Pogba is overrated

Discuss World Football here. Continental football, International Leagues, and players.
wiseone
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: Pogba is overrated

Post by wiseone »

For 90 million a club should expect to get a once in a lifetime player like Messi or Ronaldo who can score 50 goals a season. Or a game changing player like Neymar, Suarez, or Bale.

Pogba is good but he is none of the above. I do not think the club actually needed him. I have said before that they needed a Kante more than they needed a Pogba. Also Pogba excelled at Juve where he had cerebal players beside him to play cute passes and control the game. So far at Man Utd he has played alongside Fellaini. Pogba would perform a lot better if Carrick played.

That said there was no need to spend 90 million on him. Man Utd could have significantly upgraded the team by spending that money on a combination of Kante and Aubameyang.
YemiBrazil
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by YemiBrazil »

benteke wrote:When times are hard friends are few.

When Pogba was at Juventus people were gushing at a how Ferguson made his biggest mistake to let such a talent go.

Now people talk of Pogba as if he is some championship journeyman.

He will prove critics wrong
KPOM most of those complaining about and ridiculing Pogba are not Man United fans. They are just happy to stick another one in as the going remains tough for United. United fans generally are very patient. They know the history of the club and firmly believe that when things eventually click it's on again. Pogba will come good and boss the midfield for United like a real general for years to come. Again, there is no problem with Pogba and all the talk about his cost - it is Mourinho that needs to get ruthless and think 'team first' then the results will come. If he fails at United where he has absolute power then he is done.
*** Every child is A STAR! ***

Only Mister Johnson https://www.amazon.com/Only-Mister-Johnson-Okey-Chigbo/dp/B09DMW3RM9
----------------------------------------------------------------
"A revolution in a personal context, is a turn around of a predominant way of thinking or doing things TO BETTER YOURSELF and effectively BETTER YOUR NATION!!!"
* Progressive Federalism * Personal Revolution * Industrialization *
wiseone
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by wiseone »

There is truth in both strands. Man Utd made a huge mistake by letting him leave. At the same time, paying 90 million for one player (not called Ronaldo or Messi) is madness. If they wanted to spend crazy money like that on a former player I'd have preferred for them to spend it on Ronaldo. At least he will guarantee 30+ goals a season for the next 2-3 seasons.
YemiBrazil wrote:

When Pogba was at Juventus people were gushing at a how Ferguson made his biggest mistake to let such a talent go.

KPOM most of those complaining about and ridiculing Pogba are not Man United fans. They are just happy to stick another one in as the going remains tough for United. United fans generally are very patient. They know the history of the club and firmly believe that when things eventually click it's on again. Pogba will come good and boss the midfield for United like a real general for years to come. Again, there is no problem with Pogba and all the talk about his cost - it is Mourinho that needs to get ruthless and think 'team first' then the results will come. If he fails at United where he has absolute power then he is done.
Comrade Machel
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Comrade Machel »

:rotf: :rotf: :rotf:
You want me get called into managers office for bursting out laughing unceremoniously :lol: :lol:
Ratlala :thumbs: :D

https://youtu.be/8CZLsYase0Q
cic old boy
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by cic old boy »

wiseone wrote:There is truth in both strands. Man Utd made a huge mistake by letting him leave. At the same time, paying 90 million for one player (not called Ronaldo or Messi) is madness. If they wanted to spend crazy money like that on a former player I'd have preferred for them to spend it on Ronaldo. At least he will guarantee 30+ goals a season for the next 2-3 seasons.
Fake Ron would not get you 30 goals unless you build an adequate support network. The majority of his goals these days are from close range and finishing off moves.
http://www.naijiant.com/
wiseone
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by wiseone »

Apart from Messi, Ronaldo, and Neymar - are there any players that you think are worth 90 million?
cic old boy wrote: Fake Ron would not get you 30 goals unless you build an adequate support network. The majority of his goals these days are from close range and finishing off moves.
cic old boy
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by cic old boy »

wiseone wrote:Apart from Messi, Ronaldo, and Neymar - are there any players that you think are worth 90 million?
I don't think anyone is worth that amount.
wiseone
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by wiseone »

I agree. Only the best player in the world should be bought for that kind of money.
Extraordinary that Man Utd paid that much for Pogba when players like Goetze went for 25 million and De Bruyne for 50 million. Is Pogba 3.5x the player Goetze is or almost twice as good as De Bruyne?
cic old boy wrote:
wiseone wrote:Apart from Messi, Ronaldo, and Neymar - are there any players that you think are worth 90 million?
I don't think anyone is worth that amount.
oloye
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by oloye »

YemiBrazil wrote:

It is always hard to accept that a man made a mistake,but they do eventually. Pogba is not the problem, it is the money spent stupidly. He ain't worth 100milla....no player beside Messi, Neymar is worth anything close. A younger Ronaldo maybe, he would score goals and ManU won't be struggling against the likes of Watford.

Ever since you club CEO went to town shouting money is not our problem,they have been spending recklessly buying overpriced goods. Fellaini, Martial, how much did you guys fork out for Bastien again? I dont want to mention the bizzare transaction surrounding Dimaria...the adage penny wise pound foolish seems to resonate with ManU.
"There is big pressure at this club as you cannot be like the manager at Arsenal and ask for five years to try and to win one trophy" - Jose Mourinho

.... I believe in God. I try to be a good man so He can have a bit of time to give me a hand when I need it - Jose Mourinho
YemiBrazil
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by YemiBrazil »

oloye wrote:
YemiBrazil wrote:

It is always hard to accept that a man made a mistake,but they do eventually. Pogba is not the problem, it is the money spent stupidly. He ain't worth 100milla....no player beside Messi, Neymar is worth anything close. A younger Ronaldo maybe, he would score goals and ManU won't be struggling against the likes of Watford.

Ever since you club CEO went to town shouting money is not our problem,they have been spending recklessly buying overpriced goods. Fellaini, Martial, how much did you guys fork out for Bastien again? I dont want to mention the bizzare transaction surrounding Dimaria...the adage penny wise pound foolish seems to resonate with ManU.
:lol: :lol: You are in a hurry. Pogba is just a few weeks into his contract. That's the difference between you and Manchester United. The only wisdom and adage is in their financial statement and whenever they need help I'm sure they know how to reach experienced financial planners like you.

Only Mister Johnson https://www.amazon.com/Only-Mister-Johnson-Okey-Chigbo/dp/B09DMW3RM9
"A revolution in a personal context, is a turn around of a predominant way of thinking or doing things TO BETTER YOURSELF and effectively BETTER YOUR NATION!!!"
oloye
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by oloye »

YemiBrazil wrote:
oloye wrote:
YemiBrazil wrote:

:lol: :lol: You are in a hurry. Pogba is just a few weeks into his contract. That's the difference between you and Manchester United. The only wisdom and adage is in their financial statement and whenever they need help I'm sure they know how to reach experienced financial planners like you.
They don't need me,it is not about me or you, I dont know why you guys cannot have a simple conversation without making it personal or throw some cheap childish jibes when your club is criticised...i need to begin to watch the folks I trade banter with on this site from now on.
"There is big pressure at this club as you cannot be like the manager at Arsenal and ask for five years to try and to win one trophy" - Jose Mourinho

.... I believe in God. I try to be a good man so He can have a bit of time to give me a hand when I need it - Jose Mourinho
benteke
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by benteke »

oloye wrote:
YemiBrazil wrote:

The thing i think we all kind of accepted that the 89million is just a price that the club was willing to pay, and that was all planned by the financial gurus of the club.

Now most of what is going on now is mostly social media banter/trolling etc.

But on Pogba the player, and honest discussion would be on how it's only few games into the season in a new team that is not functioning well yet, considering that Pogba himself didn't have much of a preseason to get into good shape.
Still a long way to go and hopefully the manager can utilize him well and maximize his talents that are now suddenly in huge doubt.
andyk1012
Egg
Egg

Post by andyk1012 »

YemiBrazil wrote:
oloye wrote:
YemiBrazil wrote:

Very childish stuff coming from you. It's a forum for God's sake.. go check out the meaning of forum. Making it personal demeans the reason we are all here.
The last thing an enemy would want to see is a couple of million pissed
off old farts with attitudes and automatic weapons who know that their
best years are already behind them.
oloye
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by oloye »

benteke wrote:
oloye wrote:
YemiBrazil wrote:

The thing i think we all kind of accepted that the 89million is just a price that the club was willing to pay, and that was all planned by the financial gurus of the club.

But on Pogba the player, and honest discussion would be on how it's only few games into the season in a new team that is not functioning well yet, considering that Pogba himself didn't have much of a preseason to get into good shape.
Still a long way to go and hopefully the manager can utilize him well and maximize his talents that are now suddenly in huge doubt.
I appreciate that fact, Pogba is a good player but he is not worth that amount, they are two different things. The problem here is that this is going to hang on his neck like an albatross. That was why i asked in another thread or maybe this one...how should a 100milla play to meet expectations of fans and pundits? Just what is expected from a 100milla player?

When ManU bought Veron for what was a record signing his stay there was dogged by high expectation, he was deemed a failure regardless. Ditto Berbatov even though he was scoring goals...he was still seen as not living up to the billing.

I hope and pray the boy steps up, but it can become a nightmare trying to live up to an insane expectation.

cic old boy
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by cic old boy »

I have NEVER seen Pogba control/dominate a game in Italy, for France and now at Manure.
YemiBrazil
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by YemiBrazil »

oloye wrote:
YemiBrazil wrote:
oloye wrote:
YemiBrazil wrote:

They don't need me,it is not about me or you, I dont know why you guys cannot have a simple conversation without making it personal or throw some cheap childish jibes when your club is criticised...i need to begin to watch the folks I trade banter with on this site from now on.
Accept my apologies - that was not my intention.

YemiBrazil
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by YemiBrazil »

oloye wrote:
benteke wrote:
oloye wrote:
YemiBrazil wrote:

I appreciate that fact, Pogba is a good player but he is not worth that amount, they are two different things. The problem here is that this is going to hang on his neck like an albatross. That was why i asked in another thread or maybe this one...how should a 100milla play to meet expectations of fans and pundits? Just what is expected from a 100milla player?

When ManU bought Veron for what was a record signing his stay there was dogged by high expectation, he was deemed a failure regardless. Ditto Berbatov even though he was scoring goals...he was still seen as not living up to the billing.

I hope and pray the boy steps up, but it can become a nightmare trying to live up to an insane expectation.
I don't think any player is worth $100m either but I don't have any financial data to back this up. The market determines the cost and the value of footballers is not solely about what they do on match day. Man United decided they needed Pogba and Juve were not ready to sell. Other clubs signified interest, United's biggest sponsors at the moment, Adidas, were interested. They also own Pogba's biggest endorsement. There could be many more financial considerations and interests involved. United is one of the biggest businesses in the world. This is not about whatever Woodward says. They are not getting any player currently on contract without a reasonable release clause cheaply.
I agree that a lot of people will hang the burden of the cost on Pogba but that is not his business. That is a deal between United and Juve. So far in terms of performance, he has not done much but it's still early days and I don't think the club is complaining. That's my point - minus my usual yabbis... :lol:

*On Veron and Berbatov, the complaints were not about money/cost. Veron, like Kleberson and Forlan, were not seen as good fits for the team but were supported. United fans are largely known for that. Same situation with Berba added to the fact that the fans preferred Tevez.
Also, just to butress my point, United fans generally don't even think about the cost when it comes to Anthony Martial. This is more of a media and non-United fans which is understandable.

cic old boy
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by cic old boy »

:bump:
Another white man who allegedly doesn't like a black man being a megabucks superstar.
Oct 29, 2016 11:48:07

Johnny Giles, a 1963 FA Cup winner with the club, claims the world-record signing is not the "complete" player and is merely adding to Jose Mourinho's woes

Johnny Giles says Paul Pogba is not "the complete midfield player" and is posing more problems to Manchester United than he solves.

The 1963 FA Cup winner with the club has been massively disappointed by the Red Devils’ big-money summer signing, with the Frenchman yet to convince that he is capable of dominating on a Premier League stage.

He believes the handling of Pogba and fitting him into the system is causing Jose Mourinho a bigger headache than his dropping of Wayne Rooney, while adding his inability to drag consistent performances out of Zlatan Ibrahimovic is also cause for concern.

Giles told Newstalk: "I don't think Jose Mourinho is convinced about anything that he's doing at Manchester United.

"You've got the Rooney problem, you've got the Pogba problem, you've got the Ibrahimovic problem.

"I think Rooney has taken all the publicity on what's wrong but the big glaring thing that's wrong is Pogba.

Pogba misses Juve and Juve miss Pogba

“Pogba was bought as the complete midfield player. Mourinho said he's the complete midfield player, he can control the game, he can do this, he can do that.

"He can't. He's a big problem."

The Frenchman will nevertheless get another opportunity to prove his worth during Saturday’s home date with Burnley after recently offering glimpses of what he is capable of at Old Trafford.
http://www.goal.com/en/news/1862/premie ... ig-problem
Vincent.
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Vincent. »

I don't understand why people are expressing frustration that Pogba is not performing miracles. He is the same player he was last year when he cost only EUR 80 million. Just because someone decided to pay EUR 100 million a year later does not mean that his ability has improved by a corresponding margin.

Just last summer, some clubs were unwilling to pay EUR 80 million for him. This summer, some clubs were unwilling to pay EUR 100 million, but Man United was willing to pay. Juve stated their asking price, Man United was willing to pay because they could afford to pay. Deal done. Nothing to do with Pogba. People should leave the boy alone.
Eto’o, Ronaldinho, Deco, and Messi are like good caviar, tender pine-nuts, chemical-free sea salt, and the purest of virgin olive oils, said one of the world's greatest chefs, Ferran Adria of El Bulli restaurant, Before Barca went on to wallop Madrid 3-0 at the Bernabeu.

“I believe the target of anything in life should be to do it so well that it becomes an art. Football is like that. When I watch Barcelona, it is art” — Arsène Wenger, August 2009
cic old boy
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by cic old boy »

Vincent. wrote:I don't understand why people are expressing frustration that Pogba is not performing miracles. He is the same player he was last year when he cost only EUR 80 million. Just because someone decided to pay EUR 100 million a year later does not mean that his ability has improved by a corresponding margin.

Just last summer, some clubs were unwilling to pay EUR 80 million for him. This summer, some clubs were unwilling to pay EUR 100 million, but Man United was willing to pay. Juve stated their asking price, Man United was willing to pay because they could afford to pay. Deal done. Nothing to do with Pogba. People should leave the boy alone.
The price tag attracts attention and he's not justifying it.
Chimex101
Egg
Egg

Post by Chimex101 »

cic old boy wrote:
Vincent. wrote:I don't understand why people are expressing frustration that Pogba is not performing miracles. He is the same player he was last year when he cost only EUR 80 million. Just because someone decided to pay EUR 100 million a year later does not mean that his ability has improved by a corresponding margin.

KPOM
Vincent.
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Vincent. »

cic old boy wrote:

I understand, but the complaint about the price tag should be directed to the Juventus or Man United money men. :)
Eto’o, Ronaldinho, Deco, and Messi are like good caviar, tender pine-nuts, chemical-free sea salt, and the purest of virgin olive oils, said one of the world's greatest chefs, Ferran Adria of El Bulli restaurant, Before Barca went on to wallop Madrid 3-0 at the Bernabeu.

“I believe the target of anything in life should be to do it so well that it becomes an art. Football is like that. When I watch Barcelona, it is art” — Arsène Wenger, August 2009
bret- hart
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by bret- hart »

CEs in denial. I am not surprised Pogba is flopping thus far. I called it a long time ago.
I AM THE EXCELLENCE OF EXECUTION- BRET THE "HITMAN" HART.

The Neo Nueves Hart foundation: R.Onyedika, M.Usor, Y.Sor, A.Adeleye, A.Okonkwo, N.Tella, A.Yusuf, E.Onyenezide, V.Lopez, O.Olusegun.