America College Basketball Corner:

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

furiously frank
Eaglet
Eaglet
America College Basketball Corner:

Post by furiously frank »

Well let me make history here:

Ofili, Robby: Does any of you sabi this Naija boy:

NO. PLAYER POS HT WT YRS HOMETOWN
== ====== === == == === ========
1 Jamar Smith F 6-9 239 Sr Sicklerville, NJ
(Allegany CC)
2 Andre Collins G 5-10 167 Jr Crisfield, MD
(Hargrave Military)
4 Travis Garrison F 6-9 236 So Hyattsville, MD
(De Matha)
5 D.J. Strawberry G 6-5 185 Fr Corona, CA (Mater Dei)
11 John Gilchrist G 6-3 190 So Virginia Beach, VA
(Salem)
13 Chris McCray G 6-5 183 So Capitol Heights, MD
(Fairmont Heights)
20 Darien Henry F 6-6 200 Jr West Orange, NJ
(Seton Hall Prep)
21 Mike Grinnon F 6-6 216 Jr Oyster Bay, NY
(St. Dominic's)
22 Nik Caner-Medley F 6-8 220 So Portland, ME (Deering)
23 Mike Jones G 6-5 200 Fr Dorchester, MA
(Thayer Academy)
25 Ekene Ibekwe F 6-9 210 Fr Carson, CA (Carson)
31 Will Bowers C 6-11 230 Fr Hanover, MD
(Archbishop Spalding)
54 Hassan Fofana F 6-10 290 Fr Weston, MA (Holy Name)

Head Coach: Gary Williams

From Washington Post

Terps Win 1 Against No. 9
Smith Has 22 Points And Nine Rebounds Against Tar Heels: Maryland 90, North Carolina 84
By Barry Svrluga
Washington Post Staff Writer
Thursday, January 15, 2004; Page D01

They tried refusing to talk about it. They tried talking about it ad nauseum. When you're shooting 58 percent from the free throw line -- as Maryland was -- you're willing to do just about anything.

Those varied approaches just might have paid off last night for the Terrapins, who made 10 of 14 free throws in the final three minutes, enough to squeeze out a 90-84 victory over ninth-ranked North Carolina before 17,950 excited and exhausted fans at Comcast Center.

Center Jamar Smith, the Terps' greatest culprit from the line, even managed to hit 4 of 8 during those crucial moments, en route to a game-high 22 points and nine rebounds. In a game marked by punches and counterpunches, Smith's stellar effort -- which included 14 points in the second half -- reduced his UNC counterpart Sean May into referring to himself as a "little baby."

Maryland point guard John Gilchrist added 20 points and held his own with UNC counterpart Raymond Felton, who scored 16 and had seven assists, but also matched Gilchrist with five turnovers. The Terrapins (10-3, 1-1 ACC) dealt with it all: a ridiculous pace, their previous inadequacies at the line, 22 turnovers forced by UNC's defense, and a group of resilient Tar Heels (10-3, 1-2).

"It's one of those things when two teams are playing well, there's going to be swings in momentum," said Maryland forward Nik Caner-Medley, who scored 17. "Our crowd was great tonight, and really helped us. This was extremely big for us to get. You need to defend your home court, and any time you can get a win against a great team -- and North Carolina is a great team that's extremely hard to stop -- you have to be happy."

Though few wins in January can be considered essential, the Terps badly needed this one, considering what's ahead. Maryland will travel Saturday to No. 12 Georgia Tech, will host second-ranked Duke on Wednesday, and will play at Clemson and at fourth-ranked Wake Forest the following week.

"Our league's that way this year," Coach Gary Williams said. "I don't think anybody's got an easy way to go."

From the opening tip, the pace was nothing short of frantic. This wasn't some sort of guarantee game against the Maryland-Eastern Shores or North Carolina Greensboros of the world. Those pushover opponents were quickly and soundly pushed to Maryland's past.

"I had goose bumps out there," Gilchrist said.

Carolina shot out to a 29-20 lead, Maryland closed to 31-28. The Tar Heels went up 40-30, Maryland clawed back to 45-44. By halftime -- by which time it was hard to catch your breath -- a classic seemed to be developing. UNC led, 49-47.

"We took a punch," Williams said. "Actually, we took a few punches."

Smith, though, showed that his early-season performance -- in which he posted eight double-doubles and led the ACC in rebounding -- wasn't a fluke. May, who outweighs Smith by more than 20 pounds, grew frustrated. He finished with 18 points and nine rebounds, but missed 12 of 19 shots.

"I knew Jamar Smith was good," May said. "He's a great player. He did what he had to do. I didn't. I played like a little baby out there."

Smith anchored a 12-0 Maryland run that featured a dunk by guard Chris McCray for Maryland's first lead since 4-3. With 14 minutes 37 seconds remaining, Smith finished the burst by scoring from the block, and the Terps were up 60-54.

When UNC battled back to 62-61, the Terps ran off seven straight. The game took on a certain Sean Connery, "Untouchables" feel: When they pull a knife, you pull a gun.

Because the Terps couldn't put the game away easily, it came down to those free throws.

"I could say a lot of things -- we had two weeks to get ready," Williams said. "I just told them we were going to make our free throws. Sometimes, that's what it takes. You've just got to stay positive."

With 3:10 left, UNC swingman Rashad McCants nailed a three-pointer, and appropriately, the score was tied at 78. That's when the Terps' parade to the line began. Smith made the second of two, then hit the first of a one-and-one. Travis Garrison hit two, McCray two. The closest the Tar Heels could get was with 3.5 seconds left, when McCants's three-pointer pulled them to 86-84. But McCants then reached over the end line defending the inbounds pass -- a technical foul -- and McCray sank both foul shots.

"It's so big for our confidence," Smith said. "Not just the free throws, but the whole game. We needed this."
Robbynice

Post by Robbynice »

Ol'boy na true you talk. The TERPS rules. :D
Bell

Post by Bell »

FURIOUSLY FRANK

What do you want to know about him?
Bell
furiously frank
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by furiously frank »

Bell: Just to know if he has the same potentials as Okafor....
"That Justice is a blind goddess
Is a thing to which we blacks are wise.
Her bandage hides two festering sores
That once perhaps were eyes."
Langston Hughes, 1923
ofilis
Egg
Egg

Post by ofilis »

FURIOUSLY FRANK :
I have been reading a lot about Ekene Ibekwe since this since started. This is his first year at Maryland. Apparently, he was not projected as a starter when the season started but he has been a pleasant surprise for Maryland coach, Garry William. I believe he posted a double, double two weeks ago.

Ekene is very athletic with good rebounding skills. He is a good all around player. If he keeps it up, a bright future awaits him.
http://www.thetimesofnigeria.com

The Times of Nigeria.
Breaking the news as it happens!
ofilis
Egg
Egg

Post by ofilis »

furiously frank wrote:Bell: Just to know if he has the same potentials as Okafor....
furiously frank:
I don't about same potentials as Okafor but, Coach Williams speaks of him as if he won the lottery.

The Times of Nigeria.
ofilis
Egg
Egg

Post by ofilis »

"The bonus for the Terps: Sophomore Travis Garrison, suddenly a reserve after starting the first 11 games, didn't appear to sulk. He played more minutes than Ibekwe (24-19), buried two late free throws, scored nine points and grabbed six rebounds. "I was happy for Travis," Williams said, "because he's been struggling."

Those struggles, and Garrison's response, could make the Terps better.

"By Ekene stepping up the way he has, it's making us a very deep team," Gilchrist said. "He brings a lot to the table. But then we have Travis coming off the bench, a former starter. So, of course, he's going to be smart and play well, because he had the ability to start in the first place." "

Lifted from Washingpost.com - Friday, January 16, 2004; Page D10

The Times of Nigeria.
ofilis
Egg
Egg

Post by ofilis »

Here is another one.

But Travis Garrison is so much more assertive than he was as a freshman. D.J. Strawberry, while only a freshman, gives some nice minutes off the bench at either guard spot while being completely fearless on defense. And Ekene Ibekwe, a 6-foot-9 freshman from Carson, Calif., has charged his way into the starting lineup. His 11 points and five rebounds in the first half were eye-opening. "He's a humble kid," Caner-Medley said. "He should know [how good he is] but he just works and works . . . He doesn't walk around all cocky. I think the sky's the limit for him."

By Michael Wilbon - Washingtonpost
Thursday, January 15, 2004; Page D01

The Times of Nigeria.
ofilis
Egg
Egg

Post by ofilis »

Terps' Ibekwe Moving Forward

By Barry Svrluga
Washington Post Staff Writer
Tuesday, January 6, 2004; Page D06

As a freshman on Maryland's basketball team, Ekene Ibekwe knows his place so well it's as if he's on the bus with minor league catcher Crash Davis, trekking from town to town, learning how to avoid insights and spew clichés, as Davis taught the boys in the movie "Bull Durham."

"I just try to come out and do what I have to do for the team," Ibekwe said.

The issue, for the Terrapins, is that Ibekwe is beginning to show he can do more and more. With the Terps (8-3) facing their final nonconference game of the season -- tonight against lowly Maryland-Eastern Shore (0-6 prior to last night's game against Howard) -- Ibekwe will get another chance to show his improvement. And as 15 straight ACC games lurk around the corner, he's beginning to move ahead of sophomore Travis Garrison as the Terps' best power forward.

"He can be as good as he wants to be," forward Nik Caner-Medley said. "He doesn't have any limits. If he plays hard and works hard, he can be one of our best players -- this year." The balance is delicate, and the challenge for Coach Gary Williams is to avoid linking Ibekwe's rise with a downfall for Garrison. The two are, in fact, very different players.

Garrison, a 6-foot-8, 236-pounder who played at DeMatha in Hyattsville, has started each of the Terps' 11 games, averaging 6.8 points and 5.0 rebounds. He hit perhaps the Terps' biggest shot of the year -- an 18-foot jumper at then-No. 1 Florida that provided the difference in overtime. But after averaging 23 minutes the first seven games, Garrison has played just 15.8 minutes over the last four. He has, at times, struggled with both confidence and foul trouble.

Garrison is also still making adjustments from high school, where he almost exclusively faced the basket and scored off jump shots. Given the Terps' personnel, Williams needs Garrison to become a polished post player who can score down low.

"He's got to really learn the game at this level if he expects to be a good player," Williams said. "He's got to know how to get open. He's got to have some really good moves inside, as well as knowing how to shoot, which he can do."

As Garrison continues to work on what Williams wants -- "He hasn't shown any signs of quit,"
"I just want to be a presence when I get in the game," Ibekwe said.

The hope is now that he realizes his potential impact, Ibekwe will be a presence on every possession, be it in practice or games.

"What he's done is he's upped his work rate as we've gone on," Williams said. "He used to take a lot of plays off. He's past that now. . . . As he gets comfortable in the offense, he's starting to see chances to score come out of the offense, which for any player is that next step, where you stop thinking about where you should Williams said -- Ibekwe, far more gifted athletically, is starting to do things that can't be ignored. On Dec. 23 against North Carolina Greensboro, the 6-9, 211-pound Ibekwe needed just 15 minutes to score 13 points, grab six rebounds, make two steals and block a shot. Saturday against Mount St. Mary's, he played a season-high 22 minutes, scored nine points on 3-for-3 shooting, snared 10 rebounds, blocked four shots and made two steals. be or what you should do if the ball goes there, and just react to it. I think he's reached that point."

Williams has said he has not thought about changing his starting lineup, and the best result would be for Garrison to be pushed by Ibekwe, and for both to respond positively.

"It's going to be interesting," Williams said. "You don't close anything for [Ibekwe]. He's one of those guys where I'm not sure what his best position is yet."

Terrapins Note: Because students are still on holiday break, tickets remain for tonight's game at Comcast Center. There are unlikely to be any tickets that go unclaimed by students for the rest of the season.
Last edited by ofilis on Fri Jan 16, 2004 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The Times of Nigeria.
Robbynice

Post by Robbynice »

ofilis, that Ibekwe guy is for real oh. I saw the MD/NC game on ESPN. The bobo was all over the place for a freshmen. IMO he is something special.
ofilis
Egg
Egg

Post by ofilis »

Robbynice wrote:ofilis, that Ibekwe guy is for real oh. I saw the MD/NC game on ESPN. The bobo was all over the place for a freshmen. IMO he is something special.
Robbynice:
I agree with you. He is already a starter in his first year! He was brought in to help fill the bench. Can you imagine that? I think he will go places.

The Times of Nigeria.
Bell

Post by Bell »

THERE'S (POSSIBLY) A BETTER PROSPECT IN ARIZONA STATE

His name is Ike Diogu.
Bell
ofilis
Egg
Egg

Post by ofilis »

Bell wrote:THERE'S (POSSIBLY) A BETTER PROSPECT IN ARIZONA STATE

His name is Ike Diogu.
Bell
Bell:
I am yet to see Ike. I will watch out for him.

The Times of Nigeria.
Bell

Post by Bell »

OFILIS, IF IT'S CRITICAL TO YOU...

...I can watch out for their next televised game and dispatch it to your honored self.
Bell
ofilis
Egg
Egg

Post by ofilis »

Bell wrote:OFILIS, IF IT'S CRITICAL TO YOU...

...I can watch out for their next televised game and dispatch it to your honored self.
Bell
Bell:
I will be honored. Please, do.

The Times of Nigeria.
Bell

Post by Bell »

OFILIS

Can you send mailing info via PM?
Bell
BabaNaija
Egg
Egg

Post by BabaNaija »

Does anyone know about that Azubuike boy in University of Kentucky?
I've not been following his game but see him once in a while in the highlights.
ofilis
Egg
Egg

Post by ofilis »

Bell wrote:OFILIS

Can you send mailing info via PM?
Bell

Bell:
I think you boy, Diogu, had a monster game last Saturday.

TEMPE, Ariz. (AP) -- Ike Diogu had 24 points and 15 rebounds, and Stevie Moore and Jamal Hill made crucial free throws near the end to lift Arizona State to an 83-79 win over Oregon State on Saturday night.

Hill had 17 points in the victory, only the Sun Devils' second in eight games. Keith Wooden and Jason Braxton had 12 apiece for Arizona State (8-8, 2-5 Pac-10), which won its sixth straight against the Beavers in Tempe.

David Lucas had a career-high 27 points for Oregon State (8-9, 2-5). Chris Stephens scored 11 and J.S. Nash 10.

The Beavers made up a nine-point deficit in the second half to lead 74-70 with 4:14 left.

Diogu, a preaseason All-American, scored in double figures for the national-high 48th consecutive time, going 16-of-22 from the free-throw line to come within one of the school's record for attempts.

Moore opened an 81-77 lead with his two free thows with 31.6 seconds left. After Nash drove for a dunk, Hill made two with 15.1 seconds to go.

Nash's left-handed bank shot gave the Beavers a 76-73 lead with 2:49 left, but the game turned on a foul by Lucas 24 seconds later, followed by a technical on Kyle Jeffers.

Diogu made only two of the four free throws, but made both when he was fouled by Jeffers with 1:38 to go, and the Sun Devils regained the lead at 77-76.

The Sun Devils were leading 62-55 when Wooden missed the front end of a one-and-one with 9:15 to go.

Oregon State responded with a 13-2 run to take a 68-64 lead with 6:32 to play. Lucas and Jeffers had a basket and two free throws each during the spurt, and Stephens tied the game for the first time at

Lucas had a personal 6-0 run in the first 1:44 of the second half, and Oregon State closed within 43-40.

The Sun Devils surged again, taking a 56-47 lead with 14:08 left on Allen Morill's dunk after Jeffers fell and lost a defensive rebound.

The Sun Devils had two early 10-point leads, both after layups by Braxton. But the Beavers outscored Arizona State 17-11 in a 6:14 span capped by Nash's 3-pointer that lifted the Beavers within 27-23 with 8:00 remaining in the first half.

The Times of Nigeria.