2014 WORLD CUP FINAL: GERMANY VS ARGENTINA 1-0 (FT) Gotze

Discuss the 22nd edition of the 2022 FIFA WORLD CUP QATAR™ scheduled to take place in Qatar from 21 November to 18 December 2022. Africa will be represented by Country-A, Country-B, Country-C, Country-D, AND Country-E.

Visit here for the latest interviews, news and features from the FIFA World Cup Qatar 2022™

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

uglyoneiamagain
Egg
Egg
Re: 2014 WORLD CUP FINAL: GERMANY VS ARGENTINA 1-0 (FT) Gotz

Post by uglyoneiamagain »

Thanks Germany. Thank you Brazil for hosting us. Guess its time for Tennis season :(
Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle

Post by Bigpokey24 »

Messi is a failure , no excuses.
SuperEagles

© Bigpokey24, most loved on CE
My post are with no warranties and confers zero rights. Get out your feelings
It is not authorized by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use.
All rights aren't reserved
Vincent.
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Vincent. »

metalalloy wrote:Kaylor Navas was also MVP/MOTM in four of his 5 matches he played in. Does that mean he also deserves the Golden Boot too? Abeg you can't rationalize dis one away.

Rodriquez has more goals and more assists and 3 MOTM awards in less games
Mueller has more goals, more assists and won the cup
Neymar has the same no of goals and assists in less games
Navas had 4 MOTM appearances in 5 games

so what exactly did Messi do over all these people to earn him the golden boot?
So, why are you not questioning the decision to give the Golden Gloves to Neuer? What exactly did Neuer do to deserve it ahead of Ochoa, Navas, Enyeama, etc.?

Rodriguez gets the Golden Boot for the highest number of goals, but goals are not the only determinant in the identity of the winner of the Golden Ball. If it all comes down to goals, then Klose will be the best player in the history of the World Cup.
Eto’o, Ronaldinho, Deco, and Messi are like good caviar, tender pine-nuts, chemical-free sea salt, and the purest of virgin olive oils, said one of the world's greatest chefs, Ferran Adria of El Bulli restaurant, Before Barca went on to wallop Madrid 3-0 at the Bernabeu.

“I believe the target of anything in life should be to do it so well that it becomes an art. Football is like that. When I watch Barcelona, it is art” — Arsène Wenger, August 2009
Jaidi
Egg
Egg

Post by Jaidi »

Germany scored 7 goals against Brazil at home, probably the most stunning result in WC history, and we got guys saying they weren't exceptional. :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:
analyzer
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by analyzer »

Vincent. wrote:
analyzer wrote:Golden ball to messi - Not deserved..
this is not the Messi folks expected.. Like someone mentioned, Messi was hardly even "Messi" up until the 2nd round game.. After that, he was blah.. pretty much Macherano and the defense took over from there IMO..

Robben, a more worthy and deserved winner IMO.. any of the Germans in Muller, Lahm, Schweiny could take it..
In how many matches was Robben MVP? How many goals did he score? How many assists did he provide? He had a great World Cup, but...
Both subjectively and objectively, Messi does not deserve golden ball..

Yes Robben did have a great world cup.. IMO, a better performance than Messi..
Robben had 3 MoM with 3 goals and 1 assist.. in the knock out stages sans semi vs. Argentina, he was pretty much the main catalyst for everything good that the dutch (a weaker squad than argentina IMO) was able to muster..
IMO, messi disappeared after the switz game... Macherano and defense took over..

Even Castro index does not have Messi as one of the absolute top performers. Before we go knocking down castro index, remember CI is straight from Fifa.. Kroos was just as good as Messi.. But in my subjective opinion - Robben takes it..

I also somewhat disagree with neuer and golden glove.. safe to say that outside of golden boot, the golden ball & gloove winner must come from a team in the final 4..
Lampard: 101 goals and counting.......

64 GAMES UNBEATEN AT STAMFORD BRIDGE... A NEW RECORD IS SET.....
tfco
Eagle
Eagle

Post by tfco »

javier mascherano was the best argentine for me.

AFCON 2024 L-O-S-E-R-S

They did not CEDIS coming
Naira Did We :rotf: :rotf:

metalalloy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by metalalloy »

Vincent. wrote:
metalalloy wrote:Kaylor Navas was also MVP/MOTM in four of his 5 matches he played in. Does that mean he also deserves the Golden Boot too? Abeg you can't rationalize dis one away.

Rodriquez has more goals and more assists and 3 MOTM awards in less games
Mueller has more goals, more assists and won the cup
Neymar has the same no of goals and assists in less games
Navas had 4 MOTM appearances in 5 games

so what exactly did Messi do over all these people to earn him the golden boot?
So, why are you not questioning the decision to give the Golden Gloves to Neuer? What exactly did Neuer do to deserve it ahead of Ochoa, Navas, Enyeama, etc.?

Rodriguez gets the Golden Boot for the highest number of goals, but goals are not the only determinant in the identity of the winner of the Golden Ball. If it all comes down to goals, then Klose will be the best player in the history of the World Cup.
The MOTM example was to show you that i don't agree with that as a parameter for determining the best player of the tournament! You are the one who cited Messi winning the mVP in at least 4 games he played and i showed you that Navas did the same thing and no one is nominating him as golden ball contender. Messi had a good tournament but there are other players that had a better claim to the overall best player award. I gave you several categories that Rodriguez either beat Messi or came close to Messi, i never stated anywhere that highest # of goals is the only determinant. He scored more, created more for others and was the man of the match in several games.

As for Neuer, IIRC he has the most saves and the highest save percentage. He was the highest rated goal keeper using FIFA's own statistics. He did not have as many last ditch saves as the likes of Ochoa, Howard have because he never put himself in position to have to make those saves. Heck he was a pseudo sweeper in addition to being a keeper.
We have been brainwashed by the Premier League that it's the best in the world. Nonsense. It's the best brand
Roy Keane: ITV 02/25/14

He says that we are currently "brainwashed" into believing that the Premier League is the best competition in the world, and that we are now a long way off dominating the Champions League again.
Gary Neville: Mirror: 12/23/14

I think Spain’s by far the best league.
Scholes. UK Guardian 9/6/16
mate
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by mate »

I agree with the posters who note that Germany were the best team over the course of this tournament. They took on and overcame strong challengers from 4 continents. They adapted well to every opponent's style. They ultimately outlasted everybody.

They won today on the basis of taking their chances. Argentina didn't. That was the margin of difference between 2 very fine teams. I'll also highlight that fitness played a role, enabling Schurrle, who up to then had been making mistakes, to run hard and get that cross in to Goetze for the winning goal.

And that brings me to my main point, namely, that Germany beat Argentina in the past 3 WCs on the basis of better program management. That's a trend my friends. Club football, the CL, academies, sports science, and cutting edge program management produce the best team possible.

It many not produce a team with a Messi. Or one with Iniesta and Xavi. But as we've seen, a team with Neur, Schweinsteiger, Hummels, Boateng, Khedira, Mueller, Kroos, and Lahm are good enough to win a WC. I actually gave Argentina a minor edge due to Messi and the WC being in South America...but German program management won, producing a team that has now reached the semifinal or final in the last 4 WCs.

It's something a lot of our teams can learn from. Even teams like Argentina and Brazil. You can bet Germany, Holland, Spain, and Italy won't be idle in the coming 4 years, as they'll want to win in Russia. I mention these because they've either won the last 3 WCs or consistently make deep runs.

Anyway, I congratulate Germany. They proved me wrong about winning a WC in South America and being able to beat Brazil in Brazil.

:clap: :clap: :clap:

And thanks to Brazil for a fine WC. As I said, it's been a blast. Life!

:thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs:

Cheers, Mate
Pax Americana...Wither Now?
ohsee
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by ohsee »

Vincent. wrote:

Messi had a good tournament but I do not think he has fully recovered from the injury. It says a lot that when Messi is not at his best is still the top 3 player at the World Cup.
He has not recovered 100%. That is why he limits his running to certain areas and only when he has the ball.[/quote]
Vincenzo,
Why are you so eager to make excuses for the greatest player of all the greats since bread started to be sliced? When is he finally going to deliver? We are getting tired of this player who is better than Pele and Maradona, but never seems quite able to accomplish what they have done. I guess the next WC will finally really belong to Messi. Really.

By the way, why is no one mentioning the monster game Boateng had?
mate
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by mate »

Ohsee, Boateng was outstanding. He, Neur, Hummels, and Schweinsteiger won this one for Germany in my book. Warriors. They were the defensive rock around which the rest of the Germans operate.

Boateng made 2 crucial tackles on Messi in particular. He was a rock. Strong, positionally sound, smart, and composed.

On ESPN tonight, Taylor Twellman cited Boateng as the unsung hero of this German victory.

That was indeed a machine. Greater than the sum of the parts. A whole in which individuals like Schurrle and Goetze could produce a moment of magic...with the aforementioned players being the nucleus. And in that nucleus, Boateng stood tall and strong. Like I said...warrior!

Cheers, Mate
Pax Americana...Wither Now?
ElHadary
Suspended Member

Post by ElHadary »

Why did Ghana get the useless Boateng?
Coach
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Coach »

@Vincent Del Bosque, one will begin with a statement of fact, Lionel Messi did not need this tournament to take seat amongst the stars and constellations. He's already there.. The greatest of his time, all time is perhaps too far a reach, even with Pippen's arms. The game has changed, fitness for one, tactics another, tis harder in this modern age for one man strap a nation to his back and pace the road to Damascus, from myth to legend. Tendering such argument does not excuse away the docility Messi assumed more often than not. Talent is as talent does, in the briefest of moments, magic, but so far spaced were those moments of sheer majesty. Perhaps the supporting acts weren't A list, the tactics lacked purpose beyond showcasing a cast iron chin and granite jaw, but the ability lay within his every stride, thought, embrace of the ball. He chose to walk, leisurely, languid, the imperial Aslan waiting for his lesser lionesses to bring his meal on a platter. Messi could've done more, much more, one wonders whether fitness was an issue. An injury or ailment lurking neath his subdued transiently superb exterior.

As expected, the Mundiale has concluded with fitness and form boasting their prominence. Germany had the players to run and the arrogance and belief that comes from success. The Bavarian contingent were presidential, superb for want of a better word. On the biggest stage of all, at the crux of Mount Olympus, Herculean. The metamorphosis of Bastian Schweinsteger casts shame and condemnation at those of "worldly" standing through sheer misplacement and blind patriotism. In a not too distant past, a skillful winger with gusto going forward and an air of the give a damn going back. Today, an indomitable centre-mid, bulging at the seams eith brawn, bravery, bravado and blood stained Terry Butcherism. On the grandest stage of all, absolutely brilliant. By that measure alone, from the countless tackles, the myriad well ins and blood streaming down his face, the perfect portrait of a warrior, he could indeed do it on those snow laden, frost biting soils of Britannia, where those harshest elements have slewed hundreds, lay to waste legends, young and old.

Congratulations to Germans. Men. Real men.

ps: on closer inspection, their approach was very similar to that of another nation which exposed Argentina in the grouo stage. Another feather for the Great Man, fast becoming a peacock.
Globero
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Globero »

Coach wrote: The metamorphosis of Bastian Schweinsteger casts shame and condemnation at those of "worldly" standing through sheer misplacement and blind patriotism. ......... from the countless tackles, the myriad well ins and blood streaming down his face, the perfect portrait of a warrior, he could indeed do it on those snow laden, frost biting soils of Britannia, where those harshest elements have slewed hundreds .......

:rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:
From this day forth, I stand by the entity that is ARSENAL.
I'm in despair when we lose, I rejoice when we win and I become emotional for all that happens in between
but may no one dare say I was not there when its all said and done - Globero
tfco
Eagle
Eagle

Post by tfco »

Globero wrote:
Coach wrote: The metamorphosis of Bastian Schweinsteger casts shame and condemnation at those of "worldly" standing through sheer misplacement and blind patriotism. ......... from the countless tackles, the myriad well ins and blood streaming down his face, the perfect portrait of a warrior, he could indeed do it on those snow laden, frost biting soils of Britannia, where those harshest elements have slewed hundreds .......

:rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:

Schweini at the Britannia against a TP-coached XI on a cold, wet Monday night? I think so.

AFCON 2024 L-O-S-E-R-S

They did not CEDIS coming
Naira Did We :rotf: :rotf:

Chief Ogbunigwe
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Chief Ogbunigwe »

tfco wrote:
Globero wrote:

Schweini at the Britannia against a TP-coached XI on a cold, wet Monday night? I think so.
really happy for that dude and the current crop of German players. Spain had "blocked" them from winning any titles recently. Still remember an extremely hard-working Schweini granting a post-match interview after losing the Euros to Spain....while the celebrating Spaniards trolled him.

The most hilarious part of this German team's experience was when Maradona thought Muller was a ball-boy :woot: :woot: :woot: :woot:
AFCON 2019 sweet o
Barren for 37 yrs no good o

New member and Titled Chief, Distant Gunners Consortium.
"This is an island surrounded by water, big water, ocean water."
Coach
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Coach »

tfco wrote:
Globero wrote:

Evening kick-off...put back a couple hours due to weather warnings.
Chief Ogbunigwe
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Chief Ogbunigwe »

ohsee wrote:
Vincent. wrote:

Messi had a good tournament but I do not think he has fully recovered from the injury. It says a lot that when Messi is not at his best is still the top 3 player at the World Cup.
He has not recovered 100%. That is why he limits his running to certain areas and only when he has the ball.
Vincenzo,
Why are you so eager to make excuses for the greatest player of all the greats since bread started to be sliced? When is he finally going to deliver? We are getting tired of this player who is better than Pele and Maradona, but never seems quite able to accomplish what they have done. I guess the next WC will finally really belong to Messi. Really.

By the way, why is no one mentioning the monster game Boateng had?[/quote]

Don't you know Messi is greater than Maradona, who is greater than Pele? :shock: :shock: :shock:
AFCON 2019 sweet o
Barren for 37 yrs no good o

New member and Titled Chief, Distant Gunners Consortium.
"This is an island surrounded by water, big water, ocean water."
Vincent.
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Vincent. »

ohsee wrote: Vincenzo,

I am not defending him. There is no reason to defend a guy who took his team to the World Cup final. That is a huge achievement.

I merely answered the question about Messi walking and not running as he used to do? It was a question many asked towards the end of lass season when he was playing for Barcelona, and the answer is that he was advised by physiotherapists to limit his running because of his recent hamstring injuries.
We are getting tired of this player who is better than Pele and Maradona, but never seems quite able to accomplish what they have done
As far as I am concerned, only people who don't understand how football works will demand that Messi or Maradona or Pele single-handedly win the World Cup. Football does not work that way. You need a team and good coaches. You also need luck.

As for Messi not achieving what Maradona and Pele have done, again I will say football is not mathematics. There are many things that Messi has achieved at club level that Maradona did not. How many league titles did Maradona win? How many continental European titles did Maradona win? How many world youth titles did Maradona win? How many Golden Balls did Maradona win? This is not to say that Messi is better than Maradona or vice versa, it simply illustrates the fact that football is a team game. No single player can single-handedly achieve anything in football. You need a strong supporting cast and you need luck.

It is ridiculous to demand that Messi win the World Cup. It does not happen than way. You guys seem to be suggesting that if Higuain or Palacio had taken their chances yesterday, then Messi would suddenly have reached Maradona's level, but he is not quite there because those chances were not taken? That is, if his team-mates had had better luck in front of goal, then Messi would suddenly have been elevated to a new level even though he had absolutely nothing to do with whether those guys scored or not, even though he had absolutely no control over whether the keeper would have produced a massive save? You are suggesting that Messi would have been elevated to Maradona's level if Goetze had blown that chance or if goalkeeper Romero had saved his shot or if Zabaleta had prevented Schuerrle from crossing to Goetze in the first place when Messi actually had no control over any of those situations? This illustrates the ridiculousness of this debate.
Eto’o, Ronaldinho, Deco, and Messi are like good caviar, tender pine-nuts, chemical-free sea salt, and the purest of virgin olive oils, said one of the world's greatest chefs, Ferran Adria of El Bulli restaurant, Before Barca went on to wallop Madrid 3-0 at the Bernabeu.

“I believe the target of anything in life should be to do it so well that it becomes an art. Football is like that. When I watch Barcelona, it is art” — Arsène Wenger, August 2009
folem
Egg
Egg

Post by folem »

Vincent. wrote: I am not defending him. There is no reason to defend a guy who took his team to the World Cup final. That is a huge achievement.

I merely answered the question about Messi walking and not running as he used to do? It was a question many asked towards the end of lass season when he was playing for Barcelona, and the answer is that he was advised by physiotherapists to limit his running because of his recent hamstring injuries.
We are getting tired of this player who is better than Pele and Maradona, but never seems quite able to accomplish what they have done
As far as I am concerned, only people who don't understand how football works will demand that Messi or Maradona or Pele single-handedly win the World Cup. Football does not work that way. You need a team and good coaches. You also need luck.

As for Messi not achieving what Maradona and Pele have done, again I will say football is not mathematics. There are many things that Messi has achieved at club level that Maradona did not. How many league titles did Maradona win? How many continental European titles did Maradona win? How many world youth titles did Maradona win? How many Golden Balls did Maradona win? This is not to say that Messi is better than Maradona or vice versa, it simply illustrates the fact that football is a team game. No single player can single-handedly achieve anything in football. You need a strong supporting cast and you need luck.

It is ridiculous to demand that Messi win the World Cup. It does not happen than way. You guys seem to be suggesting that if Higuain or Palacio had taken their chances yesterday, then Messi would suddenly have reached Maradona's level, but he is not quite there because those chances were not taken? That is, if his team-mates had had better luck in front of goal, then Messi would suddenly have been elevated to a new level even though he had absolutely nothing to do with whether those guys scored or not, even though he had absolutely no control over whether the keeper would have produced a massive save? You are suggesting that Messi would have been elevated to Maradona's level if Goetze had blown that chance or if goalkeeper Romero had saved his shot or if Zabaleta had prevented Schuerrle from crossing to Goetze in the first place when Messi actually had no control over any of those situations? This illustrates the ridiculousness of this debate.

ohsee
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by ohsee »

Vincent. wrote:
ohsee wrote: Vincenzo,

I am not defending him. There is no reason to defend a guy who took his team to the World Cup final. That is a huge achievement.

Vincent.
first you deny that you are making excuses for Messi, then you go about making more? Great players are judged on what they accomplish on the highest stages of all. If you can only accomplish great things with one star-studded team, you are not a great player.

Messi is clearly not a great player at the level of Maradona or Pele. Those players "take the game by the scruff of the neck" as in the old cliche, and do something that wins games.

Messi seems to lack the heart of a Maradona, or the combination of abilities and heart of a Pele (yes, Pele had more abilities than Messi) In the final of the 1986 WC, the Germans also tried to mark Maradona out of the game. He still was able to set up the winning goal with a brilliant pass to Burruchaga. Italy set up its defense to stop Pele, but can you really stop a person who can outjump everybody, and heads the ball with the velocity of a bullet fired from a sniper's rifle? A person who is determined to win, who, when he cannot score, pulls defenses this way and that to give teammates good scoring chances?

Messi gave up yesterday, demoralized that he could not do anything against the well-organized German defense. Did you see how he hung his head in shame at the end? He knew he failed again, knew that it was a matter of intestinal fortitude, of the will to drive his team forward and simply never surrender. Useless surrender monkey Messi.

It had nothing to do with instructions from a doctor; this is the final of the World Cup for God's sakes, this is when you say, "Na die today, instead wey we go lose, make I kill myself for field." Did Messi do that? He just sulked around the field like a petulant child, perhaps wondering where Xavi was to pass him the ball, or Iniesta to open spaces for him. Sheesh.

From now on, enough of the endless talk about this single team wonder, the supposed GOAT who would prove it beyond doubt at this World Cup. He has had three world cups to do it and has been a flop at all three. Three strikes, you are out!
Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle

Post by Bigpokey24 »

^^ pa ohsee :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
SuperEagles

© Bigpokey24, most loved on CE
My post are with no warranties and confers zero rights. Get out your feelings
It is not authorized by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use.
All rights aren't reserved
The Notorious B!GGESTMAN
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by The Notorious B!GGESTMAN »

Chief Ogbunigwe wrote:
tfco wrote:
Globero wrote:

really happy for that dude and the current crop of German players. Spain had "blocked" them from winning any titles recently. Still remember an extremely hard-working Schweini granting a post-match interview after losing the Euros to Spain....while the celebrating Spaniards trolled him.

The most hilarious part of this German team's experience was when Maradona thought Muller was a ball-boy :woot: :woot: :woot: :woot:

[/video]

yep. disgraceful. :boo:
The weak or the strong,
who got it going on
You're dead wrong
The Notorious B!GGESTMAN
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by The Notorious B!GGESTMAN »

ohsee wrote:He has had three world cups to do it and has been a flop at all three. Three strikes, you are out!
You made such valid points and then you had to finish it off like this?! All that hard work to be ruined by such a silly statement? How can you say that he was a flop in this WC? Yes he shouldn't have won the Golden Ball and had a poor final, but the tournament as a whole he was decent. 4 goals in 7 games, set up Di Maria's goal in the last 16 and had a major part in Higuain's goal in the QF! Certainly not a flop. smh. :roll:
The weak or the strong,
who got it going on
You're dead wrong