Beckenbauer wants offside rule change

Discuss World Football here. Continental football, International Leagues, and players.
kdk4christ
Egg
Egg
Beckenbauer wants offside rule change

Post by kdk4christ »

Franz Beckenbauer wants Fifa's task force to tackle the offside law and make it simpler for referees to interpret after a weekend of quirky decisions from German match officials.

Beckenbauer is chairman of the Fifa panel that suggests law changes to the board of the world governing body of soccer. The panel meets next week.

"I've put it on the agenda," Beckenbauer told Tuesday's edition of Bild newspaper. "All members of the commission should think about it, so that we can discuss it."

"Offside has become too complicated. We don't have to go back to the stone age of football but to return to a simpler interpretation. The referee should, for example, disallow a goal only when the goalkeeper is clearly hindered by the offside player," Beckenbauer said.

The offside rule, Law 11 of Fifa's Laws of the Game, states that offside must be penalized for "interfering with an opponent," when a player deliberately obstructs a goalkeeper's line of vision or movement or distracts him.

The law also says that "interfering with play," another reason offside must be given, means a player in an offside position actually touches the ball.

In Germany, assistant referees flagged for offside when the offside law had not been broken.

The interpretation of the offside law on whether a player in an offside position should be penalised or not led to several contested decisions over the weekend in the Bundesliga.

Referees disallowed goals for Hannover in a loss to Cologne and for Mainz in a defeat to Augsburg, prompting a debate in the media.

Beckenbauer also proposed doing away with a red card for a player denying an obvious scoring opportunity in the penalty area.

"If it's a harmless foul, a penalty and a yellow card are enough. Red only for brutal attacks. The referee should have some freedom of choice," Beckenbauer said.

Fifa rules stipulate that a red card is mandatory only in case the player brought down is heading toward the goal.

© Sapa - AP
*JESUS LOVES YOU* More Than You Know

"When we die we leave behind us all that we have, and take with us all that we are."
mcal
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle
Re: Beckenbauer wants offside rule change

Post by mcal »

...while there he should table a proposal for red carded player. The offending team should be able to get another player on and may be extend the next match ban to the player. This 11 v 10 no be am.
Kabalega
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Kabalega »

mcal wrote:...while there he should table a proposal for red carded player. The offending team should be able to get another player on and may be extend the next match ban to the player. This 11 v 10 no be am.
The guy was a defender, what do you expect from him. A former striker like Platini will have a different take on things. He will simply advise the Germans to educate and train their officials better.
“If your opponent is of choleric temper, seek to irritate him. Pretend to be weak, that he may grow arrogant.”- Sun Tzu
kofi86
Egg
Egg

Post by kofi86 »

Kabalega wrote:
mcal wrote:...while there he should table a proposal for red carded player. The offending team should be able to get another player on and may be extend the next match ban to the player. This 11 v 10 no be am.
The guy was a defender, what do you expect from him. A former striker like Platini will have a different take on things. He will simply advise the Germans to educate and train their officials better.
Beckenbauer had the Schalke incident on mind. The goalkeeper fouled a striker
"If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!"
Schillachi
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Schillachi »

Like I said before, I don't see why they can't get rid of offsides all together. Matches start with an equal number of players on both sides, so if you allow an opposing player to get behind your defense, na your selenge be dat...
NIGERIAN BADBOY!
kofi86
Egg
Egg

Post by kofi86 »

Schillachi wrote:Like I said before, I don't see why they can't get rid of offsides all together. Matches start with an equal number of players on both sides, so if you allow an opposing player to get behind your defense, na your selenge be dat...
Because it would football make boring again with long balls taking over
"If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!"
mcal
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by mcal »

kofi86 wrote:
Schillachi wrote:Like I said before, I don't see why they can't get rid of offsides all together. Matches start with an equal number of players on both sides, so if you allow an opposing player to get behind your defense, na your selenge be dat...
Because it would football make boring again with long balls taking over
...i remember for high school in naija, a guy refuse to play unless offside is allowed, that is, "a landlord" :lol: :lol: and he's such a good dribbler that the coach and others begged him.
toyin133
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by toyin133 »

kofi86 wrote:
Kabalega wrote:
Beckenbauer had the Schalke incident on mind. The goalkeeper fouled a striker
As someone once said, if he wasn't looking to gain an advantage, what was he doing there?
"I hear Glenn Hoddle has found God. That must have been one hell of a pass." Jasper Carrott
"Mind you, football is not really about winning, or goals, or saves or supporters. It's about glory. It's about doing things in style, doing them with a flourish. It's
about going out to beat the other lot, not waiting for them to die of boredom."
Danny Blanchflower
paj
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by paj »

..there's Rugby for that..
The Brunch Mixtape Project
Available on all major streaming platforms :)
Heliopolis
Egg
Egg

Post by Heliopolis »

FIFA is a dinosaur organization. The same one that refuses to introduce goal line technology or video review even though they could easily introduce both with very little complications.
Catalyst
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Catalyst »

You funny sha.

I will assume this as a joke. :lol:
Christ died for our sins, and was resurrected for our sake. This is indisputable. This is the center of it all.
The earth is not our home.

http://img704.imageshack.us/img704/7711/opaks.gif
http://www.katzy.dsl.pipex.com/Smileys/bsflag.gif
Catalyst
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Catalyst »

Beckenbauer also proposed doing away with a red card for a player denying an obvious scoring opportunity in the penalty area.

"If it's a harmless foul, a penalty and a yellow card are enough. Red only for brutal attacks. The referee should have some freedom of choice," Beckenbauer said.
No to Beckenbauer on this one. Leave it as is for now.

What if it happens outside the box?
Christ died for our sins, and was resurrected for our sake. This is indisputable. This is the center of it all.

Schillachi
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Schillachi »

Catalyst wrote:
You funny sha.

It is not a joke. There are tonnes of sports that do not have the offside rule and they function perfectly. Do we have offsides in basketball? Do we have offsides in American football? What makes soccer so special, that the offside rule is indispensable?
NIGERIAN BADBOY!
mcal
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by mcal »

Schillachi wrote:
Catalyst wrote:
You funny sha.

It is not a joke. There are tonnes of sports that do not have the offside rule and they function perfectly. Do we have offsides in basketball? Do we have offsides in American football? What makes soccer so special, that the offside rule is indispensable?
...yes o, and u get fined by ur team if u commit that.
kofi86
Egg
Egg

Post by kofi86 »

Catalyst wrote:

The other question is what happens when a defender/keeper fouls a striker when he already beat the goalkeeper and will score 99%? You get a yellow and concede a penalty kick. Any player would prefer that over a conceding a goal.
Fourteen
Egg
Egg

Post by Fourteen »

Heliopolis wrote:FIFA is a dinosaur organization. The same one that refuses to introduce goal line technology or video review even though they could easily introduce both with very little complications.
Goal line technology is being tested currently - Next...

Please tell me how you introduce video review WITHOUT impacting football as we know it currently? You may be thinking of clear cut cases where it is easy to tell in a couple of seconds what happened or didnt happen. What about other scenarios that require multiple camera angles to view? - Next!!....
Catalyst
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Catalyst »

kofi86 wrote:
Catalyst wrote:

The other question is what happens when a defender/keeper fouls a striker when he already beat the goalkeeper and will score 99%? You get a yellow and concede a penalty kick. Any player would prefer that over a conceding a goal.
Excatly!

What I was thinking as well. I get the general spirit of what Kaizer is trying to project here but naaaaa, leave that one as is. All rules are not perfect but this one is as good as it gets.

Catalyst
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Catalyst »

Schillachi wrote:
Catalyst wrote:
You funny sha.

American football? = Yes, there is offsides

Basketball? = No. But with regards to scoring there is travelling, goal-tending, etc. Different concept and fundamentals. Just see travelling as equal (or near) offsides. If we remove travelling the game will just go to the dogs.

kofi86
Egg
Egg

Post by kofi86 »

Catalyst wrote:
Schillachi wrote:
Catalyst wrote:
You funny sha.

Basketball? = No. But with regards to scoring there is travelling, goal-tending, etc. Different concept and fundamentals. Just see travelling as equal (or near) offsides. If we remove travelling the game will just go to the dogs.
I would compare it with goal tending. If it wasn't for goal tending, each team would field a giant just below the basket.
If it wasn't for offside, each team would probably field Andy Carrol type of strikers and feet them with long balls
Schillachi
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Schillachi »

kofi86 wrote:
Catalyst wrote:
Schillachi wrote:
Catalyst wrote:
You funny sha.

I would compare it with goal tending. If it wasn't for goal tending, each team would field a giant just below the basket.
If it wasn't for offside, each team would probably field Andy Carrol type of strikers and feet them with long balls

What stops defenders from staying behind the Andy Caroll type strikers and intercepting the long balls?
NIGERIAN BADBOY!
kofi86
Egg
Egg

Post by kofi86 »

Schillachi wrote:
kofi86 wrote:
Catalyst wrote:
Schillachi wrote:
Catalyst wrote:
You funny sha.

What stops defenders from staying behind the Andy Caroll type strikers and intercepting the long balls?
It is not what stops them, but what do we want to see :!:
Schillachi
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Schillachi »

I still haven't gotten a satisfactory answer to this question :lol:
NIGERIAN BADBOY!
EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA »

They should get rid of the goalie and replace them with a deep deep goal line playmaker. Walahi e go we will win the WC pronto since we can’t seem to find a good one on the regular. :taunt:
OCCUPY NFF!!