Manchester United - News, Developments & Season

Discuss World Football here. Continental football, International Leagues, and players.
rasak74
Egg
Egg
Re: Man Utd about to shell 40 million for Bailly

Post by rasak74 »

FATHER TIKO wrote:Softly, softly...its only 3 games...
Bailly has only encountered 'nobodys' like Wilson (Bournemouth), Redmond & Long (S'thampton), Henandez (Hull)...

Bigger tests lie ahead; only then shall we judge how really good he is at the EPL...
Those strikers would have a field day with arsenal's defence any day.
Internet gangster
Uses the internet as a front for acting like a tough guy gang member, usually because they are hoping to gain the respect that they lack in their real life. Don't be fooled........This person is a sham. This person is not actually an attack dog, they are a timid house cat.
Troll
One who deliberately starts an argument in a manner which attacks others on a forum without in any way listening to the arguments proposed by his or her peers.
FATHER TIKO
Egg
Egg

Post by FATHER TIKO »

rasak74 wrote:
Bailly has only encountered 'nobodys' like Wilson (Bournemouth), Redmond & Long (S'thampton), Henandez (Hull)...

Bigger tests lie ahead; only then shall we judge how really good he is at the EPL...
Those strikers would have a field day with arsenal's defence any day.
With due respect, Arsenal's central defence (Holding & Chambers) is not the standard used to judge Bailly...
Bailly is supposed to be better, abi?
"...Some say football is not a matter of life and death;
I can assure you it's more important than that..."
- Bill Shankly
wiseone
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by wiseone »

I agree. The acid test for Man Utd's defence will come in the next game (Man City) where they will face players of much greater quality (Aguero, Silva, de Bruyne, Sterling, Nolito etc).

As I said earlier in this thread:

"Jose has been very fortunate to start with winnable games against Bournemouth, Southampton, and Hull (two teams that got promoted to the EPL in the past 2 seasons, and another that got promoted to the EPL 3 seasons ago). Moyes' first four games in charge included Chelsea, Liverpool, and Man City! He may still have a job if he'd faced the same teams Jose did in his first 3 games."

Coach
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Coach »

Aguero may be banned.
FATHER TIKO
Egg
Egg

Post by FATHER TIKO »

wiseone wrote:I agree. The acid test for Man Utd's defence will come in the next game (Man City) where they will face players of much greater quality (Aguero, Silva, de Bruyne, Sterling, Nolito etc).

"Jose has been very fortunate to start with winnable games against Bournemouth, Southampton, and Hull (two teams that got promoted to the EPL in the past 2 seasons, and another that got promoted to the EPL 3 seasons ago). Moyes' first four games in charge included Chelsea, Liverpool, and Man City! He may still have a job if he'd faced the same teams Jose did in his first 3 games."

Reason the exaltation by the pundits maybe misplaced. ManU have played only 3 games that were winnable anyway.
Same with Chelsea & to an extent, ManCity (only testy tie has been WHam, who are injury-plagued).
Last season, ManCity were blowing teams away the first 5 weeks and pundits promptly handed them the title...

I think Klopp's Liverpool look really dangerous (outplayed 2 rivals at their own grounds), and Arsenal shall definitely improve as returning players settle.

Nothing is certain yet.

Its only 3 weeks and people are already handing out credits..?
- Bill Shankly
YUJAM
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by YUJAM »

Chief. Bailly faced better players in La Liga. But that said I think Man U's defense in general may be exposed against City.
FATHER TIKO wrote:
wiseone wrote:I agree. The acid test for Man Utd's defence will come in the next game (Man City) where they will face players of much greater quality (Aguero, Silva, de Bruyne, Sterling, Nolito etc).

Reason the exaltation by the pundits maybe misplaced. ManU have played only 3 games that were winnable anyway.
Same with Chelsea & to an extent, ManCity (only testy tie has been WHam, who are injury-plagued).
Last season, ManCity were blowing teams away the first 5 weeks and pundits promptly handed them the title...

I think Klopp's Liverpool look really dangerous (outplayed 2 rivals at their own grounds), and Arsenal shall definitely improve as returning players settle.

Nothing is certain yet.

Ghana's First President Kwame Nkrumah said: "We face neither East nor West; we face Forward"
wiseone
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by wiseone »

I actually think the "traditional top 4" (the two Manchester clubs and the two north London EPL clubs) will re-assert their dominance this season. I cannot see Spurs or Leicester finishing in the top 4 season. We have seen that Man City, Man Utd, and Chelsea can just throw extraordinary sums of money about to buy themselves out of trouble if they have a bad season or two. Top 4 is likely to be City, Utd, Chelsea, Arsenal, with Spurs and Liverpool duking it out for 5th and 6th.
FATHER TIKO wrote:

Nothing is certain yet.

FATHER TIKO
Egg
Egg

Post by FATHER TIKO »

YUJAM wrote:Chief. Bailly faced better players in La Liga. But that said I think Man U's defense in general may be exposed against City.
Agreed, against the likes of Suarez, Benzema, Neymar, CR7, Gameiro, Greizman, Torres, and the peerless Messi...
And how exactly did Bailly fare?

That is precisely my point, because Sanchez, Hazard, Aguero, Costa, even a fit Sturridge, or Kane; aren't that far behind those La Liga stars...
That's when to truly assess Bailly...
- Bill Shankly
YUJAM
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by YUJAM »

FATHER TIKO wrote:
YUJAM wrote:Chief. Bailly faced better players in La Liga. But that said I think Man U's defense in general may be exposed against City.
Agreed, against the likes of Suarez, Benzema, Neymar, CR7, Gameiro, Greizman, Torres, and the peerless Messi...

That is precisely my point, because Sanchez, Hazard, Aguero, Costa, even a fit Sturridge, or Kane; aren't that far behind those La Liga stars...
He had a hard time his first season at Espanyol but midway into his second season, he was holding his own.

But I agree with you that the Man U defense overall will likley suffer against City
Ghana's First President Kwame Nkrumah said: "We face neither East nor West; we face Forward"
txj
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by txj »

YUJAM wrote:
FATHER TIKO wrote:

He had a hard time his first season at Espanyol but midway into his second season, he was holding his own.

But I agree with you that the Man U defense overall will likley suffer against City
That's not quite true :biggrin: :biggrin:

But I'm quite happy for brother Bailly that so many are rooting for him, on and off the pitch...Hoping they'll be there when the rough times set in...
Form is temporary; Class is Permanent!
Liverpool, European Champions 2005.

We watched this very boring video, 500 times, of Sacchi doing defensive drills, using sticks and without the ball, with Maldini, Baresi and Albertini. We used to think before then that if the other players are better, you have to lose. After that we learned anything is possible – you can beat better teams by using tactics." Jurgen Klopp
wiseone
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by wiseone »

This thread makes me think: has the standard of defending worldwide receded? In this day and age, people are paying nearly 50 million for "work in progress" CDs that are not even the finished article yet. Man City have three center-backs that cost a combined 130 million! (and none of them is the second coming of Baresi) Does the dearth of high quality defenders mean that clubs will pay crazy money for any half decent CD?

The elite defenders today are guys like Pique, Kompany, Silva, Godin, Bonucci. Are any of these guys in the same league as Baresi, Nesta, Cannavaro, Maldini, or even other CDs from bygone eras such as Ayala, Vidic, and Puyol?
Last edited by wiseone on Tue Aug 30, 2016 3:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kofi86
Egg
Egg

Post by kofi86 »

wiseone wrote:This thread makes me think: has the standard of defending worldwide receded? In this day and age, people are paying nearly 50 million for "work in progress" CDs that are not even the finished article yet. Man City have three center-backs that cost a combined 130 million! (and none of them is the second coming of Baresi) Does the dearth of high quality defenders mean that clubs will pay crazy money for any half decent CD?

The elite defenders today are guys like Pique, Kompany, Silva, Godin, Bonucci. Are any of these guys in the same league as Baresi, Nesta, Cannavaro, Maldini, or even other CDs from bygone eras such as Ayala, Vidic, and Puyol?
:oops:
"If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!"
FATHER TIKO
Egg
Egg

Post by FATHER TIKO »

wiseone wrote:This thread makes me think: has the standard of defending worldwide receded? In this day and age, people are paying nearly 50 million for "work in progress" CDs that are not even the finished article yet. Man City have three center-backs that cost a combined 130 million! (and none of them is the second coming of Baresi) Does the dearth of high quality defenders mean that clubs will pay crazy money for any half decent CD?

Bro, I was a participant in a bar-room debate on this topic:

One notion says its a perception issue: in our collective consciousness, outstanding strikers & outstanding CD's seldom co-exist in the same era simply because the acceptance of one automatically implies the non-acceptance of the other.

That is why there is a notion that today's CD's aren't as bad as we're made to believe. So why shouldn't they be a part of the money-ball syndrome in football today? (Sterling, Martial, etc were strikers "over-sold" even though they were still "work-in-progress"...)

Another notion theorizes that these things go in cycles:
CD's today do not necessarily have to be in the class of the Baresi's, Costacurta's, Nesta's for the logical reason that comparable quality cannot exist in every era.
Between the era of Beckenbauer/Moore & the era of Gentile/Cerezo/Klaus Fischer there was a "dearth of outstanding CD's "
Seems we're today passing through another "drought of quality CD's" after the era of Cannavaro/Nesta/Lucio/Puyol etc.
- Bill Shankly
marko
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by marko »

Look Bailly will make mistakes, all defenders do, City will be a tough game, i think everyone will raise their game, last season, we could not win these matches against the likes of Hull, Southampton, things have certainly changed in the set up, now we have 2 central midfielders protecting our back line
So angry Nigeria got kicked out of the world cup once again, i nearly told my wife that i caught my girlfriend with another man today!

Marko
danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by danfo driver »

kofi86 wrote:

:oops:
:rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:
"it is better to be excited now and disappointed later, than it is to be disappointed now and later." - Marcus Aurelius, 178AD
metalalloy wrote: Does the SE have Gray, Mahrez or Albrighton on our team or players of their caliber?
Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle
Re: Manchester United - News, Developments & Season

Post by Bigpokey24 »

https://www.yahoo.com/news/m/4f772531-7 ... ar%2C.html

so united is trying to unsettle Bale? hmmmmm
SuperEagles

© Bigpokey24, most loved on CE
My post are with no warranties and confers zero rights. Get out your feelings
It is not authorized by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use.
All rights aren't reserved
wiseone
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by wiseone »

Andreas Pereira has gone on loan to Granada (La Liga) in Spain for the rest of the season. He joins the other loan players:

Varela (Eintracht Frankfurt)
James Wilson (Derby)
Januzaj (Sunderland)
Borthwick-Jackson (Wolves)

Will Keane (twin brother of Michael Keane) has joined Hull City on a permanent transfer for 1 million. LVG sold his twin brother Michael (England U21 defender) to Burnley for about 2 million earlier this year. 8 months later the EPL champs Leicester made a 17 million bid for him. Another excellent business decision by LVG/Man Utd
benteke
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by benteke »

wiseone wrote:Little tactical tweaks I noticed/liked:

1) As soon as Rashford scored that injury time winner against Hull, all the subs jumped up in wild celebration. Mike Smalling tried to do the same but Mourinho immediately pointed at him, stopped him from celebrating, and ordered him to get changed and ready to come on. Poor Mike did not get to celebrate with his teammates. :D

Great focus by Mourinho to control his emotions and concentrate on getting Mike Smalling on the pitch to close out the game (rather than getting carried away with the celebrations).

2) Have you noticed that when Man Utd kick-off this season, they use exactly the same pass/move/positioning pattern: Fellaini and Zlatan (the big guys) move to the right hand side of the pitch (almost like right wingers). From the kick-off Man Utd roll the ball back to Blind who immediately fires a long crossfield diagonal pass towards the right wing area where Fellaini and Zlatan are positioned. It must be orders from Jose. Good way to immediately get the ball/team deep into the opposition half straight from kick off.
Is this not the same long-pass trick that LVG got slated for :biggrin:
kajifu
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by kajifu »

@Benteke how are you looking at the Manchester Derby coming up?Pep vs Jose ?
benteke
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by benteke »

kajifu wrote:@Benteke how are you looking at the Manchester Derby coming up?Pep vs Jose ?
I honestly don't know, this one can go either way, these are 2 new managers who are new to their teams.

Such big games are unpredictable, even home advantage may not count

I will do with a 0-0 boring draw, i hope Mourinho parks the bus to the fullest
wiseone
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by wiseone »

Also depends on if Fellaini (injury) and Aguero (potential ban) play.
benteke wrote:
kajifu wrote:@Benteke how are you looking at the Manchester Derby coming up?Pep vs Jose ?
I honestly don't know, this one can go either way, these are 2 new managers who are new to their teams.

danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by danfo driver »

wiseone wrote:Also depends on if Fellaini (injury) and Aguero (potential ban) play.
benteke wrote:

:rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:

Both will have absolutely no bearing on the outcome, eitherway. From a tactical perspective, 0!

Fellaini is employed not because of his tactical superiority over carrick or schneiderlin, but based on his "form" and his "height."

Aguero's movement will be replaced by Nolito, whom I expect Guardiola will use, instead of Iheanacho.
"it is better to be excited now and disappointed later, than it is to be disappointed now and later." - Marcus Aurelius, 178AD
metalalloy wrote: Does the SE have Gray, Mahrez or Albrighton on our team or players of their caliber?
kajifu
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by kajifu »

danfo driver wrote:
wiseone wrote:Also depends on if Fellaini (injury) and Aguero (potential ban) play.
benteke wrote:

:rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:

Both will have absolutely no bearing on the outcome, eitherway. From a tactical perspective, 0!

Fellaini is employed not because of his tactical superiority over carrick or schneiderlin, but based on his "form" and his "height."

Aguero's movement will be replaced by Nolito, whom I expect Guardiola will use, instead of Iheanacho.
So what are the likely result in the outcome on your prediction?