Rivers United crash out of CAF Champions League

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Purity
Eaglet
Eaglet
Rivers United crash out of CAF Champions League

Post by Purity »

El Meikh 4, Rivers united 0..
Agg score: El Merick 4, Rivers United 3.

will drop to conferations cup.
Last edited by Purity on Sat Mar 18, 2017 9:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jesus didn't die so we could have religion. He died so we could have a deep, intimate, personal relationship with God.
truetalk
Site Admin
Site Admin
Re: El Merick hammers rivers united 4 nil in Caf champ leagu

Post by truetalk »

How does this happen. I just don't get.

Anything short of 2 red cards and 2 penalties is beyond me.

You beat them in PH 3-0 just last weekend. Are we that weak Psychologically?

This happens too many times to Nigerian teams (I know it also happened to PSG)
Robotnik
Egg
Egg

Post by Robotnik »

Another one bites the dust. Who open that Rivers thread again

See what I say about NPFL
truetalk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by truetalk »

Robotnik wrote:Another one bites the dust. Who open that Rivers thread again

See what I say about NPFL
I've seen some good talent in the NPFL this season & Rivers United was actually built for this competition.

They have a solid team (apart from their 63 year old keeper) & they reinforced the team with a coupe of foreign players. They also went on that Spanish tour pre-season.

I really want to know what happened here. Was it a case of shoddy travel planes & they were jet-lagged? What is bad officiating? It just does not make sense!!
Purity
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: Rivers United crash out of CAF Champions League

Post by Purity »

Rivers United subjected to a hostile reception in Omdurman, Sudan
Jesus didn't die so we could have religion. He died so we could have a deep, intimate, personal relationship with God.
Cellular
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location: Nembe Creek...Oil Exploration. If you call am bunkering na you sabi.

Post by Cellular »

Purity wrote:Rivers United subjected to a hostile reception in Omdurman, Sudan
Story.

I bet you the players will tok say they were afraid of their lives and had to lose by that margin to escape with their lives.
THERE WAS A COUNTRY...

...can't cry more than the bereaved!

Well done is better than well said!!!
jette1
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by jette1 »

Cellular wrote:
Purity wrote:Rivers United subjected to a hostile reception in Omdurman, Sudan
Story.

I bet you the players will tok say they were afraid of their lives and had to lose by that margin to escape with their lives.
either that or rivers goal keeper would say he was seeing 3 balls at the same time
make peaceful change impossible make violent change inevitable.

"It depends on what the meaning of the word 'is' is. If the--if he--if 'is' means is and never has been, that is not--that is one thing. If it means there is none, that was a completely true statement....Now, if someone had asked me on that day, are you having any kind of sexual relations with Ms. Lewinsky, that is, asked me a question in the present tense, I would have said no. And it would have been completely true."
nemi2002
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by nemi2002 »

This is not the first time the sudanese are pulling this stunt
Chief Ogbunigwe
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Chief Ogbunigwe »

nemi2002 wrote:This is not the first time the sudanese are pulling this stunt

what stunt? scoring 4 goals while conceding none?
AFCON 2019 sweet o
Barren for 37 yrs no good o

New member and Titled Chief, Distant Gunners Consortium.
"This is an island surrounded by water, big water, ocean water."
oloye
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by oloye »

We have fallen way behind in africa at club level. Sudan beating us like we used to beat teams from Togo...
"There is big pressure at this club as you cannot be like the manager at Arsenal and ask for five years to try and to win one trophy" - Jose Mourinho

.... I believe in God. I try to be a good man so He can have a bit of time to give me a hand when I need it - Jose Mourinho
Chief Ogbunigwe
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Chief Ogbunigwe »

oloye wrote:We have fallen way behind in africa at club level. Sudan beating us like we used to beat teams from Togo...

didn't you hear that we lost 0-4 because of their "stunts"?
AFCON 2019 sweet o
Barren for 37 yrs no good o

New member and Titled Chief, Distant Gunners Consortium.
"This is an island surrounded by water, big water, ocean water."
anointed
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by anointed »

Haranguing?
TOUCH NOT MY ANOINTED...
For the preaching of the cross is to them that perish foolishness; but unto us which are saved it is the power of God. For it is written, I will destroy the wisdom of the wise, and will bring to nothing the understanding...hath not God made foolish the wisdom of this world? 21 For after that in the wisdom of God the world by wisdom knew not God, it pleased God by the foolishness of preaching to save them that believe
anointed
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by anointed »

Breaking: Rivers United players suffer fans’ attack in Sudan

March 17, 2017 / 23:11 PM /

Breaking: Rivers United players suffer fans’ attack in Sudan

Players and officials of Rivers United FC were on Friday attacked by fans of Sudanese club, Al Merrikh just before their training session in Omdurman on Friday.

One official of the Nigerian club, Bright Ogude was injured as a result of the attack.

Meanwhile, United have announced that they will send a strongly-worded protest to the Confederation of African Football (CAF) over the ‘unwarranted’ attack on players and officials of the club in Omdurman on Friday by fans of Sudanese club, Al-Merrikh.

The United contingent were pelted with various objects as they made their way to training at the Al-Merrikh Stadium, Omdurman.

“This is unacceptable,” Rivers State Sports Commissioner, Honourable Boma Iyaye, who led the Rivers United contingent to Sudan fumed when discussing the sad turn of events with the club’s official.

“We treated them very well when they came to Nigeria for the first leg and there were no complaints.

“We are bitterly disappointed at the attacks directed towards us (on Friday) and the cub will write a formal protest letter to Caf over this unwarranted treatment meted out to us.

“Hopefully, Caf will take action,” Hon Iyaye concluded.

Rivers United and Al Merreikh will meet on Sunday in a second leg, first round clash of the 2017 Caf Champions League at the Al-Merrik Stadium, Omdurman.

The Nigerian club won the first leg 3-0 in Port Harcourt last Sunday
https://www.sportlineng.com/2017/03/17/ ... ack-sudan/
TOUCH NOT MY ANOINTED...
For the preaching of the cross is to them that perish foolishness; but unto us which are saved it is the power of God. For it is written, I will destroy the wisdom of the wise, and will bring to nothing the understanding...hath not God made foolish the wisdom of this world? 21 For after that in the wisdom of God the world by wisdom knew not God, it pleased God by the foolishness of preaching to save them that believe
nemi2002
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by nemi2002 »

Chief Ogbunigwe wrote:
nemi2002 wrote:This is not the first time the sudanese are pulling this stunt

what stunt? scoring 4 goals while conceding none?
Beating a team from Rivers state by 4 goals after conceding 3 in the first leg
General Trousers
Eaglet
Eaglet
Rivers United loss has troubled me to no end ...

Post by General Trousers »

Rivers United loss has troubled me to no end ...
The loss of Rivers United has further driven home the point of the lack of technical dearth and polish that our local sides have.
Rivers United fell to Al-Merreikh, and I know first hand that the Sudanese have been very consistent in their local football. Our Nigerian clubs have done poorly at the continental level. This reflects a lack of technical polish ... Many of our players are just very raw, and in the old days, pure grit, skill, athleticism might rescue us, I have to say that the higher acumen of polished sides makes such efforts an exercise in futility.

To lose 4-0 only exposes us. Also one must wonder HOW a team can lose 4-0 ...

Sudanese champions Al-Merreikh on Saturday pulled off one of the biggest comebacks in the Caf Champions League in recent years to see off Nigerian side Rivers United 4-3 on aggregate.

Bakri Al Madina netted a first-half hat-trick and Mohamed Abdulrahman came off the bench to score the fourth as The Red Devils clawed their way back from a three-goal deficit in the first leg in Nigeria about a week ago to dispatch Rivers United.

Rivers United head coach Stanley Eguma opted for a defensive approach to protect their three-goal advantage with a five-man backline of Markson Ojobo, Zoumana Doumbia, Ayobami Asekunowo, Festus Austine and Joseph Douhadji

The Nigeria Professional Football League (NPFL) side could only hold on for 20 minutes before Bakri breached their backline with the first of his three goals.

Source: http://www.supersport.com/football/caf- ... Rivers_Utd
<
green4life
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: Rivers United loss has troubled me to no end ...

Post by green4life »

General Trousers wrote:The loss of Rivers United has further driven home the point of the lack of technical dearth and polish that our local sides have.
Rivers United fell to Al-Merreikh, and I know first hand that the Sudanese have been very consistent in their local football. Our Nigerian clubs have done poorly at the continental level. This reflects a lack of technical polish ... Many of our players are just very raw, and in the old days, pure grit, skill, athleticism might rescue us, I have to say that the higher acumen of polished sides makes such efforts an exercise in futility.

To lose 4-0 only exposes us. Also one must wonder HOW a team can lose 4-0 ...
PSG was a very well polished team when barca erased a 4-0 set by winning 6-1. Even if you lived under a rock, surely, the tremendous tremors from that ground shaking result must have alerted you to investigate the cause.
nemi2002
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: Rivers United loss has troubled me to no end ...

Post by nemi2002 »

The Sudanese beat steam from rivers State with the same scoreline a year or two ago. Same 4-3 scoreline
oloye
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by oloye »

Whether sharks disguises as Rivers united or obokun eko or tilapia..they will still be losing. They have carried their losing streak to pollute the winning streak of Dolphins....this is what you get with bad cross breeding in these fishes from Borokiri waterside...

Imagine being beaten silly by common Sudan...kai ofirima don shame Naija. :cry:
"There is big pressure at this club as you cannot be like the manager at Arsenal and ask for five years to try and to win one trophy" - Jose Mourinho

.... I believe in God. I try to be a good man so He can have a bit of time to give me a hand when I need it - Jose Mourinho
bret- hart
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by bret- hart »

Faacking shame. We cant even get into the group stages of the CAF CL. :boo: :boo: :boo: :boo:
I AM THE EXCELLENCE OF EXECUTION- BRET THE "HITMAN" HART.

The Neo Nueves Hart foundation: R.Onyedika, M.Usor, Y.Sor, A.Adeleye, A.Okonkwo, N.Tella, A.Yusuf, E.Onyenezide, V.Lopez, O.Olusegun.
wiseone
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by wiseone »

Losing the second leg 0-4 after being 3-0 up from the first leg is absolutely criminal. Why do Nigerian clubs produce these unprofessional performances in the ACL? Enyimba also pulled a stunt like this last season (won first leg 3-0, lost second leg 0-3): viewtopic.php?f=1&t=271084&hilit=enyimba
Purity wrote:El Meikh 4, Rivers united 0..
Agg score: El Merick 4, Rivers United 3.

will drop to conferations cup.
jette1
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by jette1 »

in this day and age of camera everywhere; where is the video of the attack because one pelt of water bottle wouldn't qualify as attack
make peaceful change impossible make violent change inevitable.

"It depends on what the meaning of the word 'is' is. If the--if he--if 'is' means is and never has been, that is not--that is one thing. If it means there is none, that was a completely true statement....Now, if someone had asked me on that day, are you having any kind of sexual relations with Ms. Lewinsky, that is, asked me a question in the present tense, I would have said no. And it would have been completely true."
YUJAM
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by YUJAM »

El Merreikh is in the second tier of African club football hierarchy. They've made it to the CAF CL semis at least once in recent years. To maintain this type of success internationally, I assume they are well managed and financed. So they are no joke in the African arena

However, it is almost inconceivable to me that they were able to overturn a 3 zip deficit vs a team from Nigeria
Ghana's First President Kwame Nkrumah said: "We face neither East nor West; we face Forward"
folem
Egg
Egg

Post by folem »

https://www.worldfootball.net/teams/al- ... durman/11/
YUJAM wrote:El Merreikh is in the second tier of African club football hierarchy. They've made it to the CAF CL semis at least once in recent years. To maintain this type of success internationally, I assume they are well managed and financed. So they are no joke in the African arena

However, it is almost inconceivable to me that they were able to overturn a 3 zip deficit vs a team from Nigeria