Manchester United - News, Developments & Season

Discuss World Football here. Continental football, International Leagues, and players.
benteke
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: Manchester United - News, Developments & Season

Post by benteke »

wiseone wrote:They should never have been in the position of having to win away against West Ham in their last game at Upton Park. There were mitigating circumstances for the players such as the West Ham "fans" terrorist attack on the Man Utd team bus before the game (did the FA punish West Ham for that?...).

They lost the CL spot long before then. What has cost them is their inability to hold a lead and see out a game from winning positions. They were 2-0 up against Newcastle and ended up drawing after an injury time Newcastle goal. They were winning against Chelsea and conceded an injury time equaliser after that brainless "pass" by Depay that gave possession back to Chelsea. They conceded a goal in the dying minutes against Southampton. The dropped points from those games (which would have them in 3rd place above Arsenal if they could have just concentrated for another few seconds) is what cost them.

However the players should never have been in that must-win situation t begin wi
I do agree with a all of what you say.

But winners have to do it when the pressure is highest, remember City found themselves needing to equalize in extra time in order to win the title in 2012 and they rose up to the occasion. One could argue they shouldn't have been in that position but when it mattered they delivered.

Push had come to shove, and all that's was needed was a victory in 90 minutes, the team actually went ahead but then crumbled and threw everything away when it mattered most.
I think even Ferguson would have given them a serious hairdryer after such a performance.
tfco
Eagle
Eagle

Post by tfco »

wiseone wrote:They should never have been in the position of having to win away against West Ham in their last game at Upton Park. There were mitigating circumstances for the players such as the West Ham "fans" terrorist attack on the Man Utd team bus before the game (did the FA punish West Ham for that?...).

They lost the CL spot long before then. What has cost them is their inability to hold a lead and see out a game from winning positions. They were 2-0 up against Newcastle and ended up drawing after an injury time Newcastle goal. They were winning against Chelsea and conceded an injury time equaliser after that brainless "pass" by Depay that gave possession back to Chelsea. They conceded a goal in the dying minutes against Southampton. The dropped points from those games (which would have them in 3rd place above Arsenal if they could have just concentrated for another few seconds) is what cost them.

However the players should never have been in that must-win situation t begin wi
:clap: :clap: :clap:

AFCON 2024 L-O-S-E-R-S

They did not CEDIS coming
Naira Did We :rotf: :rotf:

wiseone
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by wiseone »

Benteke - the point is that the team repeatedly failed to capitalise on winning situations, and crumbled when faced with pressure. The West Ham game was not a one-off. It was a pattern last season that they repeated at crucial times - against teams who were in the bottom half of the table (two of which got relegated).

Who can forget the embarrassing hard fought 1-0 home win against Aston Villa? They nearly blew that too (against a team that was bottom of the league and that had already been relegated with a month of the season still to go). Man Utd ended up hanging on for dear life in the last 10 minutes. Gestede hit the post and Villa nearly scored twice in the last ten minutes. They made Aston Villa (one of the worst teams ever in the history of the EPL) look like Bayern Munich.

benteke wrote:

But winners have to do it when the pressure is highest, remember City found themselves needing to equalize in extra time in order to win the title in 2012 and they rose up to the occasion. One could argue they shouldn't have been in that position but when it mattered they delivered.

Push had come to shove, and all that's was needed was a victory in 90 minutes, the team actually went ahead but then crumbled and threw everything away when it mattered most.
I think even Ferguson would have given them a serious hairdryer after such a performance.
benteke
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by benteke »

wiseone wrote:Benteke - the point is that the team repeatedly failed to capitalise on winning situations, and crumbled when faced with pressure. The West Ham game was not a one-off. It was a pattern last season that they repeated at crucial times - against teams who were in the bottom half of the table (two of which got relegated).

Who can forget the embarrassing hard fought 1-0 home win against Aston Villa? They nearly blew that too (against a team that was bottom of the league and that had already been relegated with a month of the season still to go). Man Utd ended up hanging on for dear life in the last 10 minutes. Gestede hit the post and Villa nearly scored twice in the last ten minutes. They made Aston Villa (one of the worst teams ever in the history of the EPL) look like Bayern Munich.

benteke wrote:

I understand you completely bro, i mean if Man Utd wasn't blowing leads all season, we would have been in the title race isn't it ?

But what I'm saying is it came down to that one game at West Ham, it was our cup final, for once the whole team needed to behave like a big team, and they crumbled, they had no fighting spirit, no one on the pitch took charge.

I was most disappointed by that game.
kajifu
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by kajifu »

wiseone wrote:Christian Benteke just joined Crystal Palace for 32 million (a year after Liverpool bought him for the same amount). So basically Liverpool have bought and sold a player without losing market value.

It really struck me that when Man Utd buy a player they always pay over the odds/inflated fees (60 million for Di Maria, 29 million for Fellaini, 60 million for Martial, 29 million for RVP etc). Yet when they sell players, they almost give them away. A few examples:

1) Man Utd bought Di Maria for 60 million and sold him for 45 million less than a year later (15 million loss in less than a year!).
2) Bought Zaha for 15 million, sold him for 3 million (11 million loss).
3) Bought RVP for 29 million, sold him for about 6 million (23 million loss).
4) Sold promising England U21 international defender Michael Keane to Burnley for 3 million (the same summer, Burnley sold an out of contract Danny Ings for 8 million!)
5) Bought Nani for 17 million, sold him for 3 million (and paid his wages while he played for another team).
6) Bought Berbatov for 30 million, sold him for 2 million (28 million loss).
7) Sold 22yo Welbeck (England international) to one of their top rivals for 16 million. Meanwhile strikers of his ilk are being sold for upwards of 30 million (Benteke, Bolasie etc).

Something is really wrong in the transfer planning dept at Man Utd.
I hope you consider also that those guys also win tittles in their time,Nani,RVP,Welbeck etc
wiseone
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by wiseone »

Exactly - which should have inflated their transfer fee even more. It is not often that a player who has won 4 EPLs, played in three CL finals, and won over 100 caps (AKA Nani) gets sold for 2-3 million at age 27. For comparison, Mkhitaryan (who has never won a title or played in a CL final) was just bought for 27 million - at the same age as Nani was.

kajifu wrote: I hope you consider also that those guys also win tittles in their time,Nani,RVP,Welbeck etc
tfco
Eagle
Eagle
Re: Man Utd about to shell 40 million for Bailly

Post by tfco »

AFCON 2024 L-O-S-E-R-S

tfco
Eagle
Eagle

Post by tfco »

:thumbs: :thumbs:

looking like our Eric won MOTM vs Hull

AFCON 2024 L-O-S-E-R-S

txj
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by txj »

tfco wrote::thumbs: :thumbs:

:rotf: :rotf: :rotf:

Great performance against a devastating Hull attack!
Form is temporary; Class is Permanent!
Liverpool, European Champions 2005.

We watched this very boring video, 500 times, of Sacchi doing defensive drills, using sticks and without the ball, with Maldini, Baresi and Albertini. We used to think before then that if the other players are better, you have to lose. After that we learned anything is possible – you can beat better teams by using tactics." Jurgen Klopp
wiseone
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by wiseone »

I actually think Blind was MOM today against Hull. His composure and technique nicely compliment's Bailly's physicality and sometimes over-enthusiastic tackling.

Jose has been very fortunate to start with winnable games against Bournemouth, Southampton, and Hull (two teams that got promoted to the EPL in the past 2 seasons, and another that got promoted to the EPL 3 seasons ago). Moyes' first four games in charge included Chelsea, Liverpool, and Man City! He may still have a job if he'd faced the same teams Jose did in his first 3 games.
txj wrote:

Gotti
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Gotti »

wiseone wrote:I actually think Blind was MOM today against Hull. His composure and technique nicely compliment's Bailly's physicality and sometimes over-enthusiastic tackling.
Bailly's game surpasses mere physicality...
He's technically good, intelligent, quick and physical!
#ENDSARS #BLM
#ENDPOLICEBRUTALITY

#FREESENEGAL
tfco
Eagle
Eagle

Post by tfco »

txj wrote:

congrats against the world-beating Burnley strikers

AFCON 2024 L-O-S-E-R-S

danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by danfo driver »

ohsee wrote:
spastic wrote: Lol. My bad. Bayi
:D :taunt:
By the way, in Igbo Wawa dialect "bayi" means "our home," and is short for "wata bayi" or "our homeboy." Our homeboy was impressive vs Bournemouth. Wish City had bought him. :(
Its funny how United has the CB partnership PEP wants :rotf: Bailly and Blind would have been perfect for Pep.
"it is better to be excited now and disappointed later, than it is to be disappointed now and later." - Marcus Aurelius, 178AD
metalalloy wrote: Does the SE have Gray, Mahrez or Albrighton on our team or players of their caliber?
danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by danfo driver »

tfco wrote:
:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Smalling and Jones must be wondering. WTF :rotf:
"it is better to be excited now and disappointed later, than it is to be disappointed now and later." - Marcus Aurelius, 178AD
metalalloy wrote: Does the SE have Gray, Mahrez or Albrighton on our team or players of their caliber?
danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by danfo driver »

Yup! Our brother don gon' and did it again :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:

4 games and 3 MOTM. What a steal by United. After he humiliated Liverpool last season in Europa League, i knew he will be right at home in England :clap:
danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by danfo driver »

Gotti wrote:
wiseone wrote:I actually think Blind was MOM today against Hull. His composure and technique nicely compliment's Bailly's physicality and sometimes over-enthusiastic tackling.
I wanted to respond but decided not to. Physicality. You look at Bailly's technique, superior passing, ball control, anticipation, but its physicality that comes out of your mouth? Smh
danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by danfo driver »

tfco wrote:
txj wrote:

congrats against the world-beating Burnley strikers
:rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:
wiseone
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by wiseone »

Little tactical tweaks I noticed/liked:

1) As soon as Rashford scored that injury time winner against Hull, all the subs jumped up in wild celebration. Mike Smalling tried to do the same but Mourinho immediately pointed at him, stopped him from celebrating, and ordered him to get changed and ready to come on. Poor Mike did not get to celebrate with his teammates. :D

Great focus by Mourinho to control his emotions and concentrate on getting Mike Smalling on the pitch to close out the game (rather than getting carried away with the celebrations).

2) Have you noticed that when Man Utd kick-off this season, they use exactly the same pass/move/positioning pattern: Fellaini and Zlatan (the big guys) move to the right hand side of the pitch (almost like right wingers). From the kick-off Man Utd roll the ball back to Blind who immediately fires a long crossfield diagonal pass towards the right wing area where Fellaini and Zlatan are positioned. It must be orders from Jose. Good way to immediately get the ball/team deep into the opposition half straight from kick off.
wiseone
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by wiseone »

It is legal to compliment both Bailly and Blind. Complimenting Blind does not detract from Bailly's attributes. Man Utd are allowed to have more than one good defender. In other news, great things I heard:

*"Bailly is the player Man City thought they bought when they bought Mangala". :lol:
*"Daley Blind is the player John Stones thinks he is". :lol:
Gotti wrote:
Coach
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Coach »

Mike who? Will Made it.

Christopher Smalling brethren. Get in before Tf''s pen gets in.
tfco
Eagle
Eagle

Post by tfco »

Coach wrote:Mike who? Will Made it.

Christopher Smalling brethren. Get in before Tf''s pen gets in.
:?

Handbag, you disappoint me

AFCON 2024 L-O-S-E-R-S

Gotti
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Gotti »

wiseone wrote:It is legal to compliment both Bailly and Blind. Complimenting Blind does not detract from Bailly's attributes. Man Utd are allowed to have more than one good defender. In other news, great things I heard:
WTF?! :shock:

Who said it was not?
Anyway, it's also legal for 2 different persons to 'compliment' ONE person differently!
#ENDSARS #BLM
#ENDPOLICEBRUTALITY

#FREESENEGAL
FATHER TIKO
Egg
Egg

Post by FATHER TIKO »

Softly, softly...its only 3 games...
Bailly has only encountered 'nobodys' like Wilson (Bournemouth), Redmond & Long (S'thampton), Henandez (Hull)...

Bigger tests lie ahead; only then shall we judge how really good he is at the EPL...
"...Some say football is not a matter of life and death;
I can assure you it's more important than that..."
- Bill Shankly