RAHEEM STERLING

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

FATHER TIKO
Egg
Egg
Re: RAHEEM STERLING

Post by FATHER TIKO »

Prince wrote:The boy would do well, the guy is on his way to be the greatest UK player ever, thats not saying much but it would put all the haters to shame
Sterling is a good player; but I never saw what the hype was all about:
Can't strike a ball.
Can't thread a pass.
Makes the wrong critical decision 8 times out of 10.
Average ball control.

Sure, he's only 20. But I watched Messi at 20. No, Hazard at 20. Ozil at 19.
Hell, I even saw Mikel at 20.
Those 3 premium factors that portend greatness were all there.

One-dimensional dribbling & speed make good entertainment, but not great players. Unfortunately, the British game cherish those two skills. Reason why SWP, Walcott, et al earned so much hype.
That's why the British game falters at the world stage.

Sterling is a good player, but not worth anywhere near 49million pounds.
That is a value for great players.
"...Some say football is not a matter of life and death;
I can assure you it's more important than that..."
- Bill Shankly
metalalloy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by metalalloy »

Samora Machel wrote:
Prince wrote:The boy would do well, the guy is on his way to be the greatest UK player ever, thats not saying much but it would put all the haters to shame
The way peeps are going on, you would think the boy has stolen something :cry: :cry: :cry:

For real!!
We have been brainwashed by the Premier League that it's the best in the world. Nonsense. It's the best brand
Roy Keane: ITV 02/25/14

He says that we are currently "brainwashed" into believing that the Premier League is the best competition in the world, and that we are now a long way off dominating the Champions League again.
Gary Neville: Mirror: 12/23/14

I think Spain’s by far the best league.
Scholes. UK Guardian 9/6/16
metalalloy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by metalalloy »

FATHER TIKO wrote:
Can't strike a ball.
Can't thread a pass.
Average ball control.

One-dimensional dribbling & speed make good entertainment, but not great players. Unfortunately, the British game cherish those two skills. Reason why SWP, Walcott, et al earned so much hype.

He is a good english player. there is an additional premium for that.
We have been brainwashed by the Premier League that it's the best in the world. Nonsense. It's the best brand
Roy Keane: ITV 02/25/14

He says that we are currently "brainwashed" into believing that the Premier League is the best competition in the world, and that we are now a long way off dominating the Champions League again.
Gary Neville: Mirror: 12/23/14

I think Spain’s by far the best league.
Scholes. UK Guardian 9/6/16
Blukyt
Egg
Egg

Post by Blukyt »

FATHER TIKO wrote:
Can't strike a ball.
Can't thread a pass.
Average ball control.

:agree:
Cito
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Cito »

Cristao II wrote:
txj wrote:
Cristao II wrote:txj, just accept reality. Sterling is gone. The only thing Liverpool can do is flog him to another team apart from City. Call Chelsea, Call Utd - any team but City. That is the only thing you can do. Sterling's comments have broken the bridge.
Huh?
You are talking to someone who would be happy to sell him for 16m!

The issue here is Waffi's attempt to reconstruct history while telling us how Arsenal would've done better!
Ok I understand ...
Bros do not buy this crap, txj was the one who used a false narrative to reconstruct history. I followed the back and forth between the 2 and it was obvious txj shifted and elongated the goal post from a soccer post to an American football post.
"Learn from others whom have walked the path before you, but be smart enough to know when to cut your own trail."
Mr. Piffington
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Mr. Piffington »

Coach wrote:Good business. Raheem is a talent, but are City the stage? Wouldn't be at all surprised if attentions were turned towards other English talents. City have swept through their own ranks, culling the homegrown quota like a megalomaniac with a supersized bottle of Domestos and extra large marigolds. Rodwell, Boyata, Richards, Gudetti, Milner, Sinclair, if not mistaken, all qualified as homegrown, teat raised. Barkley, Stones would constitute too lofty outlays, Delph made sense from the quota point of view, they'll scour through the foliage of English half decents for a few box tickers.

Tactically, where does Sterling take them? Arguably played his best football as a quasi-number 10, tip of the diamond, in behind a front two. Big season for City, they need fresh ideas and evolution, interesting acquisition without doubt, surely the curtain caller for Navas, but for friendly alliance. Ineffectual and near useless. City need much more than Sterling and haven't strengthened their cause, rather consolidated. Fullback, central defence, central midfield. Decent signing and less than Di Maria. Bonus.

As for Liverpool, one word, Berahino.
Oga boss, speak with facts not feelings. The same City also gave chances to Adam Johnson, Joe Hart, Gareth Barry, James Milner, and Micah Richards. All of whom where integral to City's winning seasons. Rodwell, Boyata, Guidetti, Sinclair, and co weren't good enough and were sold, just like how it's done anywhere else.
This post was made by Appitti who is currently on your ignore list.
This post was made by bully12 who is currently on your ignore list.
This post was made by COOKING SPOON who is currently on your ignore list.
This post was made by danfo driver who is currently on your ignore list.
This post was made by muzines who is currently on your ignore list.
This post was made by ohenhen1 who is currently on your ignore list.
Mr. Piffington
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Mr. Piffington »

Blukyt wrote:This could mark the end of Raheem. Ask Scot Sinclair, Adam Johnson, Jack Rodwell, etc.
Or ask Barry, Milner, and Joe Hart. These guys you mentioned can't even get a game and lower clubs.
This post was made by Appitti who is currently on your ignore list.
This post was made by bully12 who is currently on your ignore list.
This post was made by COOKING SPOON who is currently on your ignore list.
This post was made by danfo driver who is currently on your ignore list.
This post was made by muzines who is currently on your ignore list.
This post was made by ohenhen1 who is currently on your ignore list.
YUJAM
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by YUJAM »

Raheem has a lot of potential IMO. If Pellegrini makes him play the give and gos and run into spaces more intelligently, he should be devastating. I think players like Yaya and Silva will relish having Sterling as an outlet

As for Pool, they seem to have a big problem retaining star players. First it was Suarez and now Sterling. They have to try to retain these players either by paying them really well or showing greater ambition
Ghana's First President Kwame Nkrumah said: "We face neither East nor West; we face Forward"
Prince
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Prince »

FATHER TIKO wrote:
Can't strike a ball.
Can't thread a pass.
Average ball control.

Father Tiko you got it right on Muda Lawal am afraid you got it wrong on this one, my transferring the guy has shown he has the mental toughness that is usually missing in black british players.

All this players you have mentioned there is not much between them but belief which is usually lacking in the Black British Footballers, they teach you to lack belief in yourself at an early age. while they big up themselves.

They are all waiting for the guy to fail and will jump at every single mistakes he makes..... the reason why other black player come to UK and make it because they have been insulated from the system, I really hope the guy has great belief in himself and his abilities.
Oya back to the matter
open and close
Cristao II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Cristao II »

Cito wrote:
Cristao II wrote:
txj wrote:
Cristao II wrote:txj, just accept reality. Sterling is gone. The only thing Liverpool can do is flog him to another team apart from City. Call Chelsea, Call Utd - any team but City. That is the only thing you can do. Sterling's comments have broken the bridge.
Huh?

The issue here is Waffi's attempt to reconstruct history while telling us how Arsenal would've done better!
Ok I understand ...
Bros do not buy this crap, txj was the one who used a false narrative to reconstruct history. I followed the back and forth between the 2 and it was obvious txj shifted and elongated the goal post from a soccer post to an American football post.
:lol: :lol: that is why I said I understand .. btw txj and Waffiman, good luck on getting any of them to admit that their clubs have messed up in anything :lol: :lol: Love the two of them ...
"Will we next create false gods to rule over us? How proud have we become, and how blind."

Primary: Lenovo Y410p: i5-4200M | 2GB Nvidia GT755M | 16GB DDR3L | 1000GB SSD | N2230 | LG24MP76 - Windows 10 64-Bit
Secondary: Dell Inspirion 1545: Core2Duo | 4GB RAM | 320GB 5400RPM - Linux Mint Cinnamon
Tertiary: Lenovo Legion 5 Pro: Ryzen 7 5800H | 32GB DDR4 | 2000GB SSD | 8GB NVidia RTX3070 - Windows 11 Pro
HTC U11+ - Xiaomi Mi8
txj
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by txj »

Cristao II wrote:
Cito wrote:
Cristao II wrote:
txj wrote:
Huh?

Ok I understand ...
:lol: :lol: that is why I said I understand .. btw txj and Waffiman, good luck on getting any of them to admit that their clubs have messed up in anything :lol: :lol: Love the two of them ...

EVERYTHING I wrote is verifiable. There's even a timeline in the times newspaper to boot, with a listing of key events and times...
Form is temporary; Class is Permanent!
Liverpool, European Champions 2005.

We watched this very boring video, 500 times, of Sacchi doing defensive drills, using sticks and without the ball, with Maldini, Baresi and Albertini. We used to think before then that if the other players are better, you have to lose. After that we learned anything is possible – you can beat better teams by using tactics." Jurgen Klopp
txj
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by txj »

Coach wrote:Good business. Raheem is a talent, but are City the stage? Wouldn't be at all surprised if attentions were turned towards other English talents. City have swept through their own ranks, culling the homegrown quota like a megalomaniac with a supersized bottle of Domestos and extra large marigolds. Rodwell, Boyata, Richards, Gudetti, Milner, Sinclair, if not mistaken, all qualified as homegrown, teat raised. Barkley, Stones would constitute too lofty outlays, Delph made sense from the quota point of view, they'll scour through the foliage of English half decents for a few box tickers.

Tactically, where does Sterling take them? Arguably played his best football as a quasi-number 10, tip of the diamond, in behind a front two. Big season for City, they need fresh ideas and evolution, interesting acquisition without doubt, surely the curtain caller for Navas, but for friendly alliance. Ineffectual and near useless. City need much more than Sterling and haven't strengthened their cause, rather consolidated. Fullback, central defence, central midfield. Decent signing and less than Di Maria. Bonus.

As for Liverpool, one word, Berahino.
My thinking is that Sterling will serve City well. He will provide them the breakaway speed and directness they lack esp on the counter.

There is a certain concern though about this returning him to a one dimensional player, which is what Rogers had done quite well in moving him away from...
Last edited by txj on Mon Jul 13, 2015 6:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

We watched this very boring video, 500 times, of Sacchi doing defensive drills, using sticks and without the ball, with Maldini, Baresi and Albertini. We used to think before then that if the other players are better, you have to lose. After that we learned anything is possible – you can beat better teams by using tactics." Jurgen Klopp
Waffiman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Waffiman »

Really disappointed to read all this stuff but I understand. Fans are pained and angry with him but they vent their spleen on the wrong person. Liverpool made their mistakes in this saga and lost a highly promising young player. It is not Sterling fault someone has paid 49m for him. Why have a go at him for what he cannot control.

On the player's part. You guys just do not understand. Sterling was born in one of the worst ghettos in Jamaica, his father was shot dead (murdered) when he was 4 years old, his mum had enough and left to England when he was 5 years old.

Presented with football as an opportunity to better his family, the boy has taken every chance given to him. The City chance has made him financially, now we will see the kid deliver on the pitch. He has shown he is a tough cookie throughout this saga and he will show everyone how goo he is going to be at City. My regret is we did not sign him. But where will we put him even if we could compete with City.
Arsène Wenger at Arsenal, 1996 to 2018. I was there.
Waffiman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Waffiman »

Cristao II wrote:
Cito wrote:
Cristao II wrote:
txj wrote:
Huh?

Ok I understand ...
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
benteke
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by benteke »

Samora Machel wrote:
The way peeps are going on, you would think the boy has stolen something :cry: :cry: :cry:
thats what ive been thinking right from the beginning of this matter, the kid hasnt done anything different tot other more petulent footballers wanting a move

But people coming down on the 20yr old kid like a tonne of bricks :laugh:
txj
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by txj »

Waffiman wrote:
Really disappointed to read all this stuff but I understand. Fans are pained and angry with him but they vent their spleen on the wrong person. Liverpool made their mistakes in this saga and lost a highly promising young player. It is not Sterling fault someone has paid 49m for him. Why have a go at him for what he cannot control.

On the player's part. You guys just do not understand. Sterling was born in one of the worst ghettos in Jamaica, his father was shot dead (murdered) when he was 4 years old, his mum had enough and left to England when he was 5 years old.

Presented with football as an opportunity to better his family, the boy has taken every chance given to him. The City chance has made him financially, now we will see the kid deliver on the pitch. He has shown he is a tough cookie throughout this saga and he will show everyone how goo he is going to be at City. My regret is we did not sign him.
Why do u think the same fans did not similarly go after Suarez who let the club down several times?

The fans are going after him for the manner he and his agent went about it.

He is not the first poor kid to get a big break thru football and he wont be the last.

Time will tell if this gamble does pay off on the pitch. I wish him goodluck...

femibyte
Egg
Egg

Post by femibyte »

txj wrote:
Waffiman wrote:

Presented with football as an opportunity to better his family, the boy has taken every chance given to him. The City chance has made him financially, now we will see the kid deliver on the pitch. He has shown he is a tough cookie throughout this saga and he will show everyone how goo he is going to be at City. My regret is we did not sign him.
Why do u think the same fans did not similarly go after Suarez who let the club down several times?

He is not the first poor kid to get a big break thru football and he wont be the last.

TXJ, abeg leff dem. They're only like this cause it happened to Pool. See how they would be screaming hellfire if Sterling had behaved the same way as a Chelski, Arsenal or ManU player. Hypocrites... :sneaky:
You'll Never Walk Alone... - Liverpool FC
http://www.femibyte.com
abakwa
Egg
Egg

Post by abakwa »

Good luck to Sterling, hope he makes it out well at City. I'm a Liverpool fan and the kid can ball, no point in trying to compare him with other players. He has a high ceiling in front of him and can improve on various areas with time.

How ever you look at it the kid's agent wanted the most cash for himself now. Sterling had the option to bet on his future long term or short therm and he chose the latter. I don't see Raheem moving to City as a step up for his development, but a big step up for his pockets today and that of his agent. The bosses at the Etihad want the Champions league and I don't see Raheem's addition delivering that. Looking 2 to 3 years from now, Sterling's outlook/standing would have been much better at Liverpool than at City. I just don't see and £75m offer going to the Etihad from Madrid or Barcelona with Sterlings name on it.
Does the Nicolas Anelka Real Madrid Saga come to mind to anyone?
Signature Line 1 per Robby
Signature Line 2 per Robby
Signature Line 3 per Robby
Signature Line 4 per Robby
Waffiman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Waffiman »

femibyte wrote:
txj wrote:
Waffiman wrote:

TXJ, abeg leff dem. They're only like this cause it happened to Pool. See how they would be screaming hellfire if Sterling had behaved the same way as a Chelski, Arsenal or ManU player. Hypocrites... :sneaky:
No one has said said Raheem behaved well, we all agree he behaved badly, however, we must not forget Liverpool did not cover themselves in glory in all of this. You are all quick to castigate the player but forget quickly your role in the sorry saga. That's the real hypocrisy.
can04
Egg
Egg

Post by can04 »

good luck to the boy in his future career. all sentiment aside, the lad has talent (i don't think this is in dispute). he is raw in a lot of ways, but clearly has a high ceiling if he he is groomed well.

as a fan, liverpool have lost a player they could ill afford to lose (yet again), but hopefully have learned the lessons of last summer well.
Waffiman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Waffiman »

txj wrote:
Waffiman wrote:

Chai!! See bad bellus. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

All because, Raheem took the Sterling. :taunt: :taunt: :taunt: :taunt:
Gooner1
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Gooner1 »

Waffiman wrote:

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
“If this year, you cannot compete with Spurs, with all the respect I have for them, and Leicester, then change your sport. I’m sorry.” Emmanuel Petit

"I didn't buy Arsenal stake to win trophies" Kroneke
Cito
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Cito »

Tuesday March 1st 2016 @ Anfield; Liverpool 0 V 2 Mancity(Sterlin x2)
I wonder what the atmosphere will be like. :sneaky:
"Learn from others whom have walked the path before you, but be smart enough to know when to cut your own trail."