Enyeama joins complaints on Jabulani

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

goke313
Eaglet
Eaglet
Enyeama joins complaints on Jabulani

Post by goke313 »

Nigeria goalkeeper Vincent Enyeama has added his voice to the Jabulani controversy, warning that the World Cup ball will disgrace goalkeepers in South Africa.

Enyeama was the first to speak out about the ball during the African Nations Cup in Angola, but his words failed to gain traction. Recently, some of the world's top goalkeepers have come out to add their voices and Enyeama says it is too late.

"When I spoke about it during the Nations Cup, some people said I was just making excuses.

"Now, other goalkeepers have joined in and it has now become an issue. But it is too late to do anything about it.

"The only thing is that some of us might be disgraced by that ball at the World Cup."

Enyeama himself almost suffered from the ball's unpredictable swerving motion against North Korea on Sunday when a shot from distance almost found its way in to the goal.

"It was a difficult moment for me. The ball came at me and I thought I had it covered, but it moved at the last minute and I was lucky to get a fingertip to it, but it still hit the bar.

"I am sure and angel was protecting me, otherwise, that would have been a goal."

His advice to his fellow goalkeepers is to work as hard and long as possible with the ball as tournament kick-off approaches.

"And we should pray that we come out from every game without being embarrassed."

Colin Udoh

http://www.kickoff.com/news/15932/enyea ... eepers.php
General Trousers
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: Enyeama joins complaints on Jabulani

Post by General Trousers »

Well ... I play with the Jabulani every Saturday. The thing is bouncy no be small ...

x
opine
Egg
Egg

Post by opine »

Really who are the knuckleheads making such drastic changes to the ball every worldcup? If it aint broke don't fix it. I can understand changing the color and design and all that stuff but what's up with messing with the aerodynamics.
Tbite wrote: Yes we have deadweights in our team like Babatunde, Agbim and Rueben, but they are OUR deadweights! Our wastepipes! We must love them...respect them! If we do not love our junks....who will? Who?
Dodo
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Dodo »

General Trousers wrote:Well ... I play with the Jabulani every Saturday. The thing is bouncy no be small ...

x

that was the first thing i noticed about the ball during the ANC opener, it was either that or the pitches in Angola were rock solid
nemi2002
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by nemi2002 »

The ball is more difficult to catch and will lead to more goals, which is what FIFA wants.
Mr. Piffington
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Mr. Piffington »

I can see alot of long range goals this WC.
This post was made by Appitti who is currently on your ignore list.
This post was made by bully12 who is currently on your ignore list.
This post was made by COOKING SPOON who is currently on your ignore list.
This post was made by danfo driver who is currently on your ignore list.
This post was made by muzines who is currently on your ignore list.
This post was made by ohenhen1 who is currently on your ignore list.
kdk4christ
Egg
Egg

Post by kdk4christ »

Adidas Jabulani World Cup football ‘is the most stable ever made’

David James, England’s goalkeeper, described it as dreadful, the Italian striker Giampaolo Pazzini labelled it a disaster and Brazil’s Julio Cesar likened it to a “grocery store” football. But the British scientist behind the official World Cup ball has defended the adidas Jabulani as the most stable and precise football ever made.

If the ball goes off target more often it is not because it is unpredictable but because it travels 5 per cent faster, according to Andy Harland, a sports technologist at Loughborough University who led the aerodynamic testing and design of the football.

The ball’s greater pace meant that small changes in the striking angle could translate into bigger differences in the final placement of the ball, he said yesterday. The effect was likely to be exaggerated at high altitudes, where balls travel even faster.

With experience, however, players may be able to use the additional sensitivity to their advantage, he added. “Footballers should be rewarded for their skill by a ball that responds uniformly,” Dr Harland said. “The desire wasn’t to flummox the players with unpredictable flight.”

The Jabulani — meaning “rejoice” in Zulu — has attracted a storm of criticism from strikers and goalkeepers since it was unveiled last month. After the United States’ World Cup warm-up victory on Saturday, the team’s goalkeeper, Tim Howard, was the latest to complain that the adidas ball was liable to fly off course. “What does it do? What doesn’t it do would be a better question,” he said. “It moves all over. If you hit five balls with the same striking motion you wouldn’t get the same result.”

However, robotic wind tunnel testing of the ball showed it to be significantly less prone to aerodynamic instabilities, according to the Loughborough University team. “I realise a number of players have made complaints,” Dr Harland said. “But with the best will in the world, there isn’t a player who can kick the same way twice. Our kicking robot can.”

He added that, contrary to some reports, the ball was no lighter than those used at previous World Cups, as it had to comply with Fifa’s official specifications. “Anyone who claims these balls are lighter really ought to get their kitchen scales out,” he said.

“The standard weight of a football hasn’t changed during the lifetime of any contemporary footballer.”

The ball comprises eight thermally-bonded panels, down from 14 in the last World Cup. The panels are moulded from a polythene casing and ethylene-vinyl acetate (EVA) foam and surface of the ball is textured with grooves intended to improve the ball’s aerodynamics and decrease “wobble”. It is the first official World Cup ball not to feature hand-stitching.

Dr Harland also dismissed the notion that the ball had been designed specifically for the benefit of strikers and to the detriment of goalkeepers, as some have claimed. “Goalkeepers have a perception that technological progress isn’t to their advantage, but the surface texture makes it easier for goalkeepers to grip,” he said.

Thomas van Schaik, an adidas spokesman, predicted that the criticism would die down once the tournament began. “If you look back in history, there have always been criticisms about the ball before the World Cup but not so much afterwards, after you’ve seen great goals or great saves,” he said.

“The ball is much more accurate, making the best players in the world even better. If they kick the ball they want it to go where they are aiming for and even the goalkeepers get a better idea of where the ball is going.”
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/ ... 145715.ece
*JESUS LOVES YOU* More Than You Know

"When we die we leave behind us all that we have, and take with us all that we are."
mcal
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by mcal »

Mr. Piffington wrote:I can see alot of long range goals this WC.
...a certain yanky gk should beware...Howard :scared:
anointed
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by anointed »

goke313 wrote:
"I am sure an angel was protecting me, otherwise, that would have been a goal."
There had better be many of them in our 23-man squad.
TOUCH NOT MY ANOINTED...
For the preaching of the cross is to them that perish foolishness; but unto us which are saved it is the power of God. For it is written, I will destroy the wisdom of the wise, and will bring to nothing the understanding...hath not God made foolish the wisdom of this world? 21 For after that in the wisdom of God the world by wisdom knew not God, it pleased God by the foolishness of preaching to save them that believe
okjazz
Egg
Egg

Post by okjazz »

opine wrote:Really who are the knuckleheads making such drastic changes to the ball every worldcup? If it aint broke don't fix it. I can understand changing the color and design and all that stuff but what's up with messing with the aerodynamics.

Adidas makes a boatload of money by introducing a new ball every 4 years.........Its the same reason Microsost produces a new OS every 2 years instead of just giving updates...MONEY !

If this ball produces more goals then its all good :thumbs: :thumbs:
Bobo Dan
Egg
Egg

Post by Bobo Dan »

....which is exactly why I am WORRIED and CONCERNED our boys have not been particularly good at taking shots (albeit long distance ones), and when they do they are usually to the stands. I am very very sad at this development.
Look at the banana shot Oliseh scored the 3rd goal against Spain with in France 2002. Imagine that we still have a player like Oliseh in this squad with this Jabulani ball.
Think of how many goal the bobo go score with his banana shots :cry: :cry: :cry: :( .
Just imagine. eh?
If I can't express my opinion, I have no reason to be part of this union."
Co Adriaanse - AZ Coach

We’re not rated on the Continent,” said Toshack. “British managers are not, coaches are not, players are not. It’s all 4-4-2, hit the front man, get on the second ball. It hasn’t changed. It frustrates me at times, it really does.”
- John Toshack (British Wales Coach viewtopic.php?t=111511 ).

Prince
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Prince »

Are you sure we used the same ball....as Kanu shot on goal was so feeble am sure it was not the same ball.
Oya back to the matter
open and close
wale1974
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by wale1974 »

chei Maxi Rodriguez go have fun with this ball
"Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our minds!" - Bob Marley
wale1974
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by wale1974 »

mcal wrote:
...a certain yanky gk should beware...Howard :scared:
For real man
"Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our minds!" - Bob Marley
Molue Conductor
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Molue Conductor »

anointed wrote:
goke313 wrote:
:rotf:
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by balo »

It is an even field for everyone. One team will not play with a different ball than the others.

Our team better start practicing long shots.
If Noah had been truly wise, he would have swatted those two flies. -- Helen Castle

http://i42.tinypic.com/210hk01.jpg
seyiblack
Egg
Egg

Post by seyiblack »

I am just glad that we now have a corner kick taker in Haruna. Those kicks at the ANC were jokes. The keeper could take a nap after it is kicked, wake up and then go for the ball. Those kicks were lobs with absolutely no swerve.
Support our boys regardless of coach, ethnicity of players and pure jealousy.
REDSPYDA
Egg
Egg

Post by REDSPYDA »

LOL!!! I see all the keepers are getting their excuses in before the tournament.. incase there are howlers :D :D
metalalloy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by metalalloy »

Molue Conductor wrote:
anointed wrote:
goke313 wrote:
:rotf:
:rotf: :rotf: :rotf:
We have been brainwashed by the Premier League that it's the best in the world. Nonsense. It's the best brand
Roy Keane: ITV 02/25/14

He says that we are currently "brainwashed" into believing that the Premier League is the best competition in the world, and that we are now a long way off dominating the Champions League again.
Gary Neville: Mirror: 12/23/14

I think Spain’s by far the best league.
Scholes. UK Guardian 9/6/16
Heliopolis
Egg
Egg

Post by Heliopolis »

We see a lot of weak shots from long range go into the net this past ACN. The ones I can remember are the Zambian keeper fumbling a routine shot by a Cameroonian into the net and Kameni giving up a soft goal to Egypt in the QFs. There were some other soft goals as well.

I agree that we should see a few more long distance goals in this tournament.
stargazer
Egg
Egg

Post by stargazer »

The the football be ! whick kian technology do we need in a soccer ball haba
truetalk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by truetalk »

goke313 wrote:Nigeria goalkeeper Vincent Enyeama has added his voice to the Jabulani controversy, warning that the World Cup ball will disgrace goalkeepers in South Africa.

Enyeama was the first to speak out about the ball during the African Nations Cup in Angola, but his words failed to gain traction. Recently, some of the world's top goalkeepers have come out to add their voices and Enyeama says it is too late.

"When I spoke about it during the Nations Cup, some people said I was just making excuses.

"Now, other goalkeepers have joined in and it has now become an issue. But it is too late to do anything about it.

"The only thing is that some of us might be disgraced by that ball at the World Cup."

Enyeama himself almost suffered from the ball's unpredictable swerving motion against North Korea on Sunday when a shot from distance almost found its way in to the goal.

"It was a difficult moment for me. The ball came at me and I thought I had it covered, but it moved at the last minute and I was lucky to get a fingertip to it, but it still hit the bar.

"I am sure and angel was protecting me, otherwise, that would have been a goal."

His advice to his fellow goalkeepers is to work as hard and long as possible with the ball as tournament kick-off approaches.

"And we should pray that we come out from every game without being embarrassed."

Colin Udoh

http://www.kickoff.com/news/15932/enyea ... eepers.php
Vince did not get a hand to that ball. He was not even close. Thank God for the bar