The English press now comparing LC and Atleti

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

tfco
Eagle
Eagle
Re: The English press now comparing LC and Atleti

Post by tfco »

FATHER TIKO wrote:
kajifu wrote:@FATHER TIKO so if Leicester make the Cl final then you will say they play similar to Atleti?
Can you even bet that the same Atleti can make this year 2016/2017 CL final?
Atleti is a better team with good quality but they are similar team interms of style of play,Arsenal used to be compare with Barca is ball possession in England that does not mean Arsenal is same level with Barca interms of quality.Bayern under Pep is playing too much possession like his Barca and same now with City playing possession like Barca,it can be compare....
My bro, if Leicester makes the Champs League Final 2016/17, I'll happily eat humble-pie...that is not what is under discussion

But Leicester is one million miles away from Atleti...Atleti's playing style is way more intricate than Leicester's... how 'more' intricate
The gulf in quality is like the Grand Canyon...that is not what is under discussion

Arsenal & Barca is a plausible comparison...Comparing Leicester & Atleti is like comparing Swansea with Barca...

Mind you, I'm rooting for Leicester in this season's Champs League...I loooovee the under-dog!!that is not what is under discussion
you're shifting

AFCON 2024 L-O-S-E-R-S

They did not CEDIS coming
Naira Did We :rotf: :rotf:

YUJAM
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by YUJAM »

Ironic that those who claim not to watch La Liga and mock the Quality of its football are fighting hard to maintain the champions of their league are like Atleti Madrid. It would actually be funny if the comparison wasn't a load of bull manure. Atleti play a brand of football that no team in the EPL has so far been capable of playing. They play with swagger and verve and can pass the ball as well as the best of them. They can attack at will but they can also defend with great intelligence and strategy. They can choose their style depending on what Simeone feels is best. Leicester are a gritty defensive team that has a few skilled players but they certainly aren't no Atleti. Those who liken them to Atleti are just trying to improve their brand using a false comparison
Ghana's First President Kwame Nkrumah said: "We face neither East nor West; we face Forward"
jus2nang
Egg
Egg

Post by jus2nang »

Vincent. wrote:
tfco wrote:
Vincent. wrote:
benteke wrote:
benteke wrote:I have a sneaky feeling we will be bumping this thread up a lot during next season's Champions League campaign, like how we kept bumping up the thread where naysayers declared that Leicester is water that will find it's level in the EPL season :biggrin: :taunt:
First bump. 3-0 away :thumbs:

Is it too early to bump ? :mrgreen:
You do realize that the rules have been changed since these predictions were made? Leicester is not in the same situation that Manchester City was for three years, when it was unseeded and thus had at least two heavyweight teams in its group every year and had difficulty qualifying.

The rule change means that all league champions are automatically the top seeds in their groups, which also means that Leicester does not find itself in a group with European heavyweights.
Excuse #1
It is not an excuse. You may not like it, but it is a fact. When people make predictions, it is based on how the rules are constituted at that time of the prediction. The draw for this year's CL is based on the new rules: league champions are automatically seeded.

Even the rule changes still don't guarantee that Leicester will make it out of the group, but it is significantly easier than being grouped with Juventus, Sevilla, and Monchengladbach (which were in Man City's group last year when the EPL champions were not automatically top seeds).
But the new rules were known about since last season though. It's not as if UEFA just decided that this would happen in August, it was made public months ago.
Some people are simply useless in their current role, like the guy in my avatar...
benteke
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by benteke »

jus2nang wrote:
Vincent. wrote:
tfco wrote:
Vincent. wrote:
benteke wrote:
benteke wrote:I have a sneaky feeling we will be bumping this thread up a lot during next season's Champions League campaign, like how we kept bumping up the thread where naysayers declared that Leicester is water that will find it's level in the EPL season :biggrin: :taunt:

You do realize that the rules have been changed since these predictions were made? Leicester is not in the same situation that Manchester City was for three years, when it was unseeded and thus had at least two heavyweight teams in its group every year and had difficulty qualifying.

The rule change means that all league champions are automatically the top seeds in their groups, which also means that Leicester does not find itself in a group with European heavyweights.
Excuse #1
It is not an excuse. You may not like it, but it is a fact. When people make predictions, it is based on how the rules are constituted at that time of the prediction. The draw for this year's CL is based on the new rules: league champions are automatically seeded.

Even the rule changes still don't guarantee that Leicester will make it out of the group, but it is significantly easier than being grouped with Juventus, Sevilla, and Monchengladbach (which were in Man City's group last year when the EPL champions were not automatically top seeds).
But the new rules were known about since last season though. It's not as if UEFA just decided that this would happen in August, it was made public months ago.
Except another excuse for the original excuse #1 :biggrin:
tfco
Eagle
Eagle

Post by tfco »

YUJAM wrote:Ironic that those who claim not to watch La Liga and mock the Quality of its football are fighting hard to maintain the champions of their league are like Atleti Madrid. It would actually be funny if the comparison wasn't a load of bull manure. Atleti play a brand of football that no team in the EPL has so far been capable of playing. They play with swagger and verve and can pass the ball as well as the best of them. They can attack at will but they can also defend with great intelligence and strategy. They can choose their style depending on what Simeone feels is best. Leicester are a gritty defensive team that has a few skilled players but they certainly aren't no Atleti. Those who liken them to Atleti are just trying to improve their brand using a false comparison
:? :?

No disrespect, but you are daft. Here's why

1. Look at who created the thread. YOU
You started this thread in response to this quote which you do not agree with
Just like Leicester City,the speed and incision of Atlético’s sudden attacks was also striking and there was an early scare when Torres broke behind the Bayern defence and had his shot deflected onto the crossbar before the assistant referee’s offside flag had been noticed. Gabi twice also tested Manuel Neuer with powerful strikes from just outside Bayern’s penalty area

2. The highlighted is what got you bent out of shape. No one said LCFC and Atletico are on equal footing. The highlighted is what you (and others) have taken out of context.

AFCON 2024 L-O-S-E-R-S

YUJAM
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by YUJAM »

The problem with you is you are way too simple. You are wonderful at correcting tense and spelling errors but totally incapable of understanding nuance. So I am actually nonplussed at your comments

FWIW this is my response to that part of article
Truth is Atleti's counter style is far more sophisticated and varied than LC's. I love La Liga and have watched enough of LC this season to know that the comparison above is simply not valid
Obviously the thread took a life of its own and that meant folks reacted to that too.
tfco wrote:
YUJAM wrote:Ironic that those who claim not to watch La Liga and mock the Quality of its football are fighting hard to maintain the champions of their league are like Atleti Madrid. It would actually be funny if the comparison wasn't a load of bull manure. Atleti play a brand of football that no team in the EPL has so far been capable of playing. They play with swagger and verve and can pass the ball as well as the best of them. They can attack at will but they can also defend with great intelligence and strategy. They can choose their style depending on what Simeone feels is best. Leicester are a gritty defensive team that has a few skilled players but they certainly aren't no Atleti. Those who liken them to Atleti are just trying to improve their brand using a false comparison
:? :?

No disrespect, but you are daft. Here's why

1. Look at who created the thread. YOU
You started this thread in response to this quote which you do not agree with
Just like Leicester City,the speed and incision of Atlético’s sudden attacks was also striking and there was an early scare when Torres broke behind the Bayern defence and had his shot deflected onto the crossbar before the assistant referee’s offside flag had been noticed. Gabi twice also tested Manuel Neuer with powerful strikes from just outside Bayern’s penalty area

2. The highlighted is what got you bent out of shape. No one said LCFC and Atletico are on equal footing. The highlighted is what you (and others) have taken out of context.
Ghana's First President Kwame Nkrumah said: "We face neither East nor West; we face Forward"
benteke
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by benteke »

Aren't we starting to complicate things a bit to the of implying that some other teams play rocket science sophisticated football, all just to distance it from the EPL teams, i mean after all we are talking of teams coached by so called 'continental Europe' managers.
tfco
Eagle
Eagle

Post by tfco »

benteke wrote:Aren't we starting to complicate things a bit to the of implying that some other teams play rocket science sophisticated football, all just to distance it from the EPL teams, i mean after all we are talking of teams coached by so called 'continental Europe' managers.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

you must be new here.

this s.h.it has been going on for years.

AFCON 2024 L-O-S-E-R-S

Vincent.
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Vincent. »

jus2nang wrote:
Vincent. wrote:
tfco wrote:
Vincent. wrote:
benteke wrote:

Excuse #1

I have just checked, and I see that you are correct. However, I was not aware of the rule change until the draw for this year's Champions League was made. My assumption was that Leicester would face the same problems that Man City faced (not being seeded).

In addition, I remember a lot of people were still calculating the UEFA coefficients until the end of last season (June) because they (and I) were unaware that the rules would change (the top four teams in Spain, England, Italy, and Germany now qualify automatically for the group stage of the Champions League ).
Eto’o, Ronaldinho, Deco, and Messi are like good caviar, tender pine-nuts, chemical-free sea salt, and the purest of virgin olive oils, said one of the world's greatest chefs, Ferran Adria of El Bulli restaurant, Before Barca went on to wallop Madrid 3-0 at the Bernabeu.

“I believe the target of anything in life should be to do it so well that it becomes an art. Football is like that. When I watch Barcelona, it is art” — Arsène Wenger, August 2009
Vincent.
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Vincent. »

benteke wrote:
jus2nang wrote:
Vincent. wrote:
tfco wrote:
Vincent. wrote:
benteke wrote:

Excuse #1

Except another excuse for the original excuse #1 :biggrin:
I repeat: it was not an excuse. The rules have changed. I admit I was not aware that the rules were going to change.

At least, I have admitted not knowing the rules would change. Are you guys going to admit you did not know about the rule change when this debate began LAST YEAR or are you guys going to pretend that you knew all along? :)
Eto’o, Ronaldinho, Deco, and Messi are like good caviar, tender pine-nuts, chemical-free sea salt, and the purest of virgin olive oils, said one of the world's greatest chefs, Ferran Adria of El Bulli restaurant, Before Barca went on to wallop Madrid 3-0 at the Bernabeu.

“I believe the target of anything in life should be to do it so well that it becomes an art. Football is like that. When I watch Barcelona, it is art” — Arsène Wenger, August 2009
benteke
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by benteke »

Bump 1-0 top of their group :mrgreen:
kajifu
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by kajifu »

This Leicester can go far like A.Madrid in this competition
YUJAM
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by YUJAM »

Still doesn't make Leicester like Atleti. Anyway they'll get found out very soon.
benteke
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by benteke »

YUJAM wrote:Still doesn't make Leicester like Atleti. Anyway they'll get found out very soon.
We have never said they are exactly the same just a mild comparison of how they are going about their business with cheap squads and some similarities here and there.

But my Gosh, Atletico Madrid is an animal of a team.

I watched how they again handled Bayern Munich today damnit :laugh:
They were bit unlucky last season ?

Well organized team in Champions League, they do deserve a CL trophy under Simeone very soon.
benteke
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by benteke »

Bump

OptaJoe

3 - Leicester are only the 5th side in Champions League history to win each of their first three games in the competition.

5 - Teams to win first three CL games in competition

Milan (92/93)
Paris SG (94/95)
Juventus (95/96)
Malaga (12/13)
Leicester (16/17)
tfco
Eagle
Eagle

Post by tfco »

benteke wrote: 3 - Leicester are only the 5th side in Champions League history to win each of their first three games in the competition.
I'm on vacation but just wanted to nip in here and say they're not like Atleti

AFCON 2024 L-O-S-E-R-S

benteke
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by benteke »

Leicester through to last 16 with game to spare

Unfortunately not doing well in the league.

Hope they shock us in Champions League.
tfco
Eagle
Eagle

Post by tfco »

:rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:

too many posts to quote, so i will just open the floor

AFCON 2024 L-O-S-E-R-S

YUJAM
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by YUJAM »

You guys are desperate. Leicester City suck. As for Sevilla, if you miss pks like that, you will crash out if the tourney. Loss was more due to Sevilla's wastefulness than Leicester's talent.
The YeyeMan
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by The YeyeMan »

YUJAM wrote:You guys are desperate. Leicester City suck. As for Sevilla, if you miss pks like that, you will crash out if the tourney. Loss was more due to Sevilla's wastefulness than Leicester's talent.
Don't cry YUJAM. :D

Do you know when Sevilla last lost a European knockout game?

Tonight. :D
danfo driver quotes:
"Great! Now it begins." - Jan 25, 2024
-
Cellular quotes:
"The Yeyeman is hardly ever vulgar when dealing with anyone. " - Mar 23, 2018
"Thank God na oyibo be coach." - Nov 16, 2017
"I will take Trump over Clinton but I am in the minority." - Jul 19, 2016

© The YeyeMan 2024
This post is provided AS IS with no warranties and confers no rights.
It is not authorised by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use. All rights reserved.
truetalk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by truetalk »

YUJAM wrote:You guys are desperate. Leicester City suck. As for Sevilla, if you miss pks like that, you will crash out if the tourney. Loss was more due to Sevilla's wastefulness than Leicester's talent.
Are you sure?

Looks like it would have been a bloodbath if Vardy & Slimani took their chances.

I looked at both sides before kickoff and said Leicester was the better team save for the Central Defence.
kajifu
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by kajifu »

:clap: :clap: :clap:
tfco
Eagle
Eagle

Post by tfco »

AFCON 2024 L-O-S-E-R-S