Bye Bye Uyo? - Kickoff Chief

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

joao
Egg
Egg
Re: Bye Bye Uyo? - Kickoff Chief

Post by joao »

maceo4 wrote:
Gotti wrote:
joao wrote:Wow!, in 2017 Nigerians are still believing in superstitions about a football venue?
Reasonable folks need not keep propagating ideas that set us back. Can any of those
claiming the Uyo stadium is the reason we are not getting good results provide proof
of why any other location would certainly provide victory even when our SE play rubbish
football?
This argument is quite depressing, considering the claim that we are enlightened.
Abegi, where's the "superstition"? :blink:

Because I see it as no different from the "enlightened" Oyinbo folks that are saying that Spurs do not play well at Wembley Stadium.
Yea but unlike Spurs case, the sample size is waaaaaay to small to start calling it a cursed ground or what not.
Nigeria currently is not playing good football, period.
Just because we've been able to record a few victories does not mean we are playing well.
Trying to cover that fact with the fallacy of location not favouring the team is a very weak argument.
With the current mentality of our players, we cannot defeat a serious team even if they let us field twelve
players. What is lacking is glaring, and we need to rectify that instead of looking for lame excuses.

For example, when was the last time the SE scored a goal like S Africa's second against us?
If we had the same opportunity the through passed would not be executed, because we would
have been romancing the ball till all lanes are covered, or fluffed trying to shoot from afar.

Uyo stadium or not, we lack team discipline.
"We now live in a nation where doctors destroy health, lawyers destroy justice, universities destroy knowledge,
governments destroy freedom, the press destroys information, religion destroys morals, and our banks destroy the economy.”

― Chris Hedges
Gotti
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Gotti »

maceo4 wrote:
Gotti wrote:
joao wrote:Wow!, in 2017 Nigerians are still believing in superstitions about a football venue?
Reasonable folks need not keep propagating ideas that set us back. Can any of those
claiming the Uyo stadium is the reason we are not getting good results provide proof
of why any other location would certainly provide victory even when our SE play rubbish
football?
This argument is quite depressing, considering the claim that we are enlightened.

Because I see it as no different from the "enlightened" Oyinbo folks that are saying that Spurs do not play well at Wembley Stadium.
Yea but unlike Spurs case, the sample size is waaaaaay to small to start calling it a cursed ground or what not.
While (just for the record) I am NOT in favor of moving from Uyo...
I'm afraid that you would have to show me who labeled Uyo "a cursed ground" on THIS thread.

Fact is that folks gave football-related reasons (allegedly 'docile' crowd, for starters) for their advocacy (and in fact EII specified that his data was NOT inferring that Uyo was a cursed ground). Accordingly, to reduce their position to so-called "superstition" just because the discussants are Nigerian or African is, I'm afraid the SOLE 'stupid stereotype' on this thread.
#ENDSARS #BLM
#ENDPOLICEBRUTALITY

#FREESENEGAL
maceo4
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by maceo4 »

Gotti wrote:
maceo4 wrote:
Gotti wrote:
football?

I'm afraid that you would have to show me who labeled Uyo "a cursed ground" on THIS thread.

Fact is that folks gave football-related reasons (allegedly 'docile' crowd, for starters) for their advocacy (and in fact EII specified that his data was NOT inferring that Uyo was a cursed ground). Accordingly, to reduce their position to so-called "superstition" just because the discussants are Nigerian or African is, I'm afraid the SOLE 'stupid stereotype' on this thread.
How is a docile crowd a football related reason? It's only in Nigeria where so called fans turn on their team and start cheering the opponent and we see it as normal or somehow helps our chances of winning.
Super Eagus 4 Life!
Made in the image of God that's a selfie!
airwolex
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by airwolex »

maceo4 wrote:
Gotti wrote:
maceo4 wrote:
Gotti wrote:
football?

How is a docile crowd a football related reason? It's only in Nigeria where so called fans turn on their team and start cheering the opponent and we see it as normal or somehow helps our chances of winning.
Fans turn on their team a lot in England. I can't remember how many times home teams have been booed off at half time with chants of "you are not fit to wear the shirt" after a poor performance - happens often. And Real Madrid fans have once given Ronaldinho and Barcelona a standing ovation after they mauled Madrid in the Bernabau.

Nobody who has watched the SE in Lagos in the 80's and 90's, will fail to notice the difference in passion. Why this is so, is a matter of conjecture.
maceo4
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by maceo4 »

airwolex wrote:
maceo4 wrote:
Gotti wrote:
maceo4 wrote:
Gotti wrote:
football?

Fans turn on their team a lot in England. I can't remember how many times home teams have been booed off at half time with chants of "you are not fit to wear the shirt" after a poor performance - happens often. And Real Madrid fans have once given Ronaldinho and Barcelona a standing ovation after they mauled Madrid in the Bernabau.

Nobody who has watched the SE in Lagos in the 80's and 90's, will fail to notice the difference in passion. Why this is so, is a matter of conjecture.
I know but that's different from cheering for the other team like our fans do. Also I think we should also consider how our young players will react to the extra pressure of a "Lagos" crowd seeing the likes of Ndidi shaking in the Uyo crowd, that might have played into the hands of the experienced SA team.
Super Eagus 4 Life!
Cellular
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location: Nembe Creek...Oil Exploration. If you call am bunkering na you sabi.

Post by Cellular »

Maceo, as a die hard long time Redskins fan, I know first hand about changing venue and losing homefield advantage.

Uyo might be too comfortable for the visiting teams.

IMO, the last game was not due to the home fans docility... it falls squarely on the coaches.

Again, we need to play these games to our advantage. If we feel some teams are easily intimidated by crowd support, we should use it to our advantage. If we want to play teams where we don't need crowd pressure, Uyo is it.
THERE WAS A COUNTRY...

...can't cry more than the bereaved!

Well done is better than well said!!!
Gotti
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Gotti »

maceo4 wrote:How is a docile crowd a football related reason? It's only in Nigeria where so called fans turn on their team and start cheering the opponent and we see it as normal or somehow helps our chances of winning.
Spoken like someone who's apparently never been engaged in competitive sports...
Why do you think Roy Keane criticized the so-called 'prawn sandwich' brigade at Old Trafford?
#ENDSARS #BLM
#ENDPOLICEBRUTALITY

#FREESENEGAL
maceo4
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by maceo4 »

Gotti wrote:
maceo4 wrote:How is a docile crowd a football related reason? It's only in Nigeria where so called fans turn on their team and start cheering the opponent and we see it as normal or somehow helps our chances of winning.
Spoken like someone who's apparently never been engaged in competitive sports...
Why do you think Roy Keane criticized the so-called 'prawn sandwich' brigade at Old Trafford?
If more important "football related" reasons were all the same at all possible venues then I can understand this argument. But will you sacrifice playing on a smooth carpet of a field simply to have a less "docile" crowd? The field the infrastructure, facilities, the roads, the city are all up to date in Uyo, why would we take it to a crappy city full of pot holes, with a
crappy rain flooded playing surface in a dilapidated stadium, simply because the crowd is less "docile". To me thats the last thing we should be worrying about, lets get the infrastructure and stadium of other venues up to Uyo standards then we can pick and choose which one to go with based on the fan presence. So to me its a much less important 'football related reason'.

And for the record, you don't know what I've been involved in, so not sure why you are taking that angle, but no yawa...
Super Eagus 4 Life!
airwolex
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by airwolex »

maceo4 wrote:
Gotti wrote:
If more important "football related" reasons were all the same at all possible venues then I can understand this argument. But will you sacrifice playing on a smooth carpet of a field simply to have a less "docile" crowd? The field the infrastructure, facilities, the roads, the city are all up to date in Uyo, why would we take it to a crappy city full of pot holes, with a
crappy rain flooded playing surface in a dilapidated stadium, simply because the crowd is less "docile". To me thats the last thing we should be worrying about, lets get the infrastructure and stadium of other venues up to Uyo standards then we can pick and choose which one to go with based on the fan presence. So to me its a much less important 'football related reason'.

And for the record, you don't know what I've been involved in, so not sure why you are taking that angle, but no yawa...
Uyo is fine, but the atmosphere can and should be improved upon. Don't kid yourself it doesn't matter. Look at when we went to Egypt for that last qualifier we lost - just see the atmosphere and intimidation the Egyptians generated.

I don't know if it's incumbent on the NFF or the Supporters club. One thing I know is that this is not an entirely natural phenomenon. Fans work tirelessly creating chants, synchronizing songs, making banners and flags, they have special sections for the hardcore fans and those are the ones that do most of the work. Somehow we have lost that. I don't know if it's me but back in the day it seemed that whenever the crowd was baying for the SE to "Give us more goals" it fired up the players and they invariably scored.

Uyo might not be to blame; generally there's less enthusiasm for the SE even in Lagos; heck there's less enthusiasm for Nigeria period. People are more stoked about the EPL, Champions League etc. The NFF really have to work hard to re-brand the SE as winners.
1naija
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by 1naija »

Guys, Port Harcourt gives us more off the field advantage. The last we played Ghaba in PH we lodged them at a hotel right across from Casablanca where they received all night welcome from some University of Aba and Owerri "students" that are always around Casablanca even when school is in session. Needless to say the Ghananese did not cry too much that day.
The Lord is my Shepherd. I shall not be in want.
Gotti
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Gotti »

maceo4 wrote:If more important "football related" reasons were all the same at all possible venues then I can understand this argument. But will you sacrifice playing on a smooth carpet of a field simply to have a less "docile" crowd? The field the infrastructure, facilities, the roads, the city are all up to date in Uyo, why would we take it to a crappy city full of pot holes, with a

Not quite sure how your foregoing thesis that there are other football-related reasons more important than crowd docility validates that those alleging crowd docility were engaged in "superstition" rather than football-related reasons...but like you said, I don't know what you've been involved in. SMH
#ENDSARS #BLM
#ENDPOLICEBRUTALITY

#FREESENEGAL
Donzman
Egg
Egg

Post by Donzman »

airwolex wrote:
maceo4 wrote:
Synopsis wrote:Backward mentality. First time in years that a SE match played in Nigeria possessed a decent pitch and we're ready to discard it because of a loss.

I don't want anyone blaming future losses on bumpy surfaces.
We finally have something close to a world class stadium and we want to ditch it for a cheap 15,000 capacity stadium.
Stupid stereotypes being thrown around about being docile and all types of nonsense as if it's the venue that causes the loss, Nigerians just have to find something or someone to blame. But I doubt this story is true anyway.
I didn't even know that's a stereotype.

Apart from that am I the only one that finds the music from the supporters club sleep inducing, monotonic drivel. Time to change everything about the SE. We are stuck in the 80's!!
Problem is that the leaders of the supporters clubs are the same people from the 80's. Old men who refuse to let go of positions.
Obong
Egg
Egg

Post by Obong »

airwolex wrote:
maceo4 wrote:
Gotti wrote:

Uyo is fine, but the atmosphere can and should be improved upon. Don't kid yourself it doesn't matter. Look at when we went to Egypt for that last qualifier we lost - just see the atmosphere and intimidation the Egyptians generated.

I don't know if it's incumbent on the NFF or the Supporters club. One thing I know is that this is not an entirely natural phenomenon. Fans work tirelessly creating chants, synchronizing songs, making banners and flags, they have special sections for the hardcore fans and those are the ones that do most of the work. Somehow we have lost that. I don't know if it's me but back in the day it seemed that whenever the crowd was baying for the SE to "Give us more goals" it fired up the players and they invariably scored.

Uyo might not be to blame; generally there's less enthusiasm for the SE even in Lagos; heck there's less enthusiasm for Nigeria period. People are more stoked about the EPL, Champions League etc. The NFF really have to work hard to re-brand the SE as winners.
Interesting proposition. It's probably true that if Chelsea were to play Manchester United at the Godswill Akpabio stadium, Uyo, the match would evoke more passion and enthusaism from the crowd, chants and all. Nonetheless, the Super Eagles of yore gave you much to cheer about. In contrast, that team against South Africa looked like they didn't want any part of the match!
"WE ARE THE SUPER EAGLES!!!"