Cybereagles

The Undisputed Number One Home for All Super Eagles Fans
It is currently Tue Nov 12, 2019 1:06 pm

All times are UTC + 1 hour




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 50 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Author Message
PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 3:39 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Dec 22, 2003 11:56 pm
Posts: 11185
In 17 AFCONS this is Nigeria's record:

*16 quarter-finals (i.e. they get to the QF nearly 95% of the time).
*14 times they have finished in the top 3 places (i.e top three 82% of the time).
*7 times they have been in the final.
*They have not failed to qualify for the quarter-finals for over 30 years.

This is some amazing stuff. Reading previous posts on this forum, one would be tempted to think that Nigeria has the footballing record and pedigree of Madagascar.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 4:53 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Oct 03, 2006 2:51 am
Posts: 26785
Nigeria has now equaled Egypt's record of 14 times in the top 4.

Although Nigeria still leads in top 3 finishes.

Nigeria is lagging in top 2 finishes by 1 Final. 1 less than Ghana and Egypt.

If Nigeria defeats Ghana, Nigeria will have won more games at the AFCON than every country in Africa, except for Egypt.

At the conclusion of the ANC 2013, Nigeria will be 4 games away from having played as many games in the ANC as Egypt, although we have played in 5 less tournaments.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 6:46 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Oct 02, 2009 12:04 am
Posts: 9412
wiseone wrote:
In 17 AFCONS this is Nigeria's record:

*16 quarter-finals (i.e. they get to the QF nearly 95% of the time).
*14 times they have finished in the top 3 places (i.e top three 82% of the time).
*7 times they have been in the final.
*They have not failed to qualify for the quarter-finals for over 30 years.

This is some amazing stuff. Reading previous posts on this forum, one would be tempted to think that Nigeria has the footballing record and pedigree of Madagascar.


And most important of all:

2 ACN titles (soon to be 3).

The fact of the matter is Nigeria has been Africa's biggest under-achiever and this is an indisputable fact. It has Africa's largest population, a wealth of talent in Africa and Europe and yet only 2 ACNs.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 6:48 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Oct 02, 2009 12:04 am
Posts: 9412
Tbite wrote:
Nigeria has now equaled Egypt's record of 14 times in the top 4.

Although Nigeria still leads in top 3 finishes.

Nigeria is lagging in top 2 finishes by 1 Final. 1 less than Ghana and Egypt.

If Nigeria defeats Ghana, Nigeria will have won more games at the AFCON than every country in Africa, except for Egypt.

At the conclusion of the ANC 2013, Nigeria will be 4 games away from having played as many games in the ANC as Egypt, although we have played in 5 less tournaments.


Abeg, enough with the moral victories. You are better than that T-Biscuit. All that matters is ACN trophies.

If you are a Burkina Faso, Zambia, Mali, etc then semi-final/final appearances is a big deal. But when you are a perennial challenger like Nigeria, all that matters at the end of the day is one thing and one thing only. Trophies.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 6:54 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jun 29, 2005 1:19 am
Posts: 24959
wiseone wrote:
(apart from Egypt)

In their last 16 AFCON appearances, Nigeria have reached the semi-finals 13 times. They have not failed to qualify for the quarter-final for over 20 years.

Astonishing. :shock:


This is why I had to laugh at those who thought Naija was not going far at this tournament. I laughed so hard!! Betty fhoked up big time when we couldn't go past Quarters in 2008! There is no way an ANC will not feature Nigeria in at least the semis, unless we don't make the tournament or we willingly/unvoluntarily don't want to perform. Take this to the bank!

_________________
DAK TO THE FUTURE...HOT BOYZ...DEM BOYZ...COWBOYZ!!

To be scientifically literate is to empower yourself to know when someone else is full of boolsheet!

Scientifically speaking: ANC Trophies = 3/4 when Br^33 = 0.
***Breda = Br****


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 7:05 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Dec 22, 2003 11:56 pm
Posts: 11185
So does this mean that the AFCON's biggest chokers at the final hurdle are Nigeria? (and not Ivory Coast as everyone says?)

Heliopolis wrote:
wiseone wrote:
In 17 AFCONS this is Nigeria's record:
And most important of all:

2 ACN titles (soon to be 3).

The fact of the matter is Nigeria has been Africa's biggest under-achiever and this is an indisputable fact. It has Africa's largest population, a wealth of talent in Africa and Europe and yet only 2 ACNs.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 7:07 pm 
Offline

Joined: Fri Dec 26, 2003 2:18 pm
Posts: 2213
The best thing about the 90s was the fear we instill in our opponents. Teams $#% in their pants when they need to face the Eagles in the cauldrons of Surulere.

And the best thing about this moment is that the FEAR of Naija is back. Imagine the Malian goalie saying he saw 15 green shirts bearing upon him, or the mixture of joy and FEAR reported in Ouagadougou.

All we need to do on SUnday is SPELL BURKINA -FASO (yes, 11 goals) like we spelt MALI and you will see teams hiding from us during the World Cup qualifiers. Ok lets just score about 5 on sunday


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 7:11 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Oct 02, 2009 12:04 am
Posts: 9412
wiseone wrote:
So does this mean that the AFCON's biggest chokers at the final hurdle are Nigeria? (and not Ivory Coast as everyone says?)

Heliopolis wrote:
wiseone wrote:
In 17 AFCONS this is Nigeria's record:
And most important of all:

2 ACN titles (soon to be 3).

The fact of the matter is Nigeria has been Africa's biggest under-achiever and this is an indisputable fact. It has Africa's largest population, a wealth of talent in Africa and Europe and yet only 2 ACNs.


Nigeria has 8 times the population of CIV and Nigeria has been an African footballing power for the better part of 30 years. CIV have enjoyed success the past 7 years and for a brief period in the early 90s. Given Nigeria's size, wealth, and footballing talent, it's safe to say they are the ACN's greatest underachiever.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 7:18 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jun 29, 2005 1:19 am
Posts: 24959
Heliopolis wrote:
wiseone wrote:
So does this mean that the AFCON's biggest chokers at the final hurdle are Nigeria? (and not Ivory Coast as everyone says?)

Heliopolis wrote:
wiseone wrote:
In 17 AFCONS this is Nigeria's record:
And most important of all:

2 ACN titles (soon to be 3).

The fact of the matter is Nigeria has been Africa's biggest under-achiever and this is an indisputable fact. It has Africa's largest population, a wealth of talent in Africa and Europe and yet only 2 ACNs.


Nigeria has 8 times the population of CIV and Nigeria has been an African footballing power for the better part of 30 years. CIV have enjoyed success the past 7 years and for a brief period in the early 90s. Given Nigeria's size, wealth, and footballing talent, it's safe to say they are the ACN's greatest underachiever.

That you have large population does not equal = more talent. That you have wealth does not equal talent. Other factors come into play.

_________________
DAK TO THE FUTURE...HOT BOYZ...DEM BOYZ...COWBOYZ!!

To be scientifically literate is to empower yourself to know when someone else is full of boolsheet!

Scientifically speaking: ANC Trophies = 3/4 when Br^33 = 0.
***Breda = Br****


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 7:19 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Dec 22, 2003 11:56 pm
Posts: 11185
Good to hear from a non-Nigerian on this forum. I like to see how Nigeria is perceived by others. I do wonder though - what would Nigeria have done in the 1996 and 1998 AFCONs had they been allowed to compete? The way they casually brushed aside previous two-time finalists South Africa (who were widely regarded as the best team in Nigeria's absence) in 2000, suggests that it would have taken horror refereeing or a massive injury crisis to stop Nigeria from winning the 96 and 98 tournaments.

Abacha really hurt Nigerian football and set it back several years. It is a tragedy that players like Okocha, Oliseh, George, Amokachi and Amunike have only 1 AFCON medal (Kanu, West, and Babangida have none!).

Heliopolis wrote:
wiseone wrote:
So does this mean that the AFCON's biggest chokers at the final hurdle are Nigeria? (and not Ivory Coast as everyone says?)

Heliopolis wrote:
wiseone wrote:
In 17 AFCONS this is Nigeria's record:
And most important of all:

2 ACN titles (soon to be 3).

The fact of the matter is Nigeria has been Africa's biggest under-achiever and this is an indisputable fact. It has Africa's largest population, a wealth of talent in Africa and Europe and yet only 2 ACNs.


Nigeria has 8 times the population of CIV and Nigeria has been an African footballing power for the better part of 30 years. CIV have enjoyed success the past 7 years and for a brief period in the early 90s. Given Nigeria's size, wealth, and footballing talent, it's safe to say they are the ACN's greatest underachiever.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 7:19 pm 
Offline

Joined: Fri Dec 26, 2003 2:18 pm
Posts: 2213
Heliopolis wrote:
wiseone wrote:
So does this mean that the AFCON's biggest chokers at the final hurdle are Nigeria? (and not Ivory Coast as everyone says?)

Heliopolis wrote:
wiseone wrote:
In 17 AFCONS this is Nigeria's record:
And most important of all:

2 ACN titles (soon to be 3).

The fact of the matter is Nigeria has been Africa's biggest under-achiever and this is an indisputable fact. It has Africa's largest population, a wealth of talent in Africa and Europe and yet only 2 ACNs.


Nigeria has 8 times the population of CIV and Nigeria has been an African footballing power for the better part of 30 years. CIV have enjoyed success the past 7 years and for a brief period in the early 90s. Given Nigeria's size, wealth, and footballing talent, it's safe to say they are the ACN's greatest underachiever.


So what would you say about Ethiopia - the 2nd most populous country in Africa?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 7:33 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jan 28, 2004 10:43 pm
Posts: 12332
Location: minneapolis, USA
NIGERIA IS A FOOTBALLING POWERHOUSE IN AFRICA ENOUGH SAID. No team in Africa is as consistent has Nigeria.

_________________
Just because cat sabi swim no mean say him be catfish - M.I


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2019 2:21 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Dec 22, 2003 11:56 pm
Posts: 11185
2019 Update:

*18 AFCONs
*15 semi-final appearances
*17 quarter-final appearances


wiseone wrote:
In 17 AFCONS this is Nigeria's record:

*16 quarter-finals (i.e. they get to the QF nearly 95% of the time).
*14 times they have finished in the top 3 places (i.e top three 82% of the time).
*7 times they have been in the final.
*They have not failed to qualify for the quarter-finals for over 30 years.

This is some amazing stuff. Reading previous posts on this forum, one would be tempted to think that Nigeria has the footballing record and pedigree of Madagascar.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2019 2:54 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jul 18, 2006 5:59 pm
Posts: 37135
Haba Naija has 3 ANC not 2,where did you guys get that from?1980,1994 and 2013.
Naija should have had like 7 ANC,3 is too small,i am more worried SE yet to win world cup or be in last 4 of world cup consistent.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2019 2:58 pm 
Offline
Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jul 01, 2006 12:27 pm
Posts: 8131
kajifu wrote:
Haba Naija has 3 ANC not 2,where did you guys get that from?1980,1994 and 2013.
Naija should have had like 7 ANC,3 is too small,i am more worried SE yet to win world cup or be in last 4 of world cup consistent.


See the date of the posts you are complaining about.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2019 3:27 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Dec 22, 2003 11:56 pm
Posts: 11185
:rotf:

aruako1 wrote:
kajifu wrote:
Haba Naija has 3 ANC not 2,where did you guys get that from?1980,1994 and 2013.
Naija should have had like 7 ANC,3 is too small,i am more worried SE yet to win world cup or be in last 4 of world cup consistent.


See the date of the posts you are complaining about.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2019 3:28 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Feb 18, 2004 5:25 pm
Posts: 13565
Location: ODODOBIOBIO CONSTITUENCY
aruako1 wrote:
kajifu wrote:
Haba Naija has 3 ANC not 2,where did you guys get that from?1980,1994 and 2013.
Naija should have had like 7 ANC,3 is too small,i am more worried SE yet to win world cup or be in last 4 of world cup consistent.


See the date of the posts you are complaining about.



This is one of the reasons why Nigerians fail exams :woot: no critical observation!!! :biggrin:

_________________
"BIAFRA is a FAILED Project!! "Biafranism tends to make people hard of intellectual hearing"-ohsee.
!

"the problem with you people is that you want every thing to be Igbo and you pronounce it Igbo and then force it to be Igbo" IKWERREMAN
"The trouble with you is that you are blinded by prejudice and only see what you want to see." CIC to Dr. SAB
"..there are a handful of mindless Igbos on this forum that are an embarrassment to themselves"CiC


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2019 8:16 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Dec 22, 2003 5:51 pm
Posts: 13784
Tbite ooooooo. Thank God for the ANC


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2019 9:09 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Dec 08, 2004 5:32 pm
Posts: 31105
When you also lump in all other age related and female football at every level, Nigeria is unrivalled in African football.

_________________
Super Eagles - Fly Above The Storm!!!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2019 9:44 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Dec 23, 2003 10:03 pm
Posts: 3652
Location: The WINDY City
Senator WIRES wrote:
aruako1 wrote:
kajifu wrote:
Haba Naija has 3 ANC not 2,where did you guys get that from?1980,1994 and 2013.
Naija should have had like 7 ANC,3 is too small,i am more worried SE yet to win world cup or be in last 4 of world cup consistent.


See the date of the posts you are complaining about.



This is one of the reasons why Nigerians fail exams :woot: no critical observation!!! :biggrin:

:rotf:

_________________
A Person convinced against his will is of the same opinion still.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2019 10:02 pm 
Offline
Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Tue Dec 23, 2003 5:57 pm
Posts: 40543
Location: UK
pajimoh wrote:
When you also lump in all other age related and female football at every level, Nigeria is unrivalled in African football.
Which is exactly the reason why w should be competing favourably on the world stage.

_________________
"Ole kuku ni gbogbo wọn "


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2019 9:33 am 
Offline
Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jul 01, 2006 12:27 pm
Posts: 8131
Senator WIRES wrote:
aruako1 wrote:
kajifu wrote:
Haba Naija has 3 ANC not 2,where did you guys get that from?1980,1994 and 2013.
Naija should have had like 7 ANC,3 is too small,i am more worried SE yet to win world cup or be in last 4 of world cup consistent.


See the date of the posts you are complaining about.



This is one of the reasons why Nigerians fail exams :woot: no critical observation!!! :biggrin:


It might just mean that he has a job and didn't have time to spot the error.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2019 10:59 am 
Offline
Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Fri Apr 30, 2004 1:41 pm
Posts: 9824
We want more AFCON trophies, not consistency. If you've been that consistent it means you've been underachieving with only 3 trophies.

_________________
"I Think, Therefore I am" - Rene Descartes


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 50 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

All times are UTC + 1 hour


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 29 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group