Manchester United - News, Developments & Season

Discuss World Football here. Continental football, International Leagues, and players.
danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: Manchester United - News, Developments & Season

Post by danfo driver »

wiseone wrote:How Man Utd contrived to draw those games against Burnley, Arsenal, Hull, Everton, West Ham, Liverpool, and Stoke after laying siege to the opponents' goal. Combination of bad finishing, heroic goalkeeping by the opposition GK, and Jose trying to win 1-0 (rather than go for a killer second goal) led to them repeatedly conceding late/last minute equalisers. 14 very valuable points dropped in games they should have won by a canter, but drew.

If Man Utd finish 5th but end the season with the EFL Cup in the cabinet, what will happen to Jose? LVG was fired for winning the FA Cup and finishing 5th (on goal difference - same points as Man City).
If you guys end the season with Charity Shield, EFL CUP, Europa League and Top 3, then you have had a RELATIVELY successful season.

Anything less and its been an average or less season.

Your team can EASILY finish 2nd! Easily! Win your next two games and you could be in 3rd with 2 games still in hand. But the problem is that your team is mentally weak. As you said, you should easily be competing with Chelsea for the league, but your team threw games away! Literally.
"it is better to be excited now and disappointed later, than it is to be disappointed now and later." - Marcus Aurelius, 178AD
metalalloy wrote: Does the SE have Gray, Mahrez or Albrighton on our team or players of their caliber?
green4life
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by green4life »

danfo driver wrote:
green4life wrote:
benteke wrote:Is Mourinho now adopting a version of 3-5-2 formation ?
Played 343 yesterday. Yep. After criticizing Conte, he's now shamelessly copying the man's style. :agree:

Na wa for Jose ... Danfo Driver about to respond in 5..4...3 ......... :lol:
Make I respond? :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:
Abeg nooo :rotf: Na joke I dey joke.

I still root for Jose except when he faces Chelsea. :thumbs:
green4life
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by green4life »

By the way, that 343 set up makes ManU very balanced. Knowing Jose, he must be loving the shifts from both his wing backs (Young & Valencia).
danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by danfo driver »

green4life wrote:By the way, that 343 set up makes ManU very balanced. Knowing Jose, he must be loving the shifts from both his wing backs (Young & Valencia).
I dont think he will play the 3-4-3 for long. Its a formation of necessity. he said as much before he started playing it @ Rostov. They do not have a lot of central midfielders right now and with the amount of games they have to play, he wanted to reduce the amount of midfielders he plays from 3 to 2.

And I dont think their fans like it either. Since they have started playing it, they have been conceding possession.
"it is better to be excited now and disappointed later, than it is to be disappointed now and later." - Marcus Aurelius, 178AD
metalalloy wrote: Does the SE have Gray, Mahrez or Albrighton on our team or players of their caliber?
green4life
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by green4life »

danfo driver wrote:
green4life wrote:By the way, that 343 set up makes ManU very balanced. Knowing Jose, he must be loving the shifts from both his wing backs (Young & Valencia).
I dont think he will play the 3-4-3 for long. Its a formation of necessity. he said as much before he started playing it @ Rostov. They do not have a lot of central midfielders right now and with the amount of games they have to play, he wanted to reduce the amount of midfielders he plays from 3 to 2.

And I dont think their fans like it either. Since they have started playing it, they have been conceding possession.
yes .. but they have been in control of games and especially defensively much more sound which provides a solid platform to attack or counter depending on the situation. Jose loves to control games and doesn't really care much about possession stats although sometimes it bites him in the arse late in games where he makes those defensive subs. You saw how happy he was at the end yesterday. Relief :lol:
mcal
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by mcal »

...with the way things are going looks like Machester United season thread go over take Arsenal season thread :lol:
wiseone
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by wiseone »

Good weekend for Man Utd:

*won away against Boro
*Fellaini scored
*A right back scored
*Young played well and got an assist
*No new injuries
*Man City, Arsenal, and Liverpool dropped points.

:D
Cristao II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Cristao II »

green4life wrote:
danfo driver wrote:

yes .. but they have been in control of games and especially defensively much more sound which provides a solid platform to attack or counter depending on the situation. Jose loves to control games and doesn't really care much about possession stats although sometimes it bites him in the arse late in games where he makes those defensive subs. You saw how happy he was at the end yesterday. Relief :lol:
It also brings out the strengths of Valencia and Young as wingbacks. Young is a very good crosser of the ball. Had almost forgotten how deadly he was at Aston Villa. I cant stand him though.
"Will we next create false gods to rule over us? How proud have we become, and how blind."

Primary: Lenovo Y410p: i5-4200M | 2GB Nvidia GT755M | 16GB DDR3L | 1000GB SSD | N2230 | LG24MP76 - Windows 10 64-Bit
Secondary: Dell Inspirion 1545: Core2Duo | 4GB RAM | 320GB 5400RPM - Linux Mint Cinnamon
Tertiary: Lenovo Legion 5 Pro: Ryzen 7 5800H | 32GB DDR4 | 2000GB SSD | 8GB NVidia RTX3070 - Windows 11 Pro
HTC U11+ - Xiaomi Mi8
YemiBrazil
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by YemiBrazil »

UNITED ANNOUNCES PRE-SEASON TOUR TO USA

• Tour 2017, presented by Aon
• United to play five games in North America this summer
• Games to be played on the east and west coast

(NYSE:MANU) Manchester United will play games in the United States of America this summer for Tour 2017, presented by Aon.

Jose Mourinho’s men will play five games in five cities, including matches in Los Angeles, Salt Lake City, Santa Clara and Washington DC.

In the previous two visits to the USA, the club has welcomed more than half a million supporters to games across the States, in a country where United has over eight million followers.

The two-week tour forms part of the club’s preparations for the 2017/18 Premier League campaign, with further details regarding Tour 2017, including opposition teams, venues and ticket details, to be announced in the coming days.

United first visited America in 1950 as part of a close-season tour, playing against local clubs. The long-standing relationship with the USA has seen the club make a further 14 visits to the country facing American and Mexican sides as well as a host of clubs from across Europe.

Speaking of the summer plans, United’s executive vice-chairman, Ed Woodward, said: “Visiting North America will give the team the best possible preparation for the new season, using top-class training facilities and playing in some great stadiums.

“We have witnessed first-hand the passion and support for the club in the US in recent years, so naturally it is something that everybody is very much looking forward to this summer.”

Aon is the presenting partner of Manchester United’s Tour 2017, offering its expertise in risk management, insurance, reinsurance brokerage and human resources solutions.

President and chief executive officer of Aon, Greg Case, said: “We are pleased to partner with Manchester United as the club makes its return to the United States for Tour 2017. In the US, and around the world, we work with organisations to empower results by reducing volatility and finding opportunities to improve performance. Like Manchester United, we believe that success requires a compelling strategy, strong execution and above all, leadership. We look forward to supporting the club on their journey to greatness.”
*** Every child is A STAR! ***

Only Mister Johnson https://www.amazon.com/Only-Mister-Johnson-Okey-Chigbo/dp/B09DMW3RM9
----------------------------------------------------------------
"A revolution in a personal context, is a turn around of a predominant way of thinking or doing things TO BETTER YOURSELF and effectively BETTER YOUR NATION!!!"
----------------------------------------------------------------
* Progressive Federalism * Personal Revolution * Industrialization *
anointed
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by anointed »

tfco wrote:anderlecht next.

easy
Like this, right? Don't underrate any side.

TOUCH NOT MY ANOINTED...
For the preaching of the cross is to them that perish foolishness; but unto us which are saved it is the power of God. For it is written, I will destroy the wisdom of the wise, and will bring to nothing the understanding...hath not God made foolish the wisdom of this world? 21 For after that in the wisdom of God the world by wisdom knew not God, it pleased God by the foolishness of preaching to save them that believe
wiseone
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by wiseone »

Bastian Schweinsteiger has joined Chicago Fire of the MLS: http://www.bbc.com/sport/football/39336934

Good luck Bastian. Shame things did not work out at Man Utd. He was the right player at the wrong time (5 years too late after injuries and age took their toll on him). At the time he was signed Man Utd were desperately in need of a World Cup and Champions League winning German midfielder. Sadly the name of the player Man Utd should have signed was Sami Khedira, not Bastian. Khedira was available for free as his contract had expired. Instead Man Utd decided it was wiser to pay 7 million for an injury ravaged player over 30 than to sign a player in his 20s, and prime of his career for free.

Plus Jonesy (back in the England squad after 3-4 years) has had to pull out because he picked up an injury in training: http://www.bbc.com/sport/football/39344239 Story of his career.
marko
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by marko »

wiseone wrote:Good weekend for Man Utd:

*won away against Boro
*Fellaini scored
*A right back scored
*Young played well and got an assist
*No new injuries
*Man City, Arsenal, and Liverpool dropped points.

:D

Young is actually a solid left wing back, his crosses are priceless, he and Valencia make a solid combination, can remember during LVG reign, Young made so many assists with his pin point delivery crosses, hope Mourinho uses him more
So angry Nigeria got kicked out of the world cup once again, i nearly told my wife that i caught my girlfriend with another man today!

Marko
wiseone
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by wiseone »

The irony is that the four best players of the LVG era were DDG, Mike Smalling, Young, and Fellaini. A whipped and dipping Young cross followed by a Fellaini header at the far post was a successful weapon for Man Utd during that time. It sounds odd, but Ashley Young pushed Di Maria onto the bench and eventually out of the club. A guy who won the Champions League and played in the World Cup final months earlier, was kept out of the team by....Ashley Young!

Young tracks back, crosses the ball, works hard, played left back, left wing, left-wing back, right back, right wing back, right wing, center forward and wherever the manager told him to play (AKA things Di Maria did not do).

marko wrote: Young is actually a solid left wing back, his crosses are priceless, he and Valencia make a solid combination, can remember during LVG reign, Young made so many assists with his pin point delivery crosses, hope Mourinho uses him more
Last edited by wiseone on Wed Mar 22, 2017 2:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
marko
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by marko »

wiseone wrote:The irony is that the four best players of the LVG era were DDG, Mike Smalling, Young, and Fellaini. A whipped and dipping young cross followed by a Fellaini header at the far post was a successful weapon for Man Utd during that time. It sounds odd, but Ashley Young pushed Di Maria onto the bench and eventually out of the club. A guy who won the Champions League and played in the World Cup final months earlier, was kept out of the team by....Ashley Young!

Young tracks back, crosses the ball, works hard, played left back, left wing, left-wing back, right back, right wing back, right wing, center forward and wherever the manager told him to play (AKA things Di Maria did not do).

marko wrote: Young is actually a solid left wing back, his crosses are priceless, he and Valencia make a solid combination, can remember during LVG reign, Young made so many assists with his pin point delivery crosses, hope Mourinho uses him more
Exactly, I don't think Young is good on the right side but the left side, he is quite good, he even defends well, something tells me Mourinho will keep him, he and Valencia are workaholics, every team needs these types of utility players
So angry Nigeria got kicked out of the world cup once again, i nearly told my wife that i caught my girlfriend with another man today!

Marko
Ugbowo
Egg
Egg

Post by Ugbowo »

wiseone wrote:How did Man Utd contrive to draw those games against Bournemouth, Burnley, Arsenal, Hull, Everton, West Ham, Liverpool, and Stoke after laying siege to the opponents' goal. Combination of bad finishing, heroic goalkeeping by the opposition GK, and Jose trying to win 1-0 (rather than go for a killer second goal) led to them repeatedly conceding late/last minute equalisers. 14 very valuable points dropped in games they should have won by a canter, but drew.

If Man Utd finish 5th but end the season with the EFL Cup in the cabinet, what will happen to Jose? LVG was fired for winning the FA Cup and finishing 5th (on goal difference - same points as Man City).
:rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:

Was he attacking too much or not attacking enough? Make up your mind bro.
danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by danfo driver »

Ugbowo wrote:
wiseone wrote:How did Man Utd contrive to draw those games against Bournemouth, Burnley, Arsenal, Hull, Everton, West Ham, Liverpool, and Stoke after laying siege to the opponents' goal. Combination of bad finishing, heroic goalkeeping by the opposition GK, and Jose trying to win 1-0 (rather than go for a killer second goal) led to them repeatedly conceding late/last minute equalisers. 14 very valuable points dropped in games they should have won by a canter, but drew.

:rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:

:rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:
wiseone
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by wiseone »

The part where I said Jose "tries to win 1-0" is very relevant. He attacks until his team takes the lead, then as soon as that happens - he tries to shut up shop, takes off attacking players, and defends the lead by doing things like playing 4 central defenders and having 7 defenders on the pitch simultaneously (the sort of tactics that cost him points against Arsenal, Stoke, West Ham, Everton, etc and nearly cost him the game against Boro).
Ugbowo wrote: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:

balo
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle
Re:

Post by balo »

green4life wrote:
Played 343 yesterday. Yep. After criticizing Conte, he's now shamelessly copying the man's style. :agree:

No mind the guy. Goes about complaining about Chelsea playing defensive, then reverts to doing the same.

Anyways, he is a Chelsea great, so SB appreciates one of hers continuing or copying her style.
If Noah had been truly wise, he would have swatted those two flies. -- Helen Castle

http://i42.tinypic.com/210hk01.jpg
benteke
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re:

Post by benteke »

green4life wrote:

i know you are having a laugh with us, but i think 3-whatever formation doesn't belong to anyone, i could argue Mourinho is building on and altering the 3-5-2 that LVG played for a while in his 1st season at United, it was based on using Young and Valencia as wingbacks :taunt: :biggrin:
wiseone
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by wiseone »

Replayed that Liverpool home defeat to Swansea for my viewing pleasure. :D Man that was sweet. Never gets old.
wiseone wrote:The last 2 weeks have been good for Man Utd fans:

*Man Utd through to the final of the EFL Cup
*Man Utd through to round 5 of the FA Cup
*Liverpool knocked out of the EFL Cup
*Liverpool knocked out of the FA Cup
*Liverpool losing at home to Southampton, Swansea, and Wolves
*Liverpool losing away to Hull
*Leeds knocked out of the FA Cup by a non-league team

I know that many Man Utd fans taped the games that Liverpool and Leeds lost, and play them back with a glass of red wine in hand so they can enjoy the tears of the Leeds and Liverpool fans (which are as sweet as honey for Man Utd fans
).
wiseone
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by wiseone »

LVG-esque injury days are back:

Jonesy - toe injury (probably out for the rest of the season)*
Mike Smalling - calf injury (probably out for the rest of the season) - he is the one that injured Jones in England training
Johnny Kills - groin surgery (out for amonth)
Pogba - hamstring injury
Andrew Smith - suspended
Zlatan - suspended

I have been saying for ages that it was not a very good idea to sell 3 central midfielders in 1 year (leaving only Fellaini and Carrick available for this weekend's game against WBA). As a result Man Utd started with 4 defenders (including two from the youth team) on the bench.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/footba ... ining.html
pajimoh
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by pajimoh »

wiseone wrote:LVG-esque injury days are back:

Jonesy - toe injury (probably out for the rest of the season)*
Mike Smalling - calf injury (probably out for the rest of the season) - he is the one that injured Jones in England training
Johnny Kills - groin surgery (out for amonth)
Pogba - hamstring injury
Andrew Smith - suspended
Zlatan - suspended

I have been saying for ages that it was not a very good idea to sell 3 central midfielders in 1 year (leaving only Fellaini and Carrick available for this weekend's game against WBA). As a result Man Utd started with 4 defenders (including two from the youth team) on the bench.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/footba ... ining.html
So you talk about LVG-esque" injury and decide to add suspended players to your list just for maximum drama. Yep the list is quite long. You should have added players out on loans to the list. :tic:
Super Eagles - Fly Above The Storm!!!
danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by danfo driver »

Manchester fans, are you guys worried about Luke Shaw?