Life as a Shooting stars player...

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

ojafranpa
Egg
Egg
Re: Life as a Shooting stars player...

Post by ojafranpa »

megapro wrote:UP UP UP SOOTING!

The great Oloye has done it again. Lovely read.

Your story confirms that Ibadan is/was truly a remarkable place. Easily the best year I ever had and If I had a choice I will not hesitate to go back there.
The only city in west africa where one could buy 5 kobo meat. NYSC is the last time in life you can do anything and go away with it sha.

Arriving NYSC orientation camp at Ede in 1991 IBB split the state in 2. Some of us footballers were posted to Oyo, the others Osun. We trained the entire year preparing for NYSC directors cup at that same UCH field and had friendly games against Exide, housing etc. Sam Ojebode was our coach before he was replaced by Raufu Salami while Shooting's captain Tunji Adeyemi from the second batch was redeployed to serve in Oyo state, and joined us in the attack. Phillip Osondu had accounted for his missing Saudi 89. tony Oneweek was our Libero, and his partner was Umoh that Tunde Bamidele took from Exide to Tornadoes, and I think BCC.

Ibadan is a soccer crazy town and Sooting is a more than an institution and tradition. The firm I was doing my primary assignment designed Engr Remi Asuni's house and one of my tasks was to supervise. Remi and I would argue IICC/ Insurance supremacy from his office to his site everyday. They dont give up. I find myself fortunate to follow the teams run to the CAF cup 1992. They played good stuff but going for the semifinals, Tarila led five others; Dotun, Golden, Benjamin James, Awoyemi and Taofeek Malik to abscound at a stopover in Italy. Only Taofeek came back and was pardoned for the final.

When Stores came visiting that year accompanied with 30 molue buses, a fan was shot and the game was stalemated.

Saliu Isiaka went to JIB rocks and showed what CD is all about. Bus stop.

Nice one again Oloye.
That guy is a serious baller, plays like Cannavaro.
Make good thinking a priority so that you can make Godly placement a possibility.
Aswani
Egg
Egg

Post by Aswani »

Dammy wrote: At that time, only Igbo players were allowed to play for Rangers.
I am not sure about this statement. Even though Adokiye might have been the first non-Igbo person, I am not sure this was ever true.
oloye
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by oloye »

Kabiru Adejare was the captain of the team when I joined Shooting, Kabiru started playing for Shooting straught from high school, he had represented Oyo state at the academicals level, he was a goal keeper. One of the stories i was told by the lads about Kabiru was whenever Kabiru come out to punch the ball , i should do everything to make sure i stay away from his punch, i was told that no one takes his punch and remains standing. Then the story would continue about how he was an Imam boy, how he is so spiritually strong I was even told he had incissions on his arms which make his punches to carry more weight than was neccesary.... I can guess what is going on in your mind....why does a goalie need to carry such power punches? Well it was not because of football that Kabiru needed those punches....story or should i say that legend has it, that before he made football his means of livelihood, he used to follow politicians about, especially in the second republic..ehemm, please dont ask me what he does for them, Kabiru is now retired and a respectable Imam living and enjoying life in London. But when you hear the way the lad would go on and on about the punches which Kabiru carries, got me curious, but not curious enough not to duck out of the way of his punches. My fellow defender Sessy Eboigbe, was not only good at reminding me , i have seen him demonstrate the fear of Kabiru's punching ability. Was this some fable or what? I was curious to find out, the opportunity soon provided itself.

It was in our league match with IBL Ilesha, they had become a worrisome and credible rival to us since the demise of the old rivals Water Corporation and Leventis United. It was an away match. I still cannot recollect what led to the fracas, but for some reasons Kabiru got into an argument with the IBL coach, the late Femi Ojo, in this process his players took up arms and a couple of them from the bench decided to attack Kabiru....what i saw still baffles me till today. The first person that went near Kabiru, gbam ..he was sprawling on the ground, the next person..it was gbam gbam, he joined his colleague on the floor, the third one,soon joined the other two on the floor. Okay we ran towards Kabiru as we should to lend support, he was doing quiet okay, by this time no one, i mean no one was bold enough to go near him. As for me i was just staring at him, my jaws dropped open...wonders on th3 football field. These guys sprawling on the floor were trained footballers, they were supposed to be fit, was Kabiru just a powerful puncher or was there more to those punches? I dont know ...why ask me. All i know is that for the rest of my time with Shooting, i always watch out for Kabiru, thank fully Raymond King was in goal for most of the time. But let us just say Kabiru had an aura around him and i saw him as more than just Kabiru....he was special oh.
"There is big pressure at this club as you cannot be like the manager at Arsenal and ask for five years to try and to win one trophy" - Jose Mourinho

.... I believe in God. I try to be a good man so He can have a bit of time to give me a hand when I need it - Jose Mourinho
oloye
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by oloye »

Aswani wrote:
Dammy wrote: At that time, only Igbo players were allowed to play for Rangers.
I am not sure about this statement. Even though Adokiye might have been the first non-Igbo person, I am not sure this was ever true.
Very true....the first non igbo man to play for Rangers apart from the two Brasilians Diaz came with was Dotun Alatishe.
"There is big pressure at this club as you cannot be like the manager at Arsenal and ask for five years to try and to win one trophy" - Jose Mourinho

.... I believe in God. I try to be a good man so He can have a bit of time to give me a hand when I need it - Jose Mourinho
oloye
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by oloye »

The match against ACB of Lagos at home was an interesting one for some reasons which i would try to recollect here. We hosted ACB home first, and in the week they came visiting i was suspended having accumulated 3 yellow cards. I think Muda Lawal was also missing from the line up. Our viggest worries were two fearsome players we knew they would be playing against us, the Messrs Sunday Eboigbe and Bright Omokaro aka 10-10. These two players were celebrated national team players, legends of Nigerian football. As defenders , these were the best in the profession, they were the hardest and the most ruthlessly efficient in the business. Let me just say Sunny was one of my role models when it comes to playing as a center half. He was supreme in the air ruthless, trying to contest with him in the air is akin to a death wish.

Bright was his compatriot and bossom friend, they had both played for the great NNB fc of Benin and for many years formed a well knit mean defensive unit, which served both club and country well. If Sunny was hard as a rock, i think Bright whether it was delibrate or by nature, had an edge to his ruthlessness..some elements of a psychopath i would say. He hated being beaten and would do anything to prevent it. He was athletic, he was quick and he was fearless, It was said that he had played for many seasons without ever getting injured. Then there were some salacious stories of his mum being a traditioner witch doctor and she had fortified him very well...we were tild he cannot be harmed by anyone. Bright got his nickname 10-10 from the African cup of nations 1988, when on seeing that Nigeria had gone down to 10 men and with the extra time approaching the end with penalties loomingm, he decided to level the equation he took out an Algerian player bring the two teams to 10 apiece. He was right it went into penalties and Eagles won, he became a national hero and the name stuck.

With these two in the team, we had enough to worry about. I can still remember as part of our team talk coach Owolabi, who was also listed to play in the match, cautioned the other attackers not to go near the two. In all my life as a footballer, i have never heard a coach caution players not to go near the opponent...never. But Owoblow knew them inside out, Muda Lawal cautioned aalong this line as well. Both Owoblow and Muda had played with them at the national team, so they were in good position to give this advice. Owoblow volunteered to play as the central attacker, he told us he knew how ro handle them..relief for everyone.

Come the match day, although i was not dressed , i was in the dressing room nevertheless. I had met Sunny at NNB we both signed before th3 disbandment of the team, Sunny had this mean stare and does not talk much. We exchanged a brief acknowledgment of each other, but i was eager to see the dreaded Bright. Boy oh boy...Bright made a terrifying entrance into the dressing room,he lived up to the intimidating reports that preceded him. He had on iron studs and he walked in delibrately dragging them on the floor and they produced this grating sound. Then he went into this routine of jumps, with every leap you see a supreme athlete rearing to go. He had this crazed look with bloodshot eyes...i said to nyself thank God i am not the one going to play against this mad man. He did not speak or acknowledge anyone, he had the look that dares anyone of us to cross his path on the field. The battle was set.

On the field the two lived up to their billings, 5 minutes into the game, Owoblow got the better of Sunny and took a shot at their goal, it was saved by the goalie. I can still see the glare Bright gave Sunny whike beratting him for allowing. After that move Owoblow was in trouble, the two proceeded to manhandle him so brutally we were worried for him on the bench. Then came the moment Bright had been waiting for, it was a 50-50 tackle, you see Bright had a way of going into tackle in order to send the fear of God into you. I think he does it with the intention of saying...see what i could easily do to you,, if you make the mistake of facing me again. He was quick, he was strong , he deployed both he went into a full blooded tacke that saw Owoblow crumple into a bundle. Owoblow wqs strong, he was built like a tank , only him could take such tackle and still stand up. Thankfully he stood up, but even Owoblow knew when to steer clear of a psycopath, he did. For the rest of the match he took his own advice and stayed well clear of the man called 10-10. The match ended goaless, i cannot remember if we threatened their keeper in any way other than the lone shot by Owoblow. I saw two well oiled defensive machine at work...i was impressed.

skillful
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by skillful »

Damunk wrote:
oloye wrote:
anikulapo wrote:
oluwaseye the 1st. wrote:Oloye!!! O se!! O se ooo!! O se Ooo!! O se gan ni !! Wow!! You brought back memories for those of us who grew up in Ibadan in the late 70's until the late 80's when we all fled abroad!! Your description is so vivid and though a die hard Rangers supporter, I saw a lot of Shooting Stars matches at Liberty stadium of particular mention was the game against TP Mazembe I think in 1980 after the nations cup triumph, it was my first time of seeing white soccer boots courtesy of Kabongo Ngoy!! Oloye you brought memories please write a book and if you can take up Obotes offer, you must find a way to give back to the game in Nigeria. I live here now and our football is run by mediocres the problem is not just Keshi he is just a tiny spec of the wider malaise.

You were a Rangers supporter ?
Because his name is Sheye abi, there were a core group of people outside of Easte Central State who love Rangers to death :thumbs: :thumbs: I happen to be one of those people.
Same here, and my sister. My dad was a die-hard IICC supporter so it made for some 'interesting' family dynamics! :lol:

Oloye, great write up, and I have only read the first two instalments so far!
Meanwhile, was Chief Olukanmi Interim Chairman during your time? I ask because he granted CE an interview a few years ago just before he died, and he spoke of the challenges of trying to save the famous club. Not sure you were a CE member back then (about 6 years ago I'd guess), but you might be able to relate to much of what he said.

You can catch it here: viewtopic.php?f=18&t=137483&p=2063453#p2063453
I supported Rangers as well, in a household full of shooting stars supporters as we were in the old oyo state back then.
"I first saw David Rocastle play in 1983 for the youth team. I remember coming home excitedly from the match and telling my family, "I've just watched the nearest thing to a Brazilian footballer you are ever likely to see - and he comes from Lewisham." - David Dein on Rocky Rocastle
Aswani
Egg
Egg

Post by Aswani »

oloye wrote: Then there were some salacious stories of his mum being a traditioner witch doctor and she had fortified him very well...we were tild he cannot be harmed by anyone.
Whenever NNB played Bendel Insurance, Insurance fans regularly berated him about his mum having a mental illness.
oloye wrote:
skillful wrote:
Damunk wrote:
oloye wrote:
anikulapo wrote:
oluwaseye the 1st. wrote:Oloye!!! O se!! O se ooo!! O se Ooo!! O se gan ni !! Wow!! You brought back memories for those of us who grew up in Ibadan in the late 70's until the late 80's when we all fled abroad!! Your description is so vivid and though a die hard Rangers supporter, I saw a lot of Shooting Stars matches at Liberty stadium of particular mention was the game against TP Mazembe I think in 1980 after the nations cup triumph, it was my first time of seeing white soccer boots courtesy of Kabongo Ngoy!! Oloye you brought memories please write a book and if you can take up Obotes offer, you must find a way to give back to the game in Nigeria. I live here now and our football is run by mediocres the problem is not just Keshi he is just a tiny spec of the wider malaise.

Because his name is Sheye abi, there were a core group of people outside of Easte Central State who love Rangers to death :thumbs: :thumbs: I happen to be one of those people.
Same here, and my sister. My dad was a die-hard IICC supporter so it made for some 'interesting' family dynamics! :lol:

Meanwhile, was Chief Olukanmi Interim Chairman during your time? I ask because he granted CE an interview a few years ago just before he died, and he spoke of the challenges of trying to save the famous club. Not sure you were a CE member back then (about 6 years ago I'd guess), but you might be able to relate to much of what he said.

I supported Rangers as well, in a household full of shooting stars supporters as we were in the old oyo state back then.
We exchanged a brief acknowledgment of each other, but i was eager to see the dreaded Bright. Boy oh boy...Bright made a terrifying entrance into the dressing room,he lived up to the intimidating reports that preceded him. He had on iron studs and he walked in delibrately dragging them on the floor and they produced this grating sound.
Didn't you say he did this, in another thread, at a Zonal FA Cup group match (Calabar I think) when you were at KWASU and he was at NNB? One of us is getting old, the story isn't though. BTW I am not accusing you of anything, your stories are great, in truth it's a shame we are getting them for free.
oloye
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by oloye »

Aswani wrote:
oloye wrote: Then there were some salacious stories of his mum being a traditioner witch doctor and she had fortified him very well...we were tild he cannot be harmed by anyone.
Whenever NNB played Bendel Insurance, Insurance fans regularly berated him about his mum having a mental illness.
oloye wrote:
skillful wrote:
Damunk wrote:
oloye wrote:
anikulapo wrote:

We exchanged a brief acknowledgment of each other, but i was eager to see the dreaded Bright. Boy oh boy...Bright made a terrifying entrance into the dressing room,he lived up to the intimidating reports that preceded him. He had on iron studs and he walked in delibrately dragging them on the floor and they produced this grating sound.
Didn't you say he did this, in another thread, at a Zonal FA Cup group match (Calabar I think) when you were at KWASU and he was at NNB? One of us is getting old, the story isn't though. BTW I am not accusing you of anything, your stories are great, in truth it's a shame we are getting them for free.
It was the same scene that i described. I know i have described that entrance once on this site...it had to do with 3SC. In 1986 we (KWASU) and NNB were in the same Enugu Zone, but he was not with NNB then. I believe they (Sunny and Bright) had moved to Abiola Babes by then.

megapro
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by megapro »

oloye wrote:
Aswani wrote:
oloye wrote:

It was the same scene that i described. I know i have described that entrance once on this site...it had to do with 3SC. In 1986 we (KWASU) and NNB were in the same Enugu Zone, but he was not with NNB then. I believe they (Sunny and Bright) had moved to Abiola Babes by then.
Oloye, they both were still with NNB 86.
They left at the end of the 86 season alonside Wilfred Agbonavbare and Boston Omosigho to Abiola.
megapro 2012:
Keshi should be left alone to continue his program, and seriously has a chance of casting his name in gold
oloye
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by oloye »

megapro wrote:
oloye wrote:
Aswani wrote:
oloye wrote:

They left at the end of the 86 season alonside Wilfred Agbonavbare and Boston Omosigho to Abiola.
For whatever reason they did not feature in Enugu zone , if i remember very well it was one fair skin guy that played in their central defence, Theophilus or whatever he is called. Definitely Bright was not in the team we met.

GIN
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by GIN »

The exodus of Bright, Sunny, Wilfred and Humphrey took place after the 86 season. 1986 was a very tough year for NNB due to the early exit from the continental championship and poor league run that almost sent the team down to division two. Bright, Sunny and Wilfred bailed out to join Abiola Babes while Humphrey went on to sign for Leventis utd. NNB came back alive in 87 with the introduction of kakaraka, joe okoh, mombossa brodericks and Chris Edomoiya aka police of senegal.

Bros Oloye, stop playing around and write your book. :clap: :clap:
Samson Siasia speaking FACTs about 2008.
“I have been waiting for this job for almost three years now and that was before the 2008 Beijing Olympics. I was to be the coach of the Super Eagles after the interview conducted for the job. But that time I said no, I wasn’t ready. Now that I am ready, I am not intimidated at all. I am ready for this job,” he declared matter-of-factly" http://africanfootball.mtnfootball.com/ ... m_ID=36099
Aswani
Egg
Egg

Post by Aswani »

megapro wrote:
oloye wrote:
Aswani wrote:
oloye wrote:

Omughele also went that year I believe. I remember once seeing him waiting in front of Uniben main gate with his travel bag thumbing a lift towards Ore on a Thursday or Friday afternoon.

Imagine that, a whole squad member of a top Division 1 team. That was a crying shame.
megapro
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by megapro »

Aswani wrote:
megapro wrote:
oloye wrote:
Aswani wrote:
oloye wrote:

Omughele also went that year I believe. I remember once seeing him waiting in front of Uniben main gate with his travel bag thumbing a lift towards Ore on a Thursday or Friday afternoon.

Imagine that, a whole squad member of a top Division 1 team. That was a crying shame.
:lol:

Moniedafe was with them.
They would use every escuse to escape to Benin every weekend.
They would hang outside the Ogbe stadium. Benin Mafia! Branches in Ibadan and Owerri.
During a game -particularly before a PK shootout, they will send Boston to go and ask Welfare manager of Abiola babes, Best Ogedegbe ''What is the match bonus of this game again. How much will you pay?'' He will then take the reply to Agbonavbare in goal -to decide. :lol:
The were reported to Abiola who dismissed them before the FA cup final against Rangers.

Boston Omosogho is the only person in African soccer to play a penalty kick to throw-in during 1985 Bendel state FA cup SF against Rubber board while playing for insurance. It is still debated today if it was delibrate.

Oloye, Eboigbe played for NNB the 86 season, got an early red card in their first Champions league game where they lost 5:0. Light CD might have been Clement Okolie the former captain.

Gin, correct they had a new team the next year. Yusuf, Nimo Peters, Orairo, Edomoiya, Mobosa, Isong Isang, Uwem Ikono, Kakaraka, Aya, Bello, Okoh, Balogun and uniben warhorses Feludu & Popo
megapro 2012:
Keshi should be left alone to continue his program, and seriously has a chance of casting his name in gold
sammie2000
Egg
Egg

Post by sammie2000 »

Oloye-agba, did you ever play against Arthur Moses? Please give us inside scoop on the guy. I heard he was very good then.
oloye
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by oloye »

megapro wrote:
Aswani wrote:
megapro wrote:
oloye wrote:
Aswani wrote:
oloye wrote:

Moniedafe was with them.
They would hang outside the Ogbe stadium. Benin Mafia! Branches in Ibadan and Owerri.
During a game -particularly before a PK shootout, they will send Boston to go and ask Welfare manager of Abiola babes, Best Ogedegbe ''What is the match bonus of this game again. How much will you pay?'' He will then take the reply to Agbonavbare in goal -to decide. :lol:
The were reported to Abiola who dismissed them before the FA cup final against Rangers.

Boston Omosogho is the only person in African soccer to play a penalty kick to throw-in during 1985 Bendel state FA cup SF against Rubber board while playing for insurance. It is still debated today if it was delibrate.

Oloye, Eboigbe played for NNB the 86 season, got an early red card in their first Champions league game where they lost 5:0. Light CD might have been Clement Okolie the former captain.

Gin, correct they had a new team the next year. Yusuf, Nimo Peters, Orairo, Edomoiya, Mobosa, Isong Isang, Uwem Ikono, Kakaraka, Aya, Bello, Okoh, Balogun and uniben warhorses Feludu & Popo
No i know Okolie very well, we became very good friends later...he even coached me at BCC. The fair guy could even be likened to an albino , i did not want to use the word to describe him. He played for NNB for a couple of seasons , he was not a big name, came and went. Okolie was done by around that time, he was at NIS in 87 for his coaching course.

oloye
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by oloye »

sammie2000 wrote:Oloye-agba, did you ever play against Arthur Moses? Please give us inside scoop on the guy. I heard he was very good then.
I did!

GIN
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by GIN »

megapro wrote: Boston Omosogho is the only person in African soccer to play a penalty kick to throw-in during 1985 Bendel state FA cup SF against Rubber board while playing for insurance. It is still debated today if it was delibrate.Gin, correct they had a new team the next year. Yusuf, Nimo Peters, Orairo, Edomoiya, Mobosa, Isong Isang, Uwem Ikono, Kakaraka, Aya, Bello, Okoh, Balogun and uniben warhorses Feludu & Popo
Folks could not believed their eyes when they saw the ball crossing past the throw in line. :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:

It was a great pleasure going to Ugbowo campus to watch NNB/Flash/Insurance take on all visiting teams while Ogbe stadium was under construction in early 87.
“I have been waiting for this job for almost three years now and that was before the 2008 Beijing Olympics. I was to be the coach of the Super Eagles after the interview conducted for the job. But that time I said no, I wasn’t ready. Now that I am ready, I am not intimidated at all. I am ready for this job,” he declared matter-of-factly" http://africanfootball.mtnfootball.com/ ... m_ID=36099
skillful
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by skillful »

@ Oloye did you play against the great Oshogbo Nepa?
"I first saw David Rocastle play in 1983 for the youth team. I remember coming home excitedly from the match and telling my family, "I've just watched the nearest thing to a Brazilian footballer you are ever likely to see - and he comes from Lewisham." - David Dein on Rocky Rocastle
oloye
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by oloye »

skillful wrote:@ Oloye did you play against the great Oshogbo Nepa?
Unfortunately NEPA Oshogbo nor get light again when i played Shooting.

skillful
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by skillful »

oloye wrote:
skillful wrote:@ Oloye did you play against the great Oshogbo Nepa?
Unfortunately NEPA Oshogbo nor get light again when i played Shooting.
:rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: nice one so you didnt play those Ibadan derbies against water corporation of Ibadan
Goldleaf
Egg
Egg

Post by Goldleaf »

oloye wrote:
megapro wrote:
Aswani wrote:
megapro wrote:
oloye wrote:
Aswani wrote:
oloye wrote:

Moniedafe was with them.

No i know Okolie very well, we became very good friends later...he even coached me at BCC. The fair guy could even be likened to an albino , i did not want to use the word to describe him. He played for NNB for a couple of seasons , he was not a big name, came and went. Okolie was done by around that time, he was at NIS in 87 for his coaching course.
Oloye,

Okolie? I think there was a George Okolie that played for Water Corporation during the days of Rasaki Fadare, Zakari John, Salimonu Aina, Sina Odugbemi, Yinusa Bolarinwa, Segun Fawunmi. That was the famed Water Corporation that beat the dreaded Horoya of Guinea (or was it Hafia?) I remember that Okolie was tall, lightskinned, very powerful and had some serious sideburns. Or was it Clement Okolie?
oloye
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by oloye »

Goldleaf wrote:
oloye wrote:
megapro wrote:
Aswani wrote:
megapro wrote:
oloye wrote:Then there were some salacious stories of his mum being a traditioner witch doctor and she had fortified him very well...we were tild he cannot be harmed by anyone.

Moniedafe was with them.

Oloye,

Okolie? I think there was a George Okolie that played for Water Corporation during the days of Rasaki Fadare, Zakari John, Salimonu Aina, Sina Odugbemi, Yinusa Bolarinwa, Segun Fawunmi. That was the famed Water Corporation that beat the dreaded Horoya of Guinea (or was it Hafia?) I remember that Okolie was tall, lightskinned, very powerful and had some serious sideburns. Or was it Clement Okolie?
I know the two Okolies....

GIN
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by GIN »

Oloye, who were the players that signed along with you to NNB prior to the disbandment of the club?