Life as a Shooting stars player...

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Kargamania
Egg
Egg
Re: Life as a Shooting stars player...

Post by Kargamania »

oloye wrote:
Kargamania wrote:
oloye wrote:
shooting stars wrote:Hi everybody especially Oloye my very good friend.
It´s so nice to read these postings about football in the 80´s and 90´s. I was blessed to be part of it and
been a born and bred Ibadan boy, i couldn´t resist joining the conversation. Oloye (Bolaji) , this is Tunji
Adeyemi from Germany and i would like you to continue the good work here. Reading your lines brings back
very nice and passionate memories of Ibadan and Shooting Stars. To play for Shooting Stars, win Laurels and
also captain the Club will always remain a special part of my life.
It´s true that Oloye played for Shooting Stars when things were not going well for the team, i mean the 89 season.
But in 1990 Chief Onigbinde took over the administration of the Club and from then on the Club started improving both
on and off the pitch. In the 1992 Season, we were, in my opinion, the best team in Nigeria. With Demola Bankole
and David Aigbovo in Goal, the defense line with christopher, Ogbein Fawole, Bright Omokaro, Ajibade Babalade. Taofik
Malik, Golden Ajebo, Mojeed Azeez and my humble self in midfield. On the wings we had Godwin Osusu and Dotun Alatise
with Andrew Uti and Sola Akinwale upfront. We were really good and went on to win the CAF Cup. I can still vividly remember
the 2-0 whipping BCC Lions got in Ibadan with Oloye and another very good friend of mine Samuel Elija ( sammy touga) in the
central defense for BCC. I scored one of the goals with a header just to remind oloye. Those were the days. Young, Proud and
tough we were, flying the blue banners of Shooting Stars high throughout the country and the continent.
Warmest greetings to you and your family oloye. God´s blessing.
Hey Tunji, Up Olivet, how you dey?
Wow! Tunji Adeyemi (UI/Flying Eagles) and Bolaji Douglas (Unilorin/Eagles) ! Legends of Shooting Stars and Olivet Heights. Strangely Oloye said he never played for Olivet when he was there but still a legend among Olivetians. Interestingly Olivet celebrates the 70th anniversary and global reunion this month in Oyo, Nigeria and Miami, USA. We need more posts from Shooting Star (Tunji Adeyemi) going forward :clap:
*By the way, Shooting's Kabiru Adejare, Mojeed Azeez and Mufutau Makinde were also at Olivet, snatched from some smaller schools.
Shuo where did i say i never played for Olivet...did my A'levels there but did only lower 6 and played the Principals cup 81 was knocked out by Ogbomosho grammar school in the semis i think. Made the games games prefect/football captain, but left when i got admissions to the Uni through Jamb.

I played with Rushy Palaver, Sunny Ozimediebof blessed memory, Gbenga Odanye, Balasco, Galome to mention a few. :lol: I dont really see myself as an Olivetian because i did not graduate there. But i had a fabulous unforgettable time in the school and Oyo town in general.
My apologies Chief Oloye, it was a mix up.
I respect your opinion but I don't think not graduating from the school takes anything from the fact that you schooled there and the school contributed in some ways in shaping you just as you also helped build the history of the school. HSC students leaving before completion of their course due to university admission was very common and Olivetians can easily relate with that. Even some at Olivet and other schools cleared their O'levels with the then Nov/Dec GCE exams and left for the university before completing their secondary school education.
Always a pleasure reading your contributions here.
But instead of going out of the pitch Odinga seized the card from referee Sabitu and flashed it back at the referee. It took the intervention of Sharks' assistant coach, Nduka Ndubuisi before the card was retrieved from the player and handed back to the referee.
Chief Ogbunigwe
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Chief Ogbunigwe »

bully12 wrote:How come we do not have ex rangers boys who could tell us sweet stories about our beloved Rangers when they were kings of Nigerian football and every other team walk under their huge legs. Then I believed Rangers were invincible then.

Gotti na ex-Rangers player, I think.
AFCON 2019 sweet o
Barren for 37 yrs no good o

New member and Titled Chief, Distant Gunners Consortium.
"This is an island surrounded by water, big water, ocean water."
Gadfly
Egg
Egg

Post by Gadfly »

Chief Ogbunigwe wrote:
bully12 wrote:How come we do not have ex rangers boys who could tell us sweet stories about our beloved Rangers when they were kings of Nigerian football and every other team walk under their huge legs. Then I believed Rangers were invincible then.
Like EII, he is Vasco!
oloye
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by oloye »

bully12 wrote:
oloye wrote:
I understand Emeka Amadi is on this site.
Emeka Amadi where are you? We are all ears to hear juicy and sweet stories about our all conquering Rangers. If you can't narrate the story like our Eagles nest Chinua Achebe / Wole combo, the future noble prize winner in literature none other than OUR OWN OLOYE contact him give him all the juicy stories about our darling Rangers I'm sure he will find a way to mesmerize us with them . Whatever you do please do not give them to Enugy II he will bore us with mean less statics from Jerico to Jerusalem . Though a reliable source claimed he was fan of that other club in coal city ! Rangers doorstep mats Vasco hence jealous will inhibit him to touch mighty UP Rangers stories.
I wont be surprised if EnuguII turns the story into a Vasco one...the man cannot stand anything Rangers :D We showed his team pepper...we were the only that had a feeder team back then, Rangers forever....ooops i am still talking of Shooting dont want to offend my readers who are shooting fans.
"There is big pressure at this club as you cannot be like the manager at Arsenal and ask for five years to try and to win one trophy" - Jose Mourinho

.... I believe in God. I try to be a good man so He can have a bit of time to give me a hand when I need it - Jose Mourinho
oloye
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by oloye »

Chief Ogbunigwe wrote:

:scared: Now that is a pleasant surprise.....please Gotti na true!
"There is big pressure at this club as you cannot be like the manager at Arsenal and ask for five years to try and to win one trophy" - Jose Mourinho

.... I believe in God. I try to be a good man so He can have a bit of time to give me a hand when I need it - Jose Mourinho
Gboye7777
Egg
Egg

Post by Gboye7777 »

Just stumbled across this thread and spent over an hour enjoying the stories! Respect to Oloye :thumb:
oloye
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by oloye »

Gboye7777 wrote:Just stumbled across this thread and spent over an hour enjoying the stories! Respect to Oloye :thumb:
An hour well spent i hope...cheers doc!

bully12
Egg
Egg

Post by bully12 »

oloye wrote:
bully12 wrote:
oloye wrote:
Emeka Amadi where are you? We are all ears to hear juicy and sweet stories about our all conquering Rangers. If you can't narrate the story like our Eagles nest Chinua Achebe / Wole combo, the future noble prize winner in literature none other than OUR OWN OLOYE contact him give him all the juicy stories about our darling Rangers I'm sure he will find a way to mesmerize us with them . Whatever you do please do not give them to Enugy II he will bore us with mean less statics from Jerico to Jerusalem . Though a reliable source claimed he was fan of that other club in coal city ! Rangers doorstep mats Vasco hence jealous will inhibit him to touch mighty UP Rangers stories.
I wont be surprised if EnuguII turns the story into a Vasco one...the man cannot stand anything Rangers :D We showed his team pepper...we were the only that had a feeder team back then, Rangers forever....ooops i am still talking of Shooting dont want to offend my readers who are shooting fans.
Oloye, if you are so much in love with Rangers as you forever proclaimed how come you did not play for them . May be you were not good enough to lace their boots ( no pun intended my dearest friend) . I guess that's why you chose to play for IICC SHOOTING STARS one of those teams who used to quake on their butts justing hearingt the name RANGERS INTERNATIONL and the uproar UP RANGERS that went with it. I wish you had played for Rangers invariably all mesmerizing and fascinating stories that would have emanated from you would have been spell bound.
Please delve into a research about Rangers find out all juicy and sweet stories that made them most scintillating, most beloved, the most imitated and never duplicated greatest team Nigeria had ever produced.
Last edited by bully12 on Fri Jul 03, 2015 1:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
oloye
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by oloye »

bully12 wrote:
oloye wrote:
bully12 wrote:
oloye wrote:
Oloye if you are so much in love with Rangers as you profess how come you did not play for them . May be you were not good enough to lace their boots ( no pun intended) I guess that's why you chose to play for IICC SHOOTING STARS one of those teams who used to quake on their butts justing hearingt the name RANGERS INTERNATIONL and the uproar UP RANGERS that went with it. I wish you had played for Rangers invariably all mesmerizing and fascinating stories that would have emanated from you would have be spell bound.
Please delve into a research about Rangers find out all juicy and sweet stories that made them most scintillating and the greatest team Nigeria had ever produced.
As much as i love Rangers, i never for one dream of playing for them, the reason being at the time, no one who is not an igbo had played for them. It was seen as an Igbo club, you hardly hear any player talk about going to play for Rangers who is not from the East. It was in 91 i think that Dotun Alatishe became the first non-igbo speaking footballer to play for Rangers, by that time i was with BCC. At that time Rangers was no longer one of the top paying teams in the league any longer, the top paying consistent teams were Nationale, BCC and Berger..these were the teams the best in the land wanted to play for. Of course in between you had the likes of Udoji and one of two others who would shine like a meteor and fade away, hence i said the clubs who were playing consistently.

I think loving a club as a fan is totally different from playing for them, in some ways i am happy i did not play for them, because it has preserved my love for the club.

fabio
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by fabio »

bully12 wrote: Oloye, if you are so much in love with Rangers as you forever proclaimed how come you did not play for them . May be you were not good enough to lace their boots ( no pun intended my dearest friend) . I guess that's why you chose to play for IICC SHOOTING STARS one of those teams who used to quake on their butts justing hearingt the name RANGERS INTERNATIONL and the uproar UP RANGERS that went with it. I wish you had played for Rangers invariably all mesmerizing and fascinating stories that would have emanated from you would have been spell bound.
Please delve into a research about Rangers find out all juicy and sweet stories that made them most scintillating, most beloved, the most imitated and never duplicated greatest team Nigeria had ever produced.
:woot: :woot: :ohmy: :ohmy: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:

Bully aka Bull dung... What a load of manure.

Moderators, why is this Rangers fan trying hard to derail this thread?
By the grace of God I am a Christian, by my deeds a great sinner.....The Way of a Pilgrim
megapro
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by megapro »

oloye wrote:
bully12 wrote:
oloye wrote:
bully12 wrote:
oloye wrote:
Oloye if you are so much in love with Rangers as you profess how come you did not play for them . May be you were not good enough to lace their boots ( no pun intended) I guess that's why you chose to play for IICC SHOOTING STARS one of those teams who used to quake on their butts justing hearingt the name RANGERS INTERNATIONL and the uproar UP RANGERS that went with it. I wish you had played for Rangers invariably all mesmerizing and fascinating stories that would have emanated from you would have be spell bound.
Please delve into a research about Rangers find out all juicy and sweet stories that made them most scintillating and the greatest team Nigeria had ever produced.
As much as i love Rangers, i never for one dream of playing for them, the reason being at the time, no one who is not an igbo had played for them. It was seen as an Igbo club, you hardly hear any player talk about going to play for Rangers who is not from the East. It was in 91 i think that Dotun Alatishe became the first non-igbo speaking footballer to play for Rangers, by that time i was with BCC. At that time Rangers was no longer one of the top paying teams in the league any longer, the top paying consistent teams were Nationale, BCC and Berger..these were the teams the best in the land wanted to play for. Of course in between you had the likes of Udoji and one of two others who would shine like a meteor and fade away, hence i said the clubs who were playing consistently.

I think loving a club as a fan is totally different from playing for them, in some ways i am happy i did not play for them, because it has preserved my love for the club.
Oloye, Adokiye's tribe might enter this topic o :lol:
megapro 2012:
Keshi should be left alone to continue his program, and seriously has a chance of casting his name in gold
oloye
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by oloye »

megapro wrote:
oloye wrote:
bully12 wrote:
oloye wrote:
bully12 wrote:
oloye wrote:

Oloye, Adokiye's tribe might enter this topic o :lol:
Seriously Adokiye was seen as an Igbo man, is he not an Ikwerre man..i believe he is igbo speaking as well. I was aware of Adokiye, just did not feel any other way with him playing for Rangers, he was closer to an igbo man than anyone coming from outside of East of Niger. The other non-igbo players that registered for Rangers were two Brasilians that the Brasilian coach Diaz registered to play for the team in 80/81, whether they played any league match for Rangers remains to be verified, but i know they played in some friendlies.

Simply put you hardly hear any player outside of the east of Niger clamour or say they are going to Enugu to try out for Rangers, even when Vasco Da Gama was already fielding non-igbo players.

anointed
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by anointed »

Dammy wrote:
Damunk wrote:
oloye wrote:
anikulapo wrote:
oluwaseye the 1st. wrote:Oloye!!! O se!! O se ooo!! O se Ooo!! O se gan ni !! Wow!! You brought back memories for those of us who grew up in Ibadan in the late 70's until the late 80's when we all fled abroad!! Your description is so vivid and though a die hard Rangers supporter, I saw a lot of Shooting Stars matches at Liberty stadium of particular mention was the game against TP Mazembe I think in 1980 after the nations cup triumph, it was my first time of seeing white soccer boots courtesy of Kabongo Ngoy!! Oloye you brought memories please write a book and if you can take up Obotes offer, you must find a way to give back to the game in Nigeria. I live here now and our football is run by mediocres the problem is not just Keshi he is just a tiny spec of the wider malaise.

You were a Rangers supporter ?
Because his name is Sheye abi, there were a core group of people outside of Easte Central State who love Rangers to death :thumbs: :thumbs: I happen to be one of those people.
Same here, and my sister. My dad was a die-hard IICC supporter so it made for some 'interesting' family dynamics! :lol:

Oloye, great write up, and I have only read the first two instalments so far!
Meanwhile, was Chief Olukanmi Interim Chairman during your time? I ask because he granted CE an interview a few years ago just before he died, and he spoke of the challenges of trying to save the famous club. Not sure you were a CE member back then (about 6 years ago I'd guess), but you might be able to relate to much of what he said.

You can catch it here: viewtopic.php?f=18&t=137483&p=2063453#p2063453
A lot of Yorubas were die hard Rangers fans. I remember a boy whose name was Olubunmi but changed his name to Chukwuma because his ambition was to play for Rangers. At that time, only Igbo players were allowed to play for Rangers.
I've always wondered why so many Yorubas supported Rangers too as in it made Nigerian sense to support Shooting. Do you remember the days of 'set' in Ijapo with Bermuda, Kuzi, Olumo and all the rest...all of them supported Rangers.
TOUCH NOT MY ANOINTED...
For the preaching of the cross is to them that perish foolishness; but unto us which are saved it is the power of God. For it is written, I will destroy the wisdom of the wise, and will bring to nothing the understanding...hath not God made foolish the wisdom of this world? 21 For after that in the wisdom of God the world by wisdom knew not God, it pleased God by the foolishness of preaching to save them that believe
2think
Egg
Egg

Post by 2think »

Much respect Baba Oloye....

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
May the Lord God Bless U real Good
Toxicarrow
Egg
Egg

Post by Toxicarrow »

OLOYE:

In other words, Rangers na "local" club (aka village team), while Vasco Da Gama na the real international club in the coal city :taunt: :taunt: :taunt: :taunt: :taunt:
Check out Sooting's website:
https://shootingstarssc.com/
oloye
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by oloye »

Toxicarrow wrote:OLOYE:

In other words, Rangers na "local" club (aka village team), while Vasco Da Gama na the real international club in the coal city :taunt: :taunt: :taunt: :taunt: :taunt:
Internationa in terms of appeal Toxicarrow :thumbs:

zoldsasok
Egg
Egg

Post by zoldsasok »

Kargamania wrote:
oloye wrote: Shuo where did i say i never played for Olivet...did my A'levels there but did only lower 6 and played the Principals cup 81 was knocked out by Ogbomosho grammar school in the semis i think. Made the games games prefect/football captain, but left when i got admissions to the Uni through Jamb.

I played with Rushy Palaver, Sunny Ozimediebof blessed memory, Gbenga Odanye, Balasco, Galome to mention a few. :lol: I dont really see myself as an Olivetian because i did not graduate there. But i had a fabulous unforgettable time in the school and Oyo town in general.
I respect your opinion but I don't think not graduating from the school takes anything from the fact that you schooled there and the school contributed in some ways in shaping you just as you also helped build the history of the school. HSC students leaving before completion of their course due to university admission was very common and Olivetians can easily relate with that. Even some at Olivet and other schools cleared their O'levels with the then Nov/Dec GCE exams and left for the university before completing their secondary school education.
Kargamania na by force, Oloye talk say e be mercenary for olivet and u dey argue :taunt: :taunt: :taunt:
That's how you guys were cheating us for GCI to win all those games :taunt: :taunt: :taunt:
oloye
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by oloye »

zoldsasok wrote:
Kargamania wrote:
oloye wrote: Shuo where did i say i never played for Olivet...did my A'levels there but did only lower 6 and played the Principals cup 81 was knocked out by Ogbomosho grammar school in the semis i think. Made the games games prefect/football captain, but left when i got admissions to the Uni through Jamb.

Kargamania na by force, Oloye talk say e be mercenary for olivet and u dey argue :taunt: :taunt: :taunt:
That's how you guys were cheating us for GCI to win all those games :taunt: :taunt: :taunt:
Olivet does not do mercenaries, unlike some schools in Ibadan. How GCI aka gofti got to become a power house in principals cup remains a mystery. This was an ajebutter school same category with ISI aka International Schoo Ibadan. Suddenly i started hearing of gofti winning cups....we know dem we know dem who do mercenaries!

Dammy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Dammy »

oloye wrote:
zoldsasok wrote:
Kargamania wrote:

Olivet does not do mercenaries, unlike some schools in Ibadan. How GCI aka gofti got to become a power house in principals cup remains a mystery. This was an ajebutter school same category with ISI aka International Schoo Ibadan. Suddenly i started hearing of gofti winning cups....we know dem we know dem who do mercenaries!
Don'y disrespect us at ISI, we got to the final of the 1976 Western State Principals cup only to lose narrowly to the much older players from Olivet, Oyo with yams on their legs. :biggrin:
I am happy
oloye
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by oloye »

Dammy wrote:
oloye wrote:
zoldsasok wrote:
Kargamania wrote:

Don'y disrespect us at ISI, we got to the final of the 1976 Western State Principals cup only to lose narrowly to the much older players from Olivet, Oyo with yams on their legs. :biggrin:
I remember that year, you got to the finals of the Ibadan/Ibarapa zone. Guess who you guys beat in the semis? My school Methodist High School Ibadan...sacrilege that was. My School father then Muyiwa Salako went to ISI to redo his waec...so he featured against the team he had captained the year before. It was a day of mourning in my school, as if losing was not enough,geez we lost to an ajebutter school with no pedigree in school football. We cried all the way from Olubadan to Orita Challenge. I was the school football mascot.

Dammy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Dammy »

oloye wrote:
Dammy wrote:
oloye wrote:
zoldsasok wrote:
Kargamania wrote:

I remember that year, you got to the finals of the Ibadan/Ibarapa zone. Guess who you guys beat in the semis? My school Methodist High School Ibadan...sacrilege that was. My School father then Muyiwa Salako went to ISI to redo his waec...so he featured against the team he had captained the year before. It was a day of mourning in my school, as if losing was not enough,geez we lost to an ajebutter school with no pedigree in school football. We cried all the way from Olubadan to Orita Challenge. I was the school football mascot.
Sorry o, I did not realise you were that crying mascot! :lol: :lol:
I am happy
ohsee
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by ohsee »

oloye! oloye! oloye! What else can I say? Brilliant. Everybody else, make una look and learn. Our stories are too precious to remain hidden in our heads. oloye, I loved your recollection of the game Shooting had with Rangers. Wonderful stuff! Ranka Dede! :thumb:
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

Toxicarrow wrote:OLOYE:

Dem forget say by destroying Vasco then the trophy less curse will be inflicted on Rangers. :rotf:
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics