SIR ALEX FERGUSON's ALL TIME BEST XI

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Cristao II
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: SIR ALEX FERGUSON's ALL TIME BEST IX

Post by Cristao II »

asabe wrote:
anointed wrote:I was on a radio show earlier today and I was asked this tough question that made me felt like in an exam hall answering my worst subject: accounting. It was really tough cos so many great players must be left out. I even left out Scholes for David Beckham but I've reconsidered and I might still even reconsider some.

1. Peter Schmeichel
2. Gary Neville
3. Patrice Evra
4. Rio Ferdinand
5. Jaap Stam
6. Roy Keane
7. Cristiano Ronaldo
8. Paul Scholes
9. Rudd Van Nistelrooy
10. Eric Cantona
11. Ryan Giggs
Top squad. Only person missing is Bryan Robson, but I am sure if I can to drop Keane/Scholes. I have seen some saying that Irwin benches Evra, for me that is a joke. Evra is one of the top leftback in the world for many years, and earns the spot.
Irwin was a better servant for Utd than Evra. He could play either RB or LB, was adept at setpieces be it freekicks or penalties. Stopped playing for Utd at age 36 after 12 years of loyal service. Attacking wise - the gap was so wide, Evra scored 7 goals in 326 appearances. Irwin scored 33 goals in 529 appearances.
"Will we next create false gods to rule over us? How proud have we become, and how blind."

Primary: Lenovo Y410p: i5-4200M | 2GB Nvidia GT755M | 16GB DDR3L | 1000GB SSD | N2230 | LG24MP76 - Windows 10 64-Bit
Secondary: Dell Inspirion 1545: Core2Duo | 4GB RAM | 320GB 5400RPM - Linux Mint Cinnamon
Tertiary: Lenovo Legion 5 Pro: Ryzen 7 5800H | 32GB DDR4 | 2000GB SSD | 8GB NVidia RTX3070 - Windows 11 Pro
HTC U11+ - Xiaomi Mi8
Metho scorpion
Egg
Egg

Post by Metho scorpion »

anointed wrote:
tfco wrote:
shaq wrote:Best IX ? really? :lol:

Are you sure accounting was your worst subject? What number does IX translate to again ? :sneaky: :tic.:
no mind am

which one be IX lol
And your best IX is...
1. Majoring
2. On
3. The
4. Minor
5. And
6. Minoring
7. On
8. The
9. Major
... :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: ...nw I know you r anointed...a true and clean back hand slap...hahahhaaaa...
tfco
Eagle
Eagle
Re: SIR ALEX FERGUSON's ALL TIME BEST XI

Post by tfco »

anointed wrote:
cic old boy wrote:Surely there must be a place for Howard Webb.
Certainly. It's all over your blog on the web.
:rotf: :rotf:

AFCON 2024 L-O-S-E-R-S

They did not CEDIS coming
Naira Did We :rotf: :rotf:

cic old boy
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by cic old boy »

anointed wrote:Certainly. It's all over your blog on the web.
He's not on my blog, but Howard is all over the Webb with his Manure team-mates.
http://www.naijiant.com/
wiseone
Eaglet
Eaglet
Greatest XI of the Alex Ferguson Era

Post by wiseone »

GK - Schmeichel
RB - Gary Neville
CB - Jaap Stam
CB - Paul McGrath
LB - Denis Irwin
M - Beckham
M - Bryan Robson (c)
M - Roy Keane
LW - Ryan Giggs
CF - Ruud Van Nisteelrooy
RW - Ronaldo

Honourable mentions: Paul Scholes, Mark Hughes, Nemanja Vidic, Edwin Van der Sar, Paul Ince
Goldleaf
Egg
Egg

Post by Goldleaf »

No room for Djemba-Djemba, Kleberson and Massimo Taibi? Fergie was human after all.
oloye
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by oloye »

papparassi Sport wrote:for me Vidic ahead of Stam.
Please do not insult Stam...you cannot compare Vidic with Stam. Vidic is so limited you only need to flash your teeth at him, he would quickly turn and pass the ball back to the keeper. Geez memory na wicked thing. YOu cannot compare Stam and Vidic abeg. Vidic is a good defender a massively good defender. But Jaap was a defender + more. By the way I am a defender i played like Vidic in my own time, but i wish i could play like Stam. Look at Rio, then fuse Vidic into Rio , you have a complete image of Jaap Stam.
"There is big pressure at this club as you cannot be like the manager at Arsenal and ask for five years to try and to win one trophy" - Jose Mourinho

.... I believe in God. I try to be a good man so He can have a bit of time to give me a hand when I need it - Jose Mourinho
mastermind
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: Greatest XI of the Alex Ferguson Era

Post by mastermind »

Andrew Cole
http://www.melangeGO.com/
A family oriented online fashion store. Offering high quality products at low cost.
Cristao II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Cristao II »

oloye wrote:
papparassi Sport wrote:for me Vidic ahead of Stam.
Please do not insult Stam...you cannot compare Vidic with Stam. Vidic is so limited you only need to flash your teeth at him, he would quickly turn and pass the ball back to the keeper. Geez memory na wicked thing. YOu cannot compare Stam and Vidic abeg. Vidic is a good defender a massively good defender. But Jaap was a defender + more. By the way I am a defender i played like Vidic in my own time, but i wish i could play like Stam. Look at Rio, then fuse Vidic into Rio , you have a complete image of Jaap Stam.
KPOM!!
"Will we next create false gods to rule over us? How proud have we become, and how blind."

Primary: Lenovo Y410p: i5-4200M | 2GB Nvidia GT755M | 16GB DDR3L | 1000GB SSD | N2230 | LG24MP76 - Windows 10 64-Bit
Secondary: Dell Inspirion 1545: Core2Duo | 4GB RAM | 320GB 5400RPM - Linux Mint Cinnamon
Tertiary: Lenovo Legion 5 Pro: Ryzen 7 5800H | 32GB DDR4 | 2000GB SSD | 8GB NVidia RTX3070 - Windows 11 Pro
HTC U11+ - Xiaomi Mi8
wiseone
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by wiseone »

Robson was a warrior. Man Utd were basically a one man team with him. He was the greatest midfield general of his generation. The present generation were unfortunate not to see him play. The "Captain Marvel" nickname was made for him. I think he was a better player than even Roy Keane. The fact that he was Keane's hero, and that Keane was in awe of him when he moved to Man Utd says a lot.

Robson was unfortunately to play for Man Utd before their glory years. His commitment and courage deserved a truck load of trophies to match Ryan Giggs.
oloye wrote:So captain fantastic Bryan Robson did not make the list abi, una head nor dey house one by one.
Dodo
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Dodo »

Schmeichel
G Neville Stam Ferdinand Irwin
Robson Keane Scholes
Ronaldo Cantona Giggs
Coach
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Coach »

Evra is beyond overrated, but for his pace, he's a French Taye Taiwo, with age should come wisdom, he is fast showing himself to have none. Positioning all over the place, he looks ready to join Arsenal.
The Notorious B!GGESTMAN
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by The Notorious B!GGESTMAN »

wiseone wrote:Robson was a warrior. Man Utd were basically a one man team with him. He was the greatest midfield general of his generation. The present generation were unfortunate not to see him play. The "Captain Marvel" nickname was made for him. I think he was a better player than even Roy Keane. The fact that he was Keane's hero, and that Keane was in awe of him when he moved to Man Utd says a lot.

Robson was unfortunately to play for Man Utd before their glory years. His commitment and courage deserved a truck load of trophies to match Ryan Giggs.
oloye wrote:So captain fantastic Bryan Robson did not make the list abi, una head nor dey house one by one.

Attacking wise yes. Overall, no.
The weak or the strong,
who got it going on
You're dead wrong
Coach
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Coach »

Those forgetting Paul 'Whiskey and Wine' McGrath are only confirming their newness to the game. Arguably one of the defensive greats of Premiership football. Drunk he was better than most, sober, he was superb. Can be found outside Salford train station with a brown paper bag concealing, albeit poorly, a can of Special Brew. #Sad.
The Notorious B!GGESTMAN
Eaglet
Eaglet

Coach wrote:Those forgetting Paul 'Whiskey and Wine' McGrath are only confirming their newness to the game. Arguably one of the defensive greats of Premiership football. Drunk he was better than most, sober, he was superb. Can be found outside Salford train station with a brown paper bag concealing, albeit poorly, a can of Special Brew. #Sad.

good player? yes. part of Fergie's greatest team? Ahead of Rio and Stam? Steve Bruce? No1 This is a guy who has openly admitted that he was sometimes drunk on the pitch1 :oops:
The weak or the strong,
who got it going on
You're dead wrong
kajifu
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by kajifu »

Wenger best 11 of all time will beat Sir Alex best 11.Too bad Sir Alex get more tittles to show
The Notorious B!GGESTMAN
Eaglet
Eaglet

kajifu wrote:Wenger best 11 of all time will beat Sir Alex best 11.Too bad Sir Alex get more tittles to show
really? How many UCLs have we (Arsenal) won again?
The weak or the strong,
who got it going on
You're dead wrong
Cristao II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Cristao II »

kajifu wrote:Wenger best 11 of all time will beat Sir Alex best 11.Too bad Sir Alex get more tittles to show
We dont like Trolls

HTC U11+ - Xiaomi Mi8
shaq
Egg
Egg

Post by shaq »

Only one way to compare...
Abeg open your own thread on Arsenal or Wenger's best 11

PaJ can open Chelsea's best 11 for all we care too

For the rest of the teams (except maybe Liverpool)... agbero and overload :arrow:
asabe
Egg
Egg

Post by asabe »

Cristao II wrote:
asabe wrote:
anointed wrote:I was on a radio show earlier today and I was asked this tough question that made me felt like in an exam hall answering my worst subject: accounting. It was really tough cos so many great players must be left out. I even left out Scholes for David Beckham but I've reconsidered and I might still even reconsider some.

1. Peter Schmeichel
2. Gary Neville
3. Patrice Evra
4. Rio Ferdinand
5. Jaap Stam
6. Roy Keane
7. Cristiano Ronaldo
8. Paul Scholes
9. Rudd Van Nistelrooy
10. Eric Cantona
11. Ryan Giggs
Top squad. Only person missing is Bryan Robson, but I am sure if I can to drop Keane/Scholes. I have seen some saying that Irwin benches Evra, for me that is a joke. Evra is one of the top leftback in the world for many years, and earns the spot.
Irwin was a better servant for Utd than Evra. He could play either RB or LB, was adept at setpieces be it freekicks or penalties. Stopped playing for Utd at age 36 after 12 years of loyal service. Attacking wise - the gap was so wide, Evra scored 7 goals in 326 appearances. Irwin scored 33 goals in 529 appearances.
I can see your point, but Evra for me is another underrated player. My change in the squad would be to put Bryan Robson in place of Keane or Scholes.
“love the life you live. live the life you love.” Bob Marley
wiseone
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by wiseone »

Their respective records for Man Utd:

Bryan Robson - 345 games (74 goals)
Roy Keane - 326 (33 goals)

I actually struggle to think of a part of the game where Keane was a better player than Robson. Certainly not goalscoring, tackling, heading, discipline (Keane got far more red cards), or as an inspirational figure.

Also, Keane had the luxury of playing in one of the greatest midfield quartets of all time with Giggs, Scholes and Beckham. Also did not hurt having Ronaldo, Schmeichel, Rooney, Van Nistelrooy, Ince, Stam, Irwin etc as team mates. Robson's record is all the more remarkable when you consider that he played in a very average Man Utd team with players like Remi Moses, Jesper Olsen, Graeme Hogg, Terry Gibson etc...yet he still managed to drag them to 3 FA Cup victories (he was inspirational in each FA Cup campaign and final).
B!GGESTMAN wrote:
wiseone wrote:Robson was a warrior. Man Utd were basically a one man team with him. He was the greatest midfield general of his generation. The present generation were unfortunate not to see him play. The "Captain Marvel" nickname was made for him. I think he was a better player than even Roy Keane. The fact that he was Keane's hero, and that Keane was in awe of him when he moved to Man Utd says a lot.

Attacking wise yes. Overall, no.
Last edited by wiseone on Sat May 11, 2013 4:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mystic
Egg
Egg

Post by mystic »

1. Peter Schmeichel
2. Gary Neville
3. Patrice Evra
4. Rio Ferdinand
5. Jaap Stam
6. Roy Keane
7. Cristiano Ronaldo
8. Paul Scholes
9. Rudd Van Nistelrooy
10. Eric Cantona
11. Ryan Giggs

Dennis Irwin for Patrice Evra; and Bryan Robson for Paul Scholes and your team would be on point. Always hard to put these type of teams together though, without leaving a deserving player out.

Cheers.
Coach
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Coach »

Big Dion Dublin up top for the flick ons.