A MEANINGLESS MATCH: SOTON v MAN UTD

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

tfco
Eagle
Eagle
Re: A MEANINGLESS MATCH: SOTON v MAN UTD

Post by tfco »

Coach wrote:Man-made meaningless. Mourinho, a master of casuistry, has cunningly convinced the world to regard the domestic campaign as a bothersome chore of absolute irrelevance. A scrutinized stare at the last 10 or so games reveals a classic case of the Asafa Powells. A decent run slowly losing pace with each stride, with each passing second the distance grows, 1 metre, 2 metres, 3 metres. Recognising the race is lost long before the finish line, pip goes the hamstring conveniently and the commentary becomes more of ifs and injuries, than the insurmountable distance that was never to be closed.

United can win the Europa and close the campaign with two trophies, all be they two of the least desirable, akin to a one night stand with the less than chief bridesmaid. Inebriated almost as heavily as her waistline. For the money spent, for all the rigmarole in the transfer window, his bold declaration of needing three players and the hubris having acquired said three players, the Premiership performance has been disgraceful. Who gazzumps Real's Ronaldo outlay to finish sixth, albeit with a Carling Cup and Eurovision song contest gold medal tucked under the armpit? Mancunia will only be fooled for so long. A repeat next season and he'll be sacked, retrospectively confirming the shambles he oversaw the season prior.
it will definitely NOT be the same next season.

AFCON 2024 L-O-S-E-R-S

They did not CEDIS coming
Naira Did We :rotf: :rotf:

Chief Ogbunigwe
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Chief Ogbunigwe »

tfco wrote:
Coach wrote:Man-made meaningless. Mourinho, a master of casuistry, has cunningly convinced the world to regard the domestic campaign as a bothersome chore of absolute irrelevance. A scrutinized stare at the last 10 or so games reveals a classic case of the Asafa Powells. A decent run slowly losing pace with each stride, with each passing second the distance grows, 1 metre, 2 metres, 3 metres. Recognising the race is lost long before the finish line, pip goes the hamstring conveniently and the commentary becomes more of ifs and injuries, than the insurmountable distance that was never to be closed.

United can win the Europa and close the campaign with two trophies, all be they two of the least desirable, akin to a one night stand with the less than chief bridesmaid. Inebriated almost as heavily as her waistline. For the money spent, for all the rigmarole in the transfer window, his bold declaration of needing three players and the hubris having acquired said three players, the Premiership performance has been disgraceful. Who gazzumps Real's Ronaldo outlay to finish sixth, albeit with a Carling Cup and Eurovision song contest gold medal tucked under the armpit? Mancunia will only be fooled for so long. A repeat next season and he'll be sacked, retrospectively confirming the shambles he oversaw the season prior.
it will definitely NOT be the same next season.
we all hope so, for the sake of a competitive EPL. Well, it likely won't be so if he gets Greizman, Mbappe, and all those players you guys have been listing.
AFCON 2019 sweet o
Barren for 37 yrs no good o

New member and Titled Chief, Distant Gunners Consortium.
"This is an island surrounded by water, big water, ocean water."
benteke
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by benteke »

marko wrote:The difference between a Barcelona , Real Madrid is they do not tolerate passengers in their team especially in the striking department, united are ruled by too much English sentiment, that why united have been left behind in the European elite and are playing catch up, Real Madrid always tries to freshen things up every year, Barca the same, well I guess things started going downhill the day they decided to give the united job to a Scottish man based on sentiment rather than suitability, we have not recovered from that silly mistake

Man United started really falling way behind Europe's elite after Alex Ferguson started replacing Ronaldo and Tevez with just 'good' to average players. That's when the likes of Young, Jones, Valencia etc started coming in, and meanwhile an ageing Scholes was still not replaced.
One can argue that the only world class players who where brought in by Ferguson after Ronaldo left were De Gea and RVP.
It continued to work in the EPL but even in the CL final in 2011 it was now clear that United was behind.
Now is a long hard struggle to get back to the top, and that's why the club is paying over the odds, but it has to be done.
pajimoh
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by pajimoh »

I like the way tfco gives Man United matches some "excuse" headlines like "meaningless match", "C Team", "Injury Hit Squad" etc
Super Eagles - Fly Above The Storm!!!
Chief Ogbunigwe
Eaglet
Eaglet

benteke wrote:
marko wrote:The difference between a Barcelona , Real Madrid is they do not tolerate passengers in their team especially in the striking department, united are ruled by too much English sentiment, that why united have been left behind in the European elite and are playing catch up, Real Madrid always tries to freshen things up every year, Barca the same, well I guess things started going downhill the day they decided to give the united job to a Scottish man based on sentiment rather than suitability, we have not recovered from that silly mistake

Man United started really falling way behind Europe's elite after Alex Ferguson started replacing Ronaldo and Tevez with just 'good' to average players. That's when the likes of Young, Jones, Valencia etc started coming in, and meanwhile an ageing Scholes was still not replaced.
One can argue that the only world class players who where brought in by Ferguson after Ronaldo left were De Gea and RVP.
It continued to work in the EPL but even in the CL final in 2011 it was now clear that United was behind.
Now is a long hard struggle to get back to the top, and that's why the club is paying over the odds, but it has to be done.
I disagree. Sir Alex won and won and won with Brits like Giggs, Scholes, Beckham, etc mixed with top world talent. Remember in his last 2 years, he lost to Aguero's final kick, and won the following season. Somebody brought Di Maria, Falcao, Mata, Schweini, Memphis, etc, and failed to perform like Man U. Can't blame sir Alex for that. You guys need to find a True Coach and work with him. My personal dislike for Mourinho aside, he can be a great Man U coach as soon as he realizes that Man U is bigger than Mourinho. Not just to proclaim in words. He needs to believe and live it. His quip after Man U lost to Arsenal was funny, but classless, because it was not about Man U vs Arsenal, but Mourinho vs Arsenal. He could have commented on the history of the 2 teams, not the history of Mour vs Arsenal. Let the press, fans and pundits talk about pettiness like that.
AFCON 2019 sweet o

kajifu
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by kajifu »

Chief Ogbunigwe wrote:
anointed wrote:Nope. Rome saved the referee's blushes.

Mourinho has to be careful. Yes, United can with 3 trophies this year, but when you start being unserious with games and losing multiple games in the process, it may affect your players. Not all players have instant on-off switches. Beating Chelsea was great, but failing to get one draw against Arsenal and Tottenham was just bad.
Haba Chief,the is no way this time he would have pick points against Beloved at home and Spurs was just better than Manu in every way.
Abeg which three trophies manu fit win am this season?
benteke
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by benteke »

Chief Ogbunigwe wrote:
benteke wrote:

I disagree. Sir Alex won and won and won with Brits like Giggs, Scholes, Beckham, etc mixed with top world talent. Remember in his last 2 years, he lost to Aguero's final kick, and won the following season. Somebody brought Di Maria, Falcao, Mata, Schweini, Memphis, etc, and failed to perform like Man U. Can't blame sir Alex for that. You guys need to find a True Coach and work with him. My personal dislike for Mourinho aside, he can be a great Man U coach as soon as he realizes that Man U is bigger than Mourinho. Not just to proclaim in words. He needs to believe and live it. His quip after Man U lost to Arsenal was funny, but classless, because it was not about Man U vs Arsenal, but Mourinho vs Arsenal. He could have commented on the history of the 2 teams, not the history of Mour vs Arsenal. Let the press, fans and pundits talk about pettiness like that.
You are not disagreeing with my main point that even though Fergie continued to win in the league, his squad quality was falling behind Europe's elite clubs, and this was clear in CL especially from 2012 onwards Man United was not doing very well in Europe.
Once they put Moyes all these weaknesses came to the fore.
The recent merry go round of expensive players like Di Maria etc was all the result of the squad falling way behind the best in Europe and new managers trying to solve this as soon as possible.
anointed
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by anointed »

pajimoh wrote:I like the way tfco gives Man United matches some "excuse" headlines like "meaningless match", "C Team", "Injury Hit Squad" etc
I guess tfco does it so that you will be so confused you wont even know who opens a thread like this one.
TOUCH NOT MY ANOINTED...
For the preaching of the cross is to them that perish foolishness; but unto us which are saved it is the power of God. For it is written, I will destroy the wisdom of the wise, and will bring to nothing the understanding...hath not God made foolish the wisdom of this world? 21 For after that in the wisdom of God the world by wisdom knew not God, it pleased God by the foolishness of preaching to save them that believe
Chief Ogbunigwe
Eaglet
Eaglet

anointed wrote:
pajimoh wrote:I like the way tfco gives Man United matches some "excuse" headlines like "meaningless match", "C Team", "Injury Hit Squad" etc
I guess tfco does it so that you will be so confused you wont even know who opens a thread like this one.

why are you typing like seara?
AFCON 2019 sweet o

Chief Ogbunigwe
Eaglet
Eaglet

benteke wrote:
Chief Ogbunigwe wrote:
benteke wrote:

You are not disagreeing with my main point that even though Fergie continued to win in the league, his squad quality was falling behind Europe's elite clubs, and this was clear in CL especially from 2012 onwards Man United was not doing very well in Europe.
The recent merry go round of expensive players like Di Maria etc was all the result of the squad falling way behind the best in Europe and new managers trying to solve this as soon as possible.
just like someone weakened 2 subsequent teams before handing them over to Moyes?
AFCON 2019 sweet o

benteke
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by benteke »

Chief Ogbunigwe wrote:
benteke wrote:
Chief Ogbunigwe wrote:
benteke wrote:

just like someone weakened 2 subsequent teams before handing them over to Moyes?
My point is that Europe's elite teams like Real Madrid, Bayern, Barcelona, and maybe PSG they have so much quality and world class players such that they can appoint any decent to good manager and they will continue to tick along challenging for major honours domestically and in Champions League.
United started falling behind on world class talent such that towards the end of his tenure it was now mostly Alex Ferguson's genius that was keeping United challenging for major honours.
As it stands i do not think Man United has a squad that can be compared to Europe's best teams, although i think they are trying hard to get to that level especially if you check the financial outlay.
tfco
Eagle
Eagle

Post by tfco »

:clap: :clap: :clap:

Congrats on the We Finished Above Arsenal trophy

AFCON 2024 L-O-S-E-R-S

They did not CEDIS coming
Naira Did We :rotf: :rotf:

wiseone
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by wiseone »

Utter dross. Complete bobbins. A borefest. Please can this Man Utd season end.
anointed
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by anointed »

Chief Ogbunigwe wrote:
anointed wrote:

why are you typing like seara?
Have you been stalking seara? I don't read her post. Point to pajimoh is that tfco didn't open this thread.
TOUCH NOT MY ANOINTED...
For the preaching of the cross is to them that perish foolishness; but unto us which are saved it is the power of God. For it is written, I will destroy the wisdom of the wise, and will bring to nothing the understanding...hath not God made foolish the wisdom of this world? 21 For after that in the wisdom of God the world by wisdom knew not God, it pleased God by the foolishness of preaching to save them that believe
marko
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by marko »

Mourinho will certainly learn from this season and he better do, he will not be providing the same excuses this time next season if we finish in the 6th position, he will have to go, I personally think Zlatan should not be offered a new contract, we cannot play our game around 1 individual, back in the days, you never knew where the goals were coming from, that's what made man united so special, Vidic will score from corners, Wes brown will even nick in a goal, rio will score, paul scholes will score, evra will score, Valencia will score , so this took off pressure from the front men, now we are struggling for goals, we are playing draws in home games, we defend for our lives, I will accept our injuries, it was unfortunate, I will not accept we played too many games, in 1999, we did the treble, no more excuses

We can see some positives this season, our defense is stronger but up front, we are rather woeful, that will have to change, players have to leave the club, if wayne Rooney wants to stay at united, cut his wages by 40% and play him in league cup games, if not he should leave, the 300,000 pounds a week should be offered to Griezman, we perhaps need close to 4-5 players and at least 4 players have to leave the club, I am not too sure about next week, Ajax has a 50% chance to win, we cannot score goals and this might be our undoing, yes our best 11 might start but where will the goals come from? If we do manage to win that game, it will be a massive boost for our coffers as well as attracting some world class talent and please make a world record bid for Harry Kane!!
So angry Nigeria got kicked out of the world cup once again, i nearly told my wife that i caught my girlfriend with another man today!

Marko