Sterling tweets : well done Uncle Kelechi..

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

skillful
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: Sterling tweets : well done Uncle Kelechi..

Post by skillful »

If their is no substantial evidence to prove age cheating then we should leave the topic. On a personal note if i was a player and my true age and people were saying am overage I would put it to bed by posting my birth certificate and and the school I attended. If we cant get info on somebody born in the last 20 years............we should be called 4th world :D
"I first saw David Rocastle play in 1983 for the youth team. I remember coming home excitedly from the match and telling my family, "I've just watched the nearest thing to a Brazilian footballer you are ever likely to see - and he comes from Lewisham." - David Dein on Rocky Rocastle
cic old boy
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by cic old boy »

Damunk, I defer to you on these issues. As good nutrition makes Western kids look older, wouldn't poor nutrition make Naija kids look younger? I remember going to the village as an "agriculture" kid and kids my age looked many years younger than me. I think the older look from harsh environment and poor diet comes later in life. A 30 year old village woman that had a hard life would probably look 60, while an aje-butter 30 year old could still be "maintaining".
http://www.naijiant.com/
Comrade Machel
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Comrade Machel »

Damunk wrote:Chai! Kelechi don suffer.
What has a Nigerian boy gotta do to prove he is genuine?

Ohsee, thanks for dedicating the time to make the case.
This thread could do untold damage to the boy's career if the naysayers' words are taken as gospel.
I think you have unwittingly revealed why these rumours persist and we continue to doubt them. Surely if i were a young african football and vicious rumours such as these were doing the rounds, i and my family would do everything and anything possible to prove my age. Personal photos as a kid that would give rough estimate of dates, school photos and reports etc.

So why do these guys NEVER do it :blink: :sneaky: :tic:
Ratlala :thumbs: :D

https://youtu.be/8CZLsYase0Q
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

Samora Machel wrote:

This thread could do untold damage to the boy's career if the naysayers' words are taken as gospel.
I think you have unwittingly revealed why these rumours persist and we continue to doubt them. Surely if i were a young african football and vicious rumours such as these were doing the rounds, i and my family would do everything and anything possible to prove my age. Personal photos as a kid that would give rough estimate of dates, school photos and reports etc.

Simply because they come from poor backgrounds, are hardly educated and their parents are probably illiterate.
Even if not, at least wrt Nigerians, the poor man hardly has any faith in his ability to challenge anything because he feels he doesn't count.
See the difference in approach of the young US-based Nigerian who 'failed' the MRI scan for the Nigeria U17 screening. His parents made it a BIG issue.

Poor man in Nigerian has no faith in justice because the rich and educated control everything. Sad, but true.
"Ole kuku ni gbogbo wọn "
King Futcha
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by King Futcha »

2 word tweet, 13 pages, ok.
Saints baby we did it
“I am in my technical zone and I can’t hear the boos,” Domenech said.
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

cic old boy wrote:Damunk, I defer to you on these issues. As good nutrition makes Western kids look older, wouldn't poor nutrition make Naija kids look younger? I remember going to the village as an "agriculture" kid and kids my age looked many years younger than me. I think the older look from harsh environment and poor diet comes later in life. A 30 year old village woman that had a hard life would probably look 60, while an aje-butter 30 year old could still be "maintaining".
CIC, its a tricky one and several factors are involved. I think in the pre and early adolescent years, poor growth would probably overshadow any 'ruggedness' evident in the village kids' physical features and the 'agric' kids would probably look older. But like I said, growth and development don't necessarily move together and as the kids reach mid-late teens, I suspect the 'hard life' begins to show. They may be physically smaller but their features start to show 'what their eyes have seen'. So I think it begins to manifest earlier than you suggest.

This of course is all anecdotal and there is no reliable research to 'prove' it, but I recall some of the 'village' boys in my class in my Lagos sec school. Older than us they were and it showed, but they were not necessarily physically bigger. Nicknames such as 'Papro Mukaukau', 'Early Man', 'Medusa' and 'Ostra' (for Australopithecus) say it all. These were guys who at the time were barely 15-16 when we were 11-12, but their faces showed the stress of growing up in the harsh environment of the village or at least remote towns.

Comparing and contrasting photos of Sterling and Iheanacho IMHO is unfair anyway. Sterling is exceptionally small for a professional footballer and being from the Caribbean, he probably is of mixed racial ancestry somewhere down the line. Moreover, he has been bred in the UK since about 12 or even earlier if I am not mistaken. I think a fairer comparison would be with kids born and bred in similar circumstances as Iheanacho with certifiable ages.
"Ole kuku ni gbogbo wọn "
Sunset
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Sunset »

Samora Machel wrote:

Why would you go out of your way to prove your age to people who have no factual evidence against you, I'd rather be focusing on football than unsubstantiated allegations from people who have nothing better to do with their lives...

In today's society people would rather believe a lie from someone else than to actually find the real truth themselves, just look at the rumour about Taye Taiwo's cousin which is not funny at all when you know the truth.
ohsee
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by ohsee »

cic old boy wrote:Chai! Chai! Chai! Diaris age fraud oh! :lol:

Oga Ohsee, your post is like an article of faith with the occasional touches of reality.

This is really funny and just shows you have little idea of what is going on in Nigeria. You said CAF catching 3 age cheats alerted Nigerians to mago mago!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Do you mean alert the people doing mago mago to their own mago mago???!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: Who do you think is behind presenting old men as kids in Nigeria? a) the old men; b) the coaches; c) the NFF; d) all of the above? :lol: :lol:

Do you know that when we win youth tournaments with grown azz men everyone is rewarded by the govt? This is the incentive to cheat and to win by any means necessary. It is why we are great in youth tournaments and useless at senior level in terms of the WC. Nobody needs to alert any Nigerian official to mago mago since they are the ones doing it for financial gain.

These are the facts you can't explain away. Fifa mandated the FAs to test ALL players with something that claims to be 99% accurate. We claimed we tested them, yet in a random test 3 failed. I found out that the random tests involve 4 players. So in something that is meant to be 99% accurate, we claim we tested ALL the players, yet 90% failed in a random test of 4! :lol: And you want to claim my view is just based on "prior belief"!!! :lol:

Ok, alright, odinma, let's just assume this was in the bad old days of 2013! :lol:

Random testing in the UAE did not catch any cheat, but only 4 players out of 23 are tested in a test with 99% accuracy! Statisticians in the house, please breakdown the likelihood ratio of there being an overage player, many overage players, and there being no overage players in our squad. I suspect the likelihood of us having many overage players is higher.

Like I said earlier, I'm no expert on MRI scans and would not pretend to be for the purposes of internet debate. But I read somewhere that some research suggests that bone development happens later with sub-Saharan people. Could it explain 20 somethings passing the scan, I don't know. My lay opinion suggests older players have a chance of passing, Nigerian officials have a propensity to cheat, and with random tests only picking 4 out of our 23 man squads, we have a chance of having the majority of our youth teams being overage. So my position is that we are still cheating like there is no tomorrow, despite the steps to stop us.

Nna, I don't know if academies in Naija are filled with overage players. It was you that said our youth teams come from academies and used it as evidence that they are all yoofs. :lol: Even 1naija at 68 is called a "youth leader" in Naija. Most of our youth players coming from academies now is just a sign of the times in terms of the game going global. Many people are now involved as agents, spivs, etc and looking to "discover" the next player to sell to a foreign club. So many of these so-called academies have sprung up all over the place. In Kanu's time most of football development was at the mercy of clubs and schools. As most Naija clubs are not well run, the academies have grabbed many of the promising players.

Ol boy, your pics don't help your case oh :lol: The bobo looked at least 22 in 2013. I no be expert oh, but see the Boniface :lol: , the Adam's apple, etc. I tried to warn you that you don't want to be going down the route of photographic evidence, but you won't listen. :lol:

Nna, tell the truth and shame the devil, who should the "uncle" here :lol: :lol: :lol: :

None of the statements you make above are worthy of comment. You simply continue to apply a vast generalization to all cases, including a specific case where your vast generalization is a huge stretch. No one is denying that there is fraud. But you are denying that there can be any genuine cases.
ohsee
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by ohsee »

cic old boy wrote: :lol: :lol: The only thing "sinister" here is age cheating denying genuine Nigerian youths a chance.

My "agenda" is simple. It is to tell the truth. The truth is that I don't know how old Kelechi is. The truth is that our country is so messed up that we can't rely on passports and birth certs. The truth is that MRI scans have been introduced to stem age cheating. The truth is that it hasn't stamped out the problem, even if it has reduced it. The truth is that I wouldn't stick my neck out and claim that Kelechi is 18. For me, it is a safer bet to think he is older.

The truth is that I have only carried on commenting here b/c people think they can force me to accept what I don't see as the truth. :lol:
Ah. If your agenda were simply to tell the truth that you don't know how old Kelechi is, you would say it and leave it at that. Your agenda in all this debate has been clear, and it is not only to cast doubt on his declared age, but to also insinuate that he is older. That is very different from a neutral statement that we just don't know. In fact, later on in the paragraph above, you contradict yourself and state your agenda clearly: "For me it is a safer bet to think he is older." That there is what you have been trying to do all thread with your terribly weak stereotyping argument. So be careful. You are accusing our footballers of age fraud. There is also something known as intellectual dishonesty or fraud. :idea:
ohsee
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by ohsee »

King Futcha wrote:2 word tweet, 13 pages, ok.
Frazier the gorilla in Manila, look and learn. This is a vital matter, an extremely important issue for the health of our football. 13 pages is not enough. :idea:
airwolex
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by airwolex »

Nigerians cheat at every age grade competition. You can't do things like that and act indignant when you are called out, that's not reasoning properly, that's being obnoxious.

Only last week I spoke to a local coach in the Ikeja area that has a youth club and he confirmed that the cheating is still going on and they are all powerless to stop it.

I don't know why the footballers on this forum are quiet on this issue but I know several Basketballers including one that still plays for this Country who falsified their ages.

For basketball the incentive is to go to America (first high school then College). If they can make a career of it fine if they can't they get their papers. You can't begrudge them because most are dirt poor and it's better to be an age cheat than a drug mule.

I know of a guy who's 28 and went back to high school as a 15 year old. If I posted his picture here you would think he was closer to 15 than 28, is that the kind of guy that a Basketball fan should be excited about as a future star? Jokers!

My advise for him was that once he got there on no account should he touch any of the highschool girls, remember you are old enough to be their father. Good thing he is a smart boy...or man.
FATHER TIKO
Egg
Egg

Post by FATHER TIKO »

CIC, you still dey argue your case with physical appearance?

And your attempt to compare the photos of Sterling & Kelechi flies in the face of all logic.
Sterling's small physique suggests very few players look younger than him; even players who are much younger (again, the danger of using physical appearance to ascertain age)

Put Sterling & Ibe side by side, I'm willing to bet, you CIC, would argue that Ibe is older than Sterling.

My brother, no one is trying to force the age thing down your throat.

My worry is why you prefer to dismiss overwhelming evidence against your perception of Kelechi's age.
"...Some say football is not a matter of life and death;
I can assure you it's more important than that..."
- Bill Shankly
ohsee
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by ohsee »

Chief Doc, you know, I used to be an ageologist until I took the time to investigate the matter. The problem on this thread is that some of us, in the typical African way, form an opinion, and hold onto it forever, irrespective of contrary evidence. Some of us have been caught with their pants down, bluntly stating their opinions without knowing anything about the circumstance: they themselves admit they have not followed U-17 football, yet they have all kinds of strong opinions on Kelechi. It is embarrassingly shameful.
Comrade Machel
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Comrade Machel »

airwolex wrote:Nigerians cheat at every age grade competition. You can't do things like that and act indignant when you are called out, that's not reasoning properly, that's being obnoxious.

Only last week I spoke to a local coach in the Ikeja area that has a youth club and he confirmed that the cheating is still going on and they are all powerless to stop it.

I don't know why the footballers on this forum are quiet on this issue but I know several Basketballers including one that still plays for this Country who falsified their ages.

For basketball the incentive is to go to America (first high school then College). If they can make a career of it fine if they can't they get their papers. You can't begrudge them because most are dirt poor and it's better to be an age cheat than a drug mule.

I know of a guy who's 28 and went back to high school as a 15 year old. If I posted his picture here you would think he was closer to 15 than 28, is that the kind of guy that a Basketball fan should be excited about as a future star? Jokers!

My advise for him was that once he got there on no account should he touch any of the highschool girls, remember you are old enough to be their father. Good thing he is a smart boy...or man.
Chief is this a joke :lol: :lol: :lol:
Ratlala :thumbs: :D

https://youtu.be/8CZLsYase0Q
Sunset
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Sunset »

cic old boy wrote:
These guys are at least 23.... nothing less - 1Naira
ohsee
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by ohsee »

airwolex wrote:Nigerians cheat at every age grade competition. You can't do things like that and act indignant when you are called out, that's not reasoning properly, that's being obnoxious.

My friend, we are talking about Kelechi, you are making silly generalizations. :roll: The issue has never been whether age cheating is still going on: it is whether anything is different in this particular case. Argue against the evidence that this team is different, and that the evidence we have is in favour of Kelechi. Jeez.
airwolex
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by airwolex »

Samora Machel wrote:

Chief is this a joke :lol: :lol: :lol:
I'm dead serious...fantastic hardworking guy, was playing bball and was a security guard in a bank on a salary of about 150 dollars a month, I didn't even know he was that old till he told me. I was happy that he finally got a visa after almost 7 years of trying . TBH I thought he was 22 so I was blown away when he told me his age, to be a 28 year old and have to pretend to be 15 amongst guys young enough to be your nephew is horrible. Should be finishing soon and no...this is not an aberration. I honestly think people like Damunk do not know the scale of the cheating and that's why he gives guys the benefit of the doubt.
airwolex
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by airwolex »

ohsee wrote:

My friend, we are talking about Kelechi, you are making silly generalizations. :roll: The issue has never been whether age cheating is still going on: it is whether anything is different in this particular case. Argue against the evidence that this team is different, and that the evidence we have is in favour of Kelechi. Jeez.
Why is Kelechi any different? Because he is more talented? From what I know about the Nigerian system there's every likelihood he falsified his age. That's why I think he should start playing for Nigeria NOW.
ohsee
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by ohsee »

Samora Machel wrote:

This guy, you make me shake my head when I read what you write on this thread. My friend, you should keep quiet and try to learn something. Why would photos prove anything, WHEN THEY HAVE ALREADY BEEN POSTED AND DISMISSED BY THE DOGMATISTS? "How do we know that he was 3 when he took that pikture?" "Anyborri can forge a school report." My friend, once again, keep quiet and learn.
ohsee
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by ohsee »

airwolex wrote:
Why is Kelechi any different? Because he is more talented? From what I know about the Nigerian system there's every likelihood he falsified his age. That's why I think he should start playing for Nigeria NOW.
Mumu, go and sit down in the corner. You don't even understand what I just told you.
airwolex
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by airwolex »

ohsee wrote:
airwolex wrote:
Mumu, go and sit down in the corner. You don't even understand what I just told you.
You don't understand jack baba...so Kelechi is different because why? He's in ManCity? You are so naive it beggars belief. :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:
FATHER TIKO
Egg
Egg

Post by FATHER TIKO »

My brother, we're not saying there is zero age-falsification in 9ja.
As long as sport (or football) remains an age-related career, players would find ways to abuse age as a factor.

However, there is clear weak evidence against the impact of the efforts being made to combat age-cheating in 9ja. Presenting isolated examples is a weak statistical argument.

What we're arguing is that there is weak evidence being presented that Kelechi Iheanacho may have falsified his age.

We're arguing that it is no longer acceptable to simply suggest a player is an age cheat by basing that assumption on historical precedence or the player's physical appearance.
- Bill Shankly
FATHER TIKO
Egg
Egg

Post by FATHER TIKO »

airwolex wrote: Why is Kelechi any different? Because he is more talented? From what I know about the Nigerian system there's every likelihood he falsified his age. That's why I think he should start playing for Nigeria NOW.
You see the problem?
Stereotyping.

Because of your perception of the 9ja system, every player must be guilty, no matter what.
That's the problem. That's the crux of this debate.
- Bill Shankly