Acid test for Pep Guardiola next season

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

tfco
Eagle
Eagle
Re: Acid test for Pep Guardiola next season

Post by tfco »

kajifu wrote:
amafolas wrote:
wiseone wrote:Pep is going to win trophies at Man City. He has world class players in most positions apart from defence. Apart from their defence, Man City cannot improve their squad by buying players from any other EPL team. Which EPL players at other clubs are better than Man Citys midfielders and attackers? Hazard is about the only one. It is criminal how much their hugely talented squad has under-achieved.
You obviously haven't been paying attention.
- ManCity have no fullbacks. Kolarov/Zabaleta are done (Clichy and Sagna are old)
- Mancity have 1 quality CB and he is nowadays often injured. Mangala and Otamendi are not very good.
- At best, one of F&F is good enough.
- they have not one but 2 brainless speedstars (yes I'm talking about Navas and Sterling)
- Aguero + Nacho is all they have upfront. Aguero is Aguero but he won't go a whole season without injuries.
- Silva hasn't played much this season. Who knows what form he will be in next season?

Their squad needs major refurb. There are like 4 or 5 players (Hart, Kompany, KDB, Aguero, Nacho, Silva). The rest are so so.
Pep history of buying wrong players might be expose again.He will struggle and will be fighting hard to win the league.
What the NDL groupies do not understand

Pep will win the league, but it will not be by December as in Germany.

AFCON 2024 L-O-S-E-R-S

They did not CEDIS coming
Naira Did We :rotf: :rotf:

amafolas
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by amafolas »

tfco wrote:
kajifu wrote:
amafolas wrote:
wiseone wrote:Pep is going to win trophies at Man City. He has world class players in most positions apart from defence. Apart from their defence, Man City cannot improve their squad by buying players from any other EPL team. Which EPL players at other clubs are better than Man Citys midfielders and attackers? Hazard is about the only one. It is criminal how much their hugely talented squad has under-achieved.
You obviously haven't been paying attention.
- ManCity have no fullbacks. Kolarov/Zabaleta are done (Clichy and Sagna are old)
- Mancity have 1 quality CB and he is nowadays often injured. Mangala and Otamendi are not very good.
- At best, one of F&F is good enough.
- they have not one but 2 brainless speedstars (yes I'm talking about Navas and Sterling)
- Aguero + Nacho is all they have upfront. Aguero is Aguero but he won't go a whole season without injuries.
- Silva hasn't played much this season. Who knows what form he will be in next season?

Their squad needs major refurb. There are like 4 or 5 players (Hart, Kompany, KDB, Aguero, Nacho, Silva). The rest are so so.
Pep history of buying wrong players might be expose again.He will struggle and will be fighting hard to win the league.
What the NDL groupies do not understand

Pep w̶i̶l̶l̶ may win the league, but it will not be by December as in Germany.
corrected
"We will go through the gate. If the gate is closed, we will go over the fence. If the fence is too high, we will pole vault in. If that doesn’t work, we will parachute in. But we are going to get health-care reform passed"
Nancy Pelosi, 01/28/2010 after Scott Brown got elected to Ted Kennedy's senate seat.
Vincent.
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Vincent. »

femibyte wrote:Anyone willing to bet with me that Pep isn't gonna come to Man City next season and sweep all and sundry before him ?

We will see how those EPL detractors (they know who they are) explain such a conundrum.
I mean we go see how the 'best coach in the world' according to La Liga standards holds up against the likes of Stoke on a wet winter evening. I can't wait. Dem go sober. The EPL is like no other league. Blood and thunder, guts and glory.
Pep go learn...
The problem with these kinds of proclamations is that coaches don't actually play. It is the players who have to play. What any coach can achieve is limited to the team he has. Yes, a coach can maximize his team's potential to win, but it is ultimately the players who will have to do the job. The English media and EPL followers seem to have this idea that the team with the "best" coach wins.

As for Guardiola, I don't know anyone in La Liga who describes him as "the best coach in the world." People over there are not too much concerned about those labels because they know that a lot of things go into making great teams and that appointing a coach does not automatically transform a team.

Guardiola will definitely improve Man City and change their style of play, but there is no guarantee that Guardiola (or any other coach) will win the EPL. It will all depend on the TEAM he has, the changes he makes, how quickly those changes achieve the desired effect, etc. Also, the other wealthy EPL clubs will have a say - nobody is going to lie down and let Guardiola win. The best or richest team will win.
Eto’o, Ronaldinho, Deco, and Messi are like good caviar, tender pine-nuts, chemical-free sea salt, and the purest of virgin olive oils, said one of the world's greatest chefs, Ferran Adria of El Bulli restaurant, Before Barca went on to wallop Madrid 3-0 at the Bernabeu.

“I believe the target of anything in life should be to do it so well that it becomes an art. Football is like that. When I watch Barcelona, it is art” — Arsène Wenger, August 2009
Vincent.
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Vincent. »

green4life wrote:He will do fine in England though he and city fans may have to endure some temporary growing pains mostly because their squad needs a revamp and the tangible effects likely won't be seen in his first season.
God bless you! The people opening these types of threads seem to think that all you need to do is appoint an elite coach and victory will automatically fall into your lap. Coaches are not magicians. It will all depend on how quickly he can build the team he wants. Even then, he won't win if the opponents have better teams.
Eto’o, Ronaldinho, Deco, and Messi are like good caviar, tender pine-nuts, chemical-free sea salt, and the purest of virgin olive oils, said one of the world's greatest chefs, Ferran Adria of El Bulli restaurant, Before Barca went on to wallop Madrid 3-0 at the Bernabeu.

“I believe the target of anything in life should be to do it so well that it becomes an art. Football is like that. When I watch Barcelona, it is art” — Arsène Wenger, August 2009
benteke
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by benteke »

Pep has already spent £150 million this season transfer window, more than any other manager
oloye
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by oloye »

benteke wrote:Pep has already spent £150 million this season transfer window, more than any other manager
Dont worry no one notices now...it is the others who buy titles
"There is big pressure at this club as you cannot be like the manager at Arsenal and ask for five years to try and to win one trophy" - Jose Mourinho

.... I believe in God. I try to be a good man so He can have a bit of time to give me a hand when I need it - Jose Mourinho
Vincent.
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Vincent. »

benteke wrote:Pep has already spent £150 million this season transfer window, more than any other manager
Which players did he buy for £150 million?

benteke
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by benteke »

Vincent. wrote:

John Stones ~£47million
Leroy Sane £37M
Gabriel Jesus £27M
Gundogan £20M
Nolito £13.8M
Marlos Moreno £4.7M
Oleksandr Zinchenko £1.7M
benteke
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by benteke »

So, is City already doing anything different from what we saw when Pellegrini first arrived and they were demolishing teams with big scores on their way to the title, let's ignore that 150million odd for a moment, is City playing a completely new style now, Pep's methods already working so early ?
I remember some saying the Sunderland game was boring
danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by danfo driver »

benteke wrote:
Vincent. wrote:

John Stones ~£47million
Leroy Sane £37M
Gabriel Jesus £27M
Gundogan £20M
Nolito £13.8M
Marlos Moreno £4.7M
You are a wicked man! :rotf: :rotf: see as you shut the guy up with the truth :rotf: :rotf: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Some people are prepared to spread their legs for their white master. Someone once said Guardiola isnt playing Yaya because he wants Yaya to improve his intensity and once that happens, yaya will be back :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: talk about delusions.
"it is better to be excited now and disappointed later, than it is to be disappointed now and later." - Marcus Aurelius, 178AD
metalalloy wrote: Does the SE have Gray, Mahrez or Albrighton on our team or players of their caliber?
danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by danfo driver »

benteke wrote:So, is City already doing anything different from what we saw when Pellegrini first arrived and they were demolishing teams with big scores on their way to the title, let's ignore that 150million odd for a moment, is City playing a completely new style now, Pep's methods already working so early ?
Pep is a phenomenal coach., and i expect him to perfom much better than Pellegrini. My only issue is that his tactics defensively will be exploited by direct attack if he does not adapt
"it is better to be excited now and disappointed later, than it is to be disappointed now and later." - Marcus Aurelius, 178AD
metalalloy wrote: Does the SE have Gray, Mahrez or Albrighton on our team or players of their caliber?
benteke
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by benteke »

danfo driver wrote:
benteke wrote:So, is City already doing anything different from what we saw when Pellegrini first arrived and they were demolishing teams with big scores on their way to the title, let's ignore that 150million odd for a moment, is City playing a completely new style now, Pep's methods already working so early ?
Pep is a phenomenal coach., and i expect him to perfom much better than Pellegrini. My only issue is that his tactics defensively will be exploited by direct attack if he does not adapt
He has just walked into what was considered by most to be the best squad in EPL, only that it was underperforming last season.

And he has dabbed 150million onto it.
And that's a squad that's been continually refurbished every year since Mancini.
tfco
Eagle
Eagle

Post by tfco »

benteke wrote:
Vincent. wrote:

John Stones ~£47million
Leroy Sane £37M
Gabriel Jesus £27M
Gundogan £20M
Nolito £13.8M
Marlos Moreno £4.7M
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

damn.

AFCON 2024 L-O-S-E-R-S

They did not CEDIS coming
Naira Did We :rotf: :rotf:

cic old boy
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by cic old boy »

:laugh: The English media’s obsession with the mythical powers and personality cult of managers seeps through this post.

Pep is a coach and not a magician. He relies on players to get the job done and it takes time to embed whatever he’s teaching. So it’s ridiculous to expect City to be very different after 2/3 games.

You may want to ignore the 1£50m for now since Gundogan, Sane, Jesus, etc have not played. The other Jesus (Navas) has played and he’s still a headless chicken and 99.9% of the time would not put in a good cross from the byline. I think Gundogan is expected to get their passing game going like Barca/Bayern. What I’ve seen so far has been very poor passing and decision-making. Silva is a big culprit here and I don’t think Nolito is any great shakes – average at best. Sterling may have had a new lease of life under Pep, but his brain still struggles to keep up with his fast legs.

People bang on about the City squad, this is possibly due to the amounts spent, but the only player of genuine quality there is Aguero (now that Toure is on his last legs). Fernandino is also a decent player, but more in terms of effort than inspiration.

The real issue that Guardiola faces is that this would be the 1st time since his days with Barca B that he has worked with players so average.

That said, he has got them pressing well.
http://www.naijiant.com/
Vincent.
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Vincent. »

benteke wrote:
Vincent. wrote:

John Stones ~£47million
Leroy Sane £37M
Gabriel Jesus £27M
Gundogan £20M
Nolito £13.8M
Marlos Moreno £4.7M
Seven players for £150 million is not outrageous, but Gabriel Jesus is unproven outside Brazil and should not have cost more than £7-10 million. He has not even played for the national team, I think.

John Stones not worth more than £15-20 million, but he is English so he goes for double.

I have not seen much of Sane, but £37 million seems excessive for someone who is not a starter for the national team. I suppose Bayern Munich would have bought him if they thought he was that good. Time will tell.

Vincent.
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Vincent. »

cic old boy wrote:
:laugh: The English media’s obsession with the mythical powers and personality cult of managers seeps through this post.

Pep is a coach and not a magician. He relies on players to get the job done and it takes time to embed whatever he’s teaching. So it’s ridiculous to expect City to be very different after 2/3 games.

You may want to ignore the 1£50m for now since Gundogan, Sane, Jesus, etc have not played. The other Jesus (Navas) has played and he’s still a headless chicken and 99.9% of the time would not put in a good cross from the byline. I think Gundogan is expected to get their passing game going like Barca/Bayern. What I’ve seen so far has been very poor passing and decision-making. Silva is a big culprit here and I don’t think Nolito is any great shakes – average at best. Sterling may have had a new lease of life under Pep, but his brain still struggles to keep up with his fast legs.

People bang on about the City squad, this is possibly due to the amounts spent, but the only player of genuine quality there is Aguero (now that Toure is on his last legs). Fernandino is also a decent player, but more in terms of effort than inspiration.

The real issue that Guardiola faces is that this would be the 1st time since his days with Barca B that he has worked with players so average.

God bless you. Some of our CE folks are beginning to acquire this EPL obsession with the personality of managers and the "buy, buy, buy" mentality. The fact that City has spent so much money on so many average players demonstrates that just throwing money at players is foolish. Money does not play football. Managers do not play football. Results will be determined by the REAL quality of players and the coaching ability of the managers (not their personality).

Jorgen Klopp was complaining about this "buy, buy, buy" mentality after Liverpool lost a league game. The immediate reaction of EPL journalists was to ask him to buy more players before the end of the transfer window. Klopp told them they were obsessed with player purchases and did not seen to understand the concept of a coach actually improving his players on the training pitch. :D

Liverpool manager Jürgen Klopp says media is 'obsessed' with transfer window

txj
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by txj »

Paul Pogba £89.25m
Henrikh Mkhitaryan £35.70m
Eric Bailly £32.30m
Zlatan Ibrahimovic: 12.5m (Yes, free transfer, but we know nothing is for free! How much is his annual salary? 240k/wk, which is 12.5m)

Total: 169.75

http://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/manchest ... verein/985
Form is temporary; Class is Permanent!
Liverpool, European Champions 2005.

We watched this very boring video, 500 times, of Sacchi doing defensive drills, using sticks and without the ball, with Maldini, Baresi and Albertini. We used to think before then that if the other players are better, you have to lose. After that we learned anything is possible – you can beat better teams by using tactics." Jurgen Klopp
benteke
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by benteke »

txj wrote:Paul Pogba £89.25m
Eric Bailly £32.30m
Zlatan Ibrahimovic: 12.5m (Yes, free transfer, but we know nothing is for free! How much is his annual salary? 240k/wk, which is 12.5m)

:rotf: Zlatan is free free free, no signing on fee, simply free.

I am surprised how you are clutching straws.

Otherwise you will have to include everyone else's wage bill because they are not playing for FREE :laugh:

* Plus for Pep's signings i took great care to use the lowest figures i could ever spot on the internet because i was expecting trouble on CE :thumbs:
Last edited by benteke on Tue Aug 23, 2016 11:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
txj
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by txj »

Vincent. wrote:
cic old boy wrote:

God bless you. Some of our CE folks are beginning to acquire this EPL obsession with the personality of managers and the "buy, buy, buy" mentality. The fact that City has spent so much money on so many average players demonstrates that just throwing money at players is foolish. Money does not play football. Managers do not play football. Results will be determined by the REAL quality of players and the coaching ability of the managers (not their personality).

Jorgen Klopp was complaining about this "buy, buy, buy" mentality after Liverpool lost a league game. The immediate reaction of EPL journalists was to ask him to buy more players before the end of the transfer window. Klopp told them they were obsessed with player purchases and did not seen to understand the concept of a coach actually improving his players on the training pitch. :D

Its crazy isn't it? The way Wenger is being harangued by just about everybody is nothing short of disgraceful! There must be some serious egunje for journos...Nothing else seems to make sense...

We watched this very boring video, 500 times, of Sacchi doing defensive drills, using sticks and without the ball, with Maldini, Baresi and Albertini. We used to think before then that if the other players are better, you have to lose. After that we learned anything is possible – you can beat better teams by using tactics." Jurgen Klopp
Vincent.
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Vincent. »

txj wrote:
Vincent. wrote:
cic old boy wrote:

Its crazy isn't it? The way Wenger is being harangued by just about everybody is nothing short of disgraceful! There must be some serious egunje for journos...Nothing else seems to make sense...
It is real madness caused by ignorance. I listened to Wenger's press conference after the match against Leicester, and the man was clearly frustrated by the attitude of football journalists. No attempt to even ask questions about the match itself, only questions about why Wenger has not "brought in" more players.

I am sure most UK journalists know nothing about Mustafi or Lacassette, but they want Wenger to splash out on them anyway (50 million euros for Mustafi). Just because the transfer window is open :rotf: Nobody cares whether these players will actually improve the squad or whether they are value for money.

Arsenal fans hear and read this all the time and they become angry that Wenger is not buying players. Anytime Arsenal draws or loses, match analysis boils down to "Wenger did not buy new players." Nothing more.

txj
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by txj »

benteke wrote:
txj wrote:Paul Pogba £89.25m
Eric Bailly £32.30m

:rotf: Zlatan is free free free, no signing on fee, simply free.

I am surprised how you are clutching straws.

Otherwise you will have to include everyone else's wage bill because they are not playing for FREE :laugh:

* Plus for Pep's signings i took great care to use the lowest figures i could ever spot on the internet because i was expecting trouble on CE :thumbs:
True there is no transfer fee involved, but you compensate for that in salaries. Salaries, as in wages, compensation.... Understand?

That's how 'free transfers' work, bro...

12.5m pa.

txj
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by txj »

Vincent. wrote:
txj wrote:
Vincent. wrote:
cic old boy wrote:

It is real madness caused by ignorance. I listened to Wenger's press conference after the match against Leicester, and the man was clearly frustrated by the attitude of football journalists. No attempt to even ask questions about the match itself, only questions about why Wenger has not "brought in" more players.

I am sure most UK journalists know nothing about Mustafi or Lacassette, but they want Wenger to splash out on them anyway (50 million euros for Mustafi). Just because the transfer window is open :rotf: Nobody cares whether these players will actually improve the squad or whether they are value for money.

Arsenal fans hear and read this all the time and they become angry that Wenger is not buying players. Anytime Arsenal draws or loses, match analysis boils down to "Wenger did not buy new players." Nothing more.

I read an article on ESPN by this odious english reporter Tony Evans, who was thrown out of covering Liverpool. He stated as follows:

"Now, with the huge television deal (Arsenal will earn in the region of £140 million in domestic TV money alone this season), the Premier League salary cap and financial fair play restrictions it is almost impossible for a top-flight club to teeter towards the fiscal abyss the way they could during Wenger's first few years in England."

benteke
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by benteke »

Vincent. wrote:
txj wrote:
Vincent. wrote:
cic old boy wrote:

People made some laughing sounds when Real Madrid was splashing over 200 million on players in the 2009-2010 season, that was including 80million Ronaldo.
And they continued to strengthen after that window, and they soon added 2 CL trophies, now no one is laughing, instead people praise the quality of Real Madrid's team.
The same people that will blast an EPL team for trying to do the same .