, Fernando Cuoto, Marcel Dessaily, Christian Vieri, Ronald de Boer, Patrick Kliuvert and Marc Overmaars start in Euro 2004?
Ayo Akinfe
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Ayo Akinfe »

Papa K, you get TV at all??????

How many games did Rui Costa, Fernando Cuoto, Marcel Dessaily, Christian Vieri, Ronald de Boer, Patrick Kliuvert and Marc Overmaars start in Euro 2004?