Stephen Keshi - What an Embarassment!

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Babafad
Eaglet
Eaglet
Stephen Keshi - What an Embarassment!

Post by Babafad »

I don't know whether those Cybereagles in the UK, who watched the Cameroon v Algeria game on BBC 3 yesterday, share my view that Keshi's performance as a co-commentator was abysmal. It was an absolute disaster!

A little while back after finding out that BBC were going to show matches from the ANC, I wrote to them saying that it might help if they got match analysts who know and understand African football. Real Africans!

BBC have an assembled studio cast of Gavin Peacock, Mark Bright & our very own Nigerian Oyinbo John Salako - who once said "playing for Nigeria is not an option". In terms of co-commentators, I suppose one can't fault them (or so I thought). They have lined up the likes of Efan Ekoku and "Big Boss" Stephen Keshi.

I know English is not our mother tongue, and some of us will always be able to speak it better than others, so I will never run anyone down for not speaking "unblemished" English. However what we got from Keshi, yesterday, was diabolical. The man has played in Europe for many years - hence there should be an above average technical knowledge of the game. He had played international football for the Eagles, from 1979 - 1994, thus giving him an in-depth knowledge of African football and how things work on the "inside".

Apart from his poor command of the English Language, which was not really a problem, bearing in mind my above comments. His knowledge of the game seemed suspect. Or maybe the guy just couldn't articulate himself. For instance check this out - the commentator asked Keshi what he thought of Algeria's play after they had eqaulised. Our man said the following "I must tell you, I am surprised by what is happening here. However I am not surprised, because Algeria are a very technical team". What the hell was he trying to say?

Also check this one out, as well. He was asked, after Algeria had gone a goal down "what do you think the Algerians need to do to get back into the game. His answer was "they (the Algerians) just have to pack the forward line". For God's sake, is that all. Remember this guy is also meant to be a top flight coach!

I would have expected him to have made some reference about how he would have reacted in certain situations or probably draw on his experience as a player when proffering a view. We heard none of it.

Oh how are the mighty fallen. "Big Boss" my foot! :evil:
Dodo
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Dodo »

aniother thread on the same subject just down below? is it necessary?
Eagle Winged

Post by Eagle Winged »

Babafad, kindly post this in AreaDaddy's thread. Theres no need for two threads on the exact same subject. Especially when they're right next to each other. Locked.
Toxicarrow
Egg
Egg

Post by Toxicarrow »

I thought Ayo, Waffiman and et.al claimed that ex-players who played in Europe have far indepth knowledge of the game than Onigbindes, Amodus, Lalokos and Ericos of this world ! I guess Keshi's performance is a testimony of years of playing "with the best of the soccer world" :oops:
Check out Sooting's website:
https://shootingstarssc.com/