Rangers/Shooting/NFA conspiracy against Bendel Insurance?

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

YemiBrazil
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: Rangers/Shooting/NFA conspiracy against Bendel Insurance?

Post by YemiBrazil »

megapro wrote:
Waffiman wrote:
oloye wrote:Sometimes i read this old thread and i am reminded why CE became an addiction
True! I still disagree with about Ekeji and Adiele. :winking: :winking: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
dejavu.

pls who can elaborate on the IICC-Rangers conflict that resulted in the league being truncated in 1983 and the title awarded to IICC?.
The league was not truncated in 1983. IICC won clearly & finished the league in grand style with a series of 3-0 victories. Maybe you refer to 1982 when Rangers scored a controversial goal at the Liberty Stadium - the referee awarded the goal but IICC protested vehemently and when the ball was placed in the center-circle Segun Odegbami stepped up and kicked the ball into the covered seat where the then NFA gen-sec (Buba Ahmed?) was seated! Segun Odegbami was subsequently banned indefinitely and missed out of IICC's successful campaign under Niyi Akande in 1983 but rejoined the team in 1984 for African Cup of Champions.

* Segun played tennis with my dad when he was serving his ban in 1983!
*** Every child is A STAR! ***

Only Mister Johnson https://www.amazon.com/Only-Mister-Johnson-Okey-Chigbo/dp/B09DMW3RM9
----------------------------------------------------------------
"A revolution in a personal context, is a turn around of a predominant way of thinking or doing things TO BETTER YOURSELF and effectively BETTER YOUR NATION!!!"
* Progressive Federalism * Personal Revolution * Industrialization *
oloye
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: Re:

Post by oloye »

Next wrote:
oloye wrote:
megapro wrote:I do not think his argument is just based on the FA cup run of 1978.
What is apparent is that as at the nations cup 1980, Insurance were by far the best team in the country. They had won the national league in 1979 where they needed a point against Water coporation in the final league match in Ibadan of all places. (Ogboe had been shot in that city.)
One would have expected the champion bonus teams like leventis bennefited when they won thier titles regarding invitations and caps.
But it seems no one was ready to confront the 2 established blocks of nigerian soccer then.
gloria capped guys like Edoseghe, Ogu and Egharevba but for whatever reasons, he never took them to tournaments.
Who will you drop for Edosoghe, Ogu, and Egharevba, in that Eagles squad. That is the point. Will you drop Big Sege for Ogu, mind you in my books Ogu was also a fantastic player, but like i said somewhere, some players came at the wrong time. Will you drop Adokiye or Owoblow for Egharevba(sic) or who in the defence will you drop for Amos Edoseghe. Remeber we had the following playing in the defence then, Adiele, who dethroned Ekeji from the right back, Okey Isima on the left, where Owoblow often features as well before he was moved upfront., CCC, Tunde Bamidele, Johny Orlando(who ironically is a Ghanian), Kadiri Ikhana , who was from the glorious Insurance team, i believe Adiele and Ikhana were from that team, that puts to rest the conspiracy theory.

Even Kadiri had to play in the midfield, such was the abundance of talents back then . Ofcourse there were players like Franklin Howard a much better player than Keshi back then (a victim of knee injury) all in the waiting. It was Howard's bad knee that made Keshi leap frog him in the pecking order. Amos stood no chance, it was as simple as that. Then from nowhere Eboigbe joined the CD queue, a player Keshi preferred over Amos.

Wo there were a thousand players who could have played back then. There was a very good CD from ACB back then Frank Onwuachi( or so), Idowu Otubusin(slow poison) from Shooting, the queue was as long as the queue to enter the national stadium on match day back then, they waited for almost 10 years just to take over from CCC, it never happened, take a trip back to those years, you will see why CCC reigned supreme, he was awesome, not only as a player , but as a leader of men.

If i remember Ogboe was called to camp , the Ogboe of Insurance was never the same in the national team, remeber this was the time Usiyen left us in the lurch in 1977, we were looking for a center forward, a search that took almost 8 years before Yekini surfaced. How many guys did we try as center forward, mmm let me count, Ifeanyi Onyedika, Kelechi 'Bulldozer' Emeteole,Martins Eyo, Ogboe(whose handicap was being a one legged left footed player), Muda Lawal, Emma Osigwe, we even tried to bring in John Fashanu, and also this guy from Portugal something Obiora who used to play for Rangers before going abroad, in 1982 out of desperation we even had to bring back an out of shape Usiyen just because that position was begging to be filled, what was keeping Ogboe out, it was his for the asking. It was only in 1984 that a young strappling gangling striker unearthed by IICC from UNTL FC kaduna by name Yekini, tried out for that position and the nation for a minute felt well at least we have someone who looks the part.

Oloye:
No offence meant:
Just how old are you?
Damn, never heard of any of these players before. Ok, i confess, didnt live in nigeria that long.... But if all these guyz are as good as you guyz are saying, i would have loved to see them in action! :-)
Old enough to still feature for the U-17 :D but i will need a new knee, some hip replacement and a barber to give me the kind of cut that would make me look much younger than Uncle Stanley Okoro.
On a more serious note i was born to love the game, i was a keen follower of the game right from my primary school days. Most of these names i kept in my memory from my primary and secondary school days.
"There is big pressure at this club as you cannot be like the manager at Arsenal and ask for five years to try and to win one trophy" - Jose Mourinho

.... I believe in God. I try to be a good man so He can have a bit of time to give me a hand when I need it - Jose Mourinho
oloye
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by oloye »

Next wrote:
oloye wrote:
megapro wrote:I do not think his argument is just based on the FA cup run of 1978.
What is apparent is that as at the nations cup 1980, Insurance were by far the best team in the country. They had won the national league in 1979 where they needed a point against Water coporation in the final league match in Ibadan of all places. (Ogboe had been shot in that city.)
One would have expected the champion bonus teams like leventis bennefited when they won thier titles regarding invitations and caps.
But it seems no one was ready to confront the 2 established blocks of nigerian soccer then.
gloria capped guys like Edoseghe, Ogu and Egharevba but for whatever reasons, he never took them to tournaments.
Who will you drop for Edosoghe, Ogu, and Egharevba, in that Eagles squad. That is the point. Will you drop Big Sege for Ogu, mind you in my books Ogu was also a fantastic player, but like i said somewhere, some players came at the wrong time. Will you drop Adokiye or Owoblow for Egharevba(sic) or who in the defence will you drop for Amos Edoseghe. Remeber we had the following playing in the defence then, Adiele, who dethroned Ekeji from the right back, Okey Isima on the left, where Owoblow often features as well before he was moved upfront., CCC, Tunde Bamidele, Johny Orlando(who ironically is a Ghanian), Kadiri Ikhana , who was from the glorious Insurance team, i believe Adiele and Ikhana were from that team, that puts to rest the conspiracy theory.

Even Kadiri had to play in the midfield, such was the abundance of talents back then . Ofcourse there were players like Franklin Howard a much better player than Keshi back then (a victim of knee injury) all in the waiting. It was Howard's bad knee that made Keshi leap frog him in the pecking order. Amos stood no chance, it was as simple as that. Then from nowhere Eboigbe joined the CD queue, a player Keshi preferred over Amos.

Wo there were a thousand players who could have played back then. There was a very good CD from ACB back then Frank Onwuachi( or so), Idowu Otubusin(slow poison) from Shooting, the queue was as long as the queue to enter the national stadium on match day back then, they waited for almost 10 years just to take over from CCC, it never happened, take a trip back to those years, you will see why CCC reigned supreme, he was awesome, not only as a player , but as a leader of men.

If i remember Ogboe was called to camp , the Ogboe of Insurance was never the same in the national team, remeber this was the time Usiyen left us in the lurch in 1977, we were looking for a center forward, a search that took almost 8 years before Yekini surfaced. How many guys did we try as center forward, mmm let me count, Ifeanyi Onyedika, Kelechi 'Bulldozer' Emeteole,Martins Eyo, Ogboe(whose handicap was being a one legged left footed player), Muda Lawal, Emma Osigwe, we even tried to bring in John Fashanu, and also this guy from Portugal something Obiora who used to play for Rangers before going abroad, in 1982 out of desperation we even had to bring back an out of shape Usiyen just because that position was begging to be filled, what was keeping Ogboe out, it was his for the asking. It was only in 1984 that a young strappling gangling striker unearthed by IICC from UNTL FC kaduna by name Yekini, tried out for that position and the nation for a minute felt well at least we have someone who looks the part.

Oloye:
No offence meant:
Just how old are you?
Damn, never heard of any of these players before. Ok, i confess, didnt live in nigeria that long.... But if all these guyz are as good as you guyz are saying, i would have loved to see them in action! :-)
Oh by the way, these guys were the cream dela cream of Nigrian football, there is no way you will write the history of Nigerian football without being compelled to mention them, any history without their names is an incomplete one.
"There is big pressure at this club as you cannot be like the manager at Arsenal and ask for five years to try and to win one trophy" - Jose Mourinho

.... I believe in God. I try to be a good man so He can have a bit of time to give me a hand when I need it - Jose Mourinho
eru.bugzy
Egg
Egg

Post by eru.bugzy »

I thoroughly enjoyed reading this....brought back memories of a time when life was simple and footie in Naija was solid. Although I was a "very young" fan back in the late 70's and early 80's, I remember the Bendel Insurance team of 1978-1981 being a major force in the league and cup. I remember the bloody semifinal in 1979 between Bendel Insurance and IICC played at the main bowl of the national stadium. This brought back memories of details lost to time and space. Kudos to all the "older" debaters who experienced a very beautiful time in our football history.

Being a bendelite, I remember my relatives complaining about marginalization (I no sabi wetin dem dey talk) from the national team. However, the IICC and Rangers boys seemed to be la creme de la creme with the clout and experience. Winning in 1980 justified the means, and I believe all Nigerians were happy.

Only if we had real men playing for the Super Eagles these days! In those days, it seemed we had legends playing all the time (maybe becos we dey young, all the egbons were legends, while in these days, our younger brothers seem like kids)! Anyway, football has gone downhill becos efrything for naija don go down....no organization, but we wan reap where we never sow. No better primary/secondary school/ university games to nurture talent. Na quick money wey dey send pikins to europe to enter yeye-contracts, then come back like "big man".

Anyway, thanx for the trip down memory lane!
Sanga Balende
Egg
Egg

Post by Sanga Balende »

Oloye is the truth. If usiyan did not leave for yankee in 1977 and iwelumo did not dissappear, I dont think Tunisia had a prayer against us.
wale1974
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by wale1974 »

oloye wrote:
Next wrote:
oloye wrote:

Oloye:
No offence meant:
Just how old are you?
Old enough to still feature for the U-17 :D but i will need a new knee, some hip replacement and a barber to give me the kind of cut that would make me look much younger than Uncle Stanley Okoro.
On a more serious note i was born to love the game, i was a keen follower of the game right from my primary school days. Most of these names i kept in my memory from my primary and secondary school days.
That is when football was sweet, What ever happen to Sam Pam and Wakilu Oyenuga anyway?
"Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our minds!" - Bob Marley
megapro
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by megapro »

Sanga Balende wrote:Oloye is the truth. If usiyan did not leave for yankee in 1977 and iwelumo did not dissappear, I dont think Tunisia had a prayer against us.
Balende, you go just appear, drop one blockbuster thread, take off again. :lol:
megapro 2012:
Keshi should be left alone to continue his program, and seriously has a chance of casting his name in gold
megapro
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by megapro »

YemiBrazil wrote:
megapro wrote:
Waffiman wrote:
oloye wrote:Sometimes i read this old thread and i am reminded why CE became an addiction
True! I still disagree with about Ekeji and Adiele. :winking: :winking: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
dejavu.

pls who can elaborate on the IICC-Rangers conflict that resulted in the league being truncated in 1983 and the title awarded to IICC?.
The league was not truncated in 1983. IICC won clearly & finished the league in grand style with a series of 3-0 victories. Maybe you refer to 1982 when Rangers scored a controversial goal at the Liberty Stadium - the referee awarded the goal but IICC protested vehemently and when the ball was placed in the center-circle Segun Odegbami stepped up and kicked the ball into the covered seat where the then NFA gen-sec (Buba Ahmed?) was seated! Segun Odegbami was subsequently banned indefinitely and missed out of IICC's successful campaign under Niyi Akande in 1983 but rejoined the team in 1984 for African Cup of Champions.

:lol:

Your dad knows his football.

The league ended midway in 82 becuase of the clash of the elephants.
wetin concern Insurance ( 3rd position at the time) and NNB (2nd position) if IICC and Rangers fight?

And again who else but the agbero Segun will do such a thing? Earlier the same season at the ogbe stadium, John Omughele scored from outside the 18 yard box for bendel but Odegbami claimed it was side netting, seized the ball and called a walk out.

Rangers were awarded the title because of confusion over the Wahala and what an injustice because NNB were at their heels and were scheduled to host them at home.
Anyway, they were declared second based on their position at the time of the cancellation and not only went on to represent Nigeria at the WAFU, they won it twice in a row.
Insurance were given third and went for the Rothmans cup.

Where is Remi Asuni?
megapro 2012:
Keshi should be left alone to continue his program, and seriously has a chance of casting his name in gold
Goldleaf
Egg
Egg

Post by Goldleaf »

Megapro,

When you write the name Remi Asuni, don't leave his "engineer" title out of it.

Your memory ability is frightening. All these names.
megapro
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by megapro »

Goldleaf wrote:Megapro,

When you write the name Remi Asuni, don't leave his "engineer" title out of it.

Your memory ability is frightening. All these names.
Pardon me jare. His name never appeared without Engineer.
During my youth service at Ibadan, the firm I was working designed his Villa and I was personally in charge of the supervision. Either at the site or his office at Iyaganku we would be arguing Sooting vs bendel.
megapro 2012:
megapro
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by megapro »

YemiBrazil wrote:
megapro wrote:
Waffiman wrote:
dejavu.

no Buba.

the immediate ones of the era before the best of the Sec-Gens Patrick Okpomo (84-87)
Funsho Oni 1977-1978
Yinka Okeowo 1978-1979
Ayo Alabi 1979-1981
Tunde Olushile 1981-1982
Yinka Okeowo 1982-1983

The incident happened in may-june 82 around the time Edwin Kentebbe replaced Mike Okwechime as NFA chairman.
megapro 2012:
oloye
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by oloye »

Sanga Balende wrote:Oloye is the truth. If usiyan did not leave for yankee in 1977 and iwelumo did not dissappear, I dont think Tunisia had a prayer against us.
They dont have a prayer and fasting combined. :lol:

oloye
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by oloye »

wale1974 wrote:
oloye wrote:
Next wrote:
oloye wrote:

Oloye:
No offence meant:
Just how old are you?
That is when football was sweet, What ever happen to Sam Pam and Wakilu Oyenuga anyway?
Sam Pam retired from football while playing for Orlando Pirates, last time i checked he was living in South Africa, dont know if he is till living there. Wakilu left the game in the late 80's his destination was London, that was the end of his career, don't know what he is doing now or if he still lives in London.

GIN
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by GIN »

Oloye, where is Humprhey Jebba and Andrew Aikhuomogbe?
Samson Siasia speaking FACTs about 2008.
“I have been waiting for this job for almost three years now and that was before the 2008 Beijing Olympics. I was to be the coach of the Super Eagles after the interview conducted for the job. But that time I said no, I wasn’t ready. Now that I am ready, I am not intimidated at all. I am ready for this job,” he declared matter-of-factly" http://africanfootball.mtnfootball.com/ ... m_ID=36099
oloye
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by oloye »

GIN wrote:Oloye, where is Humprhey Jebba and Andrew Aikhuomogbe?
Humphrey the last time i heard is a coach with Delta state, his state of origin. As for Andrew , i dont know, but i am genuinely concern for this lad. A pleasant lad but i am not sure he would be able to handle life outside of football. I hope and pray he is doing well wherever he is today, he is one of those guys who can never stop seeing the positive side of life even if you are killing him.

GIN
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by GIN »

oloye wrote:
GIN wrote:Oloye, where is Humprhey Jebba and Andrew Aikhuomogbe?
Humphrey the last time i heard is a coach with Delta state, his state of origin. As for Andrew , i dont know, but i am genuinely concern for this lad. A pleasant lad but i am not sure he would be able to handle life outside of football. I hope and pray he is doing well wherever he is today, he is one of those guys who can never stop seeing the positive side of life even if you are killing him.
Oloye, Thanks for the information.
Samson Siasia speaking FACTs about 2008.
“I have been waiting for this job for almost three years now and that was before the 2008 Beijing Olympics. I was to be the coach of the Super Eagles after the interview conducted for the job. But that time I said no, I wasn’t ready. Now that I am ready, I am not intimidated at all. I am ready for this job,” he declared matter-of-factly" http://africanfootball.mtnfootball.com/ ... m_ID=36099
Goldleaf
Egg
Egg

Post by Goldleaf »

megapro wrote:
YemiBrazil wrote:
megapro wrote:
Waffiman wrote:
dejavu.

no Buba.

the immediate ones of the era before the best of the Sec-Gens Patrick Okpomo (84-87)
Funsho Oni 1977-1978
Yinka Okeowo 1978-1979
Ayo Alabi 1979-1981
Tunde Olushile 1981-1982
Yinka Okeowo 1982-1983

The incident happened in may-june 82 around the time Edwin Kentebbe replaced Mike Okwechime as NFA chairman.
Yinka Okeowo was my uncle. He ran a column called "Sports Science" in the Punch for years. Unfortunately, he died a couple of years ago after a long illness. He was terrific!
megapro
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by megapro »

Goldleaf wrote:
megapro wrote:
YemiBrazil wrote:
megapro wrote:
Waffiman wrote:
dejavu.

no Buba.

Funsho Oni 1977-1978
Yinka Okeowo 1978-1979
Ayo Alabi 1979-1981
Tunde Olushile 1981-1982
Yinka Okeowo 1982-1983

Yinka Okeowo was my uncle. He ran a column called "Sports Science" in the Punch for years. Unfortunately, he died a couple of years ago after a long illness. He was terrific!
Oh sad.

I loved Sam Akpabot's column.
The oracle of Ibadan.
megapro 2012:
YemiBrazil
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by YemiBrazil »

megapro wrote:
YemiBrazil wrote:
megapro wrote:
Waffiman wrote:
dejavu.

no Buba.

Funsho Oni 1977-1978
Yinka Okeowo 1978-1979
Ayo Alabi 1979-1981
Tunde Olushile 1981-1982
Yinka Okeowo 1982-1983

Maybe Buba Ahmed was with NSC but I still recall that name cos he was the central figure during the crisis.
* The late Chief Ayo Alabi who worked with Unilag for decades and was Unilag's Director of Sports until early 90s was very close to my family.
*** Every child is A STAR! ***

Only Mister Johnson https://www.amazon.com/Only-Mister-Johnson-Okey-Chigbo/dp/B09DMW3RM9
"A revolution in a personal context, is a turn around of a predominant way of thinking or doing things TO BETTER YOURSELF and effectively BETTER YOUR NATION!!!"
* Progressive Federalism * Personal Revolution * Industrialization *
megapro
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by megapro »

YemiBrazil wrote:
megapro wrote:
YemiBrazil wrote:
megapro wrote:
Waffiman wrote:
dejavu.

no Buba.

Funsho Oni 1977-1978
Yinka Okeowo 1978-1979
Ayo Alabi 1979-1981
Tunde Olushile 1981-1982
Yinka Okeowo 1982-1983

Maybe Buba Ahmed was with NSC but I still recall that name cos he was the central figure during the crisis.
* The late Chief Ayo Alabi who worked with Unilag for decades and was Unilag's Director of Sports until early 90s was very close to my family.
Shagari's Minister of Sports.
So you remember when you dey KG?
megapro 2012:
anikulapo
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by anikulapo »

I wonder how well Ben Okorogu would have fitted in if he was murdered in the Eagles camp under suspicious circumstances :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.....

"“There comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor politic, nor popular, but he must take it because conscience tells him it is right.”

MLK.
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

How on earth did I miss this discussion? Impressive and a lot of memorires.

Waffiman:

You may be the first guy that has mentioned Adiele being better than Ekeji. You must not have seen Ekeji, bros. It was not even close, Ekeji was a far better player. Oloye has mentioned several areas in which he was significantly superior and I will list here -- defensively, being versatile (He could play anywhere in defense), his bullet-like shots, overlapping, ball control (Adiele was shaky here). I saw both players at their prime -- Adiele up close from his time with Vasco Da Gama in Enugu to Insurance etc. IMO, Ekeji, in terms of ability, could be compared favorably to the likes of CCC. I think Ekeji's status in Nigeria's football history is hampered by his fewer games with both clubs and the NT primarily because of his focus on education at UNN at the time. It was his nonavailability that made Annas Ahmed smell some starting shirt on the NT!! :lol: :lol:
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Sanga Balende
Egg
Egg

Post by Sanga Balende »

I still say there was a conspiracy. Giving Kadhiri and Adiele an opportunity is an insult. ANC after the opening game and Muda in the knock out stages. While we accomodated Owolabi and Adokiye in an unorthodo dual left wing approach. Ogboe, Agbonifo should have had a shot. Martins Eyo could not clean Ogboe's boots. Martins Eyo ke? Please don't insult me by telling me that Effiong as a third keeper was remotely equipped to play. Why was Agwo Nnaji not called up??? Why??? A man who had shut out the likes of Abega, Odegbami, Onyedika, Milla, Ekoule was not good enough to be our second choice keepr over an aging and declining Okala? John orlando was beter than Agbonifo? Bamidele was better than a pre injured Howard or Monidafe. If you believe that, you dont know football.

On another note, don't forget we also tried out John Nwadioha in Tunis and in the mid eighties, we also tried out the Luton Town basher Emeka Nwajiobi.

I do believe that this time around, Nigeria may just have rediscovered its largest base of quality talent pool. Whether they are committed or not remains to be seen.