Taye Taiwo given injury all clear - REUTERS

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

YemiBrazil
Eaglet
Eaglet
Taye Taiwo given injury all clear - REUTERS

Post by YemiBrazil »

REUTERS

By Mark Gleeson

JOHANNESBURG June 13 (Reuters) - Nigerian fullback Taye Taiwo was given the all clear to resume training on Sunday after being taken off injured during Saturday's World Cup Group B defeat against Argentina in Johannesburg.

Nigerian team media officer Idah Peterside said on Sunday Taiwo had suffered a sharp pain after stubbing his foot while firing a long range shot just wide of the Argentine goal during the second half of the match at Ellis Park.

He was taken off in the 75th minute of the 1-0 defeat, prompting concern he had suffered a serious injury and could be out for the tournament.

"He's fine and took part in a light run for the players who played in yesterday's game," Peterside told Reuters.

Taiwo, 25, regained his place at left back for Nigeria's first match of the World Cup after being dropped during January's African Nations Cup finals.

A moment's lapse in concentration gifted a goal to Gabriel Heinze in the sixth minute and ultimately consigned Nigeria to a 1-0 defeat in Saturday's game against Argentina.

The players were left with plenty of positives from the game, however, after fine keeping from Vincent Enyeama and stubborn defending all round kept the goals down and a powerful attack caused Argentina plenty of defensive problems.

Nigeria next play Greece in Bloemfontein on Thursday, with the final match on June 22 against South Korea, who beat the Greeks 2-0 in their first game on Saturday.

"To hold a team like Argentina to 1-0 was a good job," striker Yakubu Aiyegbeni told reporters. "The goalkeeper was unbelievable and without him it would have been three or four goals."

Swedish coach Lars Lagerback will have to decide whether to stick with Chinedu Obasi on the left side of attack, after he caused problems for Argentina early on only to tire towards the end of the half.

The experienced Peter Odemwingie replaced Obasi after an hour and could be an option from the start against Greece, with Obafemi Martins, another second-half substitute, also pushing for a starting place.

(Additional reporting by Kevin Fylan; Editing by Michael Holden/Jon Bramley)
*** Every child is A STAR! ***

Only Mister Johnson https://www.amazon.com/Only-Mister-Johnson-Okey-Chigbo/dp/B09DMW3RM9
----------------------------------------------------------------
"A revolution in a personal context, is a turn around of a predominant way of thinking or doing things TO BETTER YOURSELF and effectively BETTER YOUR NATION!!!"
----------------------------------------------------------------
* Progressive Federalism * Personal Revolution * Industrialization *
kash n' karry
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: Taye Taiwo given injury all clear - REUTERS

Post by kash n' karry »

:evil: :twisted:
Good news for our defense bcos we definitely need all da help we can get in that dept.
Odas
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Odas »

kash n' karry wrote::evil: :twisted:
Good news for our defense bcos we definitely need all da help we can get in that dept.
Yep!! Very good new indeed.
And the BIBLE says: The race is NOT for the swift, neither is the battle for the strong nor ... but time and chance makes them all.
Ecclesiastes 1:18: For in much wisdom is much grief and he that increases knowledge increases sorrow.
Odas
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Odas »

kash n' karry wrote::evil: :twisted:
Yep!! Very good new indeed.
And the BIBLE says: The race is NOT for the swift, neither is the battle for the strong nor ... but time and chance makes them all.
Ecclesiastes 1:18: For in much wisdom is much grief and he that increases knowledge increases sorrow.
Ekorian
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Ekorian »

Some Naijas are simply schizophrenic. Isn't the same Taiwo some were bashing not too long ago? He's now suddenly our Messiah.
GOD BLESS CANADA, THE GREATEST COUNTRY IN THE WORLD
juventuss
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by juventuss »

Ekorian wrote:Some Naijas are simply schizophrenic. Isn't the same Taiwo some were bashing not too long ago? He's suddenly our Messiah.
stop exaggerating, I do not think Naijas are looking at him as our messiah. He is a key part of our team.
Ayton Senna wrote:On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit.' As soon as you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high - Ayton Senna

FORZA JUVE
gurrano
Egg
Egg

Post by gurrano »

Thank you oh! my brother.. I thought I was the only one who noticed this trend on Cybereagles.. I guess the saying "with the same voice they said messiah and with thesame voice they said crucify him" was really referring to Nigerians
Ekorian wrote:Some Naijas are simply schizophrenic. Isn't the same Taiwo some were bashing not too long ago? He's now suddenly our Messiah.
oloye
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by oloye »

Ekorian wrote:Some Naijas are simply schizophrenic. Isn't the same Taiwo some were bashing not too long ago? He's now suddenly our Messiah.
Welcome to CE, this is the only football forum i know where a player is King today and tommorow he becomes a slave. I have been saying this, can we make up our mind on our players are they Kings or slaves. :D
"There is big pressure at this club as you cannot be like the manager at Arsenal and ask for five years to try and to win one trophy" - Jose Mourinho

.... I believe in God. I try to be a good man so He can have a bit of time to give me a hand when I need it - Jose Mourinho
hurricaneeddy
Egg
Egg

Post by hurricaneeddy »

oloye wrote:
Welcome to CE, this is the only football forum i know where a player is King today and tommorow he becomes a slave. I have been saying this, can we make up our mind on our players are they Kings or slaves. :D
:rotf: :rotf:
Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter.

Martin Luther King, Jr.

"He took a lot of punishment and fought until the end," said Klitschko. "But from round two, it was clear that his game plan wasn't working. lol. september 11 klitschko vs peter
Gotti
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Gotti »

Nothing wrong in alternatively commending and condemning a player based on performance...
#ENDSARS #BLM
#ENDPOLICEBRUTALITY

#FREESENEGAL
spastic
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by spastic »

1. It makes no sense to pretend CE is one voice, it isn't.
Some have always criticized Taiwo (myself being one of the loudest on that front), others are staunch supporters of Taiwo.
That said, Taiwo was having a good game yesterday before he got injured. So on the power of that alone, most (those who support and thopse who think he is not all that) are hoping the spate of good performances continue.

Bad players can have good games, and good player, bad games. The key however to kowing whether this was a good player having a bad game or a bad player having a good game, is to decide in the last few years which one he had the more of :idea:

Taiwo is a bad player that was having a good game :idea:
CMS
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by CMS »

No mind am. TT best wishes to you. He certainly played an awesome game yesterday. I just think Osaze should come in for Obasi and Martins for Obinna.
juventuss wrote:
Ekorian wrote:Some Naijas are simply schizophrenic. Isn't the same Taiwo some were bashing not too long ago? He's suddenly our Messiah.
stop exaggerating, I do not think Naijas are looking at him as our messiah. He is a key part of our team.
http://nigeriamasterweb.com/paperfrmes.html

Keshi said that before the team arrived South Africa that he told skipper Joseph Yobo that the Eagles were going to win the Cup but the former Everton defender did not believe.
:lol:
ilovemaputo
Egg
Egg

Post by ilovemaputo »

Taiwo was good in the game. Thank God he's okay. I wish he would vary his free-kicks a bit instead of blasting all the time.