How do you rate Gerd Müller?

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

kofi86
Egg
Egg
Re: How do you rate Gerd Müller?

Post by kofi86 »

Some of us watch and understand football while others don´t. Of course Ronaldo is scoring more long distance goals. You should read about actual footballs, how they are made and since when they are made like they are now. Do you think guys like Juninho would have existed in the 70ies?
"If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!"
Waffiman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Waffiman »

Bigpokey24 wrote:
kofi86 wrote:The reason I opened this thread is because of Cristiano Ronaldo. Lots of people argue that he scores so many goals and is one of the best players ever, yet Gerd Müller, who is hardly mentioned in such discussions, had an even better scoring record than Ronaldo.
you need help if you are comparing muller to Cron..my goodness
Actually, you need help. Indeed, it shows you are not ignorant and do not understand the poster who opened the thread.

E,G, We had different rules when Muller played to when Cron played. Cron is not even a striker, but we all talk about his goals. In Gerd Muller's time will Cron get the goals from his position? For me, it is not a contest. No chance.

I believe it wrong to compare Cron to Gerd Muller.
Arsène Wenger at Arsenal, 1996 to 2018. I was there.
Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle

Post by Bigpokey24 »

The best finisher in the history of football is Cron, no contest. The guy plays as a winger/wide forward. Imagine in he played the number 9 role.. waffi stop embarrassing yourself, you should know better
SuperEagles

© Bigpokey24, most loved on CE
My post are with no warranties and confers zero rights. Get out your feelings
It is not authorized by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use.
All rights aren't reserved
wiseone
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by wiseone »

Muller's goals per game ratio is incredible. He was a pure goalscorer. One of those players that does nothing or can go "missing" for 89 minutes then score the winning goal in the 90th minute. Strikers like that (RVN, Lineker, Pancev, McCoist, Huntelaar, Hernandez) are a dying breed. These days strikers need to be multi-function players and defend from the front (Villa, Lewandowski, Suarez, Welbeck, Vardy).
Waffiman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Waffiman »

wiseone wrote:Muller's goals per game ratio is incredible. He was a pure goalscorer. One of those players that does nothing or can go "missing" for 89 minutes then score the winning goal in the 90th minute. Strikers like that (RVN, Lineker, Pancev, McCoist, Huntelaar, Hernandez) are a dying breed. These days strikers need to be multi-function players and defend from the front (Villa, Lewandowski, Suarez, Welbeck, Vardy).
Do not forget, it was much harder to score then. The offside rule was different for starters.
Arsène Wenger at Arsenal, 1996 to 2018. I was there.
wiseone
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by wiseone »

Great point. Add to that: GKs being able to pick up back passes, two footed tackles, and tackles from behind were not only legal, but were actively encouraged, and part of many teams' tactics!

That context:

1) Puts the goalscoring achievements of players from the past like Maradona, Lineker, Papin, Van Basten look even more incredible; and

2) Make me wonder how Messi, Xavi, Iniesta etc would have got on playing against Gentile, Baresi, Butcher, Souness, and such other shin saboteurs.
Waffiman wrote: Do not forget, it was much harder to score then. The offside rule was different for starters.
ohsee
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by ohsee »

Der Bomber was the greatest pure finisher of all time. We Africans tend to underestimate the difficult skill of putting the ball in the net, and putting it there CONSISTENTLY. We tend to value aimless dribbling over goalscoring, forgetting that putting the ball in the net is the most difficult thing to do in a football game. :idea:

We tend to mock such people--somebody here called Muller an "opportunist," a well-known bad word in Naija footie, and I had a friend who used to laugh at Gary Lineker and Alan Shearer in those days. But Muller, Shearer and Lineker were automatic starters for Germany and England, and moreover, Muller won a World Cup for Germany when he scored the winning goal against Holland in the 1974 Final. Muller did not just score goals; he scored key goals, goals that mattered. England will never forget Muller hooking the ball into the roof of the net in extra time for Germany's third and winning goal after England had led 2:0 in the first 50 mins of the quarter finals of 1970.

Let us learn to appreciate the most difficult skill on the field. We probably have many Gerd Mullers in Nigeria, but they never get a chance because of our over emphasis on dribbling skills.
kofi86
Egg
Egg

Post by kofi86 »

stumbled upon this article..
Should Gerd Müller Be In The Greatest Of All Time Discussion?

When looking at the number of career club goals, it is immediately apparent that Müller’s record demands respect even when compared to the most prolific goalscorers in history. Indeed, he is second only to the great Pelé and has scored more than double the amount of club goals scored by Diego Maradona. Given that the vast majority of Müller’s goals were scored in Europe where the standard of football was generally considered to be higher than domestic football in Pelé’s native Brazil, then this record is all the more impressive. Of course, given their outrageous scoring feats in recent years, then it is perhaps likely that Lionel Messi and Cristiano Ronaldo may usurp Müller (and Pelé) in the coming years, but for now, a close second behind Pelé marks a very strong showing for the German in this comparison.

In this analysis, Müller again fares very well, with an outstanding ratio of 0.91 goals per game, putting him in third place amongst our chosen players. His record is all the more impressive when it is considered that he scored 0.18 goals per game more than Cristiano Ronaldo currently has, and 0.07 goals per game more than Lionel Messi currently has, two players whose scoring records are (rightly) deemed extraordinary.
It is clear that in terms of performance on the international stage, Müller really does stand out even amongst these legends of the game. He is third on our list in terms of goals scored behind only Pelé and Cristiano Ronaldo, having notched 68 times for Germany, including 10 at the 1970 World Cup and the winning goal in the 1974 World Cup final. His goals per game ratio is even better, and he is the only man on our list to have scored more than a goal per game in international football. Indeed, his ratio is 26.80% better than his nearest challenger Pelé and almost three times as high as Diego Maradona’s international scoring record.
http://www.thestatszone.com/articles/sh ... discussion
"If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!"
Cristao II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Cristao II »

When I was younger, I used to study him. He was one of the first names on my lips when I think about top top goal scorers.
"Will we next create false gods to rule over us? How proud have we become, and how blind."

Primary: Lenovo Y410p: i5-4200M | 2GB Nvidia GT755M | 16GB DDR3L | 1000GB SSD | N2230 | LG24MP76 - Windows 10 64-Bit
Secondary: Dell Inspirion 1545: Core2Duo | 4GB RAM | 320GB 5400RPM - Linux Mint Cinnamon
Tertiary: Lenovo Legion 5 Pro: Ryzen 7 5800H | 32GB DDR4 | 2000GB SSD | 8GB NVidia RTX3070 - Windows 11 Pro
HTC U11+ - Xiaomi Mi8
gochino
Egg
Egg

Post by gochino »

kofi86 wrote:
platinum wrote:
joao wrote:
Waffiman wrote:
joao wrote:
Waffiman wrote:
joao wrote:Muller fits into his time and team and is always well positioned.
Though not always involved in the build-up, but knows how to tuck the ball in.
Great talent that fits into the system of his time.
Still to me, one of the greatest strikers. His record speaks for itself. Born to score goals.
Just like Inzaghi of Milan/Italy.
Far better than Inzaghi. :D :D :D :D
Maybe with goals scored, but they do exact same thing. Invisible most of the game, and gbam! scores.
Both know how to position themselves, and rarely miss a chance. Very opportunistic.

The original miroslav klose :rotf:

But Miroslav Klose was one of the most unselfish top strikers I have seen.
During his 3 Bundesliga seasons with Werder Bremen he scored 53 goals and assisted 39.
I thought I was the only one who noticed this. Ronaldo has become that type of player, anonymous for large parts of the game and suddenly bam!