@ COACH: Lets talk Tactics!

Discuss World Football here. Continental football, International Leagues, and players.
Coach
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: @ COACH: Lets talk ManU vs Madrid!

Post by Coach »

txj wrote:
Coach wrote:@Fela, cant argue with that. Modric's strike was out of the blue. Would've made for a grand finale had they switched it a bit, but to be fair, the pressure they put Real under was ridiculous. Ri-diculous. Ferguson is light years ahead of the rest, light years! Alonso, shutdown, Ronaldo, shutdown, Ozil, shutdown....and the likes of Wenger are struggling with Dembele. Not even picked from the same cotton field, let alone cut from the same cloth.
:rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:
But for one's love of its gusto and physicality, the EPL is shite bros, tame and unimaginative, with a flock of followers and few thinkers. Look at the nonsense Wenger tried against Bayern, criminal. No thought, no strategy, just 11 men out there having a kick about with their mates. There are coaches in Spain, Italy, Germany who make these guys look like truants from the same school.
Last edited by Coach on Wed Mar 06, 2013 8:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
txj
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by txj »

Coach wrote:@Fela, cant argue with that. Modric's strike was out of the blue. Would've made for a grand finale had they switched it a bit, but to be fair, the pressure they put Real under was ridiculous. Ri-diculous. Ferguson is light years ahead of the rest, light years! Alonso, shutdown, Ronaldo, shutdown, Ozil, shutdown....and the likes of Wenger are struggling with Dembele. Not even picked from the same cotton field, let alone cut from the same cloth.

I hold the view that Modric's strik was coming given the time and space he was afforded!

Just like u knew Smoking Joe was headed in one direction, as Cosell himself captured it- down goes Frazier!

down goes Frazier!
down goes Frazier!
down goes Frazier!
Form is temporary; Class is Permanent!
Liverpool, European Champions 2005.

We watched this very boring video, 500 times, of Sacchi doing defensive drills, using sticks and without the ball, with Maldini, Baresi and Albertini. We used to think before then that if the other players are better, you have to lose. After that we learned anything is possible – you can beat better teams by using tactics." Jurgen Klopp
Coach
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Coach »

@Tx, maybe, but the manner in which it came was unpredictable. United had covered up, forced the angle too wide for a sweet connection and then...boom!
furiously frank
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by furiously frank »

txj wrote:Thanks to the weather I can talk!

The oxygen has been entirely sucked up by the Nani red card. While that decision was significant in determining the eventual outcome of the match, I am intrigued and more interested in Ferguson's actions or lack thereof following the sending off.

1. First a little background. Up until the RC and once it settled down from about the 15min United had controlled this game, and had the right balance.

2. By dropping Wellbeck into the area Alonso plays in, they had shackled the Basque player and his frustration was visible! Without Alonso's influence, Madrid lacked the fluency and cuttin edge to hurt MU, with CR7 on the preiphery shooting from distance.

3. Nani was sent off in the 56min. It would be 73mins b/4 the 1st sub, Rooney, 17mins later. The Madrid goals came on 66 and 69mins, 10-13mins after the RC.

4. During this period, Ferguson remonstrated with the refs, expectedly. He then worked on rousing the crowd. On the field, United was like a boxer reeling against the ropes taking body blows, all haymakers!!!

5. First of all, the ManU bench had Johnny Evans as the only defensive player. All the others were attacking players! Rooney, Young, Kagawa, Valencia. Amazing lack of balance, even understanding the constraints from Jones' injury...

6. IMO, he should've subbed Evra (who was on YC anyways) since he had Giggs and gone to a 3-man backline. Why?

7. Madrid had lost their main wideplayer, Di Maria, and typically use CR7 to attack diagonally. In otherwords, u can afford to give up the flanks and make it secondary in ur coverage piorities, and focus on shoring up the cntral defence and center of MF with Kagawa (or Young or Valencia) in a deep position to limit space for Modric, with Giggs covering the left side in the non possession phase. r the other way round with Rafael subbed for Valencia.

In otherwords, a variable 3-4-1-1 (in possession), and 4-3-1-1 (without possession).

8. Then bring on a fresh Rooney to continue to constrain Alonso. Finally attack on the counter behind CR7...

9. My question is what do you think he should've done?
Thanks Txj. YOu are spot on! on all counts, it is hard to fault your analysis.
I have rewatch the match over and over, especially the second half...folks can watch it again on footballorgin...
I think Sir Fergie, lost the plot after that RC. He completely forgot he has to provide technical inputs to ensure victory. He was more interested in riling up the crowd and remonstrating the REfs. This is a lesson to all of us in life. Stuffs will happen, but you cannot because of stuff happened take your eyes off the ball.
I still can't imagine why Modric has so much room to roam. Look again at the 2 goals you will clearly see Modric roaming free...if he was ever challenged at all it is usually after he has received and settle on the ball. No efforts made to spread responsiblity or pick him out.
On the other hand, Jose immediately reacted in a positive way to the RC. he brought in attack minded Modric with specifically instruction to operate on the channel away from CR7, knowing well that ManU appears to have overloaded CR7 side. He was going to bring in a forward Benzema, but asked the dude to go back to the bench and later brought in Pepe after the second goal.
Moral: YOu may have the best plan, but your best plan may not survive contact with the enemy. You have to be proactive, ready to cast aside emotional reaction and pursue your goal. Compare to Chelsea's reaction last year to JT send off, ManU and their bench were way too juvenile in their approach...
"That Justice is a blind goddess
Is a thing to which we blacks are wise.
Her bandage hides two festering sores
That once perhaps were eyes."
Langston Hughes, 1923
cchinukw
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by cchinukw »

Apart from a few flashes of brilliance and the red card incident this match billed in the media as the footballing event of the year was as exciting as a game of cricket - a borefest.

I much prefer to discuss the brilliance of the Europa League game between Liverpool and Zenit St. Petersburg.
MAGA - Make Arsenal Great Again.

Mind that father made collection of Scifi and fantasy stories
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Mind-That-Father-Made/dp/1907652051
furiously frank
Eaglet
Eaglet

txj wrote:

I hold the view that Modric's strik was coming given the time and space he was afforded!

Just like u knew Smoking Joe was headed in one direction, as Cosell himself captured it- down goes Frazier!

down goes Frazier!
down goes Frazier!
down goes Frazier!
I had not seen this post when I made my last post. The space and time afforded a substituted player that came in and changed the game speaks a lot more about the coaching than the team generally.
Langston Hughes, 1923
txj
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by txj »

Coach wrote:@Tx, maybe, but the manner in which it came was unpredictable. United had covered up, forced the angle too wide for a sweet connection and then...boom!

Shot may have been unpredictable, but certainly not his control of the game. When Foreman shuffled towards Frazier's right, and Joe backed off, you cannot claim Miss Cleo as excuse for not seeing the inevitable haymaker :rotf: :rotf:

We watched this very boring video, 500 times, of Sacchi doing defensive drills, using sticks and without the ball, with Maldini, Baresi and Albertini. We used to think before then that if the other players are better, you have to lose. After that we learned anything is possible – you can beat better teams by using tactics." Jurgen Klopp
Coach
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Coach »

Just typed Miss Cleo into the Google search engine...

...Y'all need Jesus!
txj
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by txj »

:rotf: :rotf: :rotf:

BTW whatever happened to Scholes and Anderson?

felarey
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by felarey »

furiously frank wrote:

The oxygen has been entirely sucked up by the Nani red card. While that decision was significant in determining the eventual outcome of the match, I am intrigued and more interested in Ferguson's actions or lack thereof following the sending off.

1. First a little background. Up until the RC and once it settled down from about the 15min United had controlled this game, and had the right balance.

2. By dropping Wellbeck into the area Alonso plays in, they had shackled the Basque player and his frustration was visible! Without Alonso's influence, Madrid lacked the fluency and cuttin edge to hurt MU, with CR7 on the preiphery shooting from distance.

3. Nani was sent off in the 56min. It would be 73mins b/4 the 1st sub, Rooney, 17mins later. The Madrid goals came on 66 and 69mins, 10-13mins after the RC.

4. During this period, Ferguson remonstrated with the refs, expectedly. He then worked on rousing the crowd. On the field, United was like a boxer reeling against the ropes taking body blows, all haymakers!!!

5. First of all, the ManU bench had Johnny Evans as the only defensive player. All the others were attacking players! Rooney, Young, Kagawa, Valencia. Amazing lack of balance, even understanding the constraints from Jones' injury...

6. IMO, he should've subbed Evra (who was on YC anyways) since he had Giggs and gone to a 3-man backline. Why?

7. Madrid had lost their main wideplayer, Di Maria, and typically use CR7 to attack diagonally. In otherwords, u can afford to give up the flanks and make it secondary in ur coverage piorities, and focus on shoring up the cntral defence and center of MF with Kagawa (or Young or Valencia) in a deep position to limit space for Modric, with Giggs covering the left side in the non possession phase. r the other way round with Rafael subbed for Valencia.

In otherwords, a variable 3-4-1-1 (in possession), and 4-3-1-1 (without possession).

8. Then bring on a fresh Rooney to continue to constrain Alonso. Finally attack on the counter behind CR7...

I have rewatch the match over and over, especially the second half...folks can watch it again on footballorgin...
I think Sir Fergie, lost the plot after that RC. He completely forgot he has to provide technical inputs to ensure victory. He was more interested in riling up the crowd and remonstrating the REfs. This is a lesson to all of us in life. Stuffs will happen, but you cannot because of stuff happened take your eyes off the ball.I still can't imagine why Modric has so much room to roam. Look again at the 2 goals you will clearly see Modric roaming free...if he was ever challenged at all it is usually after he has received and settle on the ball. No efforts made to spread responsiblity or pick him out.
On the other hand, Jose immediately reacted in a positive way to the RC. he brought in attack minded Modric with specifically instruction to operate on the channel away from CR7, knowing well that ManU appears to have overloaded CR7 side. He was going to bring in a forward Benzema, but asked the dude to go back to the bench and later brought in Pepe after the second goal.
Moral: YOu may have the best plan, but your best plan may not survive contact with the enemy. You have to be proactive, ready to cast aside emotional reaction and pursue your goal. Compare to Chelsea's reaction last year to JT send off, ManU and their bench were way too juvenile in their approach...
Chief, dis na just football matters o. :) Life lesson ke.. Just a game. Anyway I get you, the guys needed the crowd to psyche them up, he had to use home advantage at that point. There was only one strike in the world that could do them in and Modric had it.
"Winning one trophy is good, I tell you. No matter what trophy it might be, you've got to take it.” - Sir Alex Ferguson

ENGLISH PREMIERSHIP CHAMP20NS, UEFA CHAMPIONS LEAGUE WINN3RS
felarey
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by felarey »

cchinukw wrote:Apart from a few flashes of brilliance and the red card incident this match billed in the media as the footballing event of the year was as exciting as a game of cricket - a borefest.

I much prefer to discuss the brilliance of the Europa League game between Liverpool and Zenit St. Petersburg.
Were you expecting a pass pass game? You missed a lot if you were expecting end to end stuff. It was a very tactical game and the stakes were high. You have to think of the strenghts of the players, then the observe the plans to nullify them. I agree it's not like watching Barca.
"Winning one trophy is good, I tell you. No matter what trophy it might be, you've got to take it.” - Sir Alex Ferguson

ENGLISH PREMIERSHIP CHAMP20NS, UEFA CHAMPIONS LEAGUE WINN3RS
anointed
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by anointed »

I told friends at the office today that Man Utd deserved to lose after the red card cos Sir Alex failed to react while Jose's reaction was instantaneous.
txj
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by txj »

felarey wrote:
cchinukw wrote:Apart from a few flashes of brilliance and the red card incident this match billed in the media as the footballing event of the year was as exciting as a game of cricket - a borefest.

Were you expecting a pass pass game? You missed a lot if you were expecting end to end stuff. It was a very tactical game and the stakes were high. You have to think of the strenghts of the players, then the observe the plans to nullify them. I agree it's not like watching Barca.

I thought it was a top game...

BTW what happened to scholes and anderson; are they both injured?

kajifu
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by kajifu »

Coach wrote:Just typed Miss Cleo into the Google search engine...

...Y'all need Jesus!
Ago die laugh my belle
zoro
Egg
Egg

Post by zoro »

Well. I am a man U hater but I found myself supporting them that night because I hate Jose M more than I hate Man U. My problem with fergie that night is how he waited for so long to make changes after the Red card.
IGBOS ARE THE IMPORTANT AND USEFUL SLAVES OF NIGERIA. THEY HAVE A CHOICE TO MAKE.
furiously frank
Eaglet
Eaglet

felarey wrote:
furiously frank wrote:

I think Sir Fergie, lost the plot after that RC. He completely forgot he has to provide technical inputs to ensure victory. He was more interested in riling up the crowd and remonstrating the REfs. This is a lesson to all of us in life. Stuffs will happen, but you cannot because of stuff happened take your eyes off the ball.I still can't imagine why Modric has so much room to roam. Look again at the 2 goals you will clearly see Modric roaming free...if he was ever challenged at all it is usually after he has received and settle on the ball. No efforts made to spread responsiblity or pick him out.
Chief, dis na just football matters o. :) Life lesson ke.. Just a game. Anyway I get you, the guys needed the crowd to psyche them up, he had to use home advantage at that point. There was only one strike in the world that could do them in and Modric had it.
:???: dont mind me...i 've been working on a book: Life Greatest lessons :D
Langston Hughes, 1923
Ugbowo
Egg
Egg

Post by Ugbowo »

I know say dem nor call my name but make i tafia small do amebor inside......

Here is the deal....or at least what i think or thought was the deal......

Sir Alex came to this second leg the same way he approached the 2nd half of the first leg....to completely NULLIFY any counter attacking opportunities for Madrid while also setting himself up to spring a counter or two. He did not "sit deep" or "park the bus" as ppl are alluding...instead what i saw him do was the same exact thing Milan and Madrid did to Barca...they boxed them in the midfield.

He had BODIES in the middle...somewhere right behind the center circle lied Cleverly Carrick (a lil deeper), Gigga and Nani tucked in with Welbeck as the spearhead sort of on Alonso. What this did was shut down vertical passing lanes for Alonso to Mesut and closed down on the wings whenever the ball managed to get to Christiano or Angel Di Maria. Madrid was not going anywhere for the first 15 mins and Ronaldo and Angel kept coming infield to more bodies to search for the ball.

Mourinho saw this and reacted first. He switched Di Maria to the left and initally asked Ronaldo to play on the right. I believe he wanted more attack down the wings considering Man U had the middle of the field clogged up with nowhere to go and Higuain starved of service. Madrid looked a little lively after this but then two things happened....Di Maria got injured and Ronaldo's tactical indsicipline meant he became a "free" player and Ozil/Khedira kept picking up the slack for him on the right side of the field. Kaka came in and Madrid switched to a striaght 4-4-2 with Ronnie playing centrally with Higuain and Kaka and Ozil in front of Khedira and Alonso in a square/rectangular shaped midfield formation. The game kinda went into a lull as Madrid's tactical reshuffle had not lasted long enuf to show any effects.

Then came the "DECISION".

I wont go into right or wrong but ill talk about what happened after.

Fergie saw this as injustice and Mou saw an opportunity. The planned Benzema for the then ineffective Higuain sub was scraped and on came Modric. Welbeck had been dropped back as a full time midfielder thus relieving him off his man marking duties on Alonso. Alonso's first pass was no longer to an offensively challenged Khedira but to a "playmaker" in Modric. Man U did not pick Modric up. All of a sudden Kaka/Ozil started seeing space too. Modric was making ALL the right runs/passes. Madrid was a different team.

Me personally, my first sub would have been Valencia for RVP. Leave the tireless and speedy Welbeck as my frontman and have Giggs Cleverly Carrick and Valencia in a 4 man midfield. We would conitune to zonally deny Madrid space and someone would have definitely picked up Modric.

But as someone mentioned earlier, the human aspect of things took over and Man U's players lost concentration and allowed Madrid back in the game. Modric took 2-3 touches before scoring and Ronnie came in unmarked at the far post....those r lapses in concentration.

2-1

At this point Mou saw no need to chase and introduced Pepe for Ozil and went back to his tried and trusted 4-2-3-1. But then Madrid could no longer hold possession as Fergie had introduced an attacking Rooney and forced the game to be played on Madrid's half of the field. Madrid was very dangerous on the counter though through Ronnie and Kaka and the very very effective Modric.

It was a beautiful game of tactical back and forth and each manager proved their worth. Jose dictated how d game was going to go after the red and fergie made the wrong subs at the wrong moment. Still a brilliant game.....
txj
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by txj »

Ugbowo wrote:I know say dem nor call my name but make i tafia small do amebor inside......

Sir Alex came to this second leg the same way he approached the 2nd half of the first leg....to completely NULLIFY any counter attacking opportunities for Madrid while also setting himself up to spring a counter or two. He did not "sit deep" or "park the bus" as ppl are alluding...instead what i saw him do was the same exact thing Milan and Madrid did to Barca...they boxed them in the midfield.

He had BODIES in the middle...somewhere right behind the center circle lied Cleverly Carrick (a lil deeper), Gigga and Nani tucked in with Welbeck as the spearhead sort of on Alonso. What this did was shut down vertical passing lanes for Alonso to Mesut and closed down on the wings whenever the ball managed to get to Christiano or Angel Di Maria. Madrid was not going anywhere for the first 15 mins and Ronaldo and Angel kept coming infield to more bodies to search for the ball.

Mourinho saw this and reacted first. He switched Di Maria to the left and initally asked Ronaldo to play on the right. I believe he wanted more attack down the wings considering Man U had the middle of the field clogged up with nowhere to go and Higuain starved of service. Madrid looked a little lively after this but then two things happened....Di Maria got injured and Ronaldo's tactical indsicipline meant he became a "free" player and Ozil/Khedira kept picking up the slack for him on the right side of the field. Kaka came in and Madrid switched to a striaght 4-4-2 with Ronnie playing centrally with Higuain and Kaka and Ozil in front of Khedira and Alonso in a square/rectangular shaped midfield formation. The game kinda went into a lull as Madrid's tactical reshuffle had not lasted long enuf to show any effects.

Fergie saw this as injustice and Mou saw an opportunity. The planned Benzema for the then ineffective Higuain sub was scraped and on came Modric. Welbeck had been dropped back as a full time midfielder thus relieving him off his man marking duties on Alonso. Alonso's first pass was no longer to an offensively challenged Khedira but to a "playmaker" in Modric. Man U did not pick Modric up. All of a sudden Kaka/Ozil started seeing space too. Modric was making ALL the right runs/passes. Madrid was a different team.

Me personally, my first sub would have been Valencia for RVP. Leave the tireless and speedy Welbeck as my frontman and have Giggs Cleverly Carrick and Valencia in a 4 man midfield. We would conitune to zonally deny Madrid space and someone would have definitely picked up Modric.

But as someone mentioned earlier, the human aspect of things took over and Man U's players lost concentration and allowed Madrid back in the game. Modric took 2-3 touches before scoring and Ronnie came in unmarked at the far post....those r lapses in concentration.

2-1

At this point Mou saw no need to chase and introduced Pepe for Ozil and went back to his tried and trusted 4-2-3-1. But then Madrid could no longer hold possession as Fergie had introduced an attacking Rooney and forced the game to be played on Madrid's half of the field. Madrid was very dangerous on the counter though through Ronnie and Kaka and the very very effective Modric.

It was a beautiful game of tactical back and forth and each manager proved their worth. Jose dictated how d game was going to go after the red and fergie made the wrong subs at the wrong moment. Still a brilliant game.....

Thanks for the contribution. Good summation...

@ wanajho this is what informed football fans do. It doesn't mean they wanna be coaches. It means they like to exchange ideas and improve their knowledge of the game, thus making them more informed followers.

Its hard to find anything to question about SAF's decisions in either leg until those missing 17mins.

I wouldn't have subbed RVP, but one of the fullbacks, Rafael (for Valencia) or Evra (for Kagawa or Young). Then push Cleverly (or Kagawa) a little forward to pick up Modric.

It was the complete failure to account for Modric that was the ruin of United....left them reeling on the ropes as Jose landed haymaker after haymaker :rotf: :rotf:

furiously frank
Eaglet
Eaglet

txj wrote:
Ugbowo wrote:I know say dem nor call my name but make i tafia small do amebor inside......

2-1

@ wanajho this is what informed football fans do. It doesn't mean they wanna be coaches. It means they like to exchange ideas and improve their knowledge of the game, thus making them more informed followers.

Its hard to find anything to question about SAF's decisions in either leg until those missing 17mins.

I wouldn't have subbed RVP, but one of the fullbacks, Rafael (for Valencia) or Evra (for Kagawa or Young). Then push Cleverly (or Kagawa) a little forward to pick up Modric.

It was the complete failure to account for Modric that was the ruin of United....left them reeling on the ropes as Jose landed haymaker after haymaker :rotf: :rotf:
I get you.
The only thing left now is an acknowledgement by you, for once, i begi, that Jose is a better technical genius than your man: Benitez :taunt: :taunt:
Langston Hughes, 1923
Coach
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Coach »

@Tx, yes, Joe can tender Miss Cleo as a plausible explanation for his failure to see the onrushing right hand. One will assume that many a man has been entranced by her ample offering and not seen the frontdoor open and their wives step in.
txj
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by txj »

furiously frank wrote:
txj wrote:

2-1

I get you.
The only thing left now is an acknowledgement by you, for once, i begi, that Jose is a better technical genius than your man: Benitez :taunt: :taunt:

Its widely known in football that Jose's greatest contribution to football so far is from his influence on the human element rather than mere Xs and Os...

Besides, the Benitez thing is over stated on CE. He has only just returned to football and in a setup that makes him not worthy of serious attention...But in the games that mattered most, he beat Jose :wink:

Coach
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Coach »

@BeniTX, to evolve debate, how would you counter a 4-2-3-1, tactically? The colloquialism of going like for like, leaves teams relying more on the capacity of the individual than the nous of the manager. There have been many permutations proposed, it remains to be see whether these strategies become consensus.
txj
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by txj »

Coach wrote:@BeniTX, to evolve debate, how would you counter a 4-2-3-1, tactically? The colloquialism of going like for like, leaves teams relying more on the capacity of the individual than the nous of the manager. There have been many permutations proposed, it remains to be see whether these strategies become consensus.

I have always liked the idea of a flexible 3-4-3 as a counter to create an overflow vis a vis the '2' as well as the '3'...