Manchester United - News, Developments & Season

Discuss World Football here. Continental football, International Leagues, and players.
wiseone
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: Manchester United - News, Developments & Season

Post by wiseone »

Confirmed that Aguero is suspended for the Derby: http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/37260489
benteke
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by benteke »

So what legacy did Van Gaal leave at Manchester United.

In my opinion he left Man Utd in a better position long term than when he found the club under Moyes mess.
Of course he made a lot of mistakes but, he also had many positives
wiseone
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by wiseone »

LVG's legacy:

POSITIVES:

1) winning the FA Cup; Man Utd's first trophy since Ferguson left. Strange that no one ever seems to remember this or give LVG credit for winning a trophy.

2) Introducing promising young players into the team (Lingard, Rashford, Fosu-Mensah, Borthwick-Jackson).

3) Getting rid of some deadwood/players who were not doing much in the team other than blocking the progress of youngsters (Anderson, Cleverley, Evans, Ferdinand).

4) Improving some players like Smalling, Young, and Fellaini.

5) Tightening the defence, and leading them to have the best defensive record in the EPL - even though he had 17 players injured simultaneously (most of whom were defenders), and having to play his fourth choice RB, fourth choice LB, and Carrick and Fellaini at CD.

6) This:

NEGATIVES

1) Haphazard transfer policy:
*selling too many senior players (Di Maria, Welbeck, Nani, Rafael, Fletcher, Zaha, Kagawa) and leaving the team light on numbers in the midst of 4 competitions and an injury crisis.
*Selling too many strikers and leaving Rooney and Fellaini as the only center-forward options for Man Utd.
*Selling all the players in the team who had speed/flair (Nani, Di Maria, Zaha, Welbeck), then complaining that the team lacked speed.
*Selling good players and 'replacing' them with players who were worse, no better, and/or broken down (Di Maria/Depay, Fletcher/Schweinsteiger, Welbeck/Falcao, Rafael/Darmian, Evra/Rojo)

2) Stifling the team into fear with his convoluted 'philosophy', ripping the joy out of the team's play, being too defensive.

3) Giving the team a soft spine by not bringing in tough physical players who are up for a fight.

4) Poor man management: ostracising and falling out with experienced players that the team needed at key moments (Di Maria, Valdes, De Gea). The games where Romero played in goal while three better GKs (De Gea, Valdes, Lindegaard) sat in the stands watching in suits were shameful: http://static.independent.co.uk/s3fs-pu ... eepers.jpg

5) Tactical merry go round. Changing formation and tactics constantly with no visible improvement in performance.
benteke wrote:So what legacy did Van Gaal leave at Manchester United.

In my opinion he left Man Utd in a better position long term than when he found the club under Moyes mess.
Of course he made a lot of mistakes but, he also had many positives
Last edited by wiseone on Mon Sep 05, 2016 10:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
marko
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by marko »

the difference between LVG and Mourinho was the last game, LVG would only get a draw
So angry Nigeria got kicked out of the world cup once again, i nearly told my wife that i caught my girlfriend with another man today!

Marko
tfco
Eagle
Eagle
Re: Man Utd about to shell 40 million for Bailly

Post by tfco »

:clap: :clap: :clap:

1st big game.

he did well.

top top player

AFCON 2024 L-O-S-E-R-S

They did not CEDIS coming
Naira Did We :rotf: :rotf:

YUJAM
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by YUJAM »

He couldn't cope with Pep's tactics in the first half. He was made to suffer by Debruyne and Kele positioning
Ghana's First President Kwame Nkrumah said: "We face neither East nor West; we face Forward"
tfco
Eagle
Eagle

Post by tfco »

YUJAM wrote:He couldn't cope with Pep's tactics in the first half. He was made to suffer by Debruyne and Kele positioning
and in the 2H he was very very good

you guys (you, txj and ChICken) and your hatred of African stars...smh

AFCON 2024 L-O-S-E-R-S

benteke
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by benteke »

tfco wrote::clap: :clap: :clap:

1st big game.

he did well.

top top player

Good player.

On the big games I think Smalling is a better partner for him, actually i think that should be the long term partnership.
cchinukw
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by cchinukw »

Eaglezbeak wrote:
:rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:
MAGA - Make Arsenal Great Again.

Mind that father made collection of Scifi and fantasy stories
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Mind-That-Father-Made/dp/1907652051
wiseone
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by wiseone »

I think that was the plan. Then Smalling got suspended and Blind started playing so well he became undropppable.
benteke wrote:
tfco wrote::clap: :clap: :clap:

1st big game.

he did well.

top top player

Good player.

On the big games I think Smalling is a better partner for him, actually i think that should be the long term partnership.
tfco
Eagle
Eagle

Post by tfco »

i do not like Blind..but he does his job

i just underrate him.

but as for Our Eric....he is a baller

AFCON 2024 L-O-S-E-R-S

rasak74
Egg
Egg

Post by rasak74 »

txj wrote:
YUJAM wrote:
FATHER TIKO wrote:
YUJAM wrote:Chief. Bailly faced better players in La Liga. But that said I think Man U's defense in general may be exposed against City.
Agreed, against the likes of Suarez, Benzema, Neymar, CR7, Gameiro, Greizman, Torres, and the peerless Messi...
And how exactly did Bailly fare?

That is precisely my point, because Sanchez, Hazard, Aguero, Costa, even a fit Sturridge, or Kane; aren't that far behind those La Liga stars...
That's when to truly assess Bailly...
He had a hard time his first season at Espanyol but midway into his second season, he was holding his own.

But I agree with you that the Man U defense overall will likley suffer against City
That's not quite true :biggrin: :biggrin:

But I'm quite happy for brother Bailly that so many are rooting for him, on and off the pitch...Hoping they'll be there when the rough times set in...
:bump: :bump: :bump: :bump: :bump: :bump: :bump: :bump: :bump: :bump: :bump: We are still here
Internet gangster
Uses the internet as a front for acting like a tough guy gang member, usually because they are hoping to gain the respect that they lack in their real life. Don't be fooled........This person is a sham. This person is not actually an attack dog, they are a timid house cat.
Troll
One who deliberately starts an argument in a manner which attacks others on a forum without in any way listening to the arguments proposed by his or her peers.
tfco
Eagle
Eagle

Post by tfco »

rasak74 wrote:
txj wrote:
YUJAM wrote:
FATHER TIKO wrote:
YUJAM wrote:Chief. Bailly faced better players in La Liga. But that said I think Man U's defense in general may be exposed against City.
Agreed, against the likes of Suarez, Benzema, Neymar, CR7, Gameiro, Greizman, Torres, and the peerless Messi...
And how exactly did Bailly fare?

That is precisely my point, because Sanchez, Hazard, Aguero, Costa, even a fit Sturridge, or Kane; aren't that far behind those La Liga stars...
That's when to truly assess Bailly...
He had a hard time his first season at Espanyol but midway into his second season, he was holding his own.

But I agree with you that the Man U defense overall will likley suffer against City
That's not quite true :biggrin: :biggrin:

But I'm quite happy for brother Bailly that so many are rooting for him, on and off the pitch...Hoping they'll be there when the rough times set in...
:bump: :bump: :bump: :bump: :bump: :bump: :bump: :bump: :bump: :bump: :bump: We are still here
:rotf: :rotf: :rotf:

Africans and our PHD syndrome...i have never understood it

AFCON 2024 L-O-S-E-R-S

txj
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by txj »

tfco wrote:Africans and our PHD syndrome...i have never understood it

I have never understood why Africans are so sensitive to criticism. When you criticize an African it is because:

- you are against him and you want to PHD
- against his tribe
- against his family
- you never see anything good in anyone
- who are you and what are you
- afterall, what have u done yourself?
- is he the only one?
Form is temporary; Class is Permanent!
Liverpool, European Champions 2005.

We watched this very boring video, 500 times, of Sacchi doing defensive drills, using sticks and without the ball, with Maldini, Baresi and Albertini. We used to think before then that if the other players are better, you have to lose. After that we learned anything is possible – you can beat better teams by using tactics." Jurgen Klopp
wiseone
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by wiseone »

I have a feeling that very soon Jose will ask Smalling to appear at CD instead of Blind.
tfco wrote:i do not like Blind..but he does his job

i just underrate him.

benteke
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by benteke »

wiseone wrote:I have a feeling that very soon Jose will ask Smalling to appear at CD instead of Blind.

i just underrate him.

Maybe it's one of those games where we needed to score first and work them from there.
Anyway i think it's nice to have the option of Blind Smalling, and then also Jones and Fosu Mensah possibly for the future.

But I am sold on Bailly, good buy, exactly what we needed
txj
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by txj »

The irony, esp from watching today, is that the real stalwart in the United defence is Blind..The Ivorien has the WWF highlights and dominates the press clips.

Both positionally, awareness of movements and key pass delivery from defence, the Dutchman is the key player...

Today City simply passed around Bailly and he had little influence, save for the three last ditch tackles, all huge; one on Fernandinho and two on KDB, the 2nd coming at a time the Belgian was clearly gassed.

One thing Bailly has always had is recovery...I like the player; advocated for him when the ex-Ivorien coach was fooling around with Sekou Bamba...
Form is temporary; Class is Permanent!
Liverpool, European Champions 2005.

We watched this very boring video, 500 times, of Sacchi doing defensive drills, using sticks and without the ball, with Maldini, Baresi and Albertini. We used to think before then that if the other players are better, you have to lose. After that we learned anything is possible – you can beat better teams by using tactics." Jurgen Klopp
tfco
Eagle
Eagle

Post by tfco »

txj wrote:The irony, esp from watching today, is that the real stalwart in the United defence is Blind..The Ivorien has the WWF highlights and dominates the press clips.

Both positionally, awareness of movements and key pass delivery from defence, the Dutchman is the key player...

Today City simply passed around Bailly and he had little influence, save for the three last ditch tackles, all huge; one on Fernandinho and two on KDB, the 2nd coming at a time the Belgian was clearly gassed.

One thing Bailly has always had is recovery...I like the player; advocated for him when the ex-Ivorien coach was fooling around with Sekou Bamba...
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

AFCON 2024 L-O-S-E-R-S

wiseone
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by wiseone »

...and Tuanzebe in the youth team (Rojo even if the team has an LVG-esque injury crisis).
benteke wrote:
wiseone wrote:I have a feeling that very soon Jose will ask Smalling to appear at CD instead of Blind.

i just underrate him.

Maybe it's one of those games where we needed to score first and work them from there.
Anyway i think it's nice to have the option of Blind Smalling, and then also Jones and Fosu Mensah possibly for the future.

But I am sold on Bailly, good buy, exactly what we needed
danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by danfo driver »

txj wrote:
tfco wrote:Africans and our PHD syndrome...i have never understood it

I have never understood why Africans are so sensitive to criticism. When you criticize an African it is because:

- you are against him and you want to PHD
- against his tribe
- against his family
- you never see anything good in anyone
- who are you and what are you
- afterall, what have u done yourself?
- is he the only one?
I imagine this never applies to Americans? Europeans, South Americans? or Asians? The sad part of this is that your post actually proves how ignorant of a person you are. Not many people are well to do,so I cant expect you to have traveled around the world. But, many times, poor people still endeavor to educate themselves.
"it is better to be excited now and disappointed later, than it is to be disappointed now and later." - Marcus Aurelius, 178AD
metalalloy wrote: Does the SE have Gray, Mahrez or Albrighton on our team or players of their caliber?
danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by danfo driver »

Guys, any update on Samuel Umtiti @ Barcelona? we were told "Our" Eric will be a benchwarmer and sent on loan, while Samuel Umpity Dumpity will be dominating in Mess Ke Un Club.

Is anyone ever going to update us on Samuel Umpity Dumpity? :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:
Last edited by danfo driver on Wed Feb 15, 2017 7:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"it is better to be excited now and disappointed later, than it is to be disappointed now and later." - Marcus Aurelius, 178AD
metalalloy wrote: Does the SE have Gray, Mahrez or Albrighton on our team or players of their caliber?
Waffiman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Waffiman »

txj wrote:The irony, esp from watching today, is that the real stalwart in the United defence is Blind..The Ivorien has the WWF highlights and dominates the press clips.

Spot on.
Besides, Bailly was at fault for the goal. He lost the key header to our Kelechi. But he will learn like all foreign CBs do with those long balls.
Arsène Wenger at Arsenal, 1996 to 2018. I was there.
Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle

Post by Bigpokey24 »

^ and Blind gave an elephant offiside trap to let our kelechi score the rebound . When i say people like txj no sabi ball una go say i dey disturb assnal CE spammers
SuperEagles

© Bigpokey24, most loved on CE
My post are with no warranties and confers zero rights. Get out your feelings
It is not authorized by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use.
All rights aren't reserved