Life as a Shooting stars player...

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

oloye
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: Life as a Shooting stars player...

Post by oloye »

Enugu II wrote:
Toxicarrow wrote:OLOYE:

In other words, Rangers na "local" club (aka village team), while Vasco Da Gama na the real international club in the coal city :taunt: :taunt: :taunt: :taunt: :taunt:
Dem forget say by destroying Vasco then the trophy less curse will be inflicted on Rangers. :rotf:
Very true my ogbuefi.....we miss our feeder team. No more quality players from that trusted production line, all we have these are Ariara , Abakaliki and Abagana made players...how can we challenge for trophies with such players. From the days of Justus Ewendu, Chike Arisa, Pat Ekeji...to Nkwobi Aguluckwu of Abagana.....how can the greatest club on earth rise again. Please Nitel or MTN bring back our feeder team nowwwww :mad: .... :lol: :lol:
"There is big pressure at this club as you cannot be like the manager at Arsenal and ask for five years to try and to win one trophy" - Jose Mourinho

.... I believe in God. I try to be a good man so He can have a bit of time to give me a hand when I need it - Jose Mourinho
oloye
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by oloye »

There were lot of stories mostly myths that one heard about Shooting stars growing up and as young player nursing a young ambition. They were scary stories to say the least. One of such stories was that the players had the habbit of charming one another , doing so by casting spells on colleagues that were competiting with them for same position. We were told that as a player for Shooting you must be well fortified spiritually to thrive in the club. We told that if you make the mistake of leaving your boots or trainers unattended to, you are best adviced to throw it away as you would be putting yourself at risk if you dont heed this advice. We heard that if you are eating and you take your eyes away for a minute, you might as well give up that meal. As an Ilorin lad, when Folorunsho Gambari died, we were told all manner of stories. The image of Baba Eleran i had prior to coming to Ibadan was that of a fearsome juju man..this image was not helped by the manner of campaign the team embarked upon in the run up to the 1984 Champions cup final against Zamalek football club of Egypt. For days they filled the airwaves with chants or was it incantations, imploring the gods of the lqnd to make sure the Egyptians would all be blinded by the hot afternoon sun....the slogan 'BALU BALU LA FIN N WO'..was on the lips of everyone. For someone like me it re-enforced the myths about the team, i dreaded the team called Shooting stars

This was at the back of my mind when i joined the team alright, although i did not see outrightly anything to suggest the image that was painted, neverthesless i was on the look out. Of course there was the spiritual preparation which the club performs as part of her pre-season rites. The ckub would invite clergies from the two prominent faith in the country to pray for the team at the beginning of the season. But a lot more tend to go on during the season.

Because we were struggling a number of fans became concerned and felt it was their duty to help the team to source for strong spiritual men and women who could turn the fortunes of the club around. If i am to talk about my experience with Nigerian clubs on this aspect alone i would write books. Many of the people that would turn up were charlattans at the best, and at a point in time many of these fans soon turned this into an avenue to siphon money from the club chairman who had a strong traditional beliefs. There was the case of a guy, he was supposed to be a prophet and was hired to accompany us to Warri. On the eve of the match, we were called into a room for prayers, and the guy...he claimed he traveled from Abidjan for the mission. He then proceeded to recount one of the most ridiculous stories i have ever heard in my life....how the plane that brought him to Nigeria had problem mid air and his luggages were flung out , and as if that was not bad enough, he told us how the plane was suspended in the air and the passengers came down with a ladder. He pulled out small bottle and told us the oil inside was from Jerusalem, it was special oil which unfortunately got spilled while his luggaes were flying through the air. I could not contain myself any longer, then our eyes met, he saw the look in my eyes...he tore into me with all manner of tirades, even threatening to curse me. At this point i started laughing, i have never seen a blatant liar in my life. To cut the story short we lost the match....he was quiet in the camp after the match. He came with us in the bus, how he went back to Abidjan no one knew...may be by a ladder.

There was a time we were told we needed to wash away bad luck from the team, we were all taken to a stream to perform certain rites...we did this religiously , we were still dropping points. There was a time 4 of us were selected and taken to a place in Ijebu land, all in the attempt to turn thr fortune of the team around.

But what i could never understand about this shenanigans is the amount of money that is wasted on these ventures when the team lacked basic equiments needed to ensure performance. Our boots were worn out, we had no training shoes, we had to do every training both running and playing using the same pair of boots. Usually the standard is that you will have a set for training and another for matches, that was not the case when i played for Shooting The raining season came and we were still using boots meant for hard surfaces. Why teams would ignore this aspect of the game in search of some phamtom help is beyond me. The faith i subscribe to does not condone such folly in any way.

I remember a particular match we played at home, someone came to us with a message that they had visited a place and we were told that we should not speak or shake anyone when we get to the dressing room and before the match. We were guaranteed to win the match if we carry out this rite. We got into the dressing room, on our way in we all became dumb, simply nodding our heads, avoid outstretched hands , we settled down into the dressing room all looking dumb. Then the Oracle of Football as he called himself, Professor Sam Akpabot, a maverick and a sports columnist with the Trubune newspaper walked into our dressing room. Over the years he had become popular for predicting the outcome of games, they would often come to pass. He then took it to the next level when he started calling himself the Oracle of football..not contented with his predictions, he would now appear in the stadium in an all white attire. He would often be spotted standing behind the opponents goalpost with hands raised to heavens when the home team is struggling to score...he claimed he was conjuring goals from above. He believed it, strange how men suddenly ascribe such ability to themselves, but hey that was his perogative. The fans loved him, the nation respected his views, he was a professor as well...he must be doung something right.

The man breezed into the dressing room and announced the orscles that be had asked him to shake everyone, we are guaranteed victory.
Wahala!
He went to the first player , there were three other players between us, i was safe surely someone would shake his hands before he got to me. No way, the first player refused to shake him, the second refused, now i was sweating, i was quaking un my boots. I came from a home that taught me respect, refusing to shake an outstretched hand was disrespectful.....oh God help me, i am going to betray the cause. When he got to the player next to me i jumped up pretending i needed to stretch and warm up , i started going through the routine as i walked out, others quickly followed. The last thing i heard was the Oracle complaining of players refusing to shake his hands.....hmmm some of the things you see in the dressing room can make a man to commit a sacrilege. Imagine disrespecting whole oracle while obeying
"There is big pressure at this club as you cannot be like the manager at Arsenal and ask for five years to try and to win one trophy" - Jose Mourinho

.... I believe in God. I try to be a good man so He can have a bit of time to give me a hand when I need it - Jose Mourinho
asabatex
Egg
Egg

Post by asabatex »

:thumbs:
Man Ataye
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Man Ataye »

Experience is the best teacher. You cannot make this stuff up.

Enugu II wrote:Oloye,

This story na real wa. I enjoyed reading it. Nothing like a story from an insider. You lived it and no one can tell it better. Thank you so much! I hope you don't mind -- I tweeted it.
The wars fought in the world are only a reflection of the wars fought within people....
Man Ataye
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Man Ataye »

,oloye, I beg go write book. This ting too much. I enjoy ya Tories. Fiction ok, bio ni, any how u do am. Just drop am. You get the taste, experience and culture of the footie environment Kampe. The tories are soothing .....
The wars fought in the world are only a reflection of the wars fought within people....
Man Ataye
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Man Ataye »

Yeah that legend was Felix owolabi. Wetin eem dey do nowadays??? Maybe coaches.

oloye wrote:Playing for Shooting is for those who can handle intrigues. Growing up as a kid there were many myths and legends perpetrated about the club and you just cannot help but allow some of them to help form your opinions about things. The team had a reputation for fetish and it was claimed that to play for Shooting you must be strong…I mean strong not in terms of physical strength..but in spiritual and perhaps emotional side of human existence.
I never for my life bargained I would play for Shooting..not when I saw what became of the likes of Moses Otolorin (an Ilorin guy) who was a legend with the club but was laid off, and would just hang about doing nothing for years before he got employed as a coach with the Kwara Poly. The stories of how Folorunsho Gambari died and the sight of Otolorin sort of enforced these stories one heard about the club.

So after the 88 season I got on offer to come to play for them, I was not keen, but there was a man in Ilorin who was a fan of bombers but also a die-hard Shooting fan, he was always taking players from Bombers to Shooting, he was probably making money from the venture. The man pestered me to no end with the offer to take me down to Ibadan, eventually he wore me down and I obliged him. But unknowing to the man I had already completed a deal with NNB, so I had an offer on hand.
Nevertheless, I went to Ibadan and met the then Chairman late Pa Ogunshina just to make him happy and of course to see what was on offer. It turned out that what was on offer was rubbish but I kept my cool, there was no need to lose it, I had something better, I did not lose anything. At the end of the discussion they gave me transport money to travel back to Ilorin, it was just enough to cover my fare for the journey down to Ibadan. As soon as I left the office I handed the money over to the man who brought me there, a way of washing my hands clean off the deal.

But as fate would have it when NNB got disbanded just a few days before the commencement of the 89 season, I was left in a lurch, I was advised by friends and colleagues to save face by not returning to Ilorin, since everyone knew I had left for NNB. So instead of returning to my old club in Ilorin I went down to Ibadan from Benin, I crawled back to Shooting… I can still recollect the coach/player at the time, Felix Owolabi aka Owoblow mocking me saying..sebi you wanted money. I kept my cool, I reserved my anger for the training to come, and he felt the full force of it during training. You see he was the player / manager then.

I can still remember the first training I had with the team, it was at the UCH football field, it was harmattan season, dry ground, patchy grass and dusty, not the type of surface you want to take a fall or dive, since it was very unforgiving in terms of the bruises that one would pick up. Well it served my intentions very well, as I proceeded to kick the living daylights out of the legend called Owolabi, he was stubborn alright and kept coming for more…I remember launching a well timed sliding tackle on him, it was perfect, the one you get the ball just as the naïve(we call it mugu) attacker puts his feet on the other end of the ball, unknowing that he was being set up. It was perfect in the sense that when you get the ball it will take the other person’s off the ground. Owoblow went up in the air, as far as I was concerned as a defender, it was the most beautiful sight I ever witnessed…one minute the legend called Owoblow was thought he had gotten the better of me, the next minute was doing a batman in the air..priceless!.
He ended up in the hedges by the side of the field, there was dust everywhere, the place looked like an accident scene. I heard he shout…f..cking player..are you a rugby player? .. as he muttered all manner of profanities while dusting himself and checking for bruises. Wetin concern me (What is my business with that)? I stood up, I had passed a message across, as a defender and a player in a new club, I had passed my message across. I am not one of those players who take yabbis lightly.
We kept on at each other , I remember the assistant coach the late Kennedy Darpah coming over to ask me if we had issues between us before. I said no , I have never met him before..i am only trying to impress you guys. Strangely he Darpah was one of the defenders that inspired me as a yound defender growing up..how come he cannot see himself in me…haha. They called off the training…that was how I made my mark on the coaching crew and my new colleagues.

Playing for Shooting was fun..well if you can handle the intrigues..i decided I was going to stay only one season. My decision was inspired by a number of reasons, to start with the club was in a bad state at the moment, leaving a division 2 club to play in the top league for a top club that was being run like a street club was not exactly the sort of ambition I had as a footballer. My position was further strengthened by another incident. You see I ran into an old player of the club who was like a senior player to me from my Kwasu Bombers days, Oba by name, one of those who came from Ilorin to play for Shooting earlier, he had a bad time there and was still smarting from it all. I remember him asking me what I was doing in Shooting, I explained my plight to him..he said ok..but please I beg you don’t stay more than a season. It was scary ..that sort of advice.

But there was another incident…we were to play NNPC Warri in a relegation battle in Ibadan, it was the last match of the season, we were in camp when on the eve of the match the Chairman called a meeting around dinner table. He informed us that he had been told that some of us had collected bribe from NNPC Warri to throw the match..i was named along with Sessy Eboigbe, a closer look at the rest of the players named showed we were all of Edo/Delta origin. The chairman told us that although he does not believe the claim, but if we feel affected by the accusation and we want to drop out of the team we could do so. I said I was going to play… On the match day 15 minutes into the game we were 4-0 up , the NNPC team walked off refusing to finish the game.

The next Monday in training when Coach Darpah (God bless his soul) walked up to me and pointed out a fan to me..and said that was the man who made the allegation. I almost fainted, he was an elderly man, always hanging around the team morning and evening, he looked respectable and I always treated him with utmost respect, I always greet him with a bow..and I had in the past given him some money knowing he was not employed and I thought was a devout fan of the club. I was freaked out, if someone like that could be that malicious..how safe am I as a player in such an environemnt? I remember walking over to him, while Darpah was pleading I should let go..i told the man a piece of my mind..at that point I was done with Shooting………..
Man Ataye
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Man Ataye »

Oloye, I have copied some of this stuff to my email, with plans to make copies for further reading so interesting.
yannick
Egg
Egg

Post by yannick »

so its true my Rangers always had the better of Shooting in those days, my dad(who was one of the supporters club of rangers) told me how we used to use Sooting to clean floor :taunt: :taunt: :taunt: :taunt...I miss those beautiful old school tracks of Enugu rangers which he used to play in his car everywhere he went..RIP dad.
YemiBrazil
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by YemiBrazil »

yannick wrote:so its true my Rangers always had the better of Shooting in those days, my dad(who was one of the supporters club of rangers) told me how we used to use Sooting to clean floor :taunt: :taunt: :taunt: :taunt...I miss those beautiful old school tracks of Enugu rangers which he used to play in his car everywhere he went..RIP dad.
RIP to your Dad but sorry, your understanding of his comment is not true. There was never a time either of the teams consistently use the other to 'clean floor'. Rangers tend to win in Enugu and Shooting in Ibadan with occasional tied games here and there. You hardly see a scoreline beyond 1 or 2 goals in their encounters. Though Shooting spanked Rangers 3-0 at the National Stadium Lagos towards winning the double in 1995 but Rangers was already toothless by that time. Rangers was relevant at high level for just about 10 - 12 years and they were really good but that's all about it since 1984.
*** Every child is A STAR! ***

Only Mister Johnson https://www.amazon.com/Only-Mister-Johnson-Okey-Chigbo/dp/B09DMW3RM9
----------------------------------------------------------------
"A revolution in a personal context, is a turn around of a predominant way of thinking or doing things TO BETTER YOURSELF and effectively BETTER YOUR NATION!!!"
----------------------------------------------------------------
* Progressive Federalism * Personal Revolution * Industrialization *
Toxicarrow
Egg
Egg

Post by Toxicarrow »

Man Ataye wrote:Oloye, I have copied some of this stuff to my email, with plans to make copies for further reading so interesting.
As another member mentioned earlier in the thread on Lions, these stories should be archived in the classic forum.
Check out Sooting's website:
https://shootingstarssc.com/
Gunzilla
Egg
Egg

Post by Gunzilla »

zoldsasok wrote:
Kargamania wrote:
oloye wrote: Shuo where did i say i never played for Olivet...did my A'levels there but did only lower 6 and played the Principals cup 81 was knocked out by Ogbomosho grammar school in the semis i think. Made the games games prefect/football captain, but left when i got admissions to the Uni through Jamb.

I played with Rushy Palaver, Sunny Ozimediebof blessed memory, Gbenga Odanye, Balasco, Galome to mention a few. :lol: I dont really see myself as an Olivetian because i did not graduate there. But i had a fabulous unforgettable time in the school and Oyo town in general.
My apologies Chief Oloye, it was a mix up.
I respect your opinion but I don't think not graduating from the school takes anything from the fact that you schooled there and the school contributed in some ways in shaping you just as you also helped build the history of the school. HSC students leaving before completion of their course due to university admission was very common and Olivetians can easily relate with that. Even some at Olivet and other schools cleared their O'levels with the then Nov/Dec GCE exams and left for the university before completing their secondary school education.
Always a pleasure reading your contributions here.
Kargamania na by force, Oloye talk say e be mercenary for olivet and u dey argue :taunt: :taunt: :taunt:
That's how you guys were cheating us for GCI to win all those games :taunt: :taunt: :taunt:
Lol...no mind Oloye and all those old men from Metho and Olivet !! I remember one year in Principals cup where we had been trouncing all comers in Ibadan with our Keeper not conceding any goals at all(word on the street in the school was that the Keeper being and "interior" Ibadan boy had been "fortified" and no one could score against him...lol)..That is until the Zonals started and we chopped 6-1 from Olivet !! Zolda..Up School ! Whats years were you in GCI ?
oloye
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by oloye »

Gunzilla wrote:
zoldsasok wrote:
Kargamania wrote:
oloye wrote: Shuo where did i say i never played for Olivet...did my A'levels there but did only lower 6 and played the Principals cup 81 was knocked out by Ogbomosho grammar school in the semis i think. Made the games games prefect/football captain, but left when i got admissions to the Uni through Jamb.

I played with Rushy Palaver, Sunny Ozimediebof blessed memory, Gbenga Odanye, Balasco, Galome to mention a few. :lol: I dont really see myself as an Olivetian because i did not graduate there. But i had a fabulous unforgettable time in the school and Oyo town in general.
I respect your opinion but I don't think not graduating from the school takes anything from the fact that you schooled there and the school contributed in some ways in shaping you just as you also helped build the history of the school. HSC students leaving before completion of their course due to university admission was very common and Olivetians can easily relate with that. Even some at Olivet and other schools cleared their O'levels with the then Nov/Dec GCE exams and left for the university before completing their secondary school education.
Kargamania na by force, Oloye talk say e be mercenary for olivet and u dey argue :taunt: :taunt: :taunt:
That's how you guys were cheating us for GCI to win all those games :taunt: :taunt: :taunt:
Lol...no mind Oloye and all those old men from Metho and Olivet !! I remember one year in Principals cup where we had been trouncing all comers in Ibadan with our Keeper not conceding any goals at all(word on the street in the school was that the Keeper being and "interior" Ibadan boy had been "fortified" and no one could score against him...lol)..That is until the Zonals started and we chopped 6-1 from Olivet !! Zolda..Up School ! Whats years were you in GCI ?
How an ajebutter school like Gofti or ISI ended up beating MEthodist High School in football is a mystery that FIFA must investigate. Where did you guys get Arogundade from? I keep hearing this name whenever GCI's exploits is mentioned.

Gunzilla
Egg
Egg

Post by Gunzilla »

oloye wrote:
Gunzilla wrote:
zoldsasok wrote:
Kargamania wrote:

How an ajebutter school like Gofti or ISI ended up beating MEthodist High School in football is a mystery that FIFA must investigate. Where did you guys get Arogundade from? I keep hearing this name whenever GCI's exploits is mentioned.
Oloye we actually had a lot of very decent footballers in GCI o...only that the school Administrators and parents placed very little emphasis on football and were more concerned with Academics there was so much pressure from the Ministry of Education that GCI remain the number one State School in term of academics that Principals push sports to the back burner...I believe you must be about Ismaila Arogundade...decent defender....hard as nails....works at the Ibadan Immigration office...
mmeny
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by mmeny »

Abeg can we have the names of our Ex professional players on here. Oloye, you see wetin you don start :taunt: :taunt: :taunt:

Can you imagine if Nigeria truly reached its true potential... who will be talking about EPL and all these european clubs. We just need to reach our true potential and watch Nigerians start switching their allegiances.

Oloye - Bolaji Douglas
EII - ???
Gotti -??
Megapro - ??
Just because cat sabi swim no mean say him be catfish - M.I
zoldsasok
Egg
Egg

Post by zoldsasok »

Gunzilla wrote:
zoldsasok wrote:
Kargamania wrote:

Gunzilla up school!!!, no mind Oloye jare, I no wan digress for this tread as I dey enjoy all these "tales by moonlight"
I was 83 set
oloye
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by oloye »

zoldsasok wrote:
Gunzilla wrote:
zoldsasok wrote:
Kargamania wrote:

Gunzilla up school!!!, no mind Oloye jare, I no wan digress for this tread as I dey enjoy all these "tales by moonlight"
I was 83 set
Awon ajebo! :lol:

BAP
Egg
Egg

Post by BAP »

oloye wrote: How an ajebutter school like Gofti or ISI ended up beating MEthodist High School in football is a mystery that FIFA must investigate. Where did you guys get Arogundade from? I keep hearing this name whenever GCI's exploits is mentioned.
Perhaps because we werent as butter as you thought ? :mad: :mrgreen:

WhiCh one be GOFTI?
oloye
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by oloye »

BAP wrote:
oloye wrote: How an ajebutter school like Gofti or ISI ended up beating MEthodist High School in football is a mystery that FIFA must investigate. Where did you guys get Arogundade from? I keep hearing this name whenever GCI's exploits is mentioned.

WhiCh one be GOFTI?
That was what government college was called ....back then in my school methodist high school.

zoldsasok
Egg
Egg

Post by zoldsasok »

BAP wrote:

WhiCh one be GOFTI?
your butter even pass my own if you go ISI and you no sabi gofti :taunt: :taunt: :taunt: :taunt:
zoldsasok
Egg
Egg

Post by zoldsasok »

oloye wrote:
zoldsasok wrote:
Gunzilla wrote:
zoldsasok wrote:
Kargamania wrote:

I was 83 set
Yo, ajebotas like me and BAP, if you know you wanna crow, say cock-ka-doodle-doo (cock a doodle doo).
Ajepako like Oloye and you really wanna crow say kukuruku (kukuruku)..
MI Abaga
:taunt: :taunt: :taunt: :taunt: :taunt: :taunt:
oloye
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by oloye »

zoldsasok wrote:
oloye wrote:
zoldsasok wrote:
Gunzilla wrote:
zoldsasok wrote:
Kargamania wrote:

I was 83 set
Yo, ajebotas like me and BAP, if you know you wanna crow, say cock-ka-doodle-doo (cock a doodle doo).
Ajepako like Oloye and you really wanna crow say kukuruku (kukuruku)..
MI Abaga
:taunt: :taunt: :taunt: :taunt: :taunt: :taunt:
:rotf: :rotf:

BAP
Egg
Egg

Post by BAP »

oloye wrote:
BAP wrote:

WhiCh one be GOFTI?
That was what government college was called ....back then in my school methodist high school.
You sabi md(Mister Dolly) there ? :)
oloye
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by oloye »

BAP wrote:
oloye wrote:
BAP wrote:

WhiCh one be GOFTI?
You sabi md(Mister Dolly) there ? :)
What year? Mr Dolly never identified himself as a former Methoe person oh. :scared: