SIR ALEX FERGUSON's ALL TIME BEST XI

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

The Notorious B!GGESTMAN
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: SIR ALEX FERGUSON's ALL TIME BEST IX

Post by The Notorious B!GGESTMAN »

wiseone wrote:Their respective records for Man Utd:

Bryan Robson - 345 games (74 goals)
Roy Keane - 326 (33 goals)

I actually struggle to think of a part of the game where Keane was a better player than Robson. Certainly not goalscoring, tackling, heading, discipline (Keane got far more red cards), or as an inspirational figure.

Also, Keane had the luxury of playing in one of the greatest midfield quartets of all time with Giggs, Scholes and Beckham. Also did not hurt having Ronaldo, Schmeichel, Rooney, Van Nistelrooy, Ince, Stam, Irwin etc as team mates. Robson's record is all the more remarkable when you consider that he played in a very average Man Utd team with players like Remi Moses, Jesper Olsen, Graeme Hogg, Terry Gibson etc...yet he still managed to drag them to 3 FA Cup victories (he was inspirational in each FA Cup campaign and final).
B!GGESTMAN wrote:
wiseone wrote:Robson was a warrior. Man Utd were basically a one man team with him. He was the greatest midfield general of his generation. The present generation were unfortunate not to see him play. The "Captain Marvel" nickname was made for him. I think he was a better player than even Roy Keane. The fact that he was Keane's hero, and that Keane was in awe of him when he moved to Man Utd says a lot.

Robson was unfortunately to play for Man Utd before their glory years. His commitment and courage deserved a truck load of trophies to match Ryan Giggs.
oloye wrote:So captain fantastic Bryan Robson did not make the list abi, una head nor dey house one by one.

Attacking wise yes. Overall, no.

Did you read my post? :???: If so why did you bring up their goal scoring stats?! :blink: As for the parts bolded in red, just stop!!!!! Especially your claim that he was more of an inspirational figure!!!!!! He may have been up there, but not higher than Keane!

Don't get me wrong, Robson is a folk hero, but Keane is higher for is all round game. Whilst Robson scored more goals, Keane had even more energy and tenacity about him and was better defensively. The better all round player and captain! Fergie even called him the best player he had during his time at Utd, he was a real warrior!

And with regards to his FA Cup victories, 2 of them were before Fergie came to Utd! This thread is Fergie's all time XI, not Man Utd best XI of all time (even though Keane will feature ahead Robson in both!)
The weak or the strong,
who got it going on
You're dead wrong
wiseone
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: SIR ALEX FERGUSON's ALL TIME BEST XI

Post by wiseone »

Keane was the greatest midfielder of his generation, and Robson was the greatest of his. If they had met each other in both of their primes, Robson would shade it in my opinion.

The more recent memories of Keane clouds peoples judgment. Man Utd were never half the side when Robson was injured. Yet Man U still won trophies/lots of games in Keane's absence. As for the part about being an inspirational figure - read Keane's biography and what he said about Robson. Like I said before, Robson was his role model. Robson was one of only four real quality players in the Man Utd team of his heyday (along with Whiteside, McGrath and Hughes). There were four world class players in Keane's midfield alone!

One of Robson's finest games was his heroic performance against Diego Maradona's Barcelona when he almost single handedly hauled his team back from a 0-2 first leg deficit to win the 2nd leg at Old Trafford 3-0:

[/video]

The most telling moment in the post match celebrations was the fans invading the pitch and hoisting Robson into the air.

[/video]
Last edited by wiseone on Tue Mar 05, 2024 5:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Molue Conductor
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Molue Conductor »

anointed wrote:
kajifu wrote:Where Veron,Robson and Barthez?
Bros, it's not a naming ceremony.
what of Djamba Djamba?
Egg

Post by asabe »

mystic wrote:
anointed wrote:I was on a radio show earlier today and I was asked this tough question that made me felt like in an exam hall answering my worst subject: accounting. It was really tough cos so many great players must be left out. I even left out Scholes for David Beckham but I've reconsidered and I might still even reconsider some.

1. Peter Schmeichel
2. Gary Neville
3. Patrice Evra
4. Rio Ferdinand
5. Jaap Stam
6. Roy Keane
7. Cristiano Ronaldo
8. Paul Scholes
9. Rudd Van Nistelrooy
10. Eric Cantona
11. Ryan Giggs

Dennis Irwin for Patrice Evra; and Bryan Robson for Paul Scholes and your team would be on point. Always hard to put these type of teams together though, without leaving a deserving player out.

Cheers.
Evra stays :D Robson gets into the lineup ahead of Scholes, also McGarth removes Rio Ferdinand from the 1st eleven. Now that is complete.
“love the life you live. live the life you love.” Bob Marley
The Notorious B!GGESTMAN
Eaglet
Eaglet

@wiseone, if you think Robson is better than Keane then that is something we will have to disagree on. But as i've said before this thread is about Ferguson's greatest XI, not Man Utds. Keane was much more inspirational during Alex Ferguson's time at Utd than Robson. The evidence you have shown us proves this, most of Robson's achievements you have pointed came before Ferguson arrived- the FC Barcelona game in your previous post is a most recent example.

And all this talk about Robson being Keane's hero doesn't really make a difference. Most people have heroes- Zidane's was Enzo Francescoli. Does that make Francescoli better than him? :lol: Yes, Keane was definately more inspirational during the Fergie era and rightfully takes his place within the first XI. And fergie himself believes he was his best player.
The weak or the strong,
who got it going on
You're dead wrong
Coach
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Coach »

And this is where Ayo's 3-5-2 would come in useful, as you could play all three.

Schmichael

McGrath
Ferdinand
Stam

Giggs
Keane
Scholes
Robson
Ronaldo

Cantona
Van Nistel-bellend

Personally, one would rather

Taibi

Prunier
O'Shea
Parker

Richardson
Kleberson
Djemba-Djemba
Veron
Gillespie

Dublin
Mame 'Is he an Arab' Diouf
The Notorious B!GGESTMAN
Eaglet
Eaglet

@Coach, Ronaldo and Giggs are not attacking full backs.
The weak or the strong,
who got it going on
You're dead wrong
Coach
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Coach »

@Biggest, England Euro '96 played a 3-5-2 flanked by Darren Anderton and Steve McManaman. If you have defenders good enough to cover in the channels and a defensive midfielder who can drop in, as Ince did '96, making a back four in the defensive phase, then you needn't have fullbacks on the wings. A 3-2-3-2 as the Itals call it.
Cristao II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Cristao II »

Coach wrote:And this is where Ayo's 3-5-2 would come in useful, as you could play all three.

Schmichael

McGrath
Ferdinand
Stam

Giggs
Keane
Scholes
Robson
Ronaldo

Cantona
Van Nistel-bellend

Taibi

Prunier
O'Shea
Parker

Richardson
Kleberson
Djemba-Djemba
Veron
Gillespie

Dublin
You forgot Manucho and Bebe.
"Will we next create false gods to rule over us? How proud have we become, and how blind."

Primary: Lenovo Y410p: i5-4200M | 2GB Nvidia GT755M | 16GB DDR3L | 1000GB SSD | N2230 | LG24MP76 - Windows 10 64-Bit
Secondary: Dell Inspirion 1545: Core2Duo | 4GB RAM | 320GB 5400RPM - Linux Mint Cinnamon
Tertiary: Lenovo Legion 5 Pro: Ryzen 7 5800H | 32GB DDR4 | 2000GB SSD | 8GB NVidia RTX3070 - Windows 11 Pro
HTC U11+ - Xiaomi Mi8
Molue Conductor
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Molue Conductor »

Coach wrote:And this is where Ayo's 3-5-2 would come in useful, as you could play all three.

Schmichael

McGrath
Ferdinand
Stam

Giggs
Keane
Scholes
Robson
Ronaldo

Cantona
Van Nistel-bellend

Taibi

Prunier
O'Shea
Parker

Richardson
Kleberson
Djemba-Djemba
Veron
Gillespie

Dublin
Neither Dublin nor Diouf can clean Bebe's boots
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by wiseone »

In the absence of the EPL, the Guardian has been doing a retro series called "My Favourite Game". They recently did one on the legendary 1984 European Cup Winners Cup QF 2nd leg between Man U and a Barcelona team who had won the first leg 2-0 at the Nou Camp, who had the best player in the world Maradona in their line up, and who were coached by César Luis Menotti (who had won the World Cup with Argentina). Then up stepped Bryan Robson (who IMHO is the greatest midfielder the club has had in the best Best-Law-Charlton era):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=86MdPM6Pk-4

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2020/ ... s-cup-1984

wiseone wrote:Robson was a warrior. Man Utd were basically a one man team with him. He was the greatest midfield general of his generation. The present generation were unfortunate not to see him play. The "Captain Marvel" nickname was made for him. I think he was a better player than even Roy Keane. The fact that he was Keane's hero, and that Keane was in awe of him when he moved to Man Utd says a lot.

Robson was unfortunately to play for Man Utd before their glory years. His commitment and courage deserved a truck load of trophies to match Ryan Giggs.
oloye wrote:So captain fantastic Bryan Robson did not make the list abi, una head nor dey house one by one.
paj
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by paj »

kajifu wrote:Where Veron,Robson and Barthez?
This rubbish is enough to ban U from CE..or just give U "read only" access.. :evil:
The Brunch Mixtape Project
Available on all major streaming platforms :)
Aswani
Egg
Egg

Post by Aswani »

anointed wrote:I was on a radio show earlier today and I was asked this tough question that made me felt like in an exam hall answering my worst subject: accounting. It was really tough cos so many great players must be left out. I even left out Scholes for David Beckham but I've reconsidered and I might still even reconsider some.

1. Peter Schmeichel
2. Gary Neville
3. Patrice Evra
4. Rio Ferdinand
5. Jaap Stam
6. Roy Keane
7. Cristiano Ronaldo
8. Paul Scholes
9. Rudd Van Nistelrooy
10. Eric Cantona
11. Ryan Giggs
No Paul Ince?

Good list though, Ince for Scholes for me.
omey2k4
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by omey2k4 »

one of the greatest coaches ever in the world who has been out there withthese players names his best XI and Nigerians that has never selected a starting 11 for no CL winning team is questioning his list. You guys need a life seriously smh
http://www.myspace.com/donproductionsbeatz
http://www.soundcloud.com/donproductionsbeatz
www.twitter.com/Donproductions

Listen to my beatz^^^^^
Aswani
Egg
Egg

Post by Aswani »

omey2k4 wrote:one of the greatest coaches ever in the world who has been out there withthese players names his best XI and Nigerians that has never selected a starting 11 for no CL winning team is questioning his list. You guys need a life seriously smh
A forum for discussing stuff and people expressing their opinion. I agree, a total waste of time :(
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

Is this at the right forum?
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics