Coach Paul Hamilton reported dead.

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Siddonlook11
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: Coach Paul Hamilton reported dead.

Post by Siddonlook11 »

RIP
"The first key to greatness is to be in reality with what we appear to be ."

...Socrates
Gotti
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Gotti »

RIP Coach....
#ENDSARS #BLM
#ENDPOLICEBRUTALITY

#FREESENEGAL
Toxicarrow
Egg
Egg

Post by Toxicarrow »

RIP Coach !
Check out Sooting's website:
https://shootingstarssc.com/
aruako1
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by aruako1 »

RIP Coach. I knew his family very well as his wife had an eatery at Barracks Surulere. He had been ill for a while. May he rest in peace.
Mister Dolly
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Mister Dolly »

Nigeria, a country that neglects heroes and celebrates thieves and sycophants!! Another sporting hero gone I bet with hardly any support or recognition from the country he served admirably well.

Rest in peace Coach Paul Hamilton. May God comfort your loved ones!
"Because of Jesus, it's a glorious life...."
Waffiman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Waffiman »

RIP. :( :(
Arsène Wenger at Arsenal, 1996 to 2018. I was there.
jette1
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by jette1 »

Lets be serious for a second here; fact is if only a quarter of you guys that went studies abroad give up your European/American/ Australian/ artificial state of well being and went home for temporary hardship or long term hardship in exchange for the good of follow-up generations we would not be where we are today. That's what Chinese students did in the 80's. Every Chinese student I finished bachelors degree with went home.
make peaceful change impossible make violent change inevitable.

"It depends on what the meaning of the word 'is' is. If the--if he--if 'is' means is and never has been, that is not--that is one thing. If it means there is none, that was a completely true statement....Now, if someone had asked me on that day, are you having any kind of sexual relations with Ms. Lewinsky, that is, asked me a question in the present tense, I would have said no. And it would have been completely true."
maceo4
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by maceo4 »

RIP Coach!
Super Eagus 4 Life!
Made in the image of God that's a selfie!
hestonap
Egg
Egg

Post by hestonap »

RIP Coach - I remember the disrespect the FA showed the man by bringinga Mr Westerhof prior to the final Italia 90 qualifier. I also remember how a certain Manfred Horner was brought out of no where prior to Maroc 88 despite your prior work. I also remember your Flying Eagles team of Moscow 85
A gentle unassuming man but a patriot nonetheless. Sleep well.
God bless and keep Nigeria and make his face shine on her undeserving as she may be.
jtosho
Egg
Egg

Post by jtosho »

RIP Coach
mystic
Egg
Egg

Post by mystic »

We've lost another great Nigerian soul.

RIP.
oloye
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by oloye »

The Wonder Man Goes Home...
The passing of Coach Paul Hamilton is saddening. He died in bits, a leg was amputated to save him. He died. I wonder what passed his mind as he withered.
In Nigeria, fame is inadequate to cater for you. Patriotism is a myth. The pioneer coach of Nigeria's female football team in 1991, after the failed bid for a 1990 World Cup, Hamilton was unsung in his dying days.
A thorough look at the books would place him among the many coaches the Nigeria Football Association used, dumped, and refused to pay their entitlement. He served Nigeria, Nigeria shunned him.
On the night of 12 August 1989, I drove in a daze from the National Stadium to the mortuary of the General Hospital, Lagos, cutting through Apapa to the Durbar Hotel, in Festac, as it was known then to meet coach Hamilton in tears - Sam Okwaraji was dead. I knew more than two hours earlier, but I wanted to get as many sides of that story as possible.
Beside Hamilton was a meal he ordered, obviously before he heard, it was untouched. I didn't say a word to him, it was not a day for words. I saw enough to enter another confirmation to a sad day.
Weeks after, the determination to beat Cameroon was shattered in the most bizarre manner, not on the pitch. Hamilton was told Clemence Westerhof was the new coach.
I rode in the same bus with a nervous Westerhof who pelted drums of the supporters club to calm his nerves. It was a tense drive from L'Hotel de Meridien to the Stade d' Omnisport, where the Eagles lost.
When I ask Hamilton what happened, he told me, "Dianyi nmuo ereghi ihe enyere ya." Loosely translated, the spirit rejected our offering, our best wasn't good enough. His fluency in Igbo was first grade, some of his years were in Onitsha.
Many would not know that Hamilton was a key player, he scored, in the 1968 Olympic team that terrorised Brazil to a 3-3 draw in the tasking altitude of Mexico. Nigeria led 3-0 in the first half.
At what would have been a historic recap of the event, 20 years on, Nigeria was paired against Brazil at the Seoul Olympics in 1988. I had done a preview predicting a possible repeat.
You can only imagine the anticipations when the first half ended goalless. Mexico was on my mind, a win was even possible. Some of our foreign colleagues were lining up for our perspectives to the story. I was waving a story around Nigeria at the Olympian apex, apogee, peak, zenith.
In the next 45 minutes, Brazil made the score 4-0. The biggest story in the international media was how Nigerian journalists wanted to beat up Manfred Horner, the German coach who superintended the smashing of the Eagles.
Adieu Wonder Boy, generations of top Nigerian players owe their career to you. One of them Emeka Ezeugo has paid a tribute that many others owe you.
The Wonder Boy, the Wonder Man, goes home leaving us to ponder and wonder why our football is in a wander.
By Ikeddy Isiguzo.
"There is big pressure at this club as you cannot be like the manager at Arsenal and ask for five years to try and to win one trophy" - Jose Mourinho

.... I believe in God. I try to be a good man so He can have a bit of time to give me a hand when I need it - Jose Mourinho
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

oloye wrote:The Wonder Man Goes Home...
The passing of Coach Paul Hamilton is saddening. He died in bits, a leg was amputated to save him. He died. I wonder what passed his mind as he withered.
In Nigeria, fame is inadequate to cater for you. Patriotism is a myth. The pioneer coach of Nigeria's female football team in 1991, after the failed bid for a 1990 World Cup, Hamilton was unsung in his dying days.
A thorough look at the books would place him among the many coaches the Nigeria Football Association used, dumped, and refused to pay their entitlement. He served Nigeria, Nigeria shunned him.
On the night of 12 August 1989, I drove in a daze from the National Stadium to the mortuary of the General Hospital, Lagos, cutting through Apapa to the Durbar Hotel, in Festac, as it was known then to meet coach Hamilton in tears - Sam Okwaraji was dead. I knew more than two hours earlier, but I wanted to get as many sides of that story as possible.
Beside Hamilton was a meal he ordered, obviously before he heard, it was untouched. I didn't say a word to him, it was not a day for words. I saw enough to enter another confirmation to a sad day.
Weeks after, the determination to beat Cameroon was shattered in the most bizarre manner, not on the pitch. Hamilton was told Clemence Westerhof was the new coach.
I rode in the same bus with a nervous Westerhof who pelted drums of the supporters club to calm his nerves. It was a tense drive from L'Hotel de Meridien to the Stade d' Omnisport, where the Eagles lost.
When I ask Hamilton what happened, he told me, "Dianyi nmuo ereghi ihe enyere ya." Loosely translated, the spirit rejected our offering, our best wasn't good enough. His fluency in Igbo was first grade, some of his years were in Onitsha.
Many would not know that Hamilton was a key player, he scored, in the 1968 Olympic team that terrorised Brazil to a 3-3 draw in the tasking altitude of Mexico. Nigeria led 3-0 in the first half.
At what would have been a historic recap of the event, 20 years on, Nigeria was paired against Brazil at the Seoul Olympics in 1988. I had done a preview predicting a possible repeat.
You can only imagine the anticipations when the first half ended goalless. Mexico was on my mind, a win was even possible. Some of our foreign colleagues were lining up for our perspectives to the story. I was waving a story around Nigeria at the Olympian apex, apogee, peak, zenith.
In the next 45 minutes, Brazil made the score 4-0. The biggest story in the international media was how Nigerian journalists wanted to beat up Manfred Horner, the German coach who superintended the smashing of the Eagles.
Adieu Wonder Boy, generations of top Nigerian players owe their career to you. One of them Emeka Ezeugo has paid a tribute that many others owe you.
The Wonder Boy, the Wonder Man, goes home leaving us to ponder and wonder why our football is in a wander.
By Ikeddy Isiguzo.
What a wonderful tribute from Isiguzo. Oloye, the guy is right that Hamilton could speak Igbo. His career started with Onitsha whom he represented in the Challenge Cup before being recruited by ECN Lagos, I believe. I spent significant time with him at the National Stadium Surulere as I was writing a book. He spoke on the women NT and then about the 1968 Olympics where fondly told the story of his team mate Joe Aghoghovia (Police) who apparently could take violent shots and scored a hat trick or perhaps 4 goals in the walloping of Thailand during a preparatory game before the 1968 Olympics.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
oloye
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by oloye »

Enugu II wrote:
By Ikeddy Isiguzo.
What a wonderful tribute from Isiguzo. Oloye, the guy is right that Hamilton could speak Igbo. His career started with Onitsha whom he represented in the Challenge Cup before being recruited by ECN Lagos, I believe. I spent significant time with him at the National Stadium Surulere as I was writing a book. He spoke on the women NT and then about the 1968 Olympics where fondly told the story of his team mate Joe Aghoghovia (Police) who apparently could take violent shots and scored a hat trick or perhaps 4 goals in the walloping of Thailand during a preparatory game before the 1968 Olympics.
Violent shots like Thunder Balogun :D :thumbs:
"There is big pressure at this club as you cannot be like the manager at Arsenal and ask for five years to try and to win one trophy" - Jose Mourinho

.... I believe in God. I try to be a good man so He can have a bit of time to give me a hand when I need it - Jose Mourinho
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

Oloye,

Na real shot oo! As Hamilton described it, the Nigerian guys were laughing as the Thai goalie yelled at his defenders whenever Aghoghovia set up for a shot.
oloye wrote:
Enugu II wrote:
By Ikeddy Isiguzo.
Violent shots like Thunder Balogun :D :thumbs:
Last edited by Enugu II on Fri Apr 07, 2017 9:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle

Post by Bigpokey24 »

RIP
SuperEagles

© Bigpokey24, most loved on CE
My post are with no warranties and confers zero rights. Get out your feelings
It is not authorized by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use.
All rights aren't reserved
Obong
Egg
Egg

Post by Obong »

RIP Gentleman Paul Hamilton. You left your imprint on Nigerian football as a great international player and coach.
"WE ARE THE SUPER EAGLES!!!"
1naija
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by 1naija »

RIP
The Lord is my Shepherd. I shall not be in want.
Ebyboy
Egg
Egg

Post by Ebyboy »

May he rest in peace in the bosom of our Lord.

For many years upon this spot
You heard the sound of a merry bell
Those who were rash and those who were not
Lost and made a spot of cash
He who gave the game away
May he Brynn in hell and rue the day

Bryne V. Deane [1937]
Man Ataye
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Man Ataye »

Whaaattt?????? Had been wondering about him over the yrs. Rip to a great man.
The wars fought in the world are only a reflection of the wars fought within people....
Field Marshall Ogolo
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Field Marshall Ogolo »

What a dangerous job.

R.I.P
Kuku Ngbendu Wa Za Banga
asabatex
Egg
Egg

Post by asabatex »

RIP
balo
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by balo »

RIP.
If Noah had been truly wise, he would have swatted those two flies. -- Helen Castle

http://i42.tinypic.com/210hk01.jpg