Which two strikers would you start with in Harare

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Ayo Akinfe
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle
Which two strikers would you start with in Harare

Post by Ayo Akinfe »

Most of us may not appreciate it but the reast of the world must look on at the array of striking talent Nigeria currently has at her disposal. Very few teams can boast of such a high number of in-form strikers who can be called upon to do the business.

Remember Martins is not even in Harare but despite his absence, the task of picking the front two will be a very difficult one for Chukwu if he insists on using current form as the basis for selection. Look at what our boys have been doing of late:

Bartholomew Ogbeche
Last week, he single handedly get PSG two goals in a 2-2 draw. He was brought down for a penalty for the first goal, which Paulleta took and the went ahead and scored the second himself.

Yakubu Aiyegbeni
His heroics against Fulham last week need no mentioning. He banged in a hat trick

Julius Aghahowa
He is also on a hot streak. He scored again last week and has been a consistent scorer in Shaktar Donetsk's successful qualification for the group stages of the European Champions League

John Utaka
Torpedo is Nigeria's man of the moment. His eye-catching runs are just a delight to run. Of all these players, he is the most complete with pace, stregnth, guile, craft, a scoring touch, aerial prowess and versatility. He scored for Lens again last week and these days is one of the first names on the Eagles team list.

Osaze Odemigwe
I for one do not regard Osaze as a striker, as I see him as a playmaker in the mould of Kaka and consider him as the natural replacement for JJ. However, as we all know, Osaze can play upfront and he certainly knows where the back of the net is. He is currently in a rich vein of form, which is why he is currently being sought after by all and sundry.

We do not know which formation Chukwu will opt for or who he will pick but we know from past experience, that when he has a full compliment of players and opts for his 4-4-2, he starts with Martins and Aiyegbeni upfront, irrespective of form. I for one am interested in seeing what he does in Harare.
Jimi
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Jimi »

I would go with Yak and Jag if we go with CCC's "patented" 4-4-2. However if we consider a 4-5-1 formation to flood the midfield then I would use Yak as the spearhead and play Okocha, Olofinjana, Utaka, Osaze and Obodo in midfield. I know left to you Ayo you would exclude Yak altogether, right?
kongi the emir

Post by kongi the emir »

Yak & Jag.
Babalawo
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Babalawo »

Most likely he's gonna use Yak......Jag, and Osaze to come in 4 any of them dat falls below average during the game, i don't see Ogbeche playing this match, unless Jag is pulled out.

Anyway, let see what happens.
Peter Obi For President 2023
mastermind
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by mastermind »

CCC might play yak/osaze cos osaze scored 3 goals for CCC in ANC, but on current form YAK/JAG or Yak/Ogbeche
http://www.melangeGO.com/
A family oriented online fashion store. Offering high quality products at low cost.
Ayo Akinfe
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Ayo Akinfe »

Jimi wrote:I would go with Yak and Jag if we go with CCC's "patented" 4-4-2. However if we consider a 4-5-1 formation to flood the midfield then I would use Yak as the spearhead and play Okocha, Olofinjana, Utaka, Osaze and Obodo in midfield. I know left to you Ayo you would exclude Yak altogether, right?
Personally, I think CCC will play 4-3-3. This is my guess as to how the team will line up:

***********************Aghahowa**********************

**************Aiyegbeni************Utaka***************

***********************Okocha************************

**************Obodo**************Olofinjana************

***Melkham******Nnwaneri*******Enakarhire******Ordiah***

***********************Enyeama**********************

Can I just add that this is the kind of game to which Yakubu may actually be well suited. He is not up against classy defenders and his gra-gra will be needed on the counter attack as it shall be a right fight.
Ghost
Egg
Egg

Post by Ghost »

He really could close his eyes, pick any 2 and still come out golden. Personally, I will go with Osaze and JAg. I think CCC will go with YAK and JAg.
You think this is tough, wait till Martins, Kanu get in the mix.
mystic

Post by mystic »

Ayo:

What makes you think that CCC will go with a 4-3-3?
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by GUEST »

WHY NOT TRY SOMETHING WE'VE NEVER SEEN IN THE PAST 2 YRS!

--------------------------------UTTAKA-----------------AGHAHOWA----------------------

I SAY DO SOMETHING DIFFERENT CHUKWUDINHO!
Jiggerman21
Egg
Egg

Post by Jiggerman21 »

Ayo Akinfe,

I would start three strikers.......

Mr.Four, Mr.One and Mr.Nine

Deadly combo! :evil:
A stubborn goat can never learn from past mistakes. Nuff said.
Paveman
Egg
Egg

Post by Paveman »

Ayo:

CCC might go for the 4-3-3 line-up but Lawal will figure. Almost certain about that.
Ayo Akinfe
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Ayo Akinfe »

Paveman wrote:Ayo:

CCC might go for the 4-3-3 line-up but Lawal will figure. Almost certain about that.
Why? They are having their team talk at about not, during which the line-up will be revealed, so we will know who is playing within the next hour or so.

However, I have my doubts about Garba playing, especially if they go for 4-3-3. I know Chukwu has not been happy about Garba's marking when he play as a left full back.

Garus does not get tight enough on his man, as he is afraid that he may get turned and shown a clean pair of heels. At his age, he is worried that young strikers may outpace him.

I would be very surprised if Lawal is picked ahead of the younger and fitted Melkham. Anyway, in an hour or so, we will know what is really going on.
Paveman
Egg
Egg

Post by Paveman »

Ayo:

I would have thought that with such an inexpereienced defence, CCC would go for Lawal for that experience.
alternatively, he might also play Lawal in midfield.
Ayo Akinfe
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Ayo Akinfe »

Paveman wrote:Ayo:

I would have thought that with such an inexpereienced defence, CCC would go for Lawal for that experience.
alternatively, he might also play Lawal in midfield.
Possibly. We will all know in a few hours time. All I know is that in recent games, Chukwu has been unhappy with Lawal's marking at left back, which is why the injured Udeze was played against Algeria.

I do not know how sharp Melkham was in training but if he shows the kind of form he did in the Faro camp, I cannot see how he will be droped for Lawal. I know the defence is inexperienced in terms of playing as a unit for the Eagles but the likes of Ordiah, Enarkarhire and Melkham have got a lot of European experience under their belts.

Obinna Nnwaneri is the least experienced of the lot but then he has acquired a lot of international experience playing for Enyimba. Playing Zimbabwe in Harare is no more intimidating than facing Ismaili in Cairo.
TD
Egg
Egg

Post by TD »

I think he will play Obodo as the fox in the box.
sarkin doya
Egg
Egg

Post by sarkin doya »

Paveman:

I would tend to agree with Paveman's analysis on this one.
Club experience is not a substitute for national team experience.

This is not to say that Melkam would have underperformed in
the game. We don't really know what would have transpired
had he started instead of Lawal.

Also, for those who say Melkam should have been the 2nd or
3rd substitution, I'm not so sure about this. The Obodo
substitution may have been tactical. However, the latter
2 subs may have been to give people a run out - although
I'm sure any coach will always have clear rational for
substitutions ... whether or not we agree with it.

As for bringing in Melkam as a sub, you have to remember
that this is his 1st time at an SE match. If the criteria
for the 2nd or 3rd subs was to give folks a run out,
I would rather give Osaze and Bartho the run out than
Melkam - unless Lawal was not doing well at all.

>Ayo:
>
>I would have thought that with such an inexpereienced defence, >CCC would go for Lawal for that experience.
>alternatively, he might also play Lawal in midfield.