KWESHON BREWING AMONGST MY WHATSAPP FRIENDS AGAIN...

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

paj
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle
KWESHON BREWING AMONGST MY WHATSAPP FRIENDS AGAIN...

Post by paj »

..so the argument of who was better between Pele and Messi spilled into the argument of sport science enhancing today's athletes so it's an unfair comparison(in my opinion)....so I asked if without the help of science if current athletes/footballers are truly superior to those in the past? I asked specifically if Odegbami in his prime would crack the current SE and someone said VM go bench am...true? or false? :shock:
The Brunch Mixtape Project
Available on all major streaming platforms :)
anointed
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle
Re: KWESHON BREWING AMONGST MY WHATSAPP FRIENDS AGAIN...

Post by anointed »

Show me your WhatsApp friend and I will tell you what apeteshi you have been taking
TOUCH NOT MY ANOINTED...
For the preaching of the cross is to them that perish foolishness; but unto us which are saved it is the power of God. For it is written, I will destroy the wisdom of the wise, and will bring to nothing the understanding...hath not God made foolish the wisdom of this world? 21 For after that in the wisdom of God the world by wisdom knew not God, it pleased God by the foolishness of preaching to save them that believe
niyi
Egg
Egg

Post by niyi »

Actually a pretty good question but I don't have an answer.

Messi in particular, gets a lot of flak because of his use of HGH in his mid teens... that's probably still helping now in some sense. The supplements and healthcare are a lot better for sure. Then you get into apparel - minor things like boots and socks matter (https://www.si.com/planet-futbol/2015/1 ... lank-usmnt#)... heck even a nice breathable jersey is an advantage over the 100% cotton shirts Pele probably wore in the 60s. These questions are always difficult to answer... I wonder if there's a way to truly test this in a scientific manner though.
Ona t'Olorun ngba soro
lati se ise re
ona re enikan ko mo
awamaridi ni!
Comrade Machel
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Comrade Machel »

Heading the ball was a suicidal proposition in the 1960s those leather balls were as hard and as heavy a rock. Never mind shooting from distance. I doubt they even took supplements back then they just got on with it. The tackles strikers had to deal with were criminal
Ratlala :thumbs: :D

https://youtu.be/8CZLsYase0Q
pajimoh
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by pajimoh »

paj wrote:..so the argument of who was better between Pele and Messi spilled into the argument of sport science enhancing today's athletes so it's an unfair comparison(in my opinion)....so I asked if without the help of science if current athletes/footballers are truly superior to those in the past? I asked specifically if Odegbami in his prime would crack the current SE and someone said VM go bench am...true? or false? :shock:
When you have brainless, drug crazed dummies as friends, all you get are questions and not solutions.

:tic:
Super Eagles - Fly Above The Storm!!!
Mr Shows
Egg
Egg

Post by Mr Shows »

The game as a whole has evolved, even the viewing technology (watching skillful players do their thing in black and white, doesn't quite compare to watching in HD today), so the very basis of any comparison is flawed.

I guess to an extent, it's only those who were actually privileged to have watched Pele in his prime and are still around to see Messi strut his stuff today that can truly judge.
Skylolo
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Skylolo »

Growth hormones and the likes, does that improve the opposition Messi is facing too?

At the end of the day you play against the people in your generation. Pele may have the numbers and even trophies sef depending on which ones people value. I don't have an issue with people who think he is the greatest...

BUT I have not seen anybody else score the sheer amount of amazing goals, play 7,11,10 and 9 with such ease and create + score with the same ease and efficiency as Messi. We should enjoy this guy for as long as it lasts....
To God be the glory
Obong
Egg
Egg

Post by Obong »

Pele was, in my view, better. Messi is still a one-foited wonder that is probably not better than another left footed wonder, Maradona. As for Odegbami not cracking the Super Eagles line-up of today, P-L-E-A-S-E! Odegbami, Muda, Chukwu, Keshi, Yekini, Etim Esin, Okocha and Kanu will walk into any Super Eagles line-up of any generation.
"WE ARE THE SUPER EAGLES!!!"
Skylolo
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Skylolo »

Mr Shows wrote:The game as a whole has evolved, even the viewing technology (watching skillful players do their thing in black and white, doesn't quite compare to watching in HD today), so the very basis of any comparison is flawed.

I guess to an extent, it's only those who were actually privileged to have watched Pele in his prime and are still around to see Messi strut his stuff today that can truly judge.
I never thought of this before..... :rotf: :rotf:

Excellent post..thanks!
To God be the glory
paj
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by paj »

pajimoh wrote:
paj wrote:..so the argument of who was better between Pele and Messi spilled into the argument of sport science enhancing today's athletes so it's an unfair comparison(in my opinion)....so I asked if without the help of science if current athletes/footballers are truly superior to those in the past? I asked specifically if Odegbami in his prime would crack the current SE and someone said VM go bench am...true? or false? :shock:
When you have brainless, drug crazed dummies as friends, all you get are questions and not solutions.

:tic:
damn....he's still alive... :evil: when he turned into a cockroach and tried to eavesdrop in our meeting I thought my Timberland got him good.. :twisted: ...need to buy Bruno Maglis now :mad:
paj
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by paj »

Samora Machel wrote:Heading the ball was a suicidal proposition in the 1960s those leather balls were as hard and as heavy a rock. Never mind shooting from distance. I doubt they even took supplements back then they just got on with it. The tackles strikers had to deal with were criminal
...ahaa!!!! That explains why PaJimoh's IQ dropped to 8 right after he went up for a corner kick! :blink:
paj
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by paj »

Besides football, someone also asked about any other sport...and one guy mentioned Jesse Owens. He ran a 10:30 100M...however the shoes and turn were different..and in the movie I watched athletes drank beer back then even during competition
YemiBrazil
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by YemiBrazil »

All I know is that the mere sight of Christian Chukwu & co with their yam tuber legs would have made Victor Moses opt for a better career as a reggae singer. Tufiakwa :curse:
*** Every child is A STAR! ***

Only Mister Johnson https://www.amazon.com/Only-Mister-Johnson-Okey-Chigbo/dp/B09DMW3RM9
----------------------------------------------------------------
"A revolution in a personal context, is a turn around of a predominant way of thinking or doing things TO BETTER YOURSELF and effectively BETTER YOUR NATION!!!"
----------------------------------------------------------------
* Progressive Federalism * Personal Revolution * Industrialization *
bushboy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by bushboy »

It works both ways. The advance in science has also made defenders bigger, stronger, faster. They are not the slow, out of shape men that Pele faced in his day.
I won't even address the Odegbami issue. I personally have never rated him highly. He was Pius Ikedia before Pius Ikedia.
Bushboy's bushmen : 1.Isaac Success 2. Terem Moffi 3. Victor Boniface 4. Samuel Omorodion. 5. Samson Tijani. 6. Rafiu Durosinmi.
Who will be next?
Comrade Machel
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Comrade Machel »

bushboy wrote:It works both ways. The advance in science has also made defenders bigger, stronger, faster. They are not the slow, out of shape men that Pele faced in his day.
I won't even address the Odegbami issue. I personally have never rated him highly. He was Pius Ikedia before Pius Ikedia.
But defenders today can't do a quarter of what defenders Peles era defenders got away with. In 1950s there were no subs in football you just took it painfully
Ratlala :thumbs: :D

https://youtu.be/8CZLsYase0Q
Lolly
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Lolly »

bushboy wrote:It works both ways. The advance in science has also made defenders bigger, stronger, faster. They are not the slow, out of shape men that Pele faced in his day.
This must be the biggest joke on CE. :lol: :lol: :lol:

No right-sided midfielder/attacker in Nigeria's history is anywhere near Odegbami's quality, and that includes Finidi.
"For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life"

"If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then will I hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and will heal their land."
paj
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by paj »

I used to think your posts had an iota of logic until you posted this. You obviously must have watched through heavy Egusi/Palm oil stains via your neighbor's curtain because the player you just berated would dust anyone on that wing in any SE generation: Fact, not feelings
Pa