WHO IS WATCHING MEXICO VS USA:

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

db10
Egg
Egg
Naijans in Yankee: US vs Mexico at the Azteca

Post by db10 »

For those for whom yankee has become second (or first) home, how wud you compare
your adoptive team (USA) and the Eagles... Players, coaching etc...

btw, anyone see the first goal? you know that's going to be in a marvel movie trailer soon
Scipio Africanus
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: Naijans in Yankee: US vs Mexico at the Azteca

Post by Scipio Africanus »

Organization: US has a great edge over Nigeria. No doubt about that.

Coaching: Not so sure.

Players: Nigeria edges the US on aggregate.

Summary: The USA have never lost to Nigeria at the senior level.

US 3-2 Nigeria 1995 US Cup

US 2-1 Nigeria 2014 friendly

Wha choo looking at?!
Igugu
Egg
Egg
WHO IS WATCHING MEXICO VS USA:

Post by Igugu »

Any one watching Mexico Vs USA? That goal by the Mexican Number was World Class. Left footed, driven from out side 18.
After watching other nations play, and looking at our Nigerian Team who couldn't kick their ways out of a paper bag; I begin to wonder if we have any business vying for the World Cup qualifier.

We have fallen way back it is not even funny.
Igugu
Egg
Egg

Post by Igugu »

At this moment, USA have left Nigeria in the dust. Until we build our Nigerian League to be of World Standard, Nigeria may not measure up, in the world stage.
fledy
Egg
Egg
Re: WHO IS WATCHING MEXICO VS USA:

Post by fledy »

So true
Synopsis
Egg
Egg

Post by Synopsis »

One loss and eveyone goes crazy.
Man Ataye
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Man Ataye »

Synopsis wrote:One loss and eveyone goes crazy.

Stole my words I was aBout to add .... :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:
The wars fought in the world are only a reflection of the wars fought within people....
Igugu
Egg
Egg

Post by Igugu »

This is not only about one loss. I take a look at the match yesterday, I compare it to the ones before; and compare them to the one in the past, and quality of players performance to the performances of other countries: Germany, Italy, Spain, Mexico, Croatia, Turkey, even US now: I am dismayed at our standard as of now.

Look at this scenario: Before 1990, who ever heard of USA and Soccer? I Had been in US before then and until 1994, one will never see any Soccer event in any US Media outlet. None! But after the 1994 world cup in US, and Atlanta Olympic games after that, US made a decision to develop their local league, MLS. Now even some of the leagues in other parts of the world are looking behind their shoulders.
I bet in the next Five to Ten Years, MLS will one of the world's best; as soon as the players' pays become more attractive. The organization itself is tops.

How many Nigerian Referees are now being called up for the FIFA match tournament? Doesn't that tell us something. Until we make up our minds to change, we will be sliding back and no one to blame.
txj
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by txj »

Love watching Hector Herrera...
Form is temporary; Class is Permanent!
Liverpool, European Champions 2005.

We watched this very boring video, 500 times, of Sacchi doing defensive drills, using sticks and without the ball, with Maldini, Baresi and Albertini. We used to think before then that if the other players are better, you have to lose. After that we learned anything is possible – you can beat better teams by using tactics." Jurgen Klopp
mcal
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by mcal »

Igugu wrote:This is not only about one loss. I take a look at the match yesterday, I compare it to the ones before; and compare them to the one in the past, and quality of players performance to the performances of other countries: Germany, Italy, Spain, Mexico, Croatia, Turkey, even US now: I am dismayed at our standard as of now.

Look at this scenario: Before 1990, who ever heard of USA and Soccer? I Had been in US before then and until 1994, one will never see any Soccer event in any US Media outlet. None! But after the 1994 world cup in US, and Atlanta Olympic games after that, US made a decision to develop their local league, MLS. Now even some of the leagues in other parts of the world are looking behind their shoulders.
I bet in the next Five to Ten Years, MLS will one of the world's best; as soon as the players' pays become more attractive. The organization itself is tops.

How many Nigerian Referees are now being called up for the FIFA match tournament? Doesn't that tell us something. Until we make up our minds to change, we will be sliding back and no one to blame.
...you dey waste your time talking. The thieves and their enablers on CE will either descend on you or ignore it all. They like the status quo. chop chop, steal steal, walk around with fraud in their minds at all times.
mcal
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by mcal »

...if we perform against SA like that yesterday, what will happen vs a tougher Cameroon coming up?
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

Watching USA set up the 5-4-1 defensively is really a beauty and in my opinion was key in today's game. IMHO, this helps solve lots of defensive issues and allows a team using it to morph into a 3-2-4-1 going forward. USA did real well.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Cally
Egg
Egg

Post by Cally »

txj wrote:Love watching Hector Herrera...
He's caught my eye for a while. A consistent performer though for some reason, he always looks to me like he's struggling for breath and could stop any minute.
http://www.meditationsofthesoul.com

"My friends - "We need to really reassess the way we trash our national team, derogate some players and disrespect the people that run our football. Let the brand new Super Eagles become our new Brand of national pride.. The unifying identity for all.. Bar none!" - CE's The Great Seloweizer (6/24/13)

The Arsenal Football Club - "The Deeper The Foundation, The Stronger The Fortress."
txj
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by txj »

Enugu II wrote:Watching USA set up the 5-4-1 defensively is really a beauty and in my opinion was key in today's game. IMHO, this helps solve lots of defensive issues and allows a team using it to morph into a 3-2-4-1 going forward. USA did real well.
Actually it was nominally a 3-4-3, with Beasley and Yeldin as the wing backs. It ended as a 5-4-1 in the closing stages as Mexico pushed forward.

Quite impressed by their defensive organization. But was left wondering how they might have coped if Marquez, Guardado and Moreno had been fit..

We watched this very boring video, 500 times, of Sacchi doing defensive drills, using sticks and without the ball, with Maldini, Baresi and Albertini. We used to think before then that if the other players are better, you have to lose. After that we learned anything is possible – you can beat better teams by using tactics." Jurgen Klopp
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

txj wrote:
Enugu II wrote:Watching USA set up the 5-4-1 defensively is really a beauty and in my opinion was key in today's game. IMHO, this helps solve lots of defensive issues and allows a team using it to morph into a 3-2-4-1 going forward. USA did real well.
Actually it was nominally a 3-4-3, with Beasley and Yeldin as the wing backs. It ended as a 5-4-1 in the closing stages as Mexico pushed forward.

Quite impressed by their defensive organization. But was left wondering how they might have coped if Marquez, Guardado and Moreno had been fit..
Txj,

It began as a 3-4-3 but switched much earlier to a 5-4-1 right after Bradley's goal which was before mid-first half. In essence, they were largely in that set for much of the game. I believe that they would cope even against Marquez and others but it isn't for sure.

I liked the idea and I had previously mentioned it in my blog because not only does it make our defense tighter it allows the wide backs to join the midfield going forward. In my head I think about the base five with Shehu-Omeruo-Ekong-Balogun-Etebo. This way, Shehu and Etebo can become advanced with possession.
Last edited by Enugu II on Mon Jun 12, 2017 3:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Odas
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Odas »

Scipio Africanus wrote:Organization: US has a great edge over Nigeria. No doubt about that.

Coaching: Not so sure.

Players: Nigeria edges the US on aggregate.

Summary: The USA have never lost to Nigeria at the senior level.

US 3-2 Nigeria 1995 US Cup

US 2-1 Nigeria 2014 friendly
In the game you mentioned which I highlighted, we (Nigeria) didn't go with our full squad. I hope you remember, but yeah, we lost.
And the BIBLE says: The race is NOT for the swift, neither is the battle for the strong nor ... but time and chance makes them all.
Ecclesiastes 1:18: For in much wisdom is much grief and he that increases knowledge increases sorrow.
Odas
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Odas »

KPAM! :agree: :agree: :agree: :agree: In a way it is good we lost as already said by some people. This loss will awaken and get us focused in the next assignment (Cameroon's game).
And the BIBLE says: The race is NOT for the swift, neither is the battle for the strong nor ... but time and chance makes them all.
Ecclesiastes 1:18: For in much wisdom is much grief and he that increases knowledge increases sorrow.
txj
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by txj »

Enugu II wrote:
txj wrote:

Txj,

It began as a 3-4-3 but switched much earlier to a 5-4-1 right after Bradley's goal which was before mid-first half. In essence, they were largely in that set for much of the game. I believe that they would cope even against Marquez and others but it isn't for sure.

I liked the idea and I had previously mentioned it in my blog because not only does it make our defense tighter it allows the wide backs to join the midfield going forward. In my head I think about the base five with Shehu-Omeruo-Ekong-Balogun-Etebo. This way, Shehu and Etebo can become advanced with possession.
The main thing I thought was that Mexico lacked a little bit in terms of movement. Osorio tends to muddle his lines too often. Little by way of counter movement by Vela and Lozano, who either stayed wide or cut in, irrespective of Chicha's movement. They ended up playing most of the game on the edges of the US low block...

As for Nigeria. not convinced by the likes of Shehu and Omeruo. Will reserve judgement on Awazie, but he did lack awareness of opposition movement and his positioning...

Without breakout speed in lateral defence, a 5-4-1 for Nigeria is pointless...

Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

txj wrote:
Enugu II wrote:
txj wrote:

Txj,

The main thing I thought was that Mexico lacked a little bit in terms of movement. Osorio tends to muddle his lines too often. Little by way of counter movement by Vela and Lozano, who either stayed wide or cut in, irrespective of Chicha's movement. They ended up playing most of the game on the edges of the US low block...

As for Nigeria. not convinced by the likes of Shehu and Omeruo. Will reserve judgement on Awazie, but he did lack awareness of opposition movement and his positioning...

Without breakout speed in lateral defence, a 5-4-1 for Nigeria is pointless...
On Nigeria, I would think that Etebo has breakout speed but you are correct on Shehu on the right. I do not think that he has that. My thinking though is that a 5-4-1 defensive turning into an offensive 3-2-4-1 could still work even without the speed as it provides more help defensively while narrowing passing angles for the opposition. However, I do agree that breakout speed does improve it particularly switching to a more attacking formation with the ball on a counter.

As for Omeruo, I really do not think he is international class from day 1. But who else do we have? Aweziem, IMHO, is a bit better (see my blog) but the fact is that if Rohr is voicing about experience it is likely that Awaziem may not get another opportunity.
Kabalega
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Kabalega »

This game felt like a World Cup.
USA still has a long way to go though.
“If your opponent is of choleric temper, seek to irritate him. Pretend to be weak, that he may grow arrogant.”- Sun Tzu
Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle

Post by Bigpokey24 »

What a cracker, both teams much better than the SE....the goal by Bradley was worldclass
SuperEagles

© Bigpokey24, most loved on CE
My post are with no warranties and confers zero rights. Get out your feelings
It is not authorized by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use.
All rights aren't reserved
pajimoh
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by pajimoh »

Mindset. If you inject half the pride Ghanaian players have into Nigeria we'd be difficult to beat. For a country that missed the last 2 Nations Cup, I don't think they understood the importance of their first game.

The coach or/and the players messed up. But they have time and enough games to recover
Super Eagles - Fly Above The Storm!!!
TheHitman47
Egg
Egg

Post by TheHitman47 »

I will honestly say that Mexico is the best national team outside of Europe and South America.