Messi is nothing but a club footballer

Discuss World Football here. Continental football, International Leagues, and players.
kajifu
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: Messi is nothing but a club footballer

Post by kajifu »

Bigpokey24 wrote:tfco you are very wicked , let this thread die nah :D
:rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: Make I go bring that Pedro thread sef.
FATHER TIKO
Egg
Egg

Post by FATHER TIKO »

This thread makes little or no sense.
Winning a trophy at national team level isn't the ultimate proof of being the top player of an era.

Johann Cryuff was undisputed king for several years post-Pele era; this thread diminishes a player.like Cryuff who won nothing with Netherlands...

Did greats like Puskas, Eusebio win anything at NT level? Despite playing in decent National Teams?
"...Some say football is not a matter of life and death;
I can assure you it's more important than that..."
- Bill Shankly
tfco
Eagle
Eagle

Post by tfco »

Bigpokey24 wrote:tfco you are very wicked , let this thread die nah :D
wetin I do.

you created a thread about a club legend.

i am updating it. If you no like, lock the thread.

AFCON 2024 L-O-S-E-R-S

They did not CEDIS coming
Naira Did We :rotf: :rotf:

Molue Conductor
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Molue Conductor »

FATHER TIKO wrote:This thread makes little or no sense.
Winning a trophy at national team level isn't the ultimate proof of being the top player of an era.

Johann Cryuff was undisputed king for several years post-Pele era; this thread diminishes a player.like Cryuff who won nothing with Netherlands...

Did greats like Puskas, Eusebio win anything at NT level? Despite playing in decent National Teams?
what did Weah win for Liberia to make him one of the African greats?
Eagle
Eagle

Post by tfco »

The Revolution and The Swede are conspiring against English teams

The Swede has just blanked Citeh for a hat-trick

AFCON 2024 L-O-S-E-R-S

tfco
Eagle
Eagle

Post by tfco »

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

as I said. Stoke. Pulis.

AFCON 2024 L-O-S-E-R-S

Man Ataye
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Man Ataye »

Molue Conductor wrote:

Kpom. I beg say no more. :clap:
The wars fought in the world are only a reflection of the wars fought within people....
ohsee
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by ohsee »

There is no doubt that Messi is an all time great. Just not the greatest of all time. And those who call him "the best footballer" should please stop. While it is difficult but not impossible to measure "greatness," it is impossible to measure "best footballer" across eras.
Al B Sure
Egg
Egg

Post by Al B Sure »

Messi is the best to have played the game. Pele and Maradoba are the closest to him.
ohsee
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by ohsee »

Coach wrote:He will go down as the greatest and rightly so. People will come and talk about that irrelevant from the 70s who claims to have scored 1000 goals in the era of no-offside. Pele was the 70s, today he's a door to door salesman slinging Sildenafil to keep the rent as well as the willy up. Yes, he won world cups, with perhaps the most complete national team that has ever and will ever play the game. Brazil of the 70's would be untouchable today...what was that Rafa? Fact! Messi is above and beyond all else in this era and any to come. Sadly, he was born on the wrong side of the grey-scale and so, many a man will cry foul. In time all will realise just how fortunate we were to watch a legend in our time. The greatest.
:rotf: :rotf: :rotf:
Comedy of the highest order, though perhaps unintentional.

"The era of no-offside." :lol: Pele just stood by the net and tapped the ball in. :lol:

"...with perhaps the most complete national team that has ever and will ever play the game." :lol:
With Felix, the lousiest goalkeeper ever to win a World Cup? :lol: In that defense of capt Carlos Alberto, Brito, Wilson Piazza and Everaldo, none should be classified as a defender. People speculated that they were attacking players forced to play defense. :lol:

My man Coachito, I realize you said this in that prehistoric time 2012, and you have since updated your understanding and knowledge of the history of football: 4-3-3 and 4-4-2 and "parking the bus" all existed in Pele's time. And offside too. What did not exist is protection for skilled forwards by referees. It was called "a man's game," then, there were no yellow or red cards, the tackling was brutal, two-legged studs-up tackles, and tackling from behind were all fully legal.

There are similarities between Pele's club football and Messi's. In Pele's day, Santos was believed to be the best clubside in the world, and they won trophies galore. Very much like Messi, Pele was an absolute monster with Santos, running riot in nearly every game, and terrorizing defenses almost every club game. Like Messi, Pele had two team mates who were superior ball players in their own right--Pepe, the Xavi of the team, and Coutinho the wizard dribbler and Iniesta of Santos. But the similarities end there. Barcelona was/is a much better team than Santos ever was, with more players of great quality overtime, and far superior tactics. Draw your own conclusions.
Last edited by ohsee on Sun Oct 23, 2016 9:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
ohsee
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by ohsee »

Al B Sure wrote:Messi is the best to have played the game. Pele and Maradoba are the closest to him.
How do you determine "best", especially when you cannot have them play on the same team and in the same league or era? "Best" is purely subjective, an unsupportable opinion, and you know what they say about opinions.

By the way, who is "Maradoba"?
Skylolo
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Skylolo »

Coach wrote:He will go down as the greatest and rightly so. People will come and talk about that irrelevant from the 70s who claims to have scored 1000 goals in the era of no-offside. Pele was the 70s, today he's a door to door salesman slinging Sildenafil to keep the rent as well as the willy up. Yes, he won world cups, with perhaps the most complete national team that has ever and will ever play the game. Brazil of the 70's would be untouchable today...what was that Rafa? Fact! Messi is above and beyond all else in this era and any to come. Sadly, he was born on the wrong side of the grey-scale and so, many a man will cry foul. In time all will realise just how fortunate we were to watch a legend in our time. The greatest.
Coach don talk am finish, nothing else to add.... :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:
To God be the glory
ohsee
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by ohsee »

Skylolo wrote:
Coach don talk am finish, nothing else to add.... :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:
Typical CE poster. Chose to support Coach's 2012 ignorance because it fits with his beliefs, while ignoring my refutation. :thumbs:
tfco
Eagle
Eagle

Post by tfco »

Ohsee, you try too hard.

The greatest player ever..summed up in this pic

AFCON 2024 L-O-S-E-R-S

ohsee
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by ohsee »

tfco wrote:Ohsee, you try too hard.

:rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:
Cristao II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Cristao II »

Good Point
"Will we next create false gods to rule over us? How proud have we become, and how blind."

Primary: Lenovo Y410p: i5-4200M | 2GB Nvidia GT755M | 16GB DDR3L | 1000GB SSD | N2230 | LG24MP76 - Windows 10 64-Bit
Secondary: Dell Inspirion 1545: Core2Duo | 4GB RAM | 320GB 5400RPM - Linux Mint Cinnamon
Tertiary: Lenovo Legion 5 Pro: Ryzen 7 5800H | 32GB DDR4 | 2000GB SSD | 8GB NVidia RTX3070 - Windows 11 Pro
HTC U11+ - Xiaomi Mi8
Skylolo
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Skylolo »

"I have played against Platini, Maradona, Cruyff and played with George Best — a lot of big names, but none of them has been able to do what Messi does. Two years ago I said that the best player I played against was Maradona and the best player I have played with was Bestie. But I can now say I have never seen a player as good as Messi. He’s in a league of his own." - Former Tottenham star Gerry Armstrong
"Diego [Maradona] filled us with emotions. But between the cracks, without doubt, Messi is better than Maradona." - Diego Simeone
"Who is the Best Player in the World? Leo Messi. Who is the Best Player Ever? Leo Messi." -Arsene Wenger
"Messi is better than Maradona; he is more complete, more consistent, more spectacular. He is reinventing the game – a mix of the real and the virtual." - Tostão
"In my entire life I have never seen a player of such quality and personality at such a young age, particularly wearing the ‘heavy’ shirt of one of the world’s great clubs... Before a game, you can plan for everything. But Messi can produce a move that no-one expects and change the game in an instant." - Fabio Capello
"Messi is the best player ever. And this is said by someone who has seen Maradona and Pele play." - AC Milan chief Adriano Galliani
"I like Messi a lot, he’s a great player. Technically, we’re practically at the same level." - Pele

The comments from old football men like Capello, Tostao, Wenger and Galliani is interesting......
To God be the glory
ohsee
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by ohsee »

Skylolo wrote:
"I have played against Platini, Maradona, Cruyff and played with George Best — a lot of big names, but none of them has been able to do what Messi does. Two years ago I said that the best player I played against was Maradona and the best player I have played with was Bestie. But I can now say I have never seen a player as good as Messi. He’s in a league of his own." - Former Tottenham star Gerry Armstrong
"Diego [Maradona] filled us with emotions. But between the cracks, without doubt, Messi is better than Maradona." - Diego Simeone
"Who is the Best Player in the World? Leo Messi. Who is the Best Player Ever? Leo Messi." -Arsene Wenger
"Messi is better than Maradona; he is more complete, more consistent, more spectacular. He is reinventing the game – a mix of the real and the virtual." - Tostão
"In my entire life I have never seen a player of such quality and personality at such a young age, particularly wearing the ‘heavy’ shirt of one of the world’s great clubs... Before a game, you can plan for everything. But Messi can produce a move that no-one expects and change the game in an instant." - Fabio Capello
"Messi is the best player ever. And this is said by someone who has seen Maradona and Pele play." - AC Milan chief Adriano Galliani
"I like Messi a lot, he’s a great player. Technically, we’re practically at the same level." - Pele

The comments from old football men like Capello, Tostao, Wenger and Galliani is interesting......
Of course. The old fallacy of appeal to false authority.

You have not answered the questions about Messi's failure to perform outside Barcelona? Why has he been such a miserable flop with his national team? Can you imagine that your best player went to the 2014 world cup and could only score against minnows like Nigeria, Iran and Bosnia? :lol: After the first round, he disappeared, and it was clear he was going to do nada vs the big teams. :lol:
peron33uk
Egg
Egg

Post by peron33uk »

Molue Conductor wrote:

Ah you read my mind. I was going to say the same thing
When someone tells me "God bless you", I ask the question, which God?

God - is just a title as there are many (All false).
I do not want to receive blessings from any other but from YHVH. The God of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob(Israel), He is my God.
peron33uk
Egg
Egg

Post by peron33uk »

Cristao II wrote:

Good Point
But then that Messi's barcelona wing should be very big, big enough for him to fly. Not like an angel but like helicopter because he has achieved way more than those other guys at club level.
When someone tells me "God bless you", I ask the question, which God?

God - is just a title as there are many (All false).
I do not want to receive blessings from any other but from YHVH. The God of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob(Israel), He is my God.
Skylolo
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Skylolo »

ohsee wrote:
Skylolo wrote:

Of course. The old fallacy of appeal to false authority.

You have not answered the questions about Messi's failure to perform outside Barcelona? Why has he been such a miserable flop with his national team? Can you imagine that your best player went to the 2014 world cup and could only score against minnows like Nigeria, Iran and Bosnia? :lol: After the first round, he disappeared, and it was clear he was going to do nada vs the big teams. :lol:
Soryy but I don't know where you get your history from... :roll:

Are we talking about the same player who, has won the WYC with Argentina, won the Olympics, played in 3 Copa America finals where I know 2 were lost on penalties, lost a World cup final and been the best player at the World cup playing for Argentina?

On top of all this he is the top scorer in Argentina's history with 56 goals 2 ahead of the devastating Batistuta, yet somewhere in the history you have created in your mind....he has failed to perform for Argentina?? Unbelievable! :blink: :blink:
To God be the glory
ohsee
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by ohsee »

peron33uk wrote:
Cristao II wrote:

Good Point
But then that Messi's barcelona wing should be very big, big enough for him to fly. Not like an angel but like helicopter because he has achieved way more than those other guys at club level.
Which other guys? Pele? :shock:
ohsee
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by ohsee »

Skylolo wrote: Soryy but I don't know where you get your history from... :roll:

Are we talking about the same player who, has won the WYC with Argentina, won the Olympics,
:D :D
Bomboy cups. :lol:
played in 3 Copa America finals where I know 2 were lost on penalties, lost a World cup final and been the best player at the World cup playing for Argentina?
Messi the nearly man is the best player of all time in your eyes? What did he do in those finals? Missed penalties, could not buy a goal to save his life, could not even set anybody up. :lol:
On top of all this he is the top scorer in Argentina's history with 56 goals 2 ahead of the devastating Batistuta, yet somewhere in the history you have created in your mind....he has failed to perform for Argentina?? Unbelievable! :blink: :blink:
Yada, yada, yada. Pele is also the top scorer in Brazil history. On top of that, Pele never saw a world cup final in which he did not score, and spectacularly too, despite tight marking. :thumbs: On top of that, he set people up left and right. :thumbs: Pele never saw a World Cup final in which he did not do his utmost to help the team win. What does Messi do in finals? Nada. :boo: Oh, sorry, he misses penalties. :lol: