MATCH THREAD: NIGERIA 0 - 2 SOUTH AFRICA - FT

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

pajimoh
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: MATCH THREAD: NIGERIA 0 - 2 SOUTH AFRICA - FT

Post by pajimoh »

We lost, get over it. Do the same to them on their turf. Now the boys need to stop the ish about initiation song and dance and stay the hell focused. They act like they were at the last Nations cup
Super Eagles - Fly Above The Storm!!!
txj
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by txj »

Poor as we were, there's thankfully sufficient room to turn it around, even if one retains his reservations about the coach.

Team clearly lacked leadership both on-field and from the bench., But I would not press the panic button.
Form is temporary; Class is Permanent!
Liverpool, European Champions 2005.

We watched this very boring video, 500 times, of Sacchi doing defensive drills, using sticks and without the ball, with Maldini, Baresi and Albertini. We used to think before then that if the other players are better, you have to lose. After that we learned anything is possible – you can beat better teams by using tactics." Jurgen Klopp
txj
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by txj »

zee wrote:
akamoke wrote:I'm wondering when we will start holding the coach responsible
Cmon...............He is white :D and NATIVES don't blame massa :mrgreen:
I think its time to finally move on from this tired rhetoric...
Form is temporary; Class is Permanent!
Liverpool, European Champions 2005.

We watched this very boring video, 500 times, of Sacchi doing defensive drills, using sticks and without the ball, with Maldini, Baresi and Albertini. We used to think before then that if the other players are better, you have to lose. After that we learned anything is possible – you can beat better teams by using tactics." Jurgen Klopp
Dammy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Dammy »

Why the hatred for Onazi? He was a warrior today and the best Super Eagle. If the much loved Ndidi and Etebo had stepped up their game, maybe we would not have lost. This should be the last time Akpeyi keeps goal for Nigeria. Enyeama needs to come back and if he is still doing yanga, he should feck off! My boy, Awaziem had a stinker and Omeruo should have started, that is on Rohr. He has finally lost his first game, so those who have been waiting for a year to say "I told you so", finally have their chance forgetting that their hero lost at home to a worse team, Congo.
I am happy
marutimon
Egg
Egg

Post by marutimon »

txj wrote:Poor as we were, there's thankfully sufficient room to turn it around, even if one retains his reservations about the coach.

Team clearly lacked leadership both on-field and from the bench., But I would not press the panic button.
Honestly think Mikel in midfield would have solved the entire midfield and leadership problem.
platinum
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by platinum »

South Africa were the better coached side. Looked more coherent and had a strategy. We looked like, well we looked like a bunch of individuals who'd never met before.

Awaziem over his head. Onazi is no Mikel in ability or leadership. As a unit, we were too slow and too predictable. This one's on the coach.
Evans Bipi, had declared to the press, “Why must [Governor Amaechi] be insulting my mother, my Jesus Christ on earth?”
theYemster
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: MATCH THREAD: NIGERIA 0 - 2 SOUTH AFRICA - 2nd Half

Post by theYemster »

mapet wrote:
Spicyee wrote:
zee wrote:
Spicyee wrote:
zee wrote:
ohenhen1 wrote:We don't appreciate our own local coaches. I don't.think Rohr is better than some of our.local coaches.
Kpom..............imagine 1diots insulting heroes like Keshi :thumbs: :thumbs: and Amodu :thumbs: :thumbs:
What a hypocrite...you had no qualms denigrating Siasia... :shock:
Go and check the records...........I was Siasia's no 1 supporter, till we lost the Afcon qualis.
I turned on him when he didn't have the decency to leave.
Stop lying to yourself...the threads are still here. :lol:
What records? Zee?
The only records we have of zee are of him suckling unto Putin, Trump and my guy Klopp.
O-Qua Tangin Wann! Die with memories, not dreams.™

© ɹ ǝ ʇ s ɯ é ʎ ǝ ɥ ʇ
" ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
marutimon
Egg
Egg

Post by marutimon »

Dammy wrote:Why the hatred for Onazi? He was a warrior today and the best Super Eagle. If the much loved Ndidi and Etebo had stepped up their game, maybe we would not have lost. This should be the last time Akpeyi keeps goal for Nigeria. Enyeama needs to come back and if he is still doing yanga, he should feck off! My boy, Awaziem had a stinker and Omeruo should have started, that is on Rohr. He has finally lost his first game, so those who have been waiting for a year to say "I told you so", finally have their chance forgetting that their hero lost at home to a worse team, Congo.
The midfield as a whole had a stinker, because no one was creating anything. Who cares if they worked their a... off, if the frontline were not getting any service?
theYemster
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by theYemster »

platinum wrote:South Africa were the better coached side. Looked more coherent and had a strategy. We looked like, well we looked like a bunch of individuals who'd never met before.

Awaziem over his head. Onazi is no Mikel in ability or leadership. As a unit, we were too slow and too predictable. This one's on the coach.
Leadership isn't about tenure. Personally I would make Ndidi the vice captain of the team deputizing for Mikel.

Like I too said, despite the fact that we were out coached, out played, out hustled, I think the major reason could be attributed to the fact that South African team has probably been together longer including playing the last couple of AFCONs and ours are just getting to play together. Of the starters, only Uwa and Onazi have played longer than a year??? You could see them panic when the south Africans scored and there was no leader to help steady the ship. Neither Musa nor Onazi stepped up to ginger the guys. South Africa had the better game plan and execution on the day. Doesn't mean they're the better team. Their game plan gave them the confidence to play well. Had the situation were reversed and Nigeria sat back while South Africa had to attack to try to break them down, the outcome could've been different. Sitting ban and hitting on the counter can make a team look deceptively better than they actually are. Not taking anything away from SA, just suggesting it's not all doom and gloom.

Anyways it's growing pains. I hope the coaches and FA don't panic even if the fans do. Stay the course. Organize many more scrimmage and pickup games. Have these guys work on their techniques. Shooting/striking the ball (dead ball or on motion), crossing, heading etc. Enuff with the five aside drills.

© ɹ ǝ ʇ s ɯ é ʎ ǝ ɥ ʇ
" ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
zee
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by zee »

txj wrote:
zee wrote:
akamoke wrote:I'm wondering when we will start holding the coach responsible
Cmon...............He is white :D and NATIVES don't blame massa :mrgreen:
I think its time to finally move on from this tired rhetoric...
Ok.........................wowo :D
"Today we remember Nigeria and Africa football legend, Late Coach Stephen Okechukwu Keshi who passed on, on june 7th 2016. Thank you for the memories ‘The Big Boss.’ We can never forget you"............Kanu Nwankwo
wiseone
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by wiseone »

1) An NFF delegation should go to Vince, get on their knees, and beg him to come out of retirement. If Akpeyi is one of the best 3 GKs with a Nigerian passport, we are in big trouble. Akpeyi is about as secure as a prison with no doors.

2) Nigeria really need to become better at game management. In the second half the South African Zungu did a studs up, leg breaker, horror "tackle" on Echiejile. That sort of tackle normally = straight red. Yet the ref did not produce a red card. Other teams get away with murderous tackles against our players (e.g. Matuidi on Onazi) partly because when our players are fouled, their team-mates do not chase the referee, surround him to angrily demand a red card for the opposition player, our GK doesn't run 50 yards out of his goal to get in the faces of the referee and opposition, and our subs bench don't rise up in unison to wave imaginary red cards.

3) Ekong is carrying that back 4.

4) Iheanacho is not ready to be Nigeria's full-time CF. He has a touch of the RVP and Zlatan about him in that he is an excellent finisher with a hawk eye for goal. He also has a touch of the RVP and Zlatan about him in that he does not stretch opposition defences, lacks pace, and does very little when he is not scoring (except he does not have the excuse of being 35). Goal hanging poachers are an endangered species. He needs to become more multi-functional.
asabatex
Egg
Egg

Post by asabatex »

Uyo is jinxed - we must stop playing any meaningful game in Uyo.
We need Mikel and Enyeama back - ASAP. We can beat South Africa away , 2 - 0. With Enyeama in goal, we can win on penalties.
airwolex
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by airwolex »

wiseone wrote:1) An NFF delegation should go to Vince, get on their knees, and beg him to come out of retirement. If Akpeyi is one of the best 3 GKs with a Nigerian passport, we are in big trouble. Akpeyi is about as secure as a prison with no doors.

2) Nigeria really need to become better at game management. In the second half the South African Zungu did a studs up, leg breaker, horror "tackle" on Echiejile. That sort of tackle normally = straight red. Yet the ref did not produce a red card. Other teams get away with murderous tackles against our players (e.g. Matuidi on Onazi) partly because when our players are fouled, their team-mates do not chase the referee, surround him to angrily demand a red card for the opposition player, our GK doesn't run 50 yards out of his goal to get in the faces of the referee and opposition, and our subs bench don't rise up in unison to wave imaginary red cards.

3) Ekong is carrying that back 4.

4) Iheanacho is not ready to be Nigeria's full-time CF. He has a touch of the RVP and Zlatan about him in that he is an excellent finisher with a hawk eye for goal. He also has a touch of the RVP and Zlatan about him in that he does not stretch opposition defences, lacks pace, and does very little when he is not scoring (except he does not have the excuse of being 35). Goal hanging poachers are an endangered species. He needs to become more multi-functional.

Could not have said it better.
Comrade Machel
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Comrade Machel »

theYemster wrote:
platinum wrote:South Africa were the better coached side. Looked more coherent and had a strategy. We looked like, well we looked like a bunch of individuals who'd never met before.

Leadership isn't about tenure. Personally I would make Ndidi the vice captain of the team deputizing for Mikel.

Like I too said, despite the fact that we were out coached, out played, out hustled, I think the major reason could be attributed to the fact that South African team has probably been together longer including playing the last couple of AFCONs and ours are just getting to play together. Of the starters, only Uwa and Onazi have played longer than a year??? You could see them panic when the south Africans scored and there was no leader to help steady the ship. Neither Musa nor Onazi stepped up to ginger the guys. South Africa had the better game plan and execution on the day. Doesn't mean they're the better team. Their game plan gave them the confidence to play well. Had the situation were reversed and Nigeria sat back while South Africa had to attack to try to break them down, the outcome could've been different. Sitting ban and hitting on the counter can make a team look deceptively better than they actually are. Not taking anything away from SA, just suggesting it's not all doom and gloom.

Anyways it's growing pains. I hope the coaches and FA don't panic even if the fans do. Stay the course. Organize many more scrimmage and pickup games. Have these guys work on their techniques. Shooting/striking the ball (dead ball or on motion), crossing, heading etc. Enuff with the five aside drills.
Sorry chief majority of RSA team are newcomers. The only staple players are ones I highlighted the rest are new/newish

ItumelengBAFANA BAFANA XI
Itumeleng Khune, Ramahlwe Mphahlele, Tebogo Langerman, Erick Mathoho, Thulani Hlatshwayo (captain), Dean Furman, Bongani Zungu, Themba Zwane, Keagan Dolly, Sibusiso Vilakazi, Tokelo Rantie.
Ratlala :thumbs: :D

https://youtu.be/8CZLsYase0Q
General Trousers
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by General Trousers »

asabatex wrote:Uyo is jinxed - we must stop playing any meaningful game in Uyo.
We need Mikel and Enyeama back - ASAP. We can beat South Africa away , 2 - 0. With Enyeama in goal, we can win on penalties.
You superstitious Nigerians. This is NOT the reason!

<
F360
Egg
Egg

Post by F360 »

Dammy wrote:Why the hatred for Onazi? He was a warrior today and the best Super Eagle. If the much loved Ndidi and Etebo had stepped up their game, maybe we would not have lost. This should be the last time Akpeyi keeps goal for Nigeria. Enyeama needs to come back and if he is still doing yanga, he should feck off! My boy, Awaziem had a stinker and Omeruo should have started, that is on Rohr. He has finally lost his first game, so those who have been waiting for a year to say "I told you so", finally have their chance forgetting that their hero lost at home to a worse team, Congo.

He should "feck off"?
Is that because Nigeria has a plethora of quality goalkeepers just awaiting the opportunity to take hold of the #1 jersey?
Ikeme and who else is out there?
My guy, better to let Vinny do his yanga and massage the ego, whatever is needed to make him come back and stand between the sticks. At least one will know that is a position that we don't need to fret about every time the team sheet is announced.

--------------------------------------------
vancity eagle
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by vancity eagle »

marutimon wrote:
The midfield as a whole had a stinker, because no one was creating anything. Who cares if they worked their a... off, if the frontline were not getting any service?
Was it Onazi job to create when he was the furthest back ?

No both Ndidi and Etebo had stinkers. Onazi played very well. Only player to turn up today.
cchinukw
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by cchinukw »

:D

Oyinbo na oyinbo :lol: :lol: :lol:

Like say na local coach we would have been asking for his head by now.

Here we have a coach paid in time and humungous amounts by Nigerian standards and he has failed to deliver.

Mscheww!! :mad:
MAGA - Make Arsenal Great Again.

Mind that father made collection of Scifi and fantasy stories
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Mind-That-Father-Made/dp/1907652051
theYemster
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by theYemster »

Samora Machel wrote:
theYemster wrote:

Sorry chief majority of RSA team are newcomers. The only staple players are ones I highlighted the rest are new/newish

ItumelengBAFANA BAFANA XI
Itumeleng Khune, Ramahlwe Mphahlele, Tebogo Langerman, Erick Mathoho, Thulani Hlatshwayo (captain), Dean Furman, Bongani Zungu, Themba Zwane, Keagan Dolly, Sibusiso Vilakazi, Tokelo Rantie.
Well what do you mean by staple cos I count five highlighted? That's still three more than Nigeria and one of the two Nigerians is a left back. Not exactly a pivotal position.

Besides it still doesn't take away from the point that the Nigeria team is relatively still a work in progress even if South Africa's is as well. Both aren't mutually exclusive.

© ɹ ǝ ʇ s ɯ é ʎ ǝ ɥ ʇ
" ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
theYemster
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by theYemster »

wiseone wrote: 4) Iheanacho is not ready to be Nigeria's full-time CF. He has a touch of the RVP and Zlatan about him in that he is an excellent finisher with a hawk eye for goal. He also has a touch of the RVP and Zlatan about him in that he does not stretch opposition defences, lacks pace, and does very little when he is not scoring (except he does not have the excuse of being 35). Goal hanging poachers are an endangered species. He needs to become more multi-functional.
He's terrible with his back to goal and with his still shaky first touch that makes it even worse. Then add to that the fact that he's actually match rusty, yikes.

© ɹ ǝ ʇ s ɯ é ʎ ǝ ɥ ʇ
" ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Cellular
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location: Nembe Creek...Oil Exploration. If you call am bunkering na you sabi.

Post by Cellular »

cchinukw wrote::D

Oyinbo na oyinbo :lol: :lol: :lol:

Like say na local coach we would have been asking for his head by now.

Here we have a coach paid in time and humungous amounts by Nigerian standards and he has failed to deliver.

Mscheww!! :mad:
He is not being paid on time o.

He is not just making any fuss about it.

We got beat... the sliver lining is that it was an AFCON qualifier. Hope he learns and makes the necessary adjustments.
THERE WAS A COUNTRY...

...can't cry more than the bereaved!

Well done is better than well said!!!
Eaglezbeak
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: MATCH THREAD: NIGERIA 0 - 1 SOUTH AFRICA - 2nd Half

Post by Eaglezbeak »

The Eagle wrote:
Eaglezbeak wrote:
zee wrote:
The Eagle wrote:
Synopsis wrote:
The Eagle wrote:
Workman wrote:Only a few months ago, we were playing top notch football. How did things get bad so fast?
Were we playing top notch football .... or were our opponents weak?
Zambia and Algeria weak?
I am not talking about their names and historical records, I am talking about their performances on the day.

If name and historical record was what counted, we would have beaten South Africa today by at least 3 goals .... but we didn't, because we were poor.

Can you concede that there is a chance the Zambia and Algeria teams we played were poor?
Kpom.....................Zambia lost today at home to Mozambique :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
We are now comparing Nigeria to an aging Zambia!
You are still not getting the point.
Yes Nigeria beat Zambia but Zambia are so bad they even lost to Mozambique that much is clear!
WHAT SHALL BE SHALL BE SABI
marutimon
Egg
Egg

Post by marutimon »

theYemster wrote:He's terrible with his back to goal and with his still shaky first touch that makes it even worse. Then add to that the fact that he's actually match rusty, yikes.
People seem to forget he created Nigeria's best scoring opportunity which Etebo skied.