UK plans to block illegal Kodi Football streams

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

benteke
Eaglet
Eaglet
UK plans to block illegal Kodi Football streams

Post by benteke »

How the UK plans to block illegal Kodi football streams

For the first time, restrictions will only be in effect while Premier League matches are being played.

Last week, at the High Court, the Football Association Premier League (FAPL) was granted stronger powers to crack down on the illegal streaming of English football matches. Instead of chasing websites hosting live players, the League can now block the servers that provide the live feeds, cutting off "Kodi boxes" -- a combination of legitimate media centre software with non-authorised third-party plugins -- and similar IPTV services. But how will it be enforced? Now that the order is publicly available, we can shed some light on how the FAPL intends to utilise its new powers.

It all starts with Mr Justice Arnold, who approved the FAPL's application to introduce the first ever "live" blocks with help from the six major UK broadband providers. BT, EE, PlusNet, Sky, TalkTalk and Virgin Media have been told that they must now block a list of IP addresses associated with "the Target Servers."

Before the ruling was handed down, the FAPL had engaged a third-party contractor (which isn't named) to monitor shady feeds using a "proprietary video fingerprinting technology." This generated a "large number" of servers (that sometimes switched IP addresses to evade tracking), which could then be shared with ISPs.

The second stage in the two-part process involves the FAPL's own three-part method for identifying infringing servers. However, the League -- with support from BT, EE, Sky and Virgin -- requested that the process remain confidential in order to stop the public from identifying ways to circumvent the restrictions. Five of the six providers positively supported the order, but TalkTalk didn't back the application. It also didn't oppose it, so an agreement was reached.

The ruling indicates why "Kodi boxes" in particular are being targeted: "The skill and effort required to find and use such devices and apps to access infringing content has fallen dramatically. Devices such as set-top boxes and media players are easy to connect to domestic televisions. Software to access suitable streams (in particular, software known as Kodi together with third-party add-ons) has become much easier to find and install. Indeed, it is increasingly easy to purchase set-top boxes and other devices which are already loaded with such software. Moreover, sources of infringing content often update automatically."

Over the past year, UK authorities have cracked down on sellers of "fully-loaded" Kodi boxes. People have built businesses around pre-loading media players like Amazon's Fire TV Stick with the necessary plugins to access illegal video streams. In fact, Justice Arnold specifically references Amazon's streaming dongle in the ruling. Kodi has moved to distance its free software from any potential illegal activity but the term "Kodi box" continues to propagate.

On March 18th, the order will come into effect. This delay gives providers some extra time to ready themselves. As you'd expect, a live server block works a little differently to restrictions placed on a typical website. For a start, blocks will only be in force when Premier League matches are being played. Judge Arnold states that technological advances in video fingerprinting can identify illegal streams in near real-time, allowing ISPs to be notified of new servers "nearly instantaneously."

Justice Arnold also noted that ISPs now have malleable blocking systems that can be automatically restrict access to IP addresses while a game is being played. The order will force providers to "re-set" their block list every week, allowing new servers to be added and old servers to be removed if they no longer serve infringing content.

To assess its effectiveness, the order will run until May 22nd, which is the final day of the Premier League season. All parties will then submit feedback, including any issues they faced, before the FAPL submits a new application for the 2017/18 season.

Although the Premier League is perhaps the biggest source of illegal streams, major bodies of other sports are watching the FAPL order very closely. The BBC, German/Spanish/Scottish football leagues, ECB, PGA European Tour, Professional Darts Corporation and Rugby Football Union all supported the order. Should it be a success, we could see one of these associations apply for their own server blocks.

Justice Arnold notes:

"FAPL contends that, taking into account the considerations outlined above, the Order is proportionate. It does not impair the rights of the Defendants to carry on business. To the limited extent that it interferes with the rights of internet users to impart or receive information, the interference is justified by a legitimate aim, namely preventing infringement of FAPL's copyrights on a large scale, and it is proportionate to that aim: it will be effective and dissuasive, no equally effective but less onerous measures are available to FAPL, it avoids creating barriers to legitimate trade, it is not unduly complicated or costly and it contains safeguards against misuse. I accept this contention."

The order is quite specific in its focus, no two IPTV services/plugins are the same. VPNs and proxy servers, plus a rise in peer-to-peer streaming, may help users circumvent the blocks, if only for a short time. The true test will come on Saturday, when Kodi plugin administrators will go head-to-head with the UK's biggest ISPs.

https://www.engadget.com/2017/03/15/uk- ... /#comments
benteke
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: UK plans to block illegal Kodi Football streams

Post by benteke »

Anybody using the Amazon fire stick, i see the justice mentioned it and the article says the crackdown starts this saturday

Rip off Britain at work
tfco
Eagle
Eagle

Post by tfco »

:curse: :curse:

they can fook right off

AFCON 2024 L-O-S-E-R-S

They did not CEDIS coming
Naira Did We :rotf: :rotf:

metalalloy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by metalalloy »

Lol. They will have to shut down Google then. Where do they think these streams come from?
We have been brainwashed by the Premier League that it's the best in the world. Nonsense. It's the best brand
Roy Keane: ITV 02/25/14

He says that we are currently "brainwashed" into believing that the Premier League is the best competition in the world, and that we are now a long way off dominating the Champions League again.
Gary Neville: Mirror: 12/23/14

I think Spain’s by far the best league.
Scholes. UK Guardian 9/6/16
balo
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by balo »

It hasn't been working well for 6 months anyways. As long as they don't block PlayStation Vue, we should be fine.
If Noah had been truly wise, he would have swatted those two flies. -- Helen Castle

http://i42.tinypic.com/210hk01.jpg
Comrade Machel
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Comrade Machel »

benteke wrote:Anybody using the Amazon fire stick, i see the justice mentioned it and the article says the crackdown starts this saturday

Rip off Britain at work
Anything to do with money trust the Brits to be on it :curse: I hope kodi and their people stay ahead of the game.

The problem is those people who help sustain the system by paying for all services. If everyone boycotted pay per view football and other paid services the hthing would bring prices down to a level manageable for the average Joe Blogs. Previously I subscribed to sky sports and then they sold some rights to BT forcing people to buy that service too. Bloody scandalous methinks. That's close to £70 a month tomwatch football. For those prices they should b forced to offer some free EPL and cl games on normal TV as way to give back to fans. Why is it that we can generally watch big rubby games free on TV and not football except useless FA games :curse:
Ratlala :thumbs: :D

https://youtu.be/8CZLsYase0Q
Robotnik
Egg
Egg

Post by Robotnik »

This is why you shouldn't ditch your cable tv
KIZONZO
Egg
Egg

Post by KIZONZO »

balo wrote:It hasn't been working well for 6 months anyways. As long as they don't block PlayStation Vue, we should be fine.

They can't block VUE because that's a legal stream. They can and are only going after illegal streams!
You never realize what you have till you lose it.
tfco
Eagle
Eagle

Post by tfco »

Robotnik wrote:This is why you shouldn't ditch your cable tv
funny.

signed,
napster, fbtz, stream, goatd, atdhe....+100's more

AFCON 2024 L-O-S-E-R-S

Robotnik
Egg
Egg

Post by Robotnik »

tfco wrote:
funny.

signed,
With pop-ups and virus..eww
balo
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by balo »

Robotnik wrote:
tfco wrote:
funny.

signed,
It is an indictment on cable companies. They need to stop forcing people to pay for channels they don't watch. They are the ones encouraging illegal streams.
If Noah had been truly wise, he would have swatted those two flies. -- Helen Castle

balo
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by balo »

KIZONZO wrote:
balo wrote:It hasn't been working well for 6 months anyways. As long as they don't block PlayStation Vue, we should be fine.

They can't block VUE because that's a legal stream. They can and are only going after illegal streams!

More of them will spring up to kick regular cable companies to the curb.

WWE Network, fubotv, SlingTV.

bushboy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by bushboy »

About time!!! I was starting to feel like a fool for still paying huge monthly cable bills. Now, I feel better.
Bushboy's bushmen : 1.Isaac Success 2. Terem Moffi 3. Victor Boniface 4. Samuel Omorodion. 5. Samson Tijani. 6. Rafiu Durosinmi.
Who will be next?
metalalloy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by metalalloy »

bushboy wrote:About time!!! I was starting to feel like a fool for still paying huge monthly cable bills. Now, I feel better.

See dis hater :rotf: they cant stop streams, you kill one 20 more pop up. I hear you though. Me sef, i have the full cable package bcos of my wife and kid, but still have my kodi box. People like me suppose get exemption :taunt: :taunt:
We have been brainwashed by the Premier League that it's the best in the world. Nonsense. It's the best brand

He says that we are currently "brainwashed" into believing that the Premier League is the best competition in the world, and that we are now a long way off dominating the Champions League again.

cchinukw
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by cchinukw »

Robotnik wrote:
tfco wrote:
funny.

signed,
You nor get malware cleaner? :sneaky:
MAGA - Make Arsenal Great Again.

Mind that father made collection of Scifi and fantasy stories
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Mind-That-Father-Made/dp/1907652051
tfco
Eagle
Eagle

Post by tfco »

cchinukw wrote:
Robotnik wrote:
tfco wrote:
funny.

signed,
You nor get malware cleaner? :sneaky:
no mind dem.

continue being gouged by the cable companies while making excuses FOR them..

AFCON 2024 L-O-S-E-R-S

tfco
Eagle
Eagle

Post by tfco »

bushboy wrote:About time!!! I was starting to feel like a fool for still paying huge monthly cable bills. Now, I feel better.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Yes. That $100+ you've been paying monthly vs my one-time $260 Kodi device in late-2015.
A fool and his money....

AFCON 2024 L-O-S-E-R-S

Akure4Life
Egg
Egg

Post by Akure4Life »

tfco wrote:

Yes. That $100+ you've been paying monthly vs my one-time $260 Kodi device in late-2015.
A fool and his money....
$260 for a kodi device?

I paid less than $60 for mine
Akure4Life

Ojota is my hood.
balo
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by balo »

Akure4Life wrote:
tfco wrote:

A fool and his money....
$260 for a kodi device?

There are different qualities of those kodi boxes. I have a $40 that was total waste of money. Then I had a $100 that was doing well and another $159 one I was using before kodi started to mess up. Updates weren't happening anymore. Stream links were dead.

Now I don't use them anymore since PlayStation Vue came to the rescue.

tfco
Eagle
Eagle

Post by tfco »

sorry, it's an android box.

$260 incl the remote control

so i get the kodi streams + GH movies etc etc

AFCON 2024 L-O-S-E-R-S

benteke
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by benteke »

Lads in the UK, how did your 'Kodi boxes' work today
Akure4Life
Egg
Egg

Post by Akure4Life »

benteke wrote:Lads in the UK, how did your 'Kodi boxes' work today

Mine worked perfectly fine
Akure4Life

Ojota is my hood.
metalalloy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by metalalloy »

Akure4Life wrote:
tfco wrote:

A fool and his money....
$260 for a kodi device?

And that is $60 too much :D . the software is free and you don't need a box to operate it.