Your voice, Your Arsenal

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Waffiman
Site Admin
Site Admin
Will the real Arsenal fans please stand up.

Post by Waffiman »

I remember when Arsenal were pants. but listening and reading spoilt Arsenal fans moan over last few weeks has me wondering what the feck are they on? They need a does of realism.

Do you guys realise that the club has been in process of building a very expensive stadium and pretty much all of our own money pre bank loan was tied up in it? It is only now after Emirates and Granada that we have had the much needed cashflow.

You all clamoured for all young kids to get games, but are now bemoaning inconsistency? I would rather a talented kid like Van Persie do what he did than some journeyman striker. I want to see the club's investment in youth pay off but I am wise enough to know young players are inconsistent and will make mistakes. The young shall grow, I say let them grow at Arsenal no matter the consequencies.

Do you guys realise that we let go 26 players during the summer. We lost some experienced contributors like Keown, Seaman, Parlour, Kanu and Wiltord, looking at the clubs accounts, it mean't a savings of £10million in salary costs, much needed cashflow before the Granada and Emirates money. Also, injuries have cost more in experience with Vieira, Gilberto, EDU and SOL missing big chunks if not all the season? What makes it even worse is we have lost these players 3 to 4 at a time - that is 2/3rds the spine of the team.

With the money we have had to spend, while the long term vision of stadium and funds associated with it came through, it is a miracle that we have competed to level we have done, and consider strongly the fact that in net terms only Ipswich and West Ham have spent less than Arsenal. Given all of this we have punched above our weight for too long now and we know we will spend big in the summer.

The youth programme Wenger set up is coming near to a time to let players come through, unfortunately injuries has made Arsene do more than he would have wished, and we have been inconsistent because of it, but given overall age and experience of squad this was inevitable. We cannot expect these young players to cope with silverware winning expectations or pressure.

We Arsenal fans are traditionally a patient lot but we have shown our class by giving players time to setle in, this separates us from other teams fans like the Spuds muppets who boo Atouba for example. However, since we have been successful I have noticed a new breed of fair weather fans, with knee jerk reactions to every every draw let alne defeat. These prats have no clue and cannot see the bigger picture. Theycan goback whence they came if they wish to continue moaning I am sick of thses ficke sods.

We have had a transition from experience to youth this season, but experienced gained will be a tremendous base as Arsene finally gets funds to add to squad.

So I just wish you lot get behind the team and stop moanng.
Arsène Wenger at Arsenal, 1996 to 2018. I was there.
Coach
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Coach »

Rallying the troops to get behind the boys, somebodies been watching 'Bravo 2 zero'.....or was it 'Saving private Ryan', or 'Ryan's privates'? whichever, interesting take...

I am by no means an ageist, and feel that any bald, savagely receeding crevice can impart just as much benefit on the grasses green. Its good to have a blend of youth and experience, brains and energy, experience is the best teacher, and there isnt a more willing student than a freckled faced toerag, with half a GCSE in smoking behnd the bike sheds. However, for all their vigour and vitality, it appears many of these fruits were plucked from the branch too soon. Indeed their game needs to ripen. ..Yes its great to have a youth policy and plan for the future, but what use is a willy without its mojo?

Too much time is being spent waiting for deliverance...Here and now is the problem (if it can be called that at all) so some here and now signings would be the logical solution.
ardile
Egg
Egg

Post by ardile »

How ARSENAL can compete thus far in Euorpe and @ Home with proceeds from a meager stadium of 38K is pure GENIUS .. THANKS to Wenger.

Some people will say that ARSENAL won an euro competition b4 Wenger, but I say lQQk around and compare the calibre and cost of players NOW to then.

Yes ARSENAL is NOT building on last season's success, but I believe things WILL be BETTER in the NEASREST future, when we move to the Emirates Stadium we SHALL ALL SEE :lol: :lol: :D :D :D

I know where ARSENAL was b4 Wenger and I know where we are NOW with him, It can ONLY get BETTER ....... ANY FICKLE gooner, can cross the bridge over to CokeSea, take a stroll accross N7, hop on the underground down to Upton park, cross the Thames to Charlton or better still Take the train to Manchester .......

As for me ...... I SHALL keep the FAITH and SHALL remain GOONER4LIFE!!!!!

Va Va VOOM!!!!! :D :D :D :D :lol: :lol: :lol:
WENEVER..... WEAREVER ..... WOTEVER .... 4EVER .....
................................................................................... ARSENAL!!!!!

"No great things has ever been accomplished without somebody's crazy ideas; the biggest things in life have been achieved by people who, at the beginning, we would have judged crazy. And yet, if they had not had these crazy ideas, the world would have been more stupid." - Arsene Wenger..
green4life
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by green4life »

ardile wrote:
Today was a tale of 2 GKs,, while the Saints' GK saved his team with TOP Class saves, the GUNNERS' GK lost the points with ONE moment of MADNESS.....
No doubt... I nor sabi wetin Lehman dey think for that corner kick... rookie.. rookie error.. Goal Keeping 101: If you no dey 100% certain of saving a ball, don't come off your line... I dey happy say di bobo name no be Vincent Enyeama... odawise Ayo & them for done tok say di bobo no fit handle corners due to lack of european training. 8)
mke1010
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by mke1010 »

Waffiman-Nice write up. Unfortunately you make it seem like Wenger is a God and Arsenal is our religion. We must only praise and worship.
What is wrong with criticizing and asking questions? What is wrong in expressing dissapointment after defeat. I have alwyas made it clear that I beleive Wenger is a genius. He has built Arsenal the right way and has ensured the future of the club. That does not mean he is above mistake. That does not also mean that there is no room for flexibility. If Arsenal were facing a situation where winning the EPL and CL were a lost cause I don't think any Arsenal fan would be dissapointed at playing the kids. If we were in position to finish around 5th in the EPl and get knocked out in the round of 16 in the CL everyone would want the young players to gain valuable expereince. But that was not the case. The team was coming of a 49 game winning streak. Winning the EPL and CL were clearly targets this year-funds or no funds. Therefore, if the team needed modest reinforcements towards keeping the campaign going then it should hav been done.

If the were no funds in January that would be one thing. But to announce that there were funds and then arrogantly say you did not need it and then turn around exhibit the kind of defense we did in Munich is highly questionable. Arsenal needded reinforcement in the center of the defense. It did not need to be a hefty investment. Practicaly any average CD would be better than Cygan. Again imagine my amazement when Wenger trotted out Cygan on to the field in Munich. What happened to Senderos? I remember you, Waffiman, touting this dude as a world class CD prospect. Yet Wenger has consistently refused to give the guy a chance. I don't care how inexperienced he is, if he cannot displace Cygan in a game like that then why are we grooming him?

I don't advocate that spending big money year in year out is the way to go. As you pointed out it is better to be Juve than Lazio. However, nothing you say will justify the lack of investment in a CD. In addition, the fact that Wenger would let personal feeling prompt him to deny Edu and Lehman the chance to play during the crucial period that Arsenal lost the EPL deserves criticism.
You said it yourself that there were reasons beyond football that prompted Wenger to displace Lehman. In addition, Edu admittted that he was well enuff to play for 6 weeks but Wenger refused to play him. It is my view that had Edu played we might not be 12 points behind to day. All and all Wenger needs to be criticized when there is justification. Those saying he should never be questioned are the real fickle fans.

Arsenal is now a big club in terms of profile and success. All this is attributable to Wneger. However, success brings new challenges and standards. That is human nature. You cannot expect the fans to hav the same expectations as before. Arsenal is beyond that. The fans hav the right to bemoan under performance and lack of effort. I don't think I hav watched any game this season win or lose where I came away feeling that Arsenal was the more hard working team. Largely speaking, the fellows hav not played with passion or grit. They were out husstled by Manu and Munich. It is not that we lost that bothered me but the fact Manu showed more determination, passion and grit. In essence they had more fight in their bellies. These are elements whcih the players as well as the coach hav a direct influence over and deserve to be criticized duely.
Last edited by mke1010 on Sun Feb 27, 2005 7:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ziontrain
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Ziontrain »

mke1010 wrote: I don't advocate that spending big money year in year out is the way to go. As you pointed out it is better to be Juve than Lazio. However, nothing you say will justify the lack of investment in a CD. .
That was my post, not Waffi. When did we become the same person?
mke1010
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by mke1010 »

Zion- :D Sorry oh. I cross referenced you in my response to Waffi. its all good.
Football Manager
Egg
Egg

Post by Football Manager »

Wenger is changing now. I was very pleased he condemned “Van Person” abi na “Van People” red card he got.

I don't see why Cesc cannot start if he is fit. He is a kid that gives a lot of accurate passes and showed physical presence without necessarily having to commit murderous fouls. I also feel that Vieira can no longer be developed any more and may well graduate to start plaiting his hair.
MI5
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: Your voice, Your Arsenal

Post by MI5 »

Coach,

I always enjoy your write ups and still do but on your Arsenal team they are sinking and sinking fast... We shall end the misery once for all in a fortnight...

Coach wrote: This is by no means defeatist talk, but rather an invitation for Arsenal fans and those more able-minded debators, to throw in your tuppence'....

Its been bickered and bantered that change is needed in the home of London's pride, but what type of change...the rational to the irrational (change of management) has been speculated, but for the less adolescent, in terms of opinion, how would you address the matter?
Soldier of Fortune...
Ziontrain
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Ziontrain »

Football Manager wrote:Wenger is changing now. I was very pleased he condemned “Van Person” abi na “Van People” red card he got.
Spot on. But remember that Van P is not only new, he's a 20 year old kid.

Wenger needs to call out all the veterans who are supposed to be leading the team, but this season have rarely shown up when its time to be counted. When he does that we will know he has turned the corner.
Globero
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Globero »

I am so tired of hearing this patronizingly subjective comments about Arsenal FC. I am NOT A FICKLE FAN. I appreciate what Arsenal stands for, its history, progress, programmes and goals for a prosperous future. However I would be dammed, if just like a mother would spank her children for getting out of line, anyone would condemm me for stating the obvious mistakes made by individuals working for the club. Arsenal can chose to build 2 stadia for all I care, the primary function of the club is to sustain itself in terms of restocking its most valuable product i.e. its players and winning TROPHIES. If the points being made about Arsenal not having money were totally true, then Arsene WOULD STILL NOT BE ABLE TO BUY PLAYERS COME THIS SUMMER. Arsene Wenger has done the unthinkable for Arsenal, however with achievements come greater expectations. We can go on and on about how Chelsea have so much money it should be a sin. But then we have Man United - they have always had money as far as we are concerned, so why did they do a double on us this season, but have'nt been able to do same since last century ? Oh our excuse, we are broke, we are saving to build a stadium, we are building for the future ! Sentiments which are inexcuseable and as such have prompted the board to scream to the public that they have given AW the money needed to replenish his squad as he deems fit. Now I do acknowledge good players are hard to come by, but the problem will not go away even if the stadium is finished and the whole mentality of keeping old, buying established and grooming young players has to be well balanced. I respect Arsene Wenger with no buts. He is the man in charge at Arsenal which implies that he gains all the glory that comes with the success of the club as well as ALL the criticism. The players will do their part, but he should have total control over them - he instructs, buys and sells them . Its all about him and with him I lay my loyalty.

As always its ...

.... Arsenal for life ! :D
From this day forth, I stand by the entity that is ARSENAL.
I'm in despair when we lose, I rejoice when we win and I become emotional for all that happens in between
but may no one dare say I was not there when its all said and done - Globero
felarey
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by felarey »

Funny thing is if not for the heroics of goalkeeper Smith, Henry would have destroyed Southampton and there would have been no outcry until Arsenal is exposed by another big team again. Wenger needs to put the fire in the asses of his players, some need to benched for no reason and Reyes needs to be left out of the stadium for two matches. A truly commited professional that knows he has a CL game (a bigger fish to fry) in a few days will not be slapping an opponent while playing like a turkey. Reyes needs to watch Clichy and Cole from home for a few days to see how to put heart into something. Better still he needs to be locked up in his basement and made to watch the Reyes that played against Charlton some months ago with a projector.
Henry needs rest, it's not only about his body he just needs to be left out of it for a second. Probably hard with a Mr. Reyes as an alternative. Kolo, Vieira, Ljungberg mean well, the pressure is so overpowering that their weaknesses are being noticed especially when you have defenders and goalkeepers that drive watchers of football crazy.
Change is inevitable, progress is not. Anyone feeling Wenger is still getting it all right should remember that it takes time to get the momentum going. His team is decelerating and will need to develop the momentum to rise again if things continue like this. Wenger should rethink this reliance on the so called young guns.
La Reussi
Egg
Egg

Post by La Reussi »

Wenger has done well for Arsenal, but the truth is Wenger has also made mistakes.Our abilities or inabilities to know the difference and be bold enough to criticise or praise him, is what categorises us into fickle,transitional or real fans of Arsenal.

The things he has done wrong in IMHO

1) Refusal to buy another striker(To support Henry.Reyes na Winger as far as i'm concerned)
2)Refusal to by a CD
3)Refusal to buy a CM
4)Refusal to buy Sebastien Frey(Would have solved our goalkeeping problems)
5)Refusal to play Edu/Improve his contract.
6)Letting Parlour go, knowing fully well that Gilberto is not due back anytime soon.
7)Letting Kanu go,without getting a replacement(A ball holding and skillful support striker) :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
8)Overworking and overworking Henry(No wonder the man dey always get hamstring wahala)
9)Consistently playing and keeping the useless cygan at the club.

He's done well by:

1) Developing a young pool of talent at the club
2)Having the courage to release players he feels he doesn't need.
3)Reducing the wage bill.
4)Winning the double....bla blabla blablabla

The truth of the matter is, Wenger needs to invest some funds in tested and Solid players who can compete in the champions League and not disappear when the going gets tough.The difference between Manu,chealsea and Arsenal is that the players of the other 2 clubs are hungry,dedicated,determined and are not afraid of getting into a nasty dog fight.They know when to commit fouls,disrupt the flow of opponents game,and close down opponents when necessary.They don't also commit needless fouls that lead to red cards.

This can only come with experience my people.There's a lot of good sense in buying cheap and selling to make a profit.I also believe that a big club should buy some tested pros and throw into the mix.Make no mistakes, Arsenal is now a big club in Europe and Mr Wenger just has to change his strategies.If he does not, our hopes of winning the champions League will perpetually remain a mirage.

La Reussi
In all things and every situation, give thanks to God.
living
Egg
Egg

Post by living »

ZT wqell said i am just tired with all this mediocre performance
Things might come to those who wait but only those things left behind by those who hustle-Abraham Lincoln
MI5
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by MI5 »

As bad as it may seem.. Cygan is Arsenal's best defender at the moment... :)
Soldier of Fortune...
Waffiman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Waffiman »

La Reussi wrote:Wenger has done well for Arsenal, but the truth is Wenger has also made mistakes.Our abilities or inabilities to know the difference and be bold enough to criticise or praise him, is what categorises us into fickle,transitional or real fans of Arsenal.

The things he has done wrong in IMHO

1) Refusal to buy another striker(To support Henry.Reyes na Winger as far as i'm concerned)
2)Refusal to by a CD
3)Refusal to buy a CM
4)Refusal to buy Sebastien Frey(Would have solved our goalkeeping problems)
5)Refusal to play Edu/Improve his contract.
6)Letting Parlour go, knowing fully well that Gilberto is not due back anytime soon.
7)Letting Kanu go,without getting a replacement(A ball holding and skillful support striker) :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
8)Overworking and overworking Henry(No wonder the man dey always get hamstring wahala)
9)Consistently playing and keeping the useless cygan at the club.
He's done well by:

1) Developing a young pool of talent at the club
2)Having the courage to release players he feels he doesn't need.
3)Reducing the wage bill.
4)Winning the double....bla blabla blablabla

The truth of the matter is, Wenger needs to invest some funds in tested and Solid players who can compete in the champions League and not disappear when the going gets tough.The difference between Manu,chealsea and Arsenal is that the players of the other 2 clubs are hungry,dedicated,determined and are not afraid of getting into a nasty dog fight.They know when to commit fouls,disrupt the flow of opponents game,and close down opponents when necessary.They don't also commit needless fouls that lead to red cards.

This can only come with experience my people.There's a lot of good sense in buying cheap and selling to make a profit.I also believe that a big club should buy some tested pros and throw into the mix.Make no mistakes, Arsenal is now a big club in Europe and Mr Wenger just has to change his strategies.If he does not, our hopes of winning the champions League will perpetually remain a mirage.

La Reussi
My bro, there was no money in the summer to buy any players. Arsenal even had to reduce its wage bill for cashflow. That is why Arsenal let go of 26 players without any replacements. Sadly lenghty injuries to key players has exposed the thiness of our squad this season but we are now in a position to buy we have the Emirates money, plus Granada and the savings from wages.

No worries, we will get stronger from this season experience, the young players will be better for their experience for starters and Wenger would have learnt a lot about the characters of his players and I assure you Wenger will make changes which are due.

There is not much wrong with the team, we need a top class Goalie and CD, Jeremy is now in training and could well play against Sheffield United tomorrow. Gilberto will be back in two weeks time, we must open contract negotiations with him ASAP.
Waffiman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Waffiman »

We must not buy in a way that will stop the progress of our talented youngstars.

Muamba handed Highbury haven

By Ron Shepherd

Arsenal’s foreign policy is starting to move closer to home

ANYWHERE AS LONG AS IT’S WAY PAST Dover seems to have become the recruitment policy of Arsène Wenger. The Arsenal manager was condemned widely after the club became the first in the history of English football to field a starting line-up and five substitutes comprised of overseas players when they beat Crystal Palace 5-1 at Highbury a fortnight ago.Yet in an ironic twist, traditional breeding grounds such as Dalston, Stoke Newington and Walthamstow are back in vogue. Arsenal are now seeking previously untapped talent — young asylum-seekers. Fabrice Muamba, 17, is at the vanguard a new wave of “home-grown” footballers. Muamba, the son of a former political refugee, has overcome a life of trauma and tragedy to become another emerging star to roll off Arsenal’s cosmopolitan production line.
It has not just been the club’s transfer policy that has seen the Arsenal squad fill with foreign players. In recent years the net has been cast far and wide to land the best teenagers from abroad and integrate them into their academy.

The most outstanding example is Francesc Fàbregas, lured from Barcelona 18 months ago as soon as he was eligible to sign professional forms. Philippe Senderos, the centre half from Switzerland, Quincy Owusu-Abeyie, the Dutch winger, and Arturo Lupoli, the Italian forward, are three other academy graduates on the brink of a breakthrough.

Now the club have identified a pool of foreign talent living on their doorstep, the backstreets of North London, after the remarkable rise of Muamba, a midfield player. Five years ago he arrived in London to join his family who had been forced to flee the Democratic Republic of Congo in fear of their lives. Last month Muamba played for the England Under-17 team in a friendly tournament featuring Portugal, France and Norway on the Algarve in preparation for the European Youth Championship this summer.

The youngsters that Arsenal are keeping their eyes on are not just from Africa but the Balkan countries and other nations that have suffered political turmoil. Liam Brady, the Arsenal academy director, said: “At the moment in London there are hell of a lot of talented kids who are asylum kids. It won’t be long before you see them in the first teams, especially of London clubs. (Muamba’s) development in such a short space of time is remarkable.”

Muamba, who now possesses a British passport, is a midfield marauder in the mould of Patrick Vieira, his role model. John Peacock, the England Under-17 coach, believes that Muamba could progress through the international ranks. “Of course Fabrice still has a long way to go but he’s already played for us a couple of times and done well,” Peacock said. “He has a presence about him but most importantly he has a very good temperament and he is hungry. He’s always got a smile on his face.”

Little wonder that Muamba is enjoying life as he seeks to make his mark in the game given the tragedy that has surrounded his family. Marcel, his father, was forced to leave Congo, formerly Zaire, in 1994 because of his political beliefs. After several years fighting his case and being forced to live in detention centres, he was granted indefinite leave to stay in this country.

His brother was not so fortunate. Ilunga Muamba, Fabrice’s uncle, was killed because of his political activities. Eventually, though, Fabrice was reunited with his father, travelling to England with his mother and soon set about making his mark. Despite being such a late starter, he made an instant impact in schools football in Waltham Forest, northeast London, before being snapped up by Arsenal two years ago ahead of Wimbledon, who had also expressed an interest.

Marcel Muamba said: “I am so proud of Fabrice. Our family suffered so much after I had to leave our country just because of my political views. It was hard for him when he was young. Being apart, I was always worried about him, but he now has the chance to fulfil his dream and become a top player.”