Manchester United - News, Developments & Season

Discuss World Football here. Continental football, International Leagues, and players.
benteke
Eaglet
Eaglet
Manchester United - News, Developments & Season

Post by benteke »

Greetings fellow Man U supporters during this crucial era where we have to get back to the old glory days :thumbs:

hope we can meet here for our victory runs and the occasional whinge this season

Firstly of worry to me is the amount of injuries we have, i dont even know who is NOT injured, whats going on :biggrin:
Last edited by benteke on Wed Jun 17, 2015 8:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
benteke
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: Manchester United - news & developments 2014/2015 seaso

Post by benteke »

Manchester United ‏@ManUtd - Louis van Gaal has confirmed that #mufc defenders Rafael and Phil Jones are unavailable for selection against Arsenal.

- More on @BlindDaley: "It's not as bad as the doctors thought after the match. It shall be a long story - but not six months or something."

- Louis van Gaal confirms Falcao will return to full training with the first team on Sunday.

- Van Gaal says Angel Di Maria and @D_DeGea are fit for #mufc's game at Arsenal.
wiseone
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by wiseone »

Manchester United have had 39 injuries since LVG took over the club 5 months ago!

http://www.espnfc.com/club/manchester-u ... s-continue

For the Arsenal game they have an entire XI injured: De Gea, Rafael, Jones, Evans, Rojo, Shaw, Blind, Carrick, Falcao, Young, Lingard (in addition to Januzaj, Fellaini, Herrera, and Smalling who recently returned from injury). That is shocking.
Last edited by wiseone on Sun Jan 15, 2023 3:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
felarey
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by felarey »

Dunno what's up with all these injuries, but I hope we can still get 11 Man Utd players to avoid another slip up against Assanal. It's been a trying season, worse than the last when we had the recent exit of Sir Alex to excuse the pains.
"Winning one trophy is good, I tell you. No matter what trophy it might be, you've got to take it.” - Sir Alex Ferguson

ENGLISH PREMIERSHIP CHAMP20NS, UEFA CHAMPIONS LEAGUE WINN3RS
benteke
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by benteke »

wiseone wrote:Manchester United have had 39 injuries still LVG took over the club 5 months ago!

For the Arsenal game they have an entire XI injured: De Gea, Rafael, Jones, Evans, Rojo, Shaw, Blind, Carrick, Falcao, Young, Lingard (in addition to Januzaj, Fellaini, Herrera, and Smalling who recently returned from injury). That is shocking.
felarey wrote:Dunno what's up with all these injuries, but I hope we can still get 11 Man Utd players to avoid another slip up against Assanal. It's been a trying season, worse than the last when we had the recent exit of Sir Alex to excuse the pains.
We also had a pretty huge injury list in that season when we lost the title to City by goal difference, that is basically what lost us the title IMHO.
I remember Vidic and Rio barely played and the likes of Anderson and Cleverly were out most of the season as awell as Valencia

Something not right with our physio department

Does anyone know why Chelsea has so few injuries, is it anything to do with Mourinho methodolgies
felarey
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by felarey »

benteke wrote:
wiseone wrote:Manchester United have had 39 injuries still LVG took over the club 5 months ago!

felarey wrote:Dunno what's up with all these injuries, but I hope we can still get 11 Man Utd players to avoid another slip up against Assanal. It's been a trying season, worse than the last when we had the recent exit of Sir Alex to excuse the pains.
We also had a pretty huge injury list in that season when we lost the title to City by goal difference, that is basically what lost us the title IMHO.
I remember Vidic and Rio barely played and the likes of Anderson and Cleverly were out most of the season as awell as Valencia

Does anyone know why Chelsea has so few injuries, is it anything to do with Mourinho methodolgies
Or maybe it's to do with their female physio :lol: They're healthy, yet Mourinho doesn't rest players.
"Winning one trophy is good, I tell you. No matter what trophy it might be, you've got to take it.” - Sir Alex Ferguson

ENGLISH PREMIERSHIP CHAMP20NS, UEFA CHAMPIONS LEAGUE WINN3RS
balo
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by balo »

Only 6 replies. What has happened to the Man U brand on this here site?
If Noah had been truly wise, he would have swatted those two flies. -- Helen Castle

http://i42.tinypic.com/210hk01.jpg
wiseone
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by wiseone »

What is so puzzling is that the injuries seem to disproportionately affect the defenders. We always knew that Rafael (and his twin Fabio), Evans, Smalling, Jones, Vida and Rio were as fragile as a cream cracker. What is surprising is that even new defenders signed by the club immediately fall victim to the same injury curse (Rojo, Blind, Shaw). Even the reserve players called up to replace them have managed to get injured if they play in defence (Blackett, Valencia, Young).

Everyone keeps saying Man Utd need to sign a world class defender. No - they simply need to sign a defender who can play football for 90 minutes without breaking down!

Is there something odd going on at Man Utd? Are the training sessions too intense?

The remarkable thing is that if everyone was fit, Man Utd would have a match day squad bettered only by Man City and Chelsea:
De Gea, Rafael, Jones, Evans, Shaw, Herrera, Carrick, Di Maria, Rooney, Falcao, RVP. Subs: Smalling, Rojo, Blind, Fellaini, Mata, Januzaj, Lindegaard. That is not a bad team (with Young and Fletcher not even making the bench).
benteke wrote: We also had a pretty huge injury list in that season when we lost the title to City by goal difference, that is basically what lost us the title IMHO.

Last edited by wiseone on Mon Nov 24, 2014 12:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Skylolo
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Skylolo »

Opening a news and developments thread midway through the season....#finished. :taunt:
To God be the glory
paj
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by paj »

Skylolo wrote:Opening a news and developments thread midway through the season....#finished. :taunt:
..African timing :tic:
The Brunch Mixtape Project
Available on all major streaming platforms :)
bamenda boy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by bamenda boy »

We will be ok. Assanal go still hia wen!!!
Only two things in life are certain - death and taxes. But there is one other unpleasant certainty: criticism. No one escapes it entirely and often our careers, our emotional stability, even our happiness depends on how we react to it."By Benjamin Franklin"
akamoke

Post by akamoke »

We are having bad luck with injuries at the moment...but...that is part and parcel of the game
For my sceptical Nigerian Friends : Pessimism is great because you are either always right or pleasantly surprised.
wiseone
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by wiseone »

That is a huge understatement. Having 39 injuries in 5 months goes beyond "bad luck"! There is no way a Nigerian club side could have an injury list like that without accusations of juju or poisoning against the physio and team cook! :D
akamoke wrote:We are having bad luck with injuries at the moment...but...that is part and parcel of the game
Last edited by wiseone on Sun Nov 23, 2014 12:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Comrade Machel
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Comrade Machel »

wiseone wrote:That is a huge understatement. Having 39 injuries in 5 months goes beyond "bad luck"! There is no way a Nigerian club side could have an injury list like that without accusations of juju or poisoning against the medial team and team cook! :D
akamoke wrote:We are having bad luck with injuries at the moment...but...that is part and parcel of the game
:D
Ratlala :thumbs: :D

https://youtu.be/8CZLsYase0Q
benteke
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by benteke »

wiseone wrote:What is so puzzling is that the injuries seem to disproportionately affect the defenders. We always knew that Rafael (and his twin Fabio), Evans, Smalling, Jones, Vida and Rio were as fragile as cream cracker. What is surprising is that even new defenders signed by the club immediately fall victim to the same injury curse (Rojo, Blind, Shaw). Even the reserve players called up to replace them have managed to get injured if they play in defence (Blackett, Valencia, Young).

Everyone keeps saying Man Utd need to sign a world class defender. No - they simply need to sign a defender who can play football for 90 minutes without breaking down!

Is there something odd going on at Man Utd? Are the training sessions too intense?

The remarkable thing is that if everyone was fit, Man Utd would have a match day squad bettered only by Man City and Chelsea:
De Gea, Rafael, Jones, Evans, Shaw, Herrera, Carrick, Di Maria, Rooney, Falcao, RVP. Subs: Smalling, Rojo, Blind, Fellaini, Mata, Januzaj, Lindegaard. That is not a bad team (with Young and Fletcher not even making the bench).
i also dont know what to make of these injuries, but i also note that quite a number of them are just bad luck, players getting injured due to clashes with opposing layers,

But i think the one we gonna miss more is Daley Blind, did you see how we struggled in midfield it was a highway for Arsenal, compared to how comfortable we looked vs City and Chelsea, clearly Blind does a very understated job, very underrated player
wiseone
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by wiseone »

Replace Blind with "Carrick" in your bolded statements below and I will still agree. He was a calm influence and did the "dirty" jobs well against Arsenal (several blocks, interceptions, and also relieved pressure on his team by spreading the play with intelligent passing).
benteke wrote: i also dont know what to make of these injuries, but i also note that quite a number of them are just bad luck, players getting injured due to clashes with opposing layers,

But i think the one we gonna miss more is Daley Blind, did you see how we struggled in midfield it was a highway for Arsenal, compared to how comfortable we looked vs City and Chelsea, clearly Blind does a very understated job, very underrated player
benteke
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by benteke »

wiseone wrote:Replace Blind with "Carrick" in your bolded statements below and I will still agree. He was a calm influence and did the "dirty" jobs well against Arsenal (several blocks, interceptions, and also relieved pressure on his team by spreading the play with intelligent passing).
benteke wrote: i also dont know what to make of these injuries, but i also note that quite a number of them are just bad luck, players getting injured due to clashes with opposing layers,

there is one thing i have never liked about Carrick - he usually hides when the team is under pressure

those first 20mins we came under pressure simply because the young lads McNair and Blackett constantly found themselves with noone to pass to, Carrick was not making himself available and whenever they found him he simply returns the ball, even De Gea was forced to make panicked clearances
This is is where Blind is superior and brings more control, he is good at relieving goalkeeper and defenders of pressure and moving the ball elsewhere by simply making himself available all the time.
Thats one reason why Scholes came out of retirement and did the same
anointed
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by anointed »

Skylolo wrote:Opening a news and developments thread midway through the season....#finished. :taunt:
So it's midway into the season already? Small wonder Arsenal always win the EPL in October,
TOUCH NOT MY ANOINTED...
For the preaching of the cross is to them that perish foolishness; but unto us which are saved it is the power of God. For it is written, I will destroy the wisdom of the wise, and will bring to nothing the understanding...hath not God made foolish the wisdom of this world? 21 For after that in the wisdom of God the world by wisdom knew not God, it pleased God by the foolishness of preaching to save them that believe
kajifu
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by kajifu »

anointed wrote:
So it's midway into the season already? Small wonder Arsenal always win the EPL in October,
So you wait to respond after we open yash to manu?Smh
benteke
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by benteke »

benteke wrote:
wiseone wrote:Replace Blind with "Carrick" in your bolded statements below and I will still agree. He was a calm influence and did the "dirty" jobs well against Arsenal (several blocks, interceptions, and also relieved pressure on his team by spreading the play with intelligent passing).

there is one thing i have never liked about Carrick - he usually hides when the team is under pressure

those first 20mins we came under pressure simply because the young lads McNair and Blackett constantly found themselves with noone to pass to, Carrick was not making himself available and whenever they found him he simply returns the ball, even De Gea was forced to make panicked clearances
This is is where Blind is superior and brings more control, he is good at relieving goalkeeper and defenders of pressure and moving the ball elsewhere by simply making himself available all the time.
Thats one reason why Scholes came out of retirement and did the same
:bump:

Carrick was quite impressive today i have to say, but these are his kinds of games, not big ones, am sure LVG will recognise this :mrgreen:

one more injury Di Maria
wiseone
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by wiseone »

This is insane. Di Maria's injury is the 41st injury Man Utd have suffered in the last 5 months!
Carrick gets unfairly criticised. It takes an "educated" football eye to see the good work he does for the team. Watch this video analysis demonstrating the great work he does for his team.

[/video]
wiseone
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by wiseone »

An article on the value of Carrick:
http://www.football365.com/f365-says/9581853/F365-Says
Carrick's composed, quietly selfless work at the base of midfield has been an instrumental influence on Manchester United's successes. He is the forgotten orchestrator, dictating the tempo of matches with elegant passing, a commanding positional presence, and an assured defensive head, ensuring United are the team in control of the match. As Xabi Alonso once noted, he is the type of player who "instead of shining themselves makes the team work as a collective... who makes those around him play."

Since 2011, Michael Carrick has averaged an impressive 2.5 tackles per match (over the same period, Yaya Toure has averaged 1.4 and Steven Gerrard 2.4), and 2.2 interceptions (more than any other player in the division). Analysing United's defensive shortcomings this season without factoring in Carrick's absence would be a fatal oversight, and yet, across the media, his name is consistently absent from discussions.

Carrick's defensive work is only half of the story. Crucially, he - unlike many of his defensive midfield counterparts - scores unusually lowly on clearances (1.7 per match). This is no coincidence. Unlike many of his contemporaries, Carrick is calm and intelligent on the ball, following interceptions with simple passes where others would clear, recycling possession and attempting to start counter-attacks.

In each of the last three seasons, Carrick made more passes per match than any other United player; averaging 74 at an 88% completion rate, placing him firmly amongst the elite defensive midfielders in the division (over the same period, Yaya Toure averaged 75 passes at 89% completion, and Steven Gerrard averaged 60 passes at 84.9%).

What's more, this skill could offer United a fluidity their game so desperately craves. As highlighted frequently in post-match analyses, Van Gaal has assembled a side of polarised skill sets. They possess a plethora of explosive attackers, a handful of useful defenders, and not much in between; with his possessional control, Carrick is the glue United need to merge their defence and attack together.

We have already seen some evidence of this. Against Crystal Palace - in his first 90 minutes of the season and before another injury set back - Carrick racked up an astonishing 107 passes at an 89% completion rate, more passes in a single game than any other player has achieved this season. What's more, United controlled 71% of possession (up 12.4% on their season average), and kept their first clean sheet since August. It was only Palace, but still.

Although rarely cited by journalists as a vital element of United's style, Carrick has consistently proven his credentials in a United shirt. His return to the heart of midfield will bind the defence together and help to unlock attacking potential. Van Gaal would do well to take note of the comments Alex Ferguson made during his final, title-winning campaign as manager: "Carrick is the key player. If you look at the central midfielders in the Premier League, he can match up against any of them in terms of quality. He is the key for us".
benteke
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by benteke »

wiseone wrote:An article on the value of Carrick:
http://www.football365.com/f365-says/9581853/F365-Says
Carrick's composed, quietly selfless work at the base of midfield has been an instrumental influence on Manchester United's successes. He is the forgotten orchestrator, dictating the tempo of matches with elegant passing, a commanding positional presence, and an assured defensive head, ensuring United are the team in control of the match. As Xabi Alonso once noted, he is the type of player who "instead of shining themselves makes the team work as a collective... who makes those around him play."

Since 2011, Michael Carrick has averaged an impressive 2.5 tackles per match (over the same period, Yaya Toure has averaged 1.4 and Steven Gerrard 2.4), and 2.2 interceptions (more than any other player in the division). Analysing United's defensive shortcomings this season without factoring in Carrick's absence would be a fatal oversight, and yet, across the media, his name is consistently absent from discussions.

Carrick's defensive work is only half of the story. Crucially, he - unlike many of his defensive midfield counterparts - scores unusually lowly on clearances (1.7 per match). This is no coincidence. Unlike many of his contemporaries, Carrick is calm and intelligent on the ball, following interceptions with simple passes where others would clear, recycling possession and attempting to start counter-attacks.

In each of the last three seasons, Carrick made more passes per match than any other United player; averaging 74 at an 88% completion rate, placing him firmly amongst the elite defensive midfielders in the division (over the same period, Yaya Toure averaged 75 passes at 89% completion, and Steven Gerrard averaged 60 passes at 84.9%).

What's more, this skill could offer United a fluidity their game so desperately craves. As highlighted frequently in post-match analyses, Van Gaal has assembled a side of polarised skill sets. They possess a plethora of explosive attackers, a handful of useful defenders, and not much in between; with his possessional control, Carrick is the glue United need to merge their defence and attack together.

We have already seen some evidence of this. Against Crystal Palace - in his first 90 minutes of the season and before another injury set back - Carrick racked up an astonishing 107 passes at an 89% completion rate, more passes in a single game than any other player has achieved this season. What's more, United controlled 71% of possession (up 12.4% on their season average), and kept their first clean sheet since August. It was only Palace, but still.

Although rarely cited by journalists as a vital element of United's style, Carrick has consistently proven his credentials in a United shirt. His return to the heart of midfield will bind the defence together and help to unlock attacking potential. Van Gaal would do well to take note of the comments Alex Ferguson made during his final, title-winning campaign as manager: "Carrick is the key player. If you look at the central midfielders in the Premier League, he can match up against any of them in terms of quality. He is the key for us".

my main problem with Carrick is that Man Utd always looks overwhelmed in midfield when he is in charge as a DM, especially vs big teams, and teams seem to create a flurry of chances by slicing throught midfield
for the first time in a while we went toe to toe with Chelsea and City in midfield and Carrick was absent, we didnt win those matches for dofferent reasons, but i dont kniw what exactly is lacking with carrick