Wanyama vs Kante.

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

bamenda boy
Eaglet
Eaglet
Wanyama vs Kante.

Post by bamenda boy »

Who is overall the better player?
Only two things in life are certain - death and taxes. But there is one other unpleasant certainty: criticism. No one escapes it entirely and often our careers, our emotional stability, even our happiness depends on how we react to it."By Benjamin Franklin"
Dammy
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: Wanyama vs Kante.

Post by Dammy »

bamenda boy wrote:Who is overall the better player?
Ndidi
I am happy
Chimex101
Egg
Egg

Post by Chimex101 »

Kante by several miles, no midfielder can touch the little guy right now.
olu
Egg
Egg

Post by olu »

I concur. It will be pretty tough to find another CM/DM at the moment that is as good as Kante
Chimex101 wrote:Kante by several miles, no midfielder can touch the little guy right now.
pajimoh
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by pajimoh »

Everyone pp will go for Kante and I will too. Rightly so because he powered Leicester to the title and he's doing the same for Chelsea. Wanyama is yet to do that. But the funny thing is Wanyama is probably one of two players that can subdue Kante
Super Eagles - Fly Above The Storm!!!
Prince
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Prince »

Wanyama needs a Dembele to tag team on kante
Oya back to the matter
open and close
pajimoh
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by pajimoh »

Prince wrote:Wanyama needs a Dembele to tag team on kante
Wrong. Go watch the game again. Everyone is always trying to overinflate Kante like he's superhuman. Kante is not the only midfielder at Chelsea and Wanyama is not the only midfielder at Spurs.
I said Wanyama is one of two midfielders that could possibly handle Kante. Dembele is the other and it's based on what I've seen. Kante tried both and got no change from any of them. In the end he was substituted.
Kante can run all day but he's no way near as beastly as those two. Wanyama happens to be a Kenyan so there's nothing wrong with his lungs.

Don't follow follow about it takes two people to subdue Kante. Maybe other teams but not at Spurs. Chelsea got away likely when we played them at the bridge but were man handled at the Lane.
I suspect everyone at Chelsea will reluctantly admit the only team that can trouble them right now is Spurs
green4life
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by green4life »

Fair play to Wanyama and Dembele because for me, they are the best CM duo in the league, no doubt and that partly explains why Kante has had a rough time against them. Matic doesn't complement him nearly as much as Wanyama and Dembele complement each other. And Fabregas in not the solution either especially against proper opposition like Spurs. The two games this season were difficult moments for CFC in midfield. Although, Conte loves his 343, I won't be surprised if he goes with a third CM either in a 352 or 433. He has to because the current arrangement doesn't match up well for CFC.

That said, the fact that CFC is 10pts clear at this point in the season has a lot to do with the little engine that could, aka, Kante. And that's what makes him, on current form, the best CM in England at the moment.
marutimon
Egg
Egg

Post by marutimon »

Idrissa Gueye is better than Kante. And he even has the stats to back it up. He was better than Kante in France and even in his worst season ever at Aston Villa he was on par with Kante. As it stands he's a minor upgrade on Kante in every department - covers more ground, tackles better, has better ball control, dribbles better, is faster, attacks better, has a better passing range.

Kante just made the better career choice when joining Leicester City.
pajimoh
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by pajimoh »

marutimon wrote:Idrissa Gueye is better than Kante. And he even has the stats to back it up. He was better than Kante in France and even in his worst season ever at Aston Villa he was on par with Kante. As it stands he's a minor upgrade on Kante in every department - covers more ground, tackles better, has better ball control, dribbles better, is faster, attacks better, has a better passing range.

That's another good mf. I wish we can pick him up also :tic: Greed
green4life
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by green4life »

marutimon wrote:Idrissa Gueye is better than Kante. And he even has the stats to back it up. He was better than Kante in France and even in his worst season ever at Aston Villa he was on par with Kante. As it stands he's a minor upgrade on Kante in every department - covers more ground, tackles better, has better ball control, dribbles better, is faster, attacks better, has a better passing range.

I admit I'm ignorant but could you provide the stats to back it up. Keep in mind we're talking about this season and not what occurred years ago in France.
Coach
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Coach »

Gueye is solid but doesn't boast the entropy of Ngolo Everywhere. As an all-rounder, only Dembele is in his class. Moussa has quietly been one of the finest centre mids in the Premiership for seasons.

PS: Francis Cocoa beans at the same stage in his career, dogsh*t.
marutimon
Egg
Egg

Post by marutimon »

Yes, I'm talking about this season:
Gueye:
Whoscored rating 7,34
Tackles per game (PG): 4,5 (total 108 this season with some 6 games less than Kante, highest number of tackles this season in all of Europe's top leagues)
Dispossesed + unsuccessful touches per game: 2
Aerials won PG: 1,5
Interceptions PG: 2,5
Dribbles PG: 1,5
Average duels won: 53%

Kante:
Whoscored rating 7,27
Tackles per game (PG): 3,7
Dispossesed + unsuccessful touches per game: 2,2
Aerials won PG: 0,7
Interceptions PG: 2,4
Dribbles PG: 1,2
Average duels won: 42%
Responsible for one goal

The rest of the stats of Kante and Gueye are equal. Save for Gueye having slightly higher passing completion rates, but if you watch the players Gueye passes forward more, while Kante is a sideways passer.
marutimon
Egg
Egg

Post by marutimon »

Coach wrote:Gueye is solid but doesn't boast the entropy of Ngolo Everywhere. As an all-rounder, only Dembele is in his class. Moussa has quietly been one of the finest centre mids in the Premiership for seasons.

PS: Francis Cocoa beans at the same stage in his career, dogsh*t.
Really? He does not? And yet he covers more ground than Kante and any Everton fan will tell you that they are very happy the referees have no problems with them playing with 12 players on the field with two DMs in Gana and in Gueye.

Sorry, but Kante in all essence is a replica of Gueye, not the other way around.

And also: As an all-rounder Gueye is pretty much above Kante in everything: ball control, dribbling, protecting the ball, passing range. Gueye was actually Leicester's first choice ahead of Kante.

Pray tell: What exactly does Kante have over Gueye? He's second best in almost every stat there is (tackling included). Gueye is basically the same player that Kante is, but a bit better. Kante only has slightly better passing stats (85% to 88%), but thats mainly because Gueye is more adventurous in his passing and involves himself more in attack.

Ask any Everton fan and they will almost unanimously say that they don't need Kante, unless as a backup for Gueye. Also he is going to win the Player of the Year by a landslide despite Lukaku's 20+ goals.
green4life
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by green4life »

marutimon wrote:Yes, I'm talking about this season:
Gueye:
Whoscored rating 7,34
Tackles per game (PG): 4,5 (total 108 this season with some 6 games less than Kante, highest number of tackles this season in all of Europe's top leagues)

Kante:
Whoscored rating 7,27
Responsible for one goal

The rest of the stats of Kante and Gueye are equal. Save for Gueye having slightly higher passing completion rates, but if you watch the players Gueye passes forward more, while Kante is a sideways passer.
Kante a sideways passer? Seriously? Anyway it doesn't matter. Gueye has great stats and fair play to him but the X-factor is why Kante gets all the well deserved praise: He was a massive piece of the Leicester City engine that powered them to win the league last year and this season he's pushed CFC from 10th last season to currently 1st with his all round performances. He's done it with a small team and now doing it at an ambitious club.
green4life
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by green4life »

marutimon wrote: Ask any Everton fan and they will almost unanimously say that they don't need Kante, unless as a backup for Gueye. Also he is going to win the Player of the Year by a landslide despite Lukaku's 20+ goals.
Sorry but that's delusion right there. And are you suggesting that Gueye will win EPL player of the year by a landslide or Everton player of the year? Because I suspect that most rational observers expect Kante to win EPL player of the year especially if CFC is able to hold on and win the league.
Prince
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Prince »

pajimoh wrote:
Prince wrote:Wanyama needs a Dembele to tag team on kante
Wrong. Go watch the game again. Everyone is always trying to overinflate Kante like he's superhuman. Kante is not the only midfielder at Chelsea and Wanyama is not the only midfielder at Spurs.
I said Wanyama is one of two midfielders that could possibly handle Kante. Dembele is the other and it's based on what I've seen. Kante tried both and got no change from any of them. In the end he was substituted.
Kante can run all day but he's no way near as beastly as those two. Wanyama happens to be a Kenyan so there's nothing wrong with his lungs.

Don't follow follow about it takes two people to subdue Kante. Maybe other teams but not at Spurs. Chelsea got away likely when we played them at the bridge but were man handled at the Lane.
I suspect everyone at Chelsea will reluctantly admit the only team that can trouble them right now is Spurs
Oga Matic is short one, Dembele and Wanyama dealt with both of them, they were tossing Kante around like a rag doll, Mikel and Kante would have dealt easily with them, Wanyama is good but I remember Nigeria v Kenya Mikel dealt with him like a small boy.
Oya back to the matter
open and close
marutimon
Egg
Egg

Post by marutimon »

green4life wrote:Sorry but that's delusion right there. And are you suggesting that Gueye will win EPL player of the year by a landslide or Everton player of the year? Because I suspect that most rational observers expect Kante to win EPL player of the year especially if CFC is able to hold on and win the league.
No, he'll win Everton Player of the Year by a landslide (which I thought was obvious given I mentioned Lukaku as his main competition). And a lot of pundits are coming out and saying Gueye is better than Kante or at least on par.
green4life wrote:Kante a sideways passer? Seriously? Anyway it doesn't matter. Gueye has great stats and fair play to him but the X-factor is why Kante gets all the well deserved praise: He was a massive piece of the Leicester City engine that powered them to win the league last year and this season he's pushed CFC from 10th last season to currently 1st with his all round performances. He's done it with a small team and now doing it at an ambitious club.
When compared to Gueye he is a sideways passer.
If Kante is such an X-factor than why is Leicester now playing just as well as they were last year once Shakespeare changed the formation back and Ndidi slid in Kante's place? Need I mention that a Kante-less Leicester is in the CL 1/4 final?

Leicester's win was never a Kante one man show.
And need I remind you that neither is Chelsea. Not to mention that Chelsea was doing quite poorly with Kante before Conte changed to a 3-5-2 formation, where Moses suddenly turned out to be one of the key players on the team.

Gueye has everything that Kante has and more. It's pretty telling that the only argument to prove Kante's superiority is that his eleven man team is performing better than Gueye's eleven man team (but in all H2H comparisons Kante comes out second best). And Everton is easily the best of the rest in the PL (apart from the bix six) with Gueye by far their best player, they aren't even that far off of a CL slot and with their current form they may well make the cut yet.
balo
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by balo »

Kante for me.

If Chelsea can pick up another beastly DM/CM like Bakayako, next season will be double interesting.
If Noah had been truly wise, he would have swatted those two flies. -- Helen Castle

http://i42.tinypic.com/210hk01.jpg
green4life
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by green4life »

marutimon wrote:
green4life wrote:Sorry but that's delusion right there. And are you suggesting that Gueye will win EPL player of the year by a landslide or Everton player of the year? Because I suspect that most rational observers expect Kante to win EPL player of the year especially if CFC is able to hold on and win the league.
No, he'll win Everton Player of the Year by a landslide (which I thought was obvious given I mentioned Lukaku as his main competition). And a lot of pundits are coming out and saying Gueye is better than Kante or at least on par.
green4life wrote:Kante a sideways passer? Seriously? Anyway it doesn't matter. Gueye has great stats and fair play to him but the X-factor is why Kante gets all the well deserved praise: He was a massive piece of the Leicester City engine that powered them to win the league last year and this season he's pushed CFC from 10th last season to currently 1st with his all round performances. He's done it with a small team and now doing it at an ambitious club.
When compared to Gueye he is a sideways passer.
If Kante is such an X-factor than why is Leicester now playing just as well as they were last year once Shakespeare changed the formation back and Ndidi slid in Kante's place? Need I mention that a Kante-less Leicester is in the CL 1/4 final?

Leicester's win was never a Kante one man show.
And need I remind you that neither is Chelsea. Not to mention that Chelsea was doing quite poorly with Kante before Conte changed to a 3-5-2 formation, where Moses suddenly turned out to be one of the key players on the team.

Gueye has everything that Kante has and more. It's pretty telling that the only argument to prove Kante's superiority is that his eleven man team is performing better than Gueye's eleven man team (but in all H2H comparisons Kante comes out second best). And Everton is easily the best of the rest in the PL (apart from the bix six) with Gueye by far their best player, they aren't even that far off of a CL slot and with their current form they may well make the cut yet.
That fact that Kante elevates his teams is not even arguable. The question is whether Gueye, playing for a top manager and with more talented teammates at Everton than Kante had at Leicester City, can push his team to a top 4 finish, talk less of wining the league. CL QF qualification is not a trophy and neither is top 4 by the way.
marutimon
Egg
Egg

Post by marutimon »

green4life wrote:That fact that Kante elevates his teams is not even arguable. The question is whether Gueye, playing for a top manager and with more talented teammates at Everton than Kante had at Leicester City, can push his team to a top 4 finish, talk less of wining the league. CL QF qualification is not a trophy and neither is top 4 by the way.
Again: Nothing concrete, just a subjective 'elevates his team' argument. A better argument can be made that Kante didn't elevate Chelsea, but Moses did, as Chelsea only started winning when Moses became a first team stalwart. FACT!

A team which without Kante makes the 1/4 final of the Champions League has worse players than Everton??? This argument makes no sense whatsoever. Mahrez made many European Teams of the Year, there was also Vardy, Drinkwater and Schmeichel. And in general a great team.

Everton have who exactly? Lukaku, Gueye and... who exactly? Bolasie? Schneiderlin? Barkley? Barry? You kid...

But Gueye does not have more talented teammates at Everton than Kante had at Leicester. Also Leicester in part did win because most of their opposition was in crisis / downfall mode (Chelsea, Manchester United, to a lesser extent Arsenal) or rebuilding mode (Tottenham, Liverpool).

Kante right now has the same teammates that won the EPL two seasons ago. But given the same teams Gueye would do the same, if not better.
Cristao II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Cristao II »

green4life wrote:
marutimon wrote:Yes, I'm talking about this season:
Gueye:
Whoscored rating 7,34

Kante:
Whoscored rating 7,27
Responsible for one goal

Kante a sideways passer? Seriously? Anyway it doesn't matter. Gueye has great stats and fair play to him but the X-factor is why Kante gets all the well deserved praise: He was a massive piece of the Leicester City engine that powered them to win the league last year and this season he's pushed CFC from 10th last season to currently 1st with his all round performances. He's done it with a small team and now doing it at an ambitious club.
Agreed however Gueye had a better track record than Kante in France and their numbers are quite similar.
"Will we next create false gods to rule over us? How proud have we become, and how blind."

Primary: Lenovo Y410p: i5-4200M | 2GB Nvidia GT755M | 16GB DDR3L | 1000GB SSD | N2230 | LG24MP76 - Windows 10 64-Bit
Secondary: Dell Inspirion 1545: Core2Duo | 4GB RAM | 320GB 5400RPM - Linux Mint Cinnamon
Tertiary: Lenovo Legion 5 Pro: Ryzen 7 5800H | 32GB DDR4 | 2000GB SSD | 8GB NVidia RTX3070 - Windows 11 Pro
HTC U11+ - Xiaomi Mi8
Cristao II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Cristao II »

marutimon wrote:
green4life wrote:That fact that Kante elevates his teams is not even arguable. The question is whether Gueye, playing for a top manager and with more talented teammates at Everton than Kante had at Leicester City, can push his team to a top 4 finish, talk less of wining the league. CL QF qualification is not a trophy and neither is top 4 by the way.
Again: Nothing concrete, just a subjective 'elevates his team' argument. A better argument can be made that Kante didn't elevate Chelsea, but Moses did, as Chelsea only started winning when Moses became a first team stalwart. FACT!

A team which without Kante makes the 1/4 final of the Champions League has worse players than Everton??? This argument makes no sense whatsoever. Mahrez made many European Teams of the Year, there was also Vardy, Drinkwater and Schmeichel. And in general a great team.

Everton have who exactly? Lukaku, Gueye and... who exactly? Bolasie? Schneiderlin? Barkley? Barry? You kid...

But Gueye does not have more talented teammates at Everton than Kante had at Leicester. Also Leicester in part did win because most of their opposition was in crisis / downfall mode (Chelsea, Manchester United, to a lesser extent Arsenal) or rebuilding mode (Tottenham, Liverpool).

Kante right now has the same teammates that won the EPL two seasons ago. But given the same teams Gueye would do the same, if not better.
Gueye is not as consistent as Kante and doesnt have such a good pass as well.
"Will we next create false gods to rule over us? How proud have we become, and how blind."

Primary: Lenovo Y410p: i5-4200M | 2GB Nvidia GT755M | 16GB DDR3L | 1000GB SSD | N2230 | LG24MP76 - Windows 10 64-Bit
Secondary: Dell Inspirion 1545: Core2Duo | 4GB RAM | 320GB 5400RPM - Linux Mint Cinnamon
Tertiary: Lenovo Legion 5 Pro: Ryzen 7 5800H | 32GB DDR4 | 2000GB SSD | 8GB NVidia RTX3070 - Windows 11 Pro
HTC U11+ - Xiaomi Mi8